|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does King John spend the final hours of his life doing?
(a) Praying for a recovery.
(b) Writing letters dictating orders for his successor.
(c) Regretting past mistakes.
(d) Writing a will.
2. For what reason does King John agree to accept Llewelyn's surrender in Chapter 28?
(a) To protect his own pride.
(b) To make a point to the Welsh people.
(c) To make amends with his son-in-law.
(d) To secure Davydd's future and Joanna's crown.
3. What, in Chapter 8, does Gruffydd challenge Llewelyn to do that makes Joanna fear that Gruffydd had intended to kill Llewelyn?
(a) Swim in a frozen sea.
(b) Fight a champion swordsman.
(c) Ride a wild horse.
(d) Eat raw oysters.
4. Where do Llewelyn and Gruffydd meet in battle in Chapter 4?
(b) Cader Idris.
(c) Craig Aderyn.
5. What reason does Elen give for not wanting to marry the man her father has chosen for her in Chapter 5?
(a) She loves someone else.
(b) She does not like him.
(c) She would prefer to be a nun.
(d) She wants to choose her own husband.
6. Who is the first to recant his loyalty to Llewelyn after the ceremony naming Llewelyn the Prince of Wales?
7. How does King John humiliate Llewelyn at the ceremony in which he accepts Llewelyn's surrender?
(a) He makes Llewelyn bow to him.
(b) He breaks Llewelyn's sword.
(c) He spits on Llewelyn.
(d) He takes away Llewelyn's lands.
8. Where has John been staying when Richard goes to meet up with him in Chapter 33?
(a) Nottingham with Isabelle.
(b) Ewell with the Knights Templar.
(c) Fontevrault Abbey with Eleanor.
(d) Wales with Joanna.
9. Where does Joanna go after leaving Wales in Chapter 32?
(a) To Grantham.
(b) To Fontevrault Abbey.
(c) To Westminster.
(d) To Conisbrough Castle.
10. What surprise does Llewleyn arrange for Joanna in Chapter 5 after the wedding of their daughter, Elen?
(a) A wedding night as their first should have been.
(b) A vacation to Shropeshire.
(c) A candlelit dinner.
(d) A new necklace.
11. With whom does Joanna discover her daughter, Elen, is having an affair?
(a) Earl of Chester.
(d) Robert de Quincy.
12. Why does Llewelyn go to see Joanna during their separation in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
(a) To see her one last time before she is exiled to England.
(b) To finalize plans for her hanging.
(c) To ask for a divorce.
(d) To learn the truth.
13. How long was Joanna imprisoned on the Irish Sea?
(a) Six months, twenty days.
(b) Twenty months, thirty days.
(c) Nine months, thirteen days.
(d) Twelve months, five days.
14. What does Joanna confide in Isabelle in Chapter 1 that caused some tension in her marriage?
(a) Llewelyn's fight against Gwenwynwyn.
(b) Llewelyn's decision to support Louis in the fight against King John.
(c) Llewelyn's decision to expand his territory into Normandy.
(d) Llewelyn's decision to turn on the other Princes of Wales.
15. What news does a rider bring King John as he finishes his noon meal in Chapter 41?
(a) The Scots King approaches with a large army.
(b) King Louis is approaching with a large army.
(c) Isabelle has died in childbirth.
(d) The men and horses carrying the national treasure have gotten caught in quicksand at high tide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King John give to Llewelyn to prove his desire for peace in Chapter 38?
2. What happened to Will de Braose after his indiscretion with Joanna was discovered?
3. What does Joanna recognize in Gruffydd when he returns to Wales after being held by King John as a hostage?
4. Who objects to the plan Joanna conceives in Chapter 27 to aid in Llewelyn's decision to surrender to King John?
5. How do the people of Bangor react when Llewelyn rides into town with Joanna at his side in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)