|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What castle falls to King Philip in Chapter 40 that leaves King John wondering if his people will betray him?
(a) Windsor Castle.
(b) Rochester Castle.
(c) Nottingham Castle.
(d) Dover Castle.
2. Who forces himself on Joanna in Chapter 5, kissing her on the stairwell?
(b) King Henry.
(c) Will de Braose.
3. How is Gruffydd's release finally secured?
(a) A charter created by rebel barons and signed by King John.
(b) A letter written by Joanna.
(c) A request made by King John's son, Richard.
(d) An order issued by the Pope.
4. Where does Joanna go after leaving Wales in Chapter 32?
(a) To Conisbrough Castle.
(b) To Fontevrault Abbey.
(c) To Grantham.
(d) To Westminster.
5. To whom does Joanna compare her own exile at her husband's hands?
(b) Eleanor of Aquintaines.
(d) Elen of Chester.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Pope do that increases King John's unhappiness with Wales and with Llewelyn personally?
2. Why does Llewelyn go to see Joanna during their separation in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
3. Where is King John's body interred after his death?
4. What territories in Normandy does Louis control as described in Chapter 1?
5. What has Joanna's affair caused Llewelyn and the people of Wales to question in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does King John accuse Llewelyn of when they meet in Chapter 38?
2. Why does King Henry ask the Pope to declare Joanna a legitimate child of King John? How does the Pope do this?
3. Why does Isabelle remarry? How does King Henry respond to Isabelle's choices?
4. Why does Llewelyn decide to go against Welsh law and embrace the laws of the Church when it comes to the laws of inheritance?
5. What cruelty on her father's part does Joanna learn in Chapter 31 that forces her to acknowledge that her father is not the kind man she always thought he was?
6. What story does Will de Braose tell Joanna that causes them to begin an intimate affair in Chapter 9 of Book 2?
7. What enemy becomes King John's ally in Chapter 36?
8. Why is Joanna sent into exile at one of Llewelyn's seaside castles in Chapter 12?
9. Why does Joanna goad Gruffydd into an argument in Aber's great hall in Chapter 8 of Book 2?
10. Why does Llewelyn refuse to accept any of Joanna's letters?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)