|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ely think King Henry will prevent a certain bill from being passed that would take away half the church's land and money?
(a) King Henry is a good friend of Canterbury and will do what he requests.
(b) The Queen Mother would be unhappy if the bill passed.
(c) The king is a true lover of the holy church.
(d) Peasants would riot in the streets.
2. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
(b) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
(c) The battle of Armageddon.
(d) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
3. To what ethnic heritage does Britaine refer to when he suggests the English are of illegitimate birth?
4. Referring to Henry, the constable tells the Dauphin that he will find these "forespent."
5. According to the chorus, what is the French response to the impending war?
(a) They are confident that their diplomats will bring about a peaceful resolution.
(b) They are as eager to go to war as the English.
(c) They are shaking in their fear.
(d) They are not worried because they know the Spanish will come to their aid.
Short Answer Questions
1. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
2. How did Hostess Quickly determine that Falstaff was near death?
3. As Pistol bids his wife farewell, he tells her to let what appear?
4. Who is NOT one of the "three corrupted men" the chorus says has conspired with France?
5. What does Ely say regarding the transformation in King Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the governor of Harfleur's response to Henry's demands and what is his explanation for his decision?
2. Why does the boy want to quit working for Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol? Be sure to provide examples.
3. Ely compares King Henry's development as a leader to the way certain types of fruit grow. Discuss this metaphor and how it applies to the king.
4. Explain why it is important to Katherine that Alice teaches her English.
5. What is the French king's response to the negative tone of his court's conversation about England's invasion and what does he decide to do about the situation?
6. Describe and discuss the offer the French make to Henry at Harfleur. What is Henry's opinion of the offer and what is his response to it?
7. What is Henry wanting his troops to do as they begin their attack on Harfleur and what does he suggest they do if they do not want to comply?
8. Explain why Hostess Quickly blames King Henry for Sir John's illness and the justification that Nym and Pistol offer for what the king had done.
9. What does Henry tell the governor of Harfleur will happen to the people of his city if they do not surrender immediately?
10. Why does the chorus have an apologetic tone concerning the play?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)