|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does King John agree to accept Llewelyn's surrender in Chapter 28?
(a) To protect his own pride.
(b) To make a point to the Welsh people.
(c) To make amends with his son-in-law.
(d) To secure Davydd's future and Joanna's crown.
2. What has Joanna's affair caused Llewelyn and the people of Wales to question in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
(a) Joanna's loyalty.
(b) Joanna's honesty.
(c) Davydd's paternity.
(d) Elen's paternity.
3. What does the Pope do that increases King John's unhappiness with Wales and with Llewelyn personally?
(a) Promises paradise to all Welshmen who take up arms against King John.
(b) Excommunicates King John, but not Llewelyn.
(c) Lifts the Interdict from Wales and frees the Princes of Wales from the oath to King John.
(d) Allows Llewelyn the right to appoint the Archbishop of Cantebury.
4. What does Llewelyn do that causes King John, in Chapter 30, to begin executing hostages?
(a) Divorced Joanna.
(b) Stole from King John's treasury.
(c) Made a bargain with the Pope to assasinate King John.
(d) Sieze lands belonging to King John that once belonged to Wales.
5. Who escorts Isabella de Braose to Cricieth in Chapter 15 of Book 2?
(a) Eva de Braose, Will's wife.
(b) Davvyd, Isabella's fiance.
(c) Nell, Joanna's half sister.
(d) Richard, Joanna's half brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Gruffydd spent the months since the hangings at Nottingham?
2. Who is King John raising an army to battle in Chapter 33?
3. What surprise does Llewleyn arrange for Joanna in Chapter 5 after the wedding of their daughter, Elen?
4. Who forces himself on Joanna in Chapter 5, kissing her on the stairwell?
5. What territories in Normandy does Louis control as described in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gruffydd take up arms against his father in Chapter 4 of Book 2?
2. How does Joanna react to King John's attempts to humiliate her husband after he surrenders before the King?
3. What cruelty on her father's part does Joanna learn in Chapter 31 that forces her to acknowledge that her father is not the kind man she always thought he was?
4. Why does Llewelyn decide to go against Welsh law and embrace the laws of the Church when it comes to the laws of inheritance?
5. What story does Will de Braose tell Joanna that causes them to begin an intimate affair in Chapter 9 of Book 2?
6. Why does Gruffydd challenge his father to ride a wild stallion in Chapter 8 of book 2?
7. Why does King Henry ask the Pope to declare Joanna a legitimate child of King John? How does the Pope do this?
8. Why does Llewelyn refuse to accept any of Joanna's letters?
9. What does Llewelyn's decision to confront Joanna and ask her to return to him in Wales say about his feelings for his young wife? What might this foreshadow for the relationship as the novel continues to develop?
10. Who comes to live with Joanna and Llewelyn at Aber, showing a devotion Joanna feels is her punishment for all her sins?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)