|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occupation did White have when he lived in New York as a young man?
(b) Delivery man.
2. What made White homeless for some time while living in New York?
(a) His mother didn't send the money he needed.
(b) He didn't have enough writing jobs.
(c) He was kicked out of his apartment.
(d) He wanted to write a book about being homeless.
3. How does White say you can spot the people who are disappointed in the city?
(a) They will be taking too many pictures.
(b) They will seem angry about nothing.
(c) They will be packing their bags.
(d) They will be eating quietly.
4. What does White compare the city to?
(a) A vast puzzle.
(b) A play in motion.
(c) A piece of fabric.
(d) Poetry put to music.
5. What does White say keeps all the communities in New York together?
6. What does White try to have a balance of in this book?
(a) Facts and embellishments.
(b) Good and bad comments.
(c) Current and past information.
(d) True and false ideals.
7. How did police mostly do their patrols when White was living in New York?
(a) They rode horses.
(b) They rode bicycles.
(c) They used cars.
(d) They walked.
8. What did the city have to do after the Empire State Building was erected?
(a) Navigate around it.
(b) Pay higher taxes.
(c) Think skyward.
(d) Move forward.
9. What were pulled down in New York since White was a boy?
(a) Park playgrounds.
(b) Old buildings.
(c) Fishing docks.
(d) Elevated railways.
10. What has been gradually removed from the city since White lived there?
(a) Bill boards.
(b) Public schools.
11. What does White say an enemy could use to destroy the city?
(a) Air raids.
(d) Small planes.
12. What kind of tubes take messages from one place to another?
(b) Mail Carriers.
13. What does White say is the only thing that could save the city if they went one day without working together in the different racial communities?
(a) A war.
(b) A payload.
(c) A devastating incident.
(d) A miracle.
14. What parts of the city does White say has changed the most?
(a) The good parts.
(b) The lower parts.
(c) The bad parts.
(d) The higher parts.
15. What part of New York did White live in?
(a) The Upper East Side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes White about New York?
2. What does White say the largest concentration of people forces on the residents?
3. What does White think should have destroyed it years ago?
4. What does White say all people in New York want a shot at?
5. What does White compare the feeling the city gives to its citizens to?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)