|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luther think about politics?
(a) politics is peripheral to God's service
(b) politics is only to prohibit religion
(c) politics is the only answer for reform
(d) politics is God's way of working things out
2. What does Luther feel compelled to do as more nuns leave their orders?
(a) to publicize the fact of their leaving
(b) to taunt the Pope about the nuns
(c) to get the nuns to return
(d) to find the nuns homes, husbands, and positions
3. What does Luther hold as necessary to find spiritual answers?
(a) spiritual problems
(b) financial problems
(c) outside advisors
(d) human conflicts
4. What is Luther's firm belief?
(a) that there is benefit in praying for the dead
(b) that the Roman Church will accept his radical ideas
(c) that one man can be baptized in proxy for another
(d) that no man can believe for, or answer for, another man
5. Why does Luther resist getting married?
(a) He thinks he has no time for marriage.
(b) He thinks women are instruments of the Devil.
(c) He thinks he is doomed to martyrdom as a heretic.
(d) He fears having children.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Luther extend the priesthood?
2. With what does Luther substitute for the chants sung by priests?
3. How can Luther be described above all other outstanding attributes he possesses?
4. Why does the Reformation in Saxony cause confusion?
5. What is a frequent struggle for Luther?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part do publications have in the first decade of the Reformation?
2. What two aspects of Luther's life give him comfort?
3. Who ascends to the papacy after Leon X?
4. Describe Luther's decision to marry.
5. What is Luther's stand on educating children?
6. Describe the international impact of Martin Luther.
7. Describe Luther's typical work week.
8. What is the territorial inequity involving Catholics and Lutherans?
9. What is the attitude of Hadrian toward Martin Luther?
10. Briefly describe Luther's writing.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)