|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift of athletic equipment, intended to be taken as an insult, does the Dauphin send King Henry?
(a) Lacrosse sticks from the New World.
(b) A canoe with a hole in the bottom.
(c) Left-handed golf clubs.
(d) Tennis balls.
2. How did Hostess Quickly determine that Falstaff was near death?
(a) He turned blue.
(b) His body felt cold.
(c) He was unresponsive.
(d) His breathing stopped.
3. In what city does Act 1, Scene 1 take place?
4. What is the boy's urgent message that diverts Nym and Pistol from their duel?
(a) He has heard of an assassination plot against the king.
(b) His master is ill and he wants Pistol and Hostess to come immediately.
(c) King Henry needs to see them right away.
(d) French troops have launched a counter invasion and will be in London in a few hours.
5. Henry states that during peacetime, nothing is more becoming to a man than __________.
(a) Modest stillness and humility.
(b) Fair nature.
(c) Hard-favored rage.
(d) Humble patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
2. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
3. The king of France tells the Dauphin to stay with them in __________.
4. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
5. The Dauphin claims that "__________ is not so vile a sin / As __________."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the constable confounded that the English are better warriors than the French?
2. How do Falstaff's friends mourn his passing?
3. Compare the response of the English and French to the impending war based on the chorus's observations.
4. In the Prologue, what mythical creature does the chorus invoke and what does he hope doing so will accomplish?
5. Explain why Hostess Quickly blames King Henry for Sir John's illness and the justification that Nym and Pistol offer for what the king had done.
6. What is the Salic Law and what is its significance in the play?
7. What does Fluellen mean when he talks about the "disciplines of war" and what is his attitude toward these disciplines?
8. Describe the meaning of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry and Henry's response to the gift.
9. Based solely on the chorus' statement in the Prologue, what is the play about and what can the audience expect to experience?
10. Describe the chorus' attitude toward King Henry.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)