|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about New York does White say will always remain elusive?
(a) Its influence.
(b) Its effect.
(c) Its personality.
(d) Its true meaning.
2. Which of the following is NOT out of date in this book?
(a) The Broadway reviews.
(b) The tour times.
(c) None of these.
(d) The population statistics.
3. What was strange about this book when it was published?
(a) It was written as a tribute.
(b) It was written under a pseudonym.
(c) Many things had already changed.
(d) All the names in it had been changed.
4. What was the writer of the introduction of this book glad that White couldn't see?
(a) How quickly his book became outdated.
(b) Where his book would be published.
(c) What had become of the city since he wrote it.
(d) How his book had been received.
5. Which of these is something White says people come to New York looking for?
(b) A fresh start.
6. Why did White first go to New York?
(a) To start his writing career.
(b) To live with his sick grandmother.
(c) To meet a woman.
(d) To go to college.
7. How does White seem to feel about "The Wizard of Oz"?
(a) He tolerates it.
(b) He likes it.
(c) He is amazed by it.
(d) He hates it.
8. How does White feel about New York over all?
(a) He hates it.
(b) He respects it.
(c) He fears it.
(d) He loves it.
9. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
(a) The population.
(c) The police force.
(d) The crime.
10. What does White say the people who come to New York from somewhere else all bring with them?
11. What about this book is NOT outdated?
(a) The sites to see.
(b) The train schedules.
(c) The restaurants.
(d) The maps.
12. How many kinds of people does White say are in New York?
13. What was the name of the business the writer of the introduction of this book worked for?
14. What does White compare the city to?
15. Why does White talk about "The Wizard of Oz" while writing about New York?
(a) He thinks New York is that place over the rainbow.
(b) He knows the movie was filmed in New York.
(c) He met one of the actors from the film while in New York.
(d) He identifies with having ruby slippers to take him home from there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White explain just before talking about the kinds of people in New York?
2. Which of these is another thing White says people come to New York looking for?
3. What does the B in E.B. White stand for?
4. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
5. What celebrity did White see in New York one time?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)