|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What celebrity did White see in New York one time?
(a) Frank Shelley.
(b) Frank Sinatra.
(c) Fred Astaire.
(d) Fred Stone.
2. What has New York lost along with its uniqueness, according to White?
(a) Its thrill.
(b) Its opportunity.
(c) Its energy.
(d) Its charm.
3. Which of the following is NOT out of date in this book?
(a) The tour times.
(b) The Broadway reviews.
(c) The population statistics.
(d) None of these.
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the kinds of New York residents that White talks about?
(a) The born and bred.
(b) The ever-present.
(c) The transplants.
(d) The commuters.
5. How does White feel about New York over all?
(a) He respects it.
(b) He fears it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He loves it.
6. When did White die?
7. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
8. What about this book is NOT outdated?
(a) The sites to see.
(b) The maps.
(c) The restaurants.
(d) The train schedules.
9. Which of these is another thing White says people come to New York looking for?
10. Who asked White to write this book?
(a) His publisher.
(b) His editor.
(c) His stepson.
(d) His wife.
11. What is in the hearts of the people who bring passion to New York, according to White?
12. How old was White when he first visited New York City?
(a) He was a young man.
(b) He was middle-aged.
(c) He was a young child.
(d) He was a baby.
13. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the stability in New York?
(a) The ever-present.
(b) The transplants.
(c) The commuters.
(d) The born and bred.
14. What did White want the reader to do as he read this book?
(a) Get inspired to visit New York.
(b) Note the changes in New York.
(c) Find their own truths about New York.
(d) Take his word as truth about New York.
15. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
(a) The police force.
(c) The population.
(d) The crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did White see a celebrity one time in New York?
2. Who wrote the introduction to this book?
3. Why did White agree to write this book?
4. What does the B in E.B. White stand for?
5. What is one of the gifts White said New York gives to all men?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)