|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Elen give for not wanting to marry the man her father has chosen for her in Chapter 5?
(a) She does not like him.
(b) She would prefer to be a nun.
(c) She loves someone else.
(d) She wants to choose her own husband.
2. What is the name of the castle to which Llewelyn exiles Joanna in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
3. Where does Joanna go after leaving Wales in Chapter 32?
(a) To Grantham.
(b) To Westminster.
(c) To Conisbrough Castle.
(d) To Fontevrault Abbey.
4. Who objects to the plan Joanna conceives in Chapter 27 to aid in Llewelyn's decision to surrender to King John?
(d) Wiiliam de Braose.
5. Where has Gruffydd spent the months since the hangings at Nottingham?
(a) A seaside castle.
(b) A cell.
(c) A dark cellar.
(d) A locked bed chamber.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gruffydd find exciting about his first few months as King John's captive in Chapter 29?
2. Who is Senena?
3. Who forces himself on Joanna in Chapter 5, kissing her on the stairwell?
4. What has Joanna's affair caused Llewelyn and the people of Wales to question in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
5. How do the people of Bangor react when Llewelyn rides into town with Joanna at his side in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the title given to Llewelyn by the other leaders in his country, Prince of Wales?
2. What does Gruffydd tell Davydd in Chapter 37 that reveals Gruffydd's continuing unhappiness with Llewelyn's marriage to Joana?
3. What story does Will de Braose tell Joanna that causes them to begin an intimate affair in Chapter 9 of Book 2?
4. What cruelty on her father's part does Joanna learn in Chapter 31 that forces her to acknowledge that her father is not the kind man she always thought he was?
5. What does Llewelyn's decision to confront Joanna and ask her to return to him in Wales say about his feelings for his young wife? What might this foreshadow for the relationship as the novel continues to develop?
6. Why does King Henry ask the Pope to declare Joanna a legitimate child of King John? How does the Pope do this?
7. Why does Joanna confront her brother Richard after leaving Lleweyn in Chapter 32?
8. How are the King's treasures lost in Chapter 41? Who is responsible?
9. What is significant about the hostages and the number of hostages King John demands of Llewelyn after his surrender as a sign of good faith?
10. How does Joanna react to King John's attempts to humiliate her husband after he surrenders before the King?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)