|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The constable states that if Henry cannot be fought off, then they should leave France and leave their "__________ to a barbarous people."
(c) Art museum.
2. What justification does Henry give for his soldiers to wreak havoc if Harfleur does not surrender?
(a) The soldiers will be so enraged that he will not be able to control them.
(b) To make an example of them for other French cities.
(c) This is what French soldiers would do if the situation were reversed.
(d) To prove to the Dauphin that war is his favorite sport, not tennis.
3. At the conclusion of the lesson, what does Katherine suggest they do next?
(a) Get ready for bed.
(b) Go to dinner.
(c) Find a professional English teacher.
(d) Practice their English on their visitors.
4. For what does the boy say he would give all his fame?
(a) Victory for the king.
(b) To have Falstaff alive again.
(c) A fair wench.
(d) A pot of ale and safety.
5. King Henry states that he will be "No king of England" if he is not also what else?
(a) A merciful king.
(b) A lover of God and of his holy church.
(c) A victorious warrior.
(d) King of France.
Short Answer Questions
1. Canterbury tells King Henry that Salic is not part of France, but of _________.
2. How are Exeter and Westmoreland related to King Henry?
3. Which part of the body does the chorus mention when he says, "We'll not offend one __________ with our play"?
4. What term does the chorus NOT use to describe the stage?
5. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the chorus' attitude toward King Henry.
2. Describe the relationship between Hostess Quickly and Pistol and give examples.
3. Describe and discuss the offer the French make to Henry at Harfleur. What is Henry's opinion of the offer and what is his response to it?
4. Ely compares King Henry's development as a leader to the way certain types of fruit grow. Discuss this metaphor and how it applies to the king.
5. How do Falstaff's friends mourn his passing?
6. King Henry tells his uncle, Exeter, to free a man who had railed against him while intoxicated. What is Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey's response to this pardon and what is the significance of their response?
7. Describe the meaning of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry and Henry's response to the gift.
8. What is the cause of the conflict between Nym and Pistol and how is this conflict resolved?
9. Why is the constable confounded that the English are better warriors than the French?
10. What is the Salic Law and what is its significance in the play?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)