|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did White first go to New York?
(a) To go to college.
(b) To start his writing career.
(c) To live with his sick grandmother.
(d) To meet a woman.
2. How did the writer of the introduction of this book know White?
(a) He was his stepson.
(b) He was his editor.
(c) He was his teacher.
(d) He was his nephew.
3. What does White say is an important thing that comes along with one of the gifts New York offers to all men?
4. What does White say New York offers that most other cities do not?
(a) World cuisines.
(b) A huge gathering of people.
(c) Religion of all sorts.
(d) Activities and events to attend.
5. What kind of publication was the first to print this book?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A magazine.
(c) A newsletter.
(d) A novella.
6. What does White say will always be innumerable in New York?
7. Which of these is something White says people come to New York looking for?
(a) A fresh start.
8. What year was this story written?
9. Which of the following is NOT one of the kinds of New York residents that White talks about?
(a) The born and bred.
(b) The transplants.
(c) The ever-present.
(d) The commuters.
10. What does White say one has to do to change himself in New York?
(a) Take a different train.
(b) Walk down the street.
(c) Attend a play.
(d) Move a few steps.
11. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
(b) The population.
(c) The crime.
(d) The police force.
12. What does White say separated people in New York in his old days?
13. What was White unsure of when he re-visited New York?
(a) The way things had changed.
(b) The places he should visit.
(c) The way he should write about it.
(d) The way he felt about the place.
14. How many kinds of people does White say are in New York?
15. Why does White talk about "The Wizard of Oz" while writing about New York?
(a) He met one of the actors from the film while in New York.
(b) He knows the movie was filmed in New York.
(c) He identifies with having ruby slippers to take him home from there.
(d) He thinks New York is that place over the rainbow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major project was the celebrity involved in that White saw in New York one time?
2. Why does White say New York is not as unique anymore?
3. What has New York lost along with its uniqueness, according to White?
4. How does White feel about New York over all?
5. What does White compare the city to?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)