|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the gifts White said New York gives to all men?
2. How does White seem to feel about "The Wizard of Oz"?
(a) He tolerates it.
(b) He likes it.
(c) He hates it.
(d) He is amazed by it.
3. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the stability in New York?
(a) The transplants.
(b) The commuters.
(c) The born and bred.
(d) The ever-present.
4. What does White say is an important thing that comes along with one of the gifts New York offers to all men?
5. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
6. What was the occupation of the celebrity White once met in New York?
7. What was strange about this book when it was published?
(a) It was written as a tribute.
(b) It was written under a pseudonym.
(c) Many things had already changed.
(d) All the names in it had been changed.
8. What does White say separated people in New York in his old days?
9. What was the occupation of the man who wrote the introduction to this book?
10. What is the first kind of person who lives in New York?
(a) The ones who were born there.
(b) The ones who commute there.
(c) The ones who left, but will return later.
(d) The ones who moved there from somewhere else.
11. What was White's father's occupation?
(b) Piano manufacturer.
(d) Piano teacher.
12. What kind of New York resident does White like the most?
(a) The lifers.
(b) The commuters.
(c) The transplants.
(d) The born and bred.
13. Why does White talk about "The Wizard of Oz" while writing about New York?
(a) He met one of the actors from the film while in New York.
(b) He identifies with having ruby slippers to take him home from there.
(c) He knows the movie was filmed in New York.
(d) He thinks New York is that place over the rainbow.
14. What does White blame for the loss of charm in the city?
(b) The police force.
(c) The crime.
(d) The population.
15. Why is White's stepson happy that White can't see the city now?
(a) He would hate it.
(b) He would never want to leave.
(c) He would feel ashamed for writing negative things.
(d) He would be very confused.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White compare the city to?
2. Why didn't White make changes in his manuscript when they happened in New York?
3. What does White say people CANNOT change while in New York?
4. What has not slowed down in New York since White's death?
5. What kind of New York resident was the last that White talked about?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)