|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Gruffydd spent the months since the hangings at Nottingham?
(a) A seaside castle.
(b) A cell.
(c) A dark cellar.
(d) A locked bed chamber.
2. How does Llewelyn react in Chapter 8 when he walks in on an argument between Gruffydd and Joanna that has resulted in Gruffydd disrespecting his stepmother in public?
(a) Disowns him and sends him away.
(b) Exhiles him to Normandy.
(c) Orders his death.
(d) Imprisons him in a deserted castle.
3. In what seaport does King John end up attending a feast in Chapter 41 as he travels with his army in hopes of capturing the Scots King?
4. Where is King John's body interred after his death?
(c) Fontevrault Abbey.
5. How did Maude de Braose die?
(a) She suffered a heart attack.
(b) She was starved.
(c) She was hung.
(d) She was beheaded.
6. What hostage from his battles does Llewleyn send to stay at Rhosyr in Chapter 9?
(a) Stephen de Hodnet.
(b) Eleanor, Joanna's cousin.
(c) Will de Braose.
(d) Richard, Joanna's brother.
7. How is Gruffydd's release finally secured?
(a) An order issued by the Pope.
(b) A letter written by Joanna.
(c) A request made by King John's son, Richard.
(d) A charter created by rebel barons and signed by King John.
8. Who gives King John directions for crossing the River Wellstream on the day following the feast in Chapter 41?
(a) The Prior.
(b) Peter of the Bail.
(c) Brother Thomas.
9. What causes Louis to relinquish his territories in Normandy and end the war?
(a) Pressure from the Pope.
(b) The involvement of the Prince of Wales.
(c) Anti-French antagonism.
(d) Pressure from his father, King Philip.
10. What does the Pope do that increases King John's unhappiness with Wales and with Llewelyn personally?
(a) Allows Llewelyn the right to appoint the Archbishop of Cantebury.
(b) Lifts the Interdict from Wales and frees the Princes of Wales from the oath to King John.
(c) Excommunicates King John, but not Llewelyn.
(d) Promises paradise to all Welshmen who take up arms against King John.
11. What castle falls to King Philip in Chapter 40 that leaves King John wondering if his people will betray him?
(a) Windsor Castle.
(b) Nottingham Castle.
(c) Rochester Castle.
(d) Dover Castle.
12. How old was Prince Maelgwn's younger son when King John had him hanged in Shrewsbury?
(c) Just turned twelve.
(d) Not yet seven.
13. Where do Llewelyn and Gruffydd meet in battle in Chapter 4?
(b) Craig Aderyn.
(d) Cader Idris.
14. How do the people of Bangor react when Llewelyn rides into town with Joanna at his side in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
(a) With cheering.
(b) With silence.
(c) With curses.
(d) With boos.
15. To whom does Joanna compare her own exile at her husband's hands?
(b) Elen of Chester.
(d) Eleanor of Aquintaines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Windsor Castle damaged and in disarray when Joanna arrives for a visit in Chapter 1?
2. Where does Llewelyn find Joanna more than a month after she left Wales?
3. What reason does Elen give for not wanting to marry the man her father has chosen for her in Chapter 5?
4. What promise does Llewelyn force Joanna to make before taking her back as his wife in Chapter 32?
5. Who dies at the beginning of Chapter 7 after being shipwrecked while sailing from Gascony back to England?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)