|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what do Luther and Erasmus agree?
(a) The Church is the only answer to humanism.
(b) The Church must be preserved at all costs.
(c) The Church has become too big to manage.
(d) The Church has become too legalistic.
2. How does Luther differ with the Catholic Church on the Eucharist?
(a) He believes it should only be taken on Saturday.
(b) He does not believe it slhould be limited to bread and wine.
(c) He does not believe it is necessary in worship.
(d) He does not believe that the bread and wine transform into the body and blood of God.
3. How does Luther describe the idea that the Pope can deliver souls from purgatory?
(a) as audacious
(b) as an undisputed truth
(c) as found in the writings of Paul
(d) as Divine law
4. How long is Luther a monk?
(a) for nineteen years
(b) for his entire life
(c) for three years
(d) for seven years
5. To whom are the ninety-five theses given?
(a) to the rubbish collectors
(b) to the archbishop
(c) to the printer for all Germany
(d) to the Pope
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Luther resume his University studies?
2. Why does Luther preach against indulgences?
3. What does the Pope call Luther?
4. What doctrine does the church maintain?
5. What books of the Bible does Luther use for his first lectures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is Luther confronted with at his hearing before King Charles?
2. What does Luther accomplish while in hiding at Wartburg Castle?
3. Describe Luther's struggle of faith after coming to Wittenberg.
4. How does Luther's disagreement with the church begin with the selling of indulgences on the Day of all Saints?
5. What are the divergent attitudes toward Luther during his lifetime?
6. What does Luther maintain about interpreting Scripture?
7. What is the legal argument Luther makes against the legality of his case?
8. What is the central idea of the Renaissance?
9. Describe Luther's busy life in Wittenberg.
10. Why is Luther under a papal ban and how does he react?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)