|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White say the largest concentration of people forces on the residents?
2. What did the city have to do after the Empire State Building was erected?
(a) Think skyward.
(b) Pay higher taxes.
(c) Move forward.
(d) Navigate around it.
3. What occupation did White have when he lived in New York as a young man?
(b) Delivery man.
4. What does White say most visitors to New York would hate?
(a) Visiting again.
(b) Leaving there.
(c) Living there.
(d) Taking a newcomer on a first trip.
5. What familiar sounds come back to White as he thinks about New York?
(a) Cars and boats.
(b) Yelling and cursing.
(c) Music and laughter.
(d) Rumbles and squeals.
6. What does White compare a non-local visiting New Yorker to?
(a) A fish talking to a bird.
(b) A foreigner coming to a new country.
(c) A commoner coming to a royal court.
(d) An alien visiting a new world.
7. Which of these do the subterranean lines under the city make possible?
(a) Telephone lines.
(b) Sewage dumps.
(c) Animal races.
(d) Rebuilding materials.
8. Why does White say New York builds upwards?
(a) It is their status symbol.
(b) It has no room side to side.
(c) It is symbolic of the people's progression.
(d) It is the modern city of Babel.
9. What is amazing to White about the subterranean lines under the city?
(a) They offer so many great things.
(b) The pros still outweigh the cons.
(c) They never get backed up with so many people using them.
(d) The building of them was simple.
10. What does White compare the feeling the city gives to its citizens to?
(a) A big hug.
(b) A dose of vitamins.
(c) A college education.
(d) An ongoing lecture.
11. What was White's main mode of transportation when he lived in the city?
(b) The train.
(c) The subway.
12. What did White call the working police officers when he lived in New York?
(a) Gum shoes.
(b) Patrol men.
13. What does White give the numbers of?
(a) The populations in different communities.
(b) The populations of different nationalities.
(c) The overall population over the last 10 years.
(d) The number of runs for the transit system.
14. Which of the following was NOT on the list of nationalities living in New York?
(d) Puerto Ricans.
15. What part of New York did White live in?
(a) The Upper East Side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been gradually removed from the city since White lived there?
2. Why will a visitor to New York have a hard time understanding the waiters, according to White?
3. Why does White feel distant from New York?
4. What part of New York has the largest concentration of people?
5. What does White say this book will really be?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)