|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Llewelyn force Joanna to make before taking her back as his wife in Chapter 32?
2. Where does Joanna go after leaving Wales in Chapter 32?
3. Why does Joanna refuse to accompany Llewelyn to visit King John in Chapter 38?
4. What does Joanna recognize in Gruffydd when he returns to Wales after being held by King John as a hostage?
5. What news does a rider bring King John as he finishes his noon meal in Chapter 41?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Llewelyn decide to go against Welsh law and embrace the laws of the Church when it comes to the laws of inheritance?
2. Why does Gruffydd take up arms against his father in Chapter 4 of Book 2?
3. Why is Llewelyn unconcerned when he learns that King John will be leading an army into Wales in Chapter 27?
4. What story does Will de Braose tell Joanna that causes them to begin an intimate affair in Chapter 9 of Book 2?
5. Why does Llewelyn refuse to accept any of Joanna's letters?
6. Why is Joanna sent into exile at one of Llewelyn's seaside castles in Chapter 12?
7. What does Llewelyn's decision to confront Joanna and ask her to return to him in Wales say about his feelings for his young wife? What might this foreshadow for the relationship as the novel continues to develop?
8. Why does Gruffydd challenge his father to ride a wild stallion in Chapter 8 of book 2?
9. Why are the people of Wales shocked when Llewelyn returns Joanna to her rightful place as his wife?
10. What does Gruffydd tell Davydd in Chapter 37 that reveals Gruffydd's continuing unhappiness with Llewelyn's marriage to Joana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Eleanor of Aquitaine? Why was she in prison for many years? Who was her first husband? Who was her second husband? Why did Eleanor have her first marriage annulled? Why did Eleanor humiliate her second husband? What was the result of that humiliation? Why does Eleanor encourage Richard to make John his heir instead of Richard's own child, Arthur? What does Joanna think of Eleanor upon their first meeting? Why does Arthur attempt to kidnap Eleanor? How does John save her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following relationships in detail:
1) Joanna and John
2) Joanna and Llewelyn
3) Llewelyn and Gruffydd
4) Joanna and Gruffydd.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Joanna? What is significant about her birth? Why does Joanna's mother commit suicide? Why is Joanna sent to live with her father? How does Joanna's father respond to meeting his daughter for the first time? How does Joanna feel about her father? How does Joanna respond to meeting her stepmother for the first time? Why? What does this suggest about Joanna's future?
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)