|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Gruffydd spent the months since the hangings at Nottingham?
(a) A locked bed chamber.
(b) A seaside castle.
(c) A cell.
(d) A dark cellar.
2. What illness is King John suffering when Llewelyn visits him in Chapter 38?
(c) A common cold.
3. Why does Richard say he did not tell Joanna about their father's cruel side in Chapter 32?
(a) To protect Davydd.
(b) To protect John.
(c) To protect her.
(d) To protect Llewelyn.
4. What has Joanna's affair caused Llewelyn and the people of Wales to question in Chapter 12 of Book 2?
(a) Joanna's loyalty.
(b) Davydd's paternity.
(c) Elen's paternity.
(d) Joanna's honesty.
5. What reason does Elen give for not wanting to marry the man her father has chosen for her in Chapter 5?
(a) She would prefer to be a nun.
(b) She loves someone else.
(c) She does not like him.
(d) She wants to choose her own husband.
6. Who does Joanna learn in Chapter 9 is to become Davydd's wife when she is old enough?
(a) Catryn, Ednevyd's daughter.
(b) Taegwystl, Catherine's daughter.
(c) Maude, Will de Braose' niece.
(d) Isabella, Will de Braose's daughter.
7. What does Joanna think will save Elen's marriage and make her happy in Chapter 7?
(a) A vacation.
(b) An affair.
(c) Blessings from the Pope.
(d) A child.
8. What does the Pope do that increases King John's unhappiness with Wales and with Llewelyn personally?
(a) Lifts the Interdict from Wales and frees the Princes of Wales from the oath to King John.
(b) Allows Llewelyn the right to appoint the Archbishop of Cantebury.
(c) Promises paradise to all Welshmen who take up arms against King John.
(d) Excommunicates King John, but not Llewelyn.
9. What causes a falling out between Joanna and Llewelyn in Chapter 8?
(a) Llewelyn's affair with Cristyn.
(b) Joanna's glee at Gruffydd's punishment.
(c) Llewelyn's knowledge that Joanna set Gruffydd up.
(d) Joanna's affair with Will de Braose.
10. What hostage from his battles does Llewleyn send to stay at Rhosyr in Chapter 9?
(a) Richard, Joanna's brother.
(b) Will de Braose.
(c) Eleanor, Joanna's cousin.
(d) Stephen de Hodnet.
11. How do the people of Bangor react when Llewelyn rides into town with Joanna at his side in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
(a) With silence.
(b) With curses.
(c) With cheering.
(d) With boos.
12. What does Llewelyn capture in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) Castles in Shropshire.
(b) The lands of Baldwin de Hodnet.
(c) The lands of Earl of Chester.
(d) Castles in London.
13. What promise does Llewelyn force Joanna to make before taking her back as his wife in Chapter 32?
(a) That she will disown her own father.
(b) That she will never leave him again.
(c) She will use her influence to force King John to release the surviving hostages.
(d) That she will no longer divide her loyalties between Llewelyn and John.
14. Who dies at the beginning of Chapter 7 after being shipwrecked while sailing from Gascony back to England?
(a) King Henry.
(b) Will, brother of John.
(c) Richard, brother of Joanna.
15. How long was Joanna imprisoned on the Irish Sea?
(a) Twelve months, five days.
(b) Nine months, thirteen days.
(c) Twenty months, thirty days.
(d) Six months, twenty days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Llewelyn meet on the battlefield in Chapter 6?
2. What, in Chapter 8, does Gruffydd challenge Llewelyn to do that makes Joanna fear that Gruffydd had intended to kill Llewelyn?
3. What is the first symptom of the illness that will plague King John in the final days of his life?
4. Why does Llewelyn go to see Joanna during their separation in Chapter 16 of Book 2?
5. How is Gruffydd's release finally secured?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)