|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has not slowed down in New York since White's death?
(a) The progression.
(b) The pace.
(c) The changes.
(d) The energy.
2. What aspect of New York brought in by the residents does White appreciate the most?
3. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
(d) All of the answers are correct.
4. What kind of person does White say the city would not be the same without?
(a) The transplants.
(b) The born and bred.
(c) The evangelists.
(d) The tourists.
5. How do we know White cared for New York?
(a) He enjoys the variety there.
(b) He credits his success to the city.
(c) All of the answers are correct.
(d) He writes about the opportunities there.
6. Why did White make a strange choice of words when talking about what he refused to do in his book before publication?
(a) He was being sarcastic.
(b) He wanted to coin a new phrase.
(c) He wanted people to notice that verbiage.
(d) He didn't like the changes being made.
7. Why is White's stepson happy that White can't see the city now?
(a) He would hate it.
(b) He would never want to leave.
(c) He would be very confused.
(d) He would feel ashamed for writing negative things.
8. Why does White say New York is not as unique anymore?
9. What was White's father's occupation?
(a) Piano teacher.
(c) Piano manufacturer.
10. What does White hope to show in his story?
(a) The best way to travel in New York.
(b) The difference in New York over time.
(c) The kind of people who live in New York.
(d) How he became a successful writer.
11. Why was White's book about the city so different from the reality?
(a) He didn't live there while writing it.
(b) He liked his own version.
(c) He refused to see the negative changes.
(d) He had an idealized version in his head.
12. Which of these is another thing White says people come to New York looking for?
13. What does White explain just before talking about the kinds of people in New York?
(a) The history.
(b) The things to do.
(c) The routines.
(d) The landscape.
14. What major project was the celebrity involved in that White saw in New York one time?
(a) The Broadway Revival.
(b) The Wizard of Oz.
(c) A compilation of his greatest news stories.
(d) His autobiography.
15. Why didn't White make changes in his manuscript when they happened in New York?
(a) He was too close to his deadline.
(b) He wanted the reader to do that for himself.
(c) He liked the original version better.
(d) He wanted to age his piece a bit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first kind of person who lives in New York?
2. When did White die?
3. Why did White agree to write this book?
4. What is one of the gifts White said New York gives to all men?
5. How did White hope New York would progress?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)