|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are "lavoltas" and "corantos"?
(a) Types of dances.
(b) Ethnic slurs.
(c) Spanish foods enjoyed by the French court.
2. How do the English respond to the French's offer of marriage of Katherine to Henry and Katherine's dowry?
(a) The offer is accepted and Henry sends ambassadors to Paris to negotiate a treaty.
(b) Henry says he will have to meet Katherine before making a decision.
(c) Henry says he can find a wife in England, but he will accept the dowry.
(d) The offer is rejected and cannons begin firing on the town.
3. What does King Henry tell Exeter to do with the drunken man who had railed against him the day before?
(a) Put him in the stocks in the town square.
(b) Execute him.
(c) Pardon him.
(d) Offer him a position at court.
4. King Henry states that he will be "No king of England" if he is not also what else?
(a) King of France.
(b) A victorious warrior.
(c) A merciful king.
(d) A lover of God and of his holy church.
5. What is Alice's response to Katherine's assertion that she (Alice) speaks English well?
(a) Alice laughs and asks Katherine why she would think such a thing.
(b) Alice confirms that she is fluent in English.
(c) Alice corrects Katherine and tells her it is German she speaks fluently, not English.
(d) Alice says she knows a little.
6. Why does Henry say the soldiers will go to Calais?
(a) To spend the winter.
(b) To attack it.
(c) To obtain provisions and material.
(d) To meet up with rebel French troops who support the English.
7. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
(a) The Irish.
(b) The Scots.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The Vikings.
8. The chorus asks the audience "kindly to judge" what?
(a) Each other.
(b) People of the past and their actions.
(c) The play.
9. Henry states that during peacetime, nothing is more becoming to a man than __________.
(a) Humble patience.
(b) Hard-favored rage.
(c) Fair nature.
(d) Modest stillness and humility.
10. In the Prologue, what term does the chorus use to describe King Henry?
11. In what city does Act 1, Scene 1 take place?
12. Which character from classical mythology does the chorus say fans the streamers of the brave fleet?
13. For what does the boy say he would give all his fame?
(a) Victory for the king.
(b) To have Falstaff alive again.
(c) A pot of ale and safety.
(d) A fair wench.
14. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
(a) The game's afoot.
(b) Teach them how to war.
(c) Dishonor not your mother.
(d) On, to the breach.
15. What does Katherine think after she has learned two words in English?
(a) That she is a good scholar.
(b) That Alice is intentionally teaching her incorrect pronunciation.
(c) That English is a barbaric language.
(d) That she will never be able to learn such a difficult language.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
2. To whom is Hostess Nell Quickly married?
3. On what does Hostess Quickly blame Sir John's illness?
4. What type of muse does the chorus invoke?
5. The chorus asks to be admitted to what?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)