|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ely say regarding the transformation in King Henry?
(a) He now has a holier-than-thou attitude.
(b) It was a long time coming.
(c) We are blessed.
(d) He used to be more fun.
2. How did Hostess Quickly determine that Falstaff was near death?
(a) He turned blue.
(b) His breathing stopped.
(c) He was unresponsive.
(d) His body felt cold.
3. Ely compares King Henry's development to the growth of what type of fruit?
4. What gift of athletic equipment, intended to be taken as an insult, does the Dauphin send King Henry?
(a) Tennis balls.
(b) Left-handed golf clubs.
(c) A canoe with a hole in the bottom.
(d) Lacrosse sticks from the New World.
5. Which character from classical mythology does the chorus say fans the streamers of the brave fleet?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Hostess Nell Quickly married?
2. What are "lavoltas" and "corantos"?
3. What does Katherine think after she has learned two words in English?
4. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
5. Henry states that during peacetime, nothing is more becoming to a man than __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Hostess Quickly and Pistol and give examples.
2. Describe the English lesson that Alice gives Katherine. What is the subject of the lesson and how successful is it?
3. What message does Exeter deliver to the French court, especially concerning the king of France and the Dauphin?
4. Based solely on the chorus' statement in the Prologue, what is the play about and what can the audience expect to experience?
5. Describe the kind of rhetorical appeals Henry uses to persuade his army to be persistent in their attack on Harfleur.
6. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
7. What is Henry wanting his troops to do as they begin their attack on Harfleur and what does he suggest they do if they do not want to comply?
8. Describe and discuss the offer the French make to Henry at Harfleur. What is Henry's opinion of the offer and what is his response to it?
9. Why does the boy want to quit working for Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol? Be sure to provide examples.
10. What is the French king's response to the negative tone of his court's conversation about England's invasion and what does he decide to do about the situation?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)