|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does King John turn to the Pope as an ally in Chapter 33?
(a) To take away King Philip's legitimate cause for war.
(b) To take away the Welsh Princes' legitimate cause for war.
(c) To enforce Interdict over his enemies.
(d) To cause the excommunication of John's enemies.
2. Who dies at the beginning of Chapter 7 after being shipwrecked while sailing from Gascony back to England?
(a) King Henry.
(c) Will, brother of John.
(d) Richard, brother of Joanna.
3. What surprise does Llewleyn arrange for Joanna in Chapter 5 after the wedding of their daughter, Elen?
(a) A wedding night as their first should have been.
(b) A new necklace.
(c) A candlelit dinner.
(d) A vacation to Shropeshire.
4. Who is Senena?
(a) Gruffydd's wife.
(b) Isabelle's maid.
(c) Llewelyn's daughter.
(d) Joanna's new maid.
5. Why does Joanna refuse to accompany Llewelyn to visit King John in Chapter 38?
(a) Joanna is afraid seeing her father again will cause her to renew her loyalties to him.
(b) Joanna is reluctant to admit her change in loyalties to her father.
(c) Joanna is afraid John will disown her for her loyalties to Llewelyn.
(d) Joanna cannot face her father after learning the truth of his cruelties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a falling out between Joanna and Llewelyn in Chapter 8?
2. Who, in Chapter 8, collapses at Easter and dies, shocking everyone present?
3. What does Joanna recognize in Gruffydd when he returns to Wales after being held by King John as a hostage?
4. Who is King John raising an army to battle in Chapter 33?
5. What does Gruffydd find exciting about his first few months as King John's captive in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the hostages and the number of hostages King John demands of Llewelyn after his surrender as a sign of good faith?
2. Who does Elen marry? Why?
3. How does Joanna react to King John's attempts to humiliate her husband after he surrenders before the King?
4. Why does Isabelle remarry? How does King Henry respond to Isabelle's choices?
5. Why is Llewelyn unconcerned when he learns that King John will be leading an army into Wales in Chapter 27?
6. What punishment does the Pope level on King Philip of France for his continued fight against King John?
7. What is significant about the title given to Llewelyn by the other leaders in his country, Prince of Wales?
8. Why does Llewelyn refuse to accept any of Joanna's letters?
9. Why are the people of Wales shocked when Llewelyn returns Joanna to her rightful place as his wife?
10. What does King John accuse Llewelyn of when they meet in Chapter 38?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)