|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness is King John suffering when Llewelyn visits him in Chapter 38?
(d) A common cold.
2. To whom does Joanna compare her own exile at her husband's hands?
(a) Eleanor of Aquintaines.
(b) Elen of Chester.
3. How does Gruffydd react to being back in Normandy in Chapter 2?
(a) He is saddened that he does not have the opportunity to exact revenge against John.
(b) Happy that he returns as a free man to see all he missed as a hostage.
(c) He is exhilerated to return to the land where he knew freedom.
(d) He feels claustrophobic and confined as he was in his final days with King John.
4. What promise does Llewelyn force Joanna to make before taking her back as his wife in Chapter 32?
(a) She will use her influence to force King John to release the surviving hostages.
(b) That she will disown her own father.
(c) That she will never leave him again.
(d) That she will no longer divide her loyalties between Llewelyn and John.
5. For what reason does King John agree to accept Llewelyn's surrender in Chapter 28?
(a) To make a point to the Welsh people.
(b) To secure Davydd's future and Joanna's crown.
(c) To protect his own pride.
(d) To make amends with his son-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Llewelyn meet on the battlefield in Chapter 6?
2. How long was Joanna imprisoned on the Irish Sea?
3. What happened to Will de Braose after his indiscretion with Joanna was discovered?
4. Who forces himself on Joanna in Chapter 5, kissing her on the stairwell?
5. What causes a falling out between Joanna and Llewelyn in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What enemy becomes King John's ally in Chapter 36?
2. What is significant about the hostages and the number of hostages King John demands of Llewelyn after his surrender as a sign of good faith?
3. Why is Joanna sent into exile at one of Llewelyn's seaside castles in Chapter 12?
4. Who comes to live with Joanna and Llewelyn at Aber, showing a devotion Joanna feels is her punishment for all her sins?
5. What does Llewelyn's decision to confront Joanna and ask her to return to him in Wales say about his feelings for his young wife? What might this foreshadow for the relationship as the novel continues to develop?
6. Why does Gruffydd challenge his father to ride a wild stallion in Chapter 8 of book 2?
7. How are the King's treasures lost in Chapter 41? Who is responsible?
8. Why does Llewelyn decide to go against Welsh law and embrace the laws of the Church when it comes to the laws of inheritance?
9. Why does Gruffydd take up arms against his father in Chapter 4 of Book 2?
10. How does Joanna react to King John's attempts to humiliate her husband after he surrenders before the King?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)