|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What order does Henry give Exeter after the alarm sounds?
(a) Tell every soldier to kill his prisoners.
(b) Try to trick the French into thinking they are going to surrender.
(c) Regroup and charge once more.
2. What is Williams' response to Henry (who is in disguise) when Henry says that the king would not be ransomed?
(a) He agrees that Henry would not permit such a thing to happen.
(b) The English would never be willing to pay a ransom, even for Henry.
(c) Only because it is not the way of the French to hold men for ransom.
(d) That he may indeed be ransomed but they would not know the difference once their throats had been cut.
3. What does Orleans say has been lost?
(a) His horse (mon cheval).
(b) The day (le jour) and all (tout).
(c) The war (la guerre).
(d) His son (mon fils) and his brother (mon frère).
4. What absurd suggestion does the Dauphin make regarding the horses?
(a) Cut the horses' flesh and squirt the blood in the eyes of the English.
(b) The horses are so well trained, that they can fight the battle without their riders.
(c) Slaughter one of the horses and eat its flesh in order to gain its strength and courage.
(d) Use horse manure in place of cannon balls.
5. What additional information does the boy give the French soldier regarding Pistol's acceptance of the bribe?
(a) That Pistol does not understand French currency and would have let him go for much less.
(b) That if he surrenders himself to the king, the king will be merciful and he will not need to pay the bribe.
(c) It is against his oath to pardon any prisoner.
(d) That the boy has told Pistol that the amount is less than what the soldier has offered so he can get his cut.
6. What does Gower say motivates men like Pistol to go to war?
(a) Combat pay and spoils of war.
(b) Duty to king and country.
(c) A chance to travel and see the world.
(d) So they can brag to others about their brave exploits once they return home.
7. Henry states that if it is a sin to __________, then he is the most offending soul alive.
(a) Kill one's enemies.
(b) Covet honor.
(c) Betray a friend.
(d) Covet gold.
8. When Henry comes upon the scene of the murdered boys guarding the luggage, he says he has not been angry since . . .
(a) The Dauphin sent him tennis balls.
(b) Montjoy came to propose that he ransom himself.
(c) He has come to France.
(d) The battle of Harfleur.
9. To whom or what does Henry credit with winning the battle while losing relatively few men?
(b) French arrogance.
(c) Superior strategy.
(d) The loyalty of his men.
10. What does Henry say is the meaning of the alarm that sounds as he and Exeter are speaking?
(a) The French have surrendered.
(b) All the English soldiers have died, been captured, or have run away.
(c) The French have reinforced their scattered men.
(d) Reinforcements from England have finally arrived.
11. According to the chorus, what is the name of the area Henry passes through on his way back to London?
(a) South Hampton.
12. What time does the chorus say it is based upon the sounds coming from the crowing country cocks and the clocks?
(a) The third hour of the morning.
(c) Sometime between breakfast and lunch.
13. What does Pistol plan to do for a living now that he no longer has Nell to support him?
(a) Go work on a farm.
(b) Become a thief.
(c) Find another woman to support him.
(d) Return to the army and help defend the border with Scotland.
14. What is the constable's chief lament as the French nobles prepare for battle?
(a) His favorite horse is injured and he will have to ride a different one.
(b) The battle is too early and he has not yet had breakfast.
(c) The English will not present much of a challenge and they will not have enough blood to stain all their weapons.
(d) The English have proven they fight noblemen and commoners the same unmerciful way.
15. What strategic structure does Fluellen say is being protected by the Duke of Exeter and Pistol?
(a) A fort.
(b) A pier.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A city wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the characters in the French camp looking forward to in the pre-dawn hours before the battle of Agincourt?
2. Fluellen states that the Duke of Exeter is as magnanimous as which famous ancient monarch?
3. Who does Williams strike when he sees him wearing his glove in his cap?
4. After witnessing a poignant scene involving the deaths of two soldiers, what is Exeter's emotional response?
5. What is the amount that the French soldier offers Pistol to spare his life?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)