|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry tell the governor will happen if Harfleur does not surrender?
(a) Women and children will be allowed to leave, but all men will be executed.
(b) Henry will send a message to the king of France saying the governor put innocent citizens in harm's way to protect his political position.
(c) They will blockade the town until they surrender or starve.
(d) The attack will continue and innocent civilians will be raped, tortured, and killed.
2. To what creature from classical mythology does Canterbury compare Prince Henry's willfulness?
(a) The Sphinx.
(b) The Gorgon.
(c) The Hydra.
3. What does Canterbury say Henry had once been addicted to?
(a) Courses vain.
(b) Sot weed.
(d) Lusty wenches.
4. Who is NOT one of the "three corrupted men" the chorus says has conspired with France?
(a) Sir Thomas Grey of Northumberland.
(b) Richard Earl of Cambridge.
(c) Henry Lord Scroop of Masham.
(d) Sir Thomas Erpingham.
5. How did Hostess Quickly determine that Falstaff was near death?
(a) His breathing stopped.
(b) His body felt cold.
(c) He was unresponsive.
(d) He turned blue.
6. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
(a) A mighty heart.
(b) An even smaller brain.
(c) The temper of a woman.
(d) A strong stomach.
7. What does Alice tell Katherine when she pronounces "neck" as "nick" and "chin" as "sin"?
(a) Not to worry, because she can always hire interpreters.
(b) That she needs to pay closer attention to how the words are pronounced.
(c) That she pronounces the words as well as English natives.
(d) To stop wasting her time and stick with French.
8. At the conclusion of the lesson, what does Katherine suggest they do next?
(a) Find a professional English teacher.
(b) Practice their English on their visitors.
(c) Get ready for bed.
(d) Go to dinner.
9. In addition to not wanting to die, why does Nym not want to go up to the breach?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) He would just get in the way.
(c) He is against attacking innocent civilians.
(d) It is raining.
10. Which famous Parisian landmark does Exeter say will "shake" because of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry?
(a) The Arc de Triomphe.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) Notre Dame Cathedral.
11. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
(b) The battle of Armageddon.
(c) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
(d) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
12. Why does Katherine think Alice speaks English well?
(a) Alice's previous job had been working for an English family.
(b) Alice's mother is English.
(c) Alice has been to England.
(d) Alice had once been married to an English man.
13. The chorus asks to be admitted to what?
(a) The audience's good favor.
(b) The presence of the king.
(d) This history.
14. Why does Henry say the soldiers will go to Calais?
(a) To spend the winter.
(b) To obtain provisions and material.
(c) To attack it.
(d) To meet up with rebel French troops who support the English.
15. As Pistol bids his wife farewell, he tells her to let what appear?
(a) Their unborn child.
(b) Her lover.
(d) Good fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, the chorus refers to King Henry by what nickname?
2. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
3. Hostess Quickly believes that Sir John Falstaff is not in hell, but in the bosom of __________.
4. Henry tells his army that "when the blast of war blows in our ears," to imitate the action of which animal?
5. How do the English respond to the French's offer of marriage of Katherine to Henry and Katherine's dowry?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)