|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of New York does White spend most of his time describing?
(b) The Bronx.
2. What does White say "The Wizard of Oz" was for many people?
(a) A happy memory.
(b) A family-uniting film.
(c) A technological advancement.
(d) An iconic moment.
3. What does White compare the city to?
4. How old was White when he first visited New York City?
(a) He was a young man.
(b) He was a baby.
(c) He was a young child.
(d) He was middle-aged.
5. What has not slowed down in New York since White's death?
(a) The progression.
(b) The energy.
(c) The pace.
(d) The changes.
6. What does White say will always be innumerable in New York?
7. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the restlessness in New York?
(a) The commuters.
(b) The ever-present.
(c) The born and bred.
(d) The transplants.
8. What does White say New York offers that most other cities do not?
(a) World cuisines.
(b) Activities and events to attend.
(c) Religion of all sorts.
(d) A huge gathering of people.
9. What record does White say New York holds?
(a) The highest crime rate.
(b) The highest percentage of diversity.
(c) The highest concentration of people.
(d) The highest gap in wealth and poverty.
10. What celebrity did White see in New York one time?
(a) Fred Stone.
(b) Frank Shelley.
(c) Frank Sinatra.
(d) Fred Astaire.
11. Why does White say New York is not as unique anymore?
12. How does the person giving a description of White feel about him?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) He cares deeply for him.
(c) He is envious of but admires him.
(d) He knows him slightly.
13. Who explains the differences between the New York City written about and the current New York City?
(b) The editor.
(c) The writer of the introduction.
14. What does White attribute the ability for a man to change himself in New York to?
15. How does White feel about New York over all?
(a) He respects it.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He loves it.
(d) He fears it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did White first go to New York?
2. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the stability in New York?
3. What does White explain just before talking about the kinds of people in New York?
4. What kind of person does White say the city would not be the same without?
5. What major project was the celebrity involved in that White saw in New York one time?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)