|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Here I Stand.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the Papal bull "Cum Postquam" issued?
(a) November 9, 1518
(b) January 1, 1519
(c) October 31, 1518
(d) December 1518, post dated 1517
2. In what area does Luther distinguish himself at the university?
(a) as a lecturer on the Apostle Paul
(b) as a parochial preacher
(c) as a student advocate
(d) as a defender of the Catholic church
3. To whom are the ninety-five theses given?
(a) to the Pope
(b) to the rubbish collectors
(c) to the printer for all Germany
(d) to the archbishop
4. What is the effect of the cartoon showing Jesus washing the disciples' feet while the Pope has his foot kissed?
(a) Christ is belittled
(b) no one gets the point
(c) The Pope is elevated
(d) the Pope is shamed
5. What is the commonly accepted belief about gaining the hereafter in Luther's Germany?
(a) self-study as an excellent way to heaven
(b) self-denial as an excellent way to heaven
(c) higher education as an excellent way to heaven
(d) monasticism as an excellent way to heaven
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hans Luther say his son should study to earn a living and not enter the monastery?
2. What label does Humanism place on the indulgences?
3. How does Luther fare as a novice in the monastery?
4. What does Luther attempt to do unsuccessfully?
5. From what is it that Luther insists no man can separate another?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)