|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king of France instruct the Dauphin to do?
(a) Send courageous men to certain towns to ready them for war.
(b) Try to flee the country before the English arrive.
(c) Practice his sword fighting.
(d) Continue in his daily affairs as usual.
2. What is Montjoy's job?
(a) Court jester.
(b) The Dauphin's personal assistant.
(d) Army captain.
3. When referring to King Henry's confrontation with Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey, Bedford states, "his grace is __________ to trust these traitors."
4. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
(a) Privèd maidens.
(c) Old women.
5. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
(a) English dead.
(b) French dead.
(d) Wood from their own ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hostess Quickly believes that Sir John Falstaff is not in hell, but in the bosom of __________.
2. To whom is Hostess Nell Quickly married?
3. What is Fluellen's opinion of Captain Macmorris and Captain Jamy concerning military matters?
4. What does King Henry tell Exeter to do with the drunken man who had railed against him the day before?
5. Canterbury urges King Henry to look to his great uncle, who had once defeated the French, for strength. What is the name of Henry's great uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. The chorus cites one of England's weaknesses that the French are using to their advantage. What is the weakness and how does France plan to use it in its favor?
2. Describe the conditions under which the chorus says the play had been authored.
3. Summarize the comments the boy makes after Pistol leaves with the French soldier to collect the ransom.
4. Why does the boy want to quit working for Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol? Be sure to provide examples.
5. Describe the relationship between Hostess Quickly and Pistol and give examples.
6. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
7. Explain why Henry's post-war stay in England is cut short.
8. What does Fluellen mean when he talks about the "disciplines of war" and what is his attitude toward these disciplines?
9. Describe the kind of rhetorical appeals Henry uses to persuade his army to be persistent in their attack on Harfleur.
10. Describe the chorus' attitude toward King Henry.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)