|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does King John turn to the Pope as an ally in Chapter 33?
2. How do the people of Bangor react when Llewelyn rides into town with Joanna at his side in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
3. What family member does King John learn has betrayed him in Chapter 40?
4. What promise does Llewelyn force Joanna to make before taking her back as his wife in Chapter 32?
5. What, in Chapter 8, does Gruffydd challenge Llewelyn to do that makes Joanna fear that Gruffydd had intended to kill Llewelyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joanna react to King John's attempts to humiliate her husband after he surrenders before the King?
2. Why does Isabelle remarry? How does King Henry respond to Isabelle's choices?
3. Why does Gruffydd take up arms against his father in Chapter 4 of Book 2?
4. What is significant about the hostages and the number of hostages King John demands of Llewelyn after his surrender as a sign of good faith?
5. Why does Llewelyn refuse to accept any of Joanna's letters?
6. Why does Joanna goad Gruffydd into an argument in Aber's great hall in Chapter 8 of Book 2?
7. What is significant about the title given to Llewelyn by the other leaders in his country, Prince of Wales?
8. What punishment does the Pope level on King Philip of France for his continued fight against King John?
9. Why does Llewelyn decide to go against Welsh law and embrace the laws of the Church when it comes to the laws of inheritance?
10. Who does Elen marry? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does John decide to have Joanna marry Llewelyn? What does this do for Joanna that she might not have otherwise? What does Joanna think of Llewelyn the first time she meets him? What does Joanna think of the future marriage? Why does Joanna get into an argument with Maude de Braose at her own wedding? How does Llewelyn react? Why do Joanna and Llewelyn not consummate their marriage on their wedding night? If this were revealed what might it do to Joanna's reputation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the death of King John. With whom is King John battling in the final days of his life? How does King John lose his entire treasury? What causes King John to become ill? Where is John taken as he battles his illness? Who does John name as his heir? Who is with John when he dies? For what reason? Why does Joanna suffer regret when her father dies? What change does King John's death bring to England? How does King John's death impact Wales?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following character relationships in detail, citing supporting information from the novel:
1) John and Joanna
2) Eleanor of Aquitaine and John
3) Eleanor of Aquitaine and Joanna.
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)