|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ely think King Henry will prevent a certain bill from being passed that would take away half the church's land and money?
(a) Peasants would riot in the streets.
(b) The Queen Mother would be unhappy if the bill passed.
(c) King Henry is a good friend of Canterbury and will do what he requests.
(d) The king is a true lover of the holy church.
2. What does Henry tell the governor will happen if Harfleur does not surrender?
(a) They will blockade the town until they surrender or starve.
(b) Henry will send a message to the king of France saying the governor put innocent citizens in harm's way to protect his political position.
(c) Women and children will be allowed to leave, but all men will be executed.
(d) The attack will continue and innocent civilians will be raped, tortured, and killed.
3. What does Katherine think after she has learned two words in English?
(a) That she will never be able to learn such a difficult language.
(b) That Alice is intentionally teaching her incorrect pronunciation.
(c) That English is a barbaric language.
(d) That she is a good scholar.
4. What does Alice tell Katherine when she pronounces "neck" as "nick" and "chin" as "sin"?
(a) Not to worry, because she can always hire interpreters.
(b) To stop wasting her time and stick with French.
(c) That she needs to pay closer attention to how the words are pronounced.
(d) That she pronounces the words as well as English natives.
5. Dauphin tells the French king that they should show no more fear of England than if that country were busy with __________.
(a) Bear baiting.
(b) A Whitsun morris-dance.
(c) Attending a play.
(d) Women in a bawdy house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of muse does the chorus invoke?
2. Sir Thomas Grey tells King Henry that those who were his father's enemies now do what?
3. What is the battle cry Henry gives his men?
4. Henry tells his army that "when the blast of war blows in our ears," to imitate the action of which animal?
5. The chorus asks the audience "kindly to judge" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Hostess Quickly blames King Henry for Sir John's illness and the justification that Nym and Pistol offer for what the king had done.
2. What does Fluellen mean when he talks about the "disciplines of war" and what is his attitude toward these disciplines?
3. How do Falstaff's friends mourn his passing?
4. What does Henry tell the governor of Harfleur will happen to the people of his city if they do not surrender immediately?
5. What is Henry wanting his troops to do as they begin their attack on Harfleur and what does he suggest they do if they do not want to comply?
6. Why is the constable confounded that the English are better warriors than the French?
7. Why is the Archbishop of Canterbury worried that a certain bill will be passed?
8. In the Prologue, what mythical creature does the chorus invoke and what does he hope doing so will accomplish?
9. Discuss how the chorus helps the audience use their imagination as the English army begins the invasion.
10. Compare the response of the English and French to the impending war based on the chorus's observations.
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)