|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Henry responds to the Dauphin's insulting gesture by declaring war, the chorus states that "all the youth of England are" in what state of mind and doing what?
(a) On fire and preparing themselves for war.
(b) Afraid of being drafted and are going into hiding or leaving the country.
(c) Angry that they will have to fight a war to satisfy the king's personal agenda and are protesting in the streets.
(d) Aware that the war will soon bring an end to the good times and are making merry while they can.
2. Which character from classical mythology does the chorus say fans the streamers of the brave fleet?
3. Dauphin tells the French king that they should show no more fear of England than if that country were busy with __________.
(a) Women in a bawdy house.
(b) A Whitsun morris-dance.
(c) Bear baiting.
(d) Attending a play.
4. The chorus invites the audience to "piece out" what with their thoughts?
(a) The story.
(b) What will happen in the next scene.
(c) The actors.
5. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
(b) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
(c) The battle of Armageddon.
(d) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
6. Who is NOT one of the "three corrupted men" the chorus says has conspired with France?
(a) Sir Thomas Grey of Northumberland.
(b) Richard Earl of Cambridge.
(c) Sir Thomas Erpingham.
(d) Henry Lord Scroop of Masham.
7. To what creature from classical mythology does Canterbury compare Prince Henry's willfulness?
(a) The Sphinx.
(c) The Gorgon.
(d) The Hydra.
8. For what does the boy say he would give all his fame?
(a) To have Falstaff alive again.
(b) A pot of ale and safety.
(c) A fair wench.
(d) Victory for the king.
9. The chorus asks to be admitted to what?
(b) This history.
(c) The presence of the king.
(d) The audience's good favor.
10. What does Bardolph say he will do to help Nym and Pistol become friends?
(a) Throw a dinner party.
(b) Give his own money to settle a gambling debt.
(c) Bestow them a breakfast.
(d) Take them out drinking.
11. What does Nym suggest Pistol can do to restore their friendship?
(a) Write a letter to the king extolling Nym's virtues.
(b) Pay him the money he owes him from betting.
(c) Divorce Hostess Quickly so he can marry her as originally planned.
(d) Kill one of Nym's enemies.
12. Why does Katherine think Alice speaks English well?
(a) Alice's previous job had been working for an English family.
(b) Alice had once been married to an English man.
(c) Alice has been to England.
(d) Alice's mother is English.
13. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
(a) An even smaller brain.
(b) The temper of a woman.
(c) A strong stomach.
(d) A mighty heart.
14. Canterbury tells King Henry that Salic is not part of France, but of _________.
15. What does the governor say was the Dauphin's response to his request for help in fighting the English?
(a) To hold fast because reinforcements are on their way.
(b) That Harfleur is not a strategic site and not worth defending.
(c) That the governor is lying because it would be impossible for the incompetent English to conquer a French town.
(d) That he is not yet ready to send adequate help.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the chorus, what is the French response to the impending war?
2. Hostess Quickly states that she "cannot lodge and board a dozen or fourteen gentlewomen" without it being thought she is running ___________.
3. On what does Hostess Quickly blame Sir John's illness?
4. What does the chorus says separates the "two mighty monarchies"?
5. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)