|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened in the relationship between King John and William de Braose, his old friend?
(a) William de Braose.
(b) King Philip of France.
(c) Llewelyn of Wales.
(d) The Pope.
2. Where does Joanna go to visit with her grandmother, Eleanor of Aquitaine?
(a) Westminster Abbey.
(b) Fontevrault Abbey.
3. Who is Alison?
(a) Joanna's cousin.
(b) Joanna's daughter.
(c) Joanna's new French speaking maid.
(d) Joanna's childhood friend.
4. Who accuses John of killing King Henry by choosing to join Richard's battle against Henry?
(a) His brother, Young Henry.
(b) His illegitimate brother, Geoffrey.
(c) His brother, Richard.
(d) His illegitimate brother, Will.
5. What notable person does not attend Joanna's marriage ceremony?
(a) Her uncle, Will.
(b) Her father, King John.
(c) Her stepmother, Isabelle.
(d) Her brother, Richard.
6. What is Mold as described in Chapter 9?
(a) A castle in Gwynedd.
(b) A castle in Powys.
(c) A castle in Normandy.
(d) A castle in Shropshire.
7. Who is Thomas Corbet?
(a) Llewelyn's uncle by marriage.
(b) Llewelyn's stepfather.
(c) Llewelyn's childhood friend.
(d) Llewelyn's cousin by marriage.
8. Who was supposed to be Henry's heir, to take the crown upon Henry Pantagenet's death?
(a) Young Henry.
9. What is the name of Joanna and her husband's first child?
10. Why did Eleanor leave King Henry and return to her own lands in Aquitaine?
(a) King Henry wanted a divorce.
(b) King Henry wanted more children.
(c) King Henry was flaunting his mistress.
(d) King Henry was abusive.
11. What language is spoken in Normandy in 1183?
12. What reason does Joanna believe binds her husband to her no matter her behavior toward him?
(a) His need of a mother for his children.
(b) His need for an alliance with King John.
(c) His promise to Eleanor of Aquitaine of fidelity.
(d) His promise to her in church.
13. Why does Eleanor of Aquitaine prefer that John be king over Arthur, as she states in Chapter 8?
(a) John has more experience at ruling a country.
(b) John is her son, therefore more deserving.
(c) Arthur would be King Philip of France's puppet.
(d) Eleanor believes she can influence John's decisions.
14. Who is openly hostile to Joanna upon her arrival in Wales?
(a) Cristyn, Llewelyn's mistress.
(b) Rhys, Llewelyn's childhood friend.
(c) Catherine, Llewelyn's friend.
(d) Gruffydd, Llewelyn's eldest son.
15. What outside force begins to invade Wales during the reigns of the Norman Conqueror, William the Bastard, and his sons?
(a) The Normans.
(b) The French.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eleanor of Aquitaine take one hundred thousand silver marks to Germany in January of 1194?
2. How many legitimate sons did Henry Plantagenet, King of England, Lord of Ireland and Wales, Duke of Normandy, and Count of Anjou, have?
3. What is unusual about Joanna's labor that causes those caring for her to fear for her life in Chapter 24?
4. Where does Joanna's husband send her in order to improve her level of happiness in their new marriage?
5. What is the popular opinion of Arthur's fate after he was taken by John's army at Mirebeau?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)