|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
(a) The crime.
(c) The population.
(d) The police force.
2. What did White want the reader to do as he read this book?
(a) Get inspired to visit New York.
(b) Find their own truths about New York.
(c) Note the changes in New York.
(d) Take his word as truth about New York.
3. Why does White say New York is not as unique anymore?
4. Why did White agree to write this book?
(a) He was given a huge portion of the profits.
(b) His wife liked the idea.
(c) He loves New York.
(d) His stepson worked for the company printing it.
5. What did White say changed New York the most?
6. What magazine did White write a lot for?
(b) The New Yorker.
(d) The Washington Post.
7. Which kind of New York resident does White credit for the passion in New York?
(a) The transplants.
(b) The ever-present.
(c) The lifers.
(d) The commuters.
8. Why is White's stepson happy that White can't see the city now?
(a) He would hate it.
(b) He would never want to leave.
(c) He would be very confused.
(d) He would feel ashamed for writing negative things.
9. What aspect of New York brought in by the residents does White appreciate the most?
10. What does White explain just before talking about the kinds of people in New York?
(a) The landscape.
(b) The history.
(c) The things to do.
(d) The routines.
11. What is one of the gifts White said New York gives to all men?
12. Why didn't White make changes in his manuscript when they happened in New York?
(a) He liked the original version better.
(b) He wanted the reader to do that for himself.
(c) He wanted to age his piece a bit.
(d) He was too close to his deadline.
13. What was the occupation of the celebrity White once met in New York?
14. Why did White make a strange choice of words when talking about what he refused to do in his book before publication?
(a) He wanted people to notice that verbiage.
(b) He didn't like the changes being made.
(c) He was being sarcastic.
(d) He wanted to coin a new phrase.
15. Who gives a good description of White?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His stepson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of New York does White spend most of his time describing?
2. How does the person giving a description of White feel about him?
3. What kind of person does White say the city would not be the same without?
4. What month did White die?
5. What does White say is an important thing that comes along with one of the gifts New York offers to all men?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)