|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King Henry tell Exeter to do with the drunken man who had railed against him the day before?
2. Canterbury urges King Henry to divide England into __________ and have __________ go to fight France while the rest stays home to defend against invaders.
3. What color does Hostess Quickly say Falstaff did not like?
4. Based on the chorus' description, which best describes Harfleur's location?
5. Which part of the body does the chorus mention when he says, "We'll not offend one __________ with our play"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Salic Law and what is its significance in the play?
2. How do Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey respond when they are charged with treason?
3. Why does the chorus have an apologetic tone concerning the play?
4. The chorus cites one of England's weaknesses that the French are using to their advantage. What is the weakness and how does France plan to use it in its favor?
5. Explain why Hostess Quickly blames King Henry for Sir John's illness and the justification that Nym and Pistol offer for what the king had done.
6. Explain why it is important to Katherine that Alice teaches her English.
7. Describe and discuss the offer the French make to Henry at Harfleur. What is Henry's opinion of the offer and what is his response to it?
8. Why is the constable confounded that the English are better warriors than the French?
9. What does Henry tell the governor of Harfleur will happen to the people of his city if they do not surrender immediately?
10. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the tactics Henry employs in his campaign would not be acceptable under modern day standards of warfare and some would even be considered war crimes. Discuss whether in your opinion a character like Henry should be considered an honorable and heroic character by today's standards.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the attitude toward monarchy in the world of Henry the Fifth. Are there major differences between the monarchy of England and of France? How do people regard their country's monarchies? How do monarchs view themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the chorus. What is the chorus' purpose? Be sure to provide some examples of how the chorus is used in the play.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)