|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ely think King Henry will prevent a certain bill from being passed that would take away half the church's land and money?
(a) The Queen Mother would be unhappy if the bill passed.
(b) Peasants would riot in the streets.
(c) The king is a true lover of the holy church.
(d) King Henry is a good friend of Canterbury and will do what he requests.
2. What gift of athletic equipment, intended to be taken as an insult, does the Dauphin send King Henry?
(a) Left-handed golf clubs.
(b) A canoe with a hole in the bottom.
(c) Lacrosse sticks from the New World.
(d) Tennis balls.
3. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
(a) Privèd maidens.
(b) Old women.
4. Henry tells his army that "when the blast of war blows in our ears," to imitate the action of which animal?
5. What does the chorus says separates the "two mighty monarchies"?
(a) The perilous narrow ocean.
(b) A fortnight's journey by horse.
(d) The will of God.
6. What does Canterbury say Henry had once been addicted to?
(b) Lusty wenches.
(c) Courses vain.
(d) Sot weed.
7. Dauphin tells the French king that they should show no more fear of England than if that country were busy with __________.
(a) Bear baiting.
(b) Women in a bawdy house.
(c) Attending a play.
(d) A Whitsun morris-dance.
8. What does the governor say was the Dauphin's response to his request for help in fighting the English?
(a) That Harfleur is not a strategic site and not worth defending.
(b) That the governor is lying because it would be impossible for the incompetent English to conquer a French town.
(c) To hold fast because reinforcements are on their way.
(d) That he is not yet ready to send adequate help.
9. What is Alice's response to Katherine's assertion that she (Alice) speaks English well?
(a) Alice says she knows a little.
(b) Alice confirms that she is fluent in English.
(c) Alice corrects Katherine and tells her it is German she speaks fluently, not English.
(d) Alice laughs and asks Katherine why she would think such a thing.
10. What is the name of the river the king of France believes Henry and his army have passed?
11. Canterbury urges King Henry to look to his great uncle, who had once defeated the French, for strength. What is the name of Henry's great uncle?
(a) William the Conqueror.
(b) Edward the Black Prince.
(c) King Arthur.
(d) Edward Longshanks.
12. Hostess Quickly offers to bring her husband to what location?
13. What is Fluellen's opinion of Captain Macmorris and Captain Jamy concerning military matters?
(a) Both men are ignorant and incompetent.
(b) Jamy is incompetent, but Macmorris is very knowledgeable.
(c) Both men are knowledgeable and competent.
(d) Macmorris is incompetent, but Jamy is very knowledgeable.
14. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
(a) A mighty heart.
(b) The temper of a woman.
(c) A strong stomach.
(d) An even smaller brain.
15. The chorus invites the audience to "piece out" what with their thoughts?
(a) The story.
(b) The actors.
(c) What will happen in the next scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Referring to Henry, the constable tells the Dauphin that he will find these "forespent."
2. Canterbury urges King Henry to divide England into __________ and have __________ go to fight France while the rest stays home to defend against invaders.
3. On what does Hostess Quickly blame Sir John's illness?
4. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
5. Canterbury tells King Henry that Salic is not part of France, but of _________.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)