|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White say "The Wizard of Oz" was for many people?
(a) A technological advancement.
(b) A happy memory.
(c) An iconic moment.
(d) A family-uniting film.
2. Which of these is something White says people come to New York looking for?
(b) A fresh start.
3. How does the person giving a description of White feel about him?
(a) He cares deeply for him.
(b) He knows him slightly.
(c) He is envious of but admires him.
(d) She is proud of him.
4. What kind of New York resident was the last that White talked about?
(a) The lifers.
(b) The born and bred.
(c) The transplants.
(d) The commuters.
5. Where did White see a celebrity one time in New York?
(a) A park.
(b) A diner.
(c) A bus stop.
(d) A theater.
6. What has New York lost along with its uniqueness, according to White?
(a) Its opportunity.
(b) Its energy.
(c) Its thrill.
(d) Its charm.
7. What does White say about the people who don't want the gifts New York has to offer?
(a) They can avoid it.
(b) They will live in denial.
(c) They will get them anyway.
(d) They should leave.
8. What part of New York does White spend most of his time describing?
(d) The Bronx.
9. What about this book is NOT outdated?
(a) The train schedules.
(b) The restaurants.
(c) The maps.
(d) The sites to see.
10. Why did White first go to New York?
(a) To live with his sick grandmother.
(b) To meet a woman.
(c) To start his writing career.
(d) To go to college.
11. What is a second gift White Said New York gives to all men?
12. What does White say will always be innumerable in New York?
13. What is the first kind of person who lives in New York?
(a) The ones who were born there.
(b) The ones who left, but will return later.
(c) The ones who commute there.
(d) The ones who moved there from somewhere else.
14. What was strange about this book when it was published?
(a) All the names in it had been changed.
(b) It was written as a tribute.
(c) Many things had already changed.
(d) It was written under a pseudonym.
15. What does White attribute the ability for a man to change himself in New York to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What record does White say New York holds?
2. What does the B in E.B. White stand for?
3. What about New York does White say will always remain elusive?
4. Which of the following is NOT out of date in this book?
5. How did White hope New York would progress?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)