|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of the day does Joanna arrive back in Wales?
(a) Late evening.
(c) Early morning.
2. Who advises Joanna that she should seduce her husband and encourage him to consummate the marriage?
3. What promise does Eleanor of Aquitaine ask John to make when she visits him after King Henry's death?
(a) He will not have any more illegitimate children.
(b) He will not scheme against Richard.
(c) He will not marry for love.
(d) He will not scheme against the French.
4. Who comes to Joanna's defense when Gruffydd disrespects her in Chapter 26?
(b) William de Braose.
(c) Will de Braose, grandson of William and Maude.
5. What is Aber?
(a) Llewelyn's horse.
(b) Llewleyn's oldest child.
(c) Llewelyn's trusted dog.
(d) Llewelyn's home in Wales.
6. What is in the message that Aubrey de Mara carries in Wales in Chapter 9?
(a) The news of the birth of Llewelyn's son.
(b) The news of William de Braose's death.
(c) The news of Richard's death.
(d) The news of Llewelyn's defeat at Mold.
7. Who pays rent on the cottage where Joanna lives with her mother?
(a) Joanna's uncle.
(b) Joanna's father.
(c) Joanna's cousin.
(d) Joanna's grandfather.
8. From whom do the people of Wales believe they are descended?
(a) Caesar and the citizens of Rome.
(b) Hercules and the demigods of Greece.
(c) Persephone and Hades.
(d) Brutus and the citizens of ancient Troy.
9. Who is visiting Joanna in Wales when she goes into labor with her second child?
(a) Will, her uncle.
(b) Isabelle, her stepmother.
(c) Richard, her brother.
(d) King John, her father.
10. Who is Marared?
(a) Llewelyn's brother.
(b) Llewelyn's mother.
(c) Llewelyn's father.
(d) Llewelyn's maid.
11. Where does Joanna go to visit with her grandmother, Eleanor of Aquitaine?
(b) Fontevrault Abbey.
(c) Westminster Abbey.
12. Why did Richard hang a group of John's men in Chapter 6?
13. What does Joanna remember the most about her trip to find her father?
(a) It was exciting.
(b) It was full of uncertainty.
(c) It was a great deal of fun.
(d) It was dirty and uncomfortable.
14. Why do Llewelyn and his family return to Wales when Llewelyn is fourteen?
(a) The divorce of his mother and stepmother.
(b) To allow Llewelyn to take control of his father's lands.
(c) The wedding of Llewelyn's cousin, Mathraval.
(d) The funeral of Llewelyn's uncle, Owain.
15. Who is Stephen Langton?
(a) King John's choice for Archbishop of Canterbury.
(b) The Pope's choice for Archbishop of Canterbury.
(c) The new Bishop of Norwich.
(d) The new Pope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What outside force begins to invade Wales during the reigns of the Norman Conqueror, William the Bastard, and his sons?
2. Where do Eleanor and John meet in the moments before John's coronation?
3. Who is with Eleanor as she attempts to flee ahead of an enemy army of King John?
4. Why did Eleanor leave King Henry and return to her own lands in Aquitaine?
5. To whom does King John arrange for his daughter, Joanna, to marry?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)