|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ely say regarding the transformation in King Henry?
2. According to the chorus, what is the French response to the impending war?
3. What justification does Henry give for his soldiers to wreak havoc if Harfleur does not surrender?
4. What does Katherine think after she has learned two words in English?
5. How are Exeter and Westmoreland related to King Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. King Henry tells his uncle, Exeter, to free a man who had railed against him while intoxicated. What is Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey's response to this pardon and what is the significance of their response?
2. How do Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey respond when they are charged with treason?
3. Describe the chorus' attitude toward King Henry.
4. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
5. Why is the constable confounded that the English are better warriors than the French?
6. In the Prologue, what mythical creature does the chorus invoke and what does he hope doing so will accomplish?
7. Explain why Hostess Quickly blames King Henry for Sir John's illness and the justification that Nym and Pistol offer for what the king had done.
8. Why does the boy want to quit working for Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol? Be sure to provide examples.
9. Describe the kind of rhetorical appeals Henry uses to persuade his army to be persistent in their attack on Harfleur.
10. Describe the meaning of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry and Henry's response to the gift.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss agricultural metaphors in the play, especially as they pertain to Henry's transformation from wild prince to respected king.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of friendship in the play. Which characters seem to have genuine friendships, which do not, and why? Does class seem to affect friendships?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters in the play are sentenced to die for committing various crimes, yet there is no mention of any criminal trials. So, how are matters of criminal justice handled in the world of Henry the Fifth?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)