|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry tells Cambridge, Grey, and Scroop that mercy has been suppressed and killed for them. What caused this to happen?
(a) Exeter's testimony.
(b) A letter from the Dauphin stating that it took very little to bribe them.
(c) An edict from the church.
(d) Their own counsel.
2. To what ethnic heritage does Britaine refer to when he suggests the English are of illegitimate birth?
3. The chorus states, "Think, when we talk of _________, that you see them."
4. What does the chorus say must "deck our kings"?
(a) The audience's thoughts.
(b) Stage hands.
(c) Royal servants.
5. In what city does Act 1, Scene 1 take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. To which ancient notable military leader does Henry compare the fathers of his men?
2. What does the chorus says separates the "two mighty monarchies"?
3. When referring to King Henry's confrontation with Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey, Bedford states, "his grace is __________ to trust these traitors."
4. What does King Henry tell Exeter to do with the drunken man who had railed against him the day before?
5. What is the boy's urgent message that diverts Nym and Pistol from their duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Exeter deliver to the French court, especially concerning the king of France and the Dauphin?
2. Why does the chorus have an apologetic tone concerning the play?
3. What does Fluellen mean when he talks about the "disciplines of war" and what is his attitude toward these disciplines?
4. The chorus cites one of England's weaknesses that the French are using to their advantage. What is the weakness and how does France plan to use it in its favor?
5. Explain what the constable means when he tells the Dauphin that Henry was "covering discretion with a coat of folly" and the significance of this statement.
6. Describe the kind of rhetorical appeals Henry uses to persuade his army to be persistent in their attack on Harfleur.
7. King Henry tells his uncle, Exeter, to free a man who had railed against him while intoxicated. What is Scroop, Cambridge, and Grey's response to this pardon and what is the significance of their response?
8. Explain why it is important to Katherine that Alice teaches her English.
9. Compare the response of the English and French to the impending war based on the chorus's observations.
10. What is the French king's response to the negative tone of his court's conversation about England's invasion and what does he decide to do about the situation?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)