|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White say is an important thing that comes along with one of the gifts New York offers to all men?
2. Why was White's book about the city so different from the reality?
(a) He liked his own version.
(b) He had an idealized version in his head.
(c) He didn't live there while writing it.
(d) He refused to see the negative changes.
3. What is the most negative thing White mentions about the city?
(a) Its filth.
(b) Its lack of manners.
(c) Its crime.
(d) Its fast pace.
4. What magazine did White write a lot for?
(a) The New Yorker.
(c) The Washington Post.
5. When did White die?
6. What about New York does White say will always remain elusive?
(a) Its influence.
(b) Its effect.
(c) Its personality.
(d) Its true meaning.
7. What did White refuse to do to this book before publishing it?
(a) Change the names in it.
(b) Publish it at a magazine.
(c) Bring it down to date.
(d) Write it for children.
8. What celebrity did White see in New York one time?
(a) Frank Sinatra.
(b) Fred Astaire.
(c) Fred Stone.
(d) Frank Shelley.
9. What does White say separated people in New York in his old days?
10. Where did White see a celebrity one time in New York?
(a) A bus stop.
(b) A theater.
(c) A diner.
(d) A park.
11. What does White say New York offers that most other cities do not?
(a) Activities and events to attend.
(b) A huge gathering of people.
(c) World cuisines.
(d) Religion of all sorts.
12. What does the B in E.B. White stand for?
13. What was the last name of the man who wrote the introduction to this book?
14. What is White quick to agree on when talking about New York?
(a) It is an iconic city.
(b) It is not for everyone.
(c) It is the best place to live.
(d) There are parts he doesn't approve of.
15. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked White to write this book?
2. Why does White talk about "The Wizard of Oz" while writing about New York?
3. What does White say used to make New York so unique?
4. What was strange about this book when it was published?
5. What is one of the gifts White said New York gives to all men?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)