|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of New York resident does White credit for the stability in New York?
(a) The transplants.
(b) The ever-present.
(c) The born and bred.
(d) The commuters.
2. What was the last name of the man who wrote the introduction to this book?
3. What about New York does White say will always remain elusive?
(a) Its effect.
(b) Its true meaning.
(c) Its influence.
(d) Its personality.
4. Who came up with the different categories of people that White writes about?
(a) His wife.
(b) His stepson.
(c) His father.
5. What does White say New York offers that most other cities do not?
(a) A huge gathering of people.
(b) Activities and events to attend.
(c) World cuisines.
(d) Religion of all sorts.
6. What year was this story written?
7. What aspect of New York brought in by the residents does White appreciate the most?
8. What does White say will always be innumerable in New York?
9. Why did White first go to New York?
(a) To meet a woman.
(b) To live with his sick grandmother.
(c) To go to college.
(d) To start his writing career.
10. What does White attribute the ability for a man to change himself in New York to?
11. What does the E in E.B. White stand for?
12. What is the most negative thing White mentions about the city?
(a) Its fast pace.
(b) Its lack of manners.
(c) Its crime.
(d) Its filth.
13. Which of these does White say New York holds the key to?
14. Who gives a good description of White?
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His stepson.
15. What does White hope to show in his story?
(a) The best way to travel in New York.
(b) The difference in New York over time.
(c) How he became a successful writer.
(d) The kind of people who live in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What month did White die?
2. What does White say the people who come to New York from somewhere else all bring with them?
3. Why was White's book about the city so different from the reality?
4. How does White seem to feel about "The Wizard of Oz"?
5. What does White say separated people in New York in his old days?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)