|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The chorus asks the audience "kindly to judge" what?
(a) The play.
(b) Each other.
(d) People of the past and their actions.
2. What is Alice's response to Katherine's assertion that she (Alice) speaks English well?
(a) Alice confirms that she is fluent in English.
(b) Alice laughs and asks Katherine why she would think such a thing.
(c) Alice corrects Katherine and tells her it is German she speaks fluently, not English.
(d) Alice says she knows a little.
3. What does Alice tell Katherine when she pronounces "neck" as "nick" and "chin" as "sin"?
(a) To stop wasting her time and stick with French.
(b) Not to worry, because she can always hire interpreters.
(c) That she needs to pay closer attention to how the words are pronounced.
(d) That she pronounces the words as well as English natives.
4. What is Fluellen's opinion of Captain Macmorris and Captain Jamy concerning military matters?
(a) Jamy is incompetent, but Macmorris is very knowledgeable.
(b) Both men are ignorant and incompetent.
(c) Both men are knowledgeable and competent.
(d) Macmorris is incompetent, but Jamy is very knowledgeable.
5. What term does the chorus NOT use to describe the stage?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Pistol bids his wife farewell, he tells her to let what appear?
2. To what does Henry compare his men as they are eagerly awaiting battle?
3. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
4. The chorus says the play will turn the "accomplishment of many years" into what?
5. Henry tells Cambridge, Grey, and Scroop that mercy has been suppressed and killed for them. What caused this to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. The chorus cites one of England's weaknesses that the French are using to their advantage. What is the weakness and how does France plan to use it in its favor?
2. In the Prologue, what mythical creature does the chorus invoke and what does he hope doing so will accomplish?
3. Why does the chorus have an apologetic tone concerning the play?
4. What does Henry tell the governor of Harfleur will happen to the people of his city if they do not surrender immediately?
5. Why does the boy want to quit working for Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol? Be sure to provide examples.
6. What is Henry wanting his troops to do as they begin their attack on Harfleur and what does he suggest they do if they do not want to comply?
7. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
8. How do Falstaff's friends mourn his passing?
9. What is the cause of the conflict between Nym and Pistol and how is this conflict resolved?
10. Why is the Archbishop of Canterbury worried that a certain bill will be passed?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)