|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Katherine think Alice speaks English well?
(a) Alice's previous job had been working for an English family.
(b) Alice had once been married to an English man.
(c) Alice's mother is English.
(d) Alice has been to England.
2. Sir Thomas Grey tells King Henry that those who were his father's enemies now do what?
(a) Serve the king.
(b) Hate the king even more than they hated his father.
(c) Rot in the prison graveyard.
(d) Fear the king.
3. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
(c) Privèd maidens.
(d) Old women.
4. The king of France tells the Dauphin to stay with them in __________.
5. What justification does Henry give for his soldiers to wreak havoc if Harfleur does not surrender?
(a) The soldiers will be so enraged that he will not be able to control them.
(b) This is what French soldiers would do if the situation were reversed.
(c) To make an example of them for other French cities.
(d) To prove to the Dauphin that war is his favorite sport, not tennis.
6. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
(a) The Irish.
(b) The Scots.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Spanish.
7. What color does Hostess Quickly say Falstaff did not like?
8. What is Alice's response to Katherine's assertion that she (Alice) speaks English well?
(a) Alice says she knows a little.
(b) Alice laughs and asks Katherine why she would think such a thing.
(c) Alice corrects Katherine and tells her it is German she speaks fluently, not English.
(d) Alice confirms that she is fluent in English.
9. Referring to Henry, the constable tells the Dauphin that he will find these "forespent."
10. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) The battle of Armageddon.
(b) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
(c) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
(d) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
11. What does the king of France instruct the Dauphin to do?
(a) Continue in his daily affairs as usual.
(b) Practice his sword fighting.
(c) Send courageous men to certain towns to ready them for war.
(d) Try to flee the country before the English arrive.
12. According to the chorus, what is the French response to the impending war?
(a) They are shaking in their fear.
(b) They are not worried because they know the Spanish will come to their aid.
(c) They are confident that their diplomats will bring about a peaceful resolution.
(d) They are as eager to go to war as the English.
13. For what does the boy say he would give all his fame?
(a) A fair wench.
(b) To have Falstaff alive again.
(c) Victory for the king.
(d) A pot of ale and safety.
14. Henry states that during peacetime, nothing is more becoming to a man than __________.
(a) Humble patience.
(b) Fair nature.
(c) Hard-favored rage.
(d) Modest stillness and humility.
15. After Henry responds to the Dauphin's insulting gesture by declaring war, the chorus states that "all the youth of England are" in what state of mind and doing what?
(a) On fire and preparing themselves for war.
(b) Angry that they will have to fight a war to satisfy the king's personal agenda and are protesting in the streets.
(c) Aware that the war will soon bring an end to the good times and are making merry while they can.
(d) Afraid of being drafted and are going into hiding or leaving the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Canterbury tells King Henry that Salic is not part of France, but of _________.
2. Who is NOT one of the "three corrupted men" the chorus says has conspired with France?
3. What words from Alice's lesson does Katherine consider too vulgar to speak before the gentlemen of France?
4. To what ethnic heritage does Britaine refer to when he suggests the English are of illegitimate birth?
5. Which character calls Bardolph, Nym, and Pistol "dogs" and tells them to go up to the breach.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)