|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
(a) Wood from their own ships.
(b) English dead.
(d) French dead.
2. From where does the chorus ask the audience to imagine that the "well-appointed king" and his fleet embark?
(c) Hampton pier.
(d) The Straits of Dover.
3. Hostess Quickly states that she "cannot lodge and board a dozen or fourteen gentlewomen" without it being thought she is running ___________.
(a) A sweatshop.
(b) A convent.
(c) A home for unwed mothers.
(d) A bawdy house.
4. At the conclusion of the lesson, what does Katherine suggest they do next?
(a) Find a professional English teacher.
(b) Get ready for bed.
(c) Go to dinner.
(d) Practice their English on their visitors.
5. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
(a) The game's afoot.
(b) Dishonor not your mother.
(c) Teach them how to war.
(d) On, to the breach.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, the chorus refers to King Henry by what nickname?
2. Dauphin tells the French king that they should show no more fear of England than if that country were busy with __________.
3. What does Canterbury say Henry had once been addicted to?
4. What does Alice tell Katherine when she pronounces "neck" as "nick" and "chin" as "sin"?
5. What does the chorus say must "deck our kings"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What message does Exeter deliver to the French court, especially concerning the king of France and the Dauphin?
2. Describe the chorus' attitude toward King Henry.
3. Describe the meaning of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry and Henry's response to the gift.
4. Describe and discuss the offer the French make to Henry at Harfleur. What is Henry's opinion of the offer and what is his response to it?
5. How do Falstaff's friends mourn his passing?
6. What does Henry tell the governor of Harfleur will happen to the people of his city if they do not surrender immediately?
7. Explain why it is important to Katherine that Alice teaches her English.
8. Ely compares King Henry's development as a leader to the way certain types of fruit grow. Discuss this metaphor and how it applies to the king.
9. What is the French king's response to the negative tone of his court's conversation about England's invasion and what does he decide to do about the situation?
10. Describe the kind of rhetorical appeals Henry uses to persuade his army to be persistent in their attack on Harfleur.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)