|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Luther's trial transferred?
(a) from Germany to Rome
(b) from Germany to Spain
(c) from Rome to Jerusalem
(d) from Rome to Germany
2. What does the Reformation call the issuance of indulgences?
3. How does Luther view confession?
(a) a means of controlling people
(b) useful as long as it is not institutionalized
(c) only as a means of learning
(d) unnecessary and intrusive
4. With whom does Luther prepare to debate?
(a) Frederick the Wise
(b) John Eck
(c) the Pope
(d) the college of cardinals
5. What does Luther say that outrages the Catholic hierarchy?
(a) The Pope can err and a council can err.
(b) The church is based on lies.
(c) Man can only be saved through philosophy.
(d) God is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hides Luther at Wartburg Castle?
2. What is the public opinion about Luther?
3. What makes Luther an international figure?
4. What does the church, according to Bainton, readily admit today?
5. What belief does Luther hold about his becoming a monk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eck raise the question of tradition and how does Luther respond?
2. List the major works of Luther while awaiting trial.
3. Describe Luther's struggle of faith after coming to Wittenberg.
4. When do Luther and Erasmus seem to be in accord?
5. What is Luther's initial expectation about living as a monk?
6. What is the central idea of the Renaissance?
7. How does Luther become both a national and an international figure?
8. What does Luther maintain about interpreting Scripture?
9. Briefly describe where different people stand in relationship to Luther and his defense.
10. What steps are taken by the Vatican to justify trying Luther as a heretic?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)