|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Eleanor leave King Henry and return to her own lands in Aquitaine?
2. What is Aber?
3. Who brings an army toward Eleanor's whereabouts in order to take her captive in a fight against King John?
4. What is the name of the Castle where Llewelyn lived with his mother and stepfather in 1183?
5. How many separate kingdoms are there in Wales as the novel begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did King Henry have his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, imprisoned for multiple years?
2. Why does John continuously scheme against his brother Richard? Why does Eleanor of Aquitaine discourage this?
3. What does Maude de Braose say in Chapter 23 that causes the destruction of her family?
4. Why does John convince the Count of Angouleme to allow him to marry his daughter, Isabelle?
5. What law forces Llewelyn's mother, Marared, to allow her son to remain in Wales and reclaim his father's lands?
6. Who does Llewelyn offer sanctuary to in Chapter 26?
7. Who is Eleanor of Aquitaine and why does she come to visit John after the death of King Henry?
8. In Chapter 5, who does Llewelyn capture in Wales?
9. For what reason does Morgan tell Llewelyn that Richard might never have an heir to take over the crown of England should he be made Henry's heir?
10. What gift does Joanna want to give to Llewelyn that she cannot wait until morning to deliver?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following relationships in detail:
1) Joanna and John
2) Joanna and Llewelyn
3) Llewelyn and Gruffydd
4) Joanna and Gruffydd.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Joanna? What is significant about her birth? Why does Joanna's mother commit suicide? Why is Joanna sent to live with her father? How does Joanna's father respond to meeting his daughter for the first time? How does Joanna feel about her father? How does Joanna respond to meeting her stepmother for the first time? Why? What does this suggest about Joanna's future?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Eleanor of Aquitaine? Why was she in prison for many years? Who was her first husband? Who was her second husband? Why did Eleanor have her first marriage annulled? Why did Eleanor humiliate her second husband? What was the result of that humiliation? Why does Eleanor encourage Richard to make John his heir instead of Richard's own child, Arthur? What does Joanna think of Eleanor upon their first meeting? Why does Arthur attempt to kidnap Eleanor? How does John save her?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)