|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gruffydd find exciting about his first few months as King John's captive in Chapter 29?
(a) The company.
(b) The freedom.
(c) The food.
(d) The travel.
2. What territories in Normandy does Louis control as described in Chapter 1?
(a) Ninety percent of John's realm.
(b) Windsor and thirty percent of John's realm.
(c) London and half of John's realm.
(d) Wales and five percent of John's realm.
3. Who dies at the beginning of Chapter 7 after being shipwrecked while sailing from Gascony back to England?
(a) Richard, brother of Joanna.
(b) King Henry.
(c) Will, brother of John.
4. What does Llewelyn capture in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) The lands of Baldwin de Hodnet.
(b) Castles in Shropshire.
(c) The lands of Earl of Chester.
(d) Castles in London.
5. What is the name of the castle to which Llewelyn exiles Joanna in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
6. What, in Chapter 8, does Gruffydd challenge Llewelyn to do that makes Joanna fear that Gruffydd had intended to kill Llewelyn?
(a) Eat raw oysters.
(b) Fight a champion swordsman.
(c) Ride a wild horse.
(d) Swim in a frozen sea.
7. Why does Llewelyn go to see Joanna during their separation in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
(a) To finalize plans for her hanging.
(b) To see her one last time before she is exiled to England.
(c) To learn the truth.
(d) To ask for a divorce.
8. What causes a falling out between Joanna and Llewelyn in Chapter 8?
(a) Llewelyn's knowledge that Joanna set Gruffydd up.
(b) Llewelyn's affair with Cristyn.
(c) Joanna's glee at Gruffydd's punishment.
(d) Joanna's affair with Will de Braose.
9. Who is the first to recant his loyalty to Llewelyn after the ceremony naming Llewelyn the Prince of Wales?
10. How old was Prince Maelgwn's younger son when King John had him hanged in Shrewsbury?
(b) Not yet seven.
(d) Just turned twelve.
11. What does the Pope do that increases King John's unhappiness with Wales and with Llewelyn personally?
(a) Promises paradise to all Welshmen who take up arms against King John.
(b) Allows Llewelyn the right to appoint the Archbishop of Cantebury.
(c) Excommunicates King John, but not Llewelyn.
(d) Lifts the Interdict from Wales and frees the Princes of Wales from the oath to King John.
12. How does Llewelyn react in Chapter 8 when he walks in on an argument between Gruffydd and Joanna that has resulted in Gruffydd disrespecting his stepmother in public?
(a) Orders his death.
(b) Disowns him and sends him away.
(c) Exhiles him to Normandy.
(d) Imprisons him in a deserted castle.
13. Where is King John's body interred after his death?
(b) Fontevrault Abbey.
14. Who, in Chapter 8, collapses at Easter and dies, shocking everyone present?
15. Why does King John turn to the Pope as an ally in Chapter 33?
(a) To enforce Interdict over his enemies.
(b) To take away King Philip's legitimate cause for war.
(c) To cause the excommunication of John's enemies.
(d) To take away the Welsh Princes' legitimate cause for war.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does King John agree to accept Llewelyn's surrender in Chapter 28?
2. Who escorts Isabella de Braose to Cricieth in Chapter 15 of Book 2?
3. What causes the uproar in Joanna's chamber at the beginning of Chapter 27, an ordeal that Llewelyn swears to never undertake again?
4. Where has Gruffydd spent the months since the hangings at Nottingham?
5. What gift did Llewelyn make to Joanna on their fifth wedding anniversary?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)