|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gwenwynwyn, Prince of Lower Powys, become involved in the struggle between King John and his disgraced old friend in Chapter 24?
(a) Gwenwynwyn tries to take lands border his territory in Wales during the chaos between John and his old friend.
(b) Gwenwynwyn decides to help John's old friend against John's army.
(c) Gwenwynwyn owns some of the lands where the conflict between John and his old friend are taking place.
(d) Gwenwynwyn decides to help John fight back his old friend's raids.
2. What was Geoffrey's, son of Henry Plantagenet, title before his untimely death?
(a) Count of Le Mans.
(b) Count of Poitou.
(c) Duke of Brittany.
(d) Duke of Aquitaine.
3. Why does Joanna's new husband cut himself and bleed on their sheets during the night?
(a) To help cure a cold.
(b) To simulate an enemy attack.
(c) To simulate the blood of Joanna's broken maidenhead.
(d) To play a trick on Joanna.
4. How much money does King John ask his old friend to pay to settle old debts in Chapter 23?
(a) Eight hundred marks.
(b) Fifteen hundred marks.
(c) One thousand marks.
(d) Five hundred marks.
5. What is unusual about Joanna's labor that causes those caring for her to fear for her life in Chapter 24?
(a) The water did not break on its own and Joanna bled heavily.
(b) The labor pains were weak, delaying the delivery.
(c) The baby was in the wrong position and refused attempts to move.
(d) A Cesarean had to be performed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eleanor of Aquitaine prefer that John be king over Arthur, as she states in Chapter 8?
2. Who claims Richard named John his heir on his death bed?
3. How does Joanna feel about this arranged marriage?
4. What language is spoken in Normandy in 1183?
5. Who built Dolwyddelan Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Llewelyn offer sanctuary to in Chapter 26?
2. Who is Stephen de Hodnet and why has he come to Llewelyn?
3. For what reason does Morgan tell Llewelyn that Richard might never have an heir to take over the crown of England should he be made Henry's heir?
4. For what reason has Llewelyn ab Iowerth come to live in Shropshire? From where has he come? How does he feel about this?
5. What law forces Llewelyn's mother, Marared, to allow her son to remain in Wales and reclaim his father's lands?
6. What is Eleanor's relationship like with King John in the final years of her life? How does she die?
7. In the six or seven years that Llewleyn has been back in Wales, what territories has he managed to capture? Why?
8. Who is Eleanor of Aquitaine and why does she come to visit John after the death of King Henry?
9. Why has King John had a falling out with William de Braose in Chapter 22?
10. What happens to Llewelyn after he begins the trip back to Caus Castle from Shrewsbury?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)