|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Canterbury urges King Henry to divide England into __________ and have __________ go to fight France while the rest stays home to defend against invaders.
(a) Ten/three tenths.
(b) Three/one third.
(c) Four/one quarter.
(d) Two/one half.
2. What are "lavoltas" and "corantos"?
(a) Spanish foods enjoyed by the French court.
(b) Types of dances.
(c) Ethnic slurs.
3. What does Ely say regarding the transformation in King Henry?
(a) We are blessed.
(b) He now has a holier-than-thou attitude.
(c) It was a long time coming.
(d) He used to be more fun.
4. To which ancient notable military leader does Henry compare the fathers of his men?
(a) Attila the Hun.
(b) Julius Caesar.
5. Henry tells Cambridge, Grey, and Scroop that mercy has been suppressed and killed for them. What caused this to happen?
(a) Their own counsel.
(b) Exeter's testimony.
(c) A letter from the Dauphin stating that it took very little to bribe them.
(d) An edict from the church.
6. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) The battle of Armageddon.
(b) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
(c) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
(d) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
7. What is the boy's urgent message that diverts Nym and Pistol from their duel?
(a) He has heard of an assassination plot against the king.
(b) King Henry needs to see them right away.
(c) His master is ill and he wants Pistol and Hostess to come immediately.
(d) French troops have launched a counter invasion and will be in London in a few hours.
8. What type of muse does the chorus invoke?
9. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
(a) Teach them how to war.
(b) Dishonor not your mother.
(c) The game's afoot.
(d) On, to the breach.
10. How are Exeter and Westmoreland related to King Henry?
(a) Exeter is his nephew and Westmoreland is his uncle.
(b) Exeter is his cousin and Westmoreland is his nephew.
(c) Exeter is his brother and Westmoreland is his son.
(d) Exeter is his uncle and Westmoreland is his cousin.
11. To what does Henry compare his men as they are eagerly awaiting battle?
(a) Fighting dogs.
(d) Race horses.
12. What does Nym suggest Pistol can do to restore their friendship?
(a) Pay him the money he owes him from betting.
(b) Divorce Hostess Quickly so he can marry her as originally planned.
(c) Kill one of Nym's enemies.
(d) Write a letter to the king extolling Nym's virtues.
13. What is Fluellen's opinion of Captain Macmorris and Captain Jamy concerning military matters?
(a) Both men are knowledgeable and competent.
(b) Both men are ignorant and incompetent.
(c) Macmorris is incompetent, but Jamy is very knowledgeable.
(d) Jamy is incompetent, but Macmorris is very knowledgeable.
14. What does the governor say was the Dauphin's response to his request for help in fighting the English?
(a) To hold fast because reinforcements are on their way.
(b) That Harfleur is not a strategic site and not worth defending.
(c) That the governor is lying because it would be impossible for the incompetent English to conquer a French town.
(d) That he is not yet ready to send adequate help.
15. As Pistol bids his wife farewell, he tells her to let what appear?
(b) Their unborn child.
(c) Good fortune.
(d) Her lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Henry responds to the Dauphin's insulting gesture by declaring war, the chorus states that "all the youth of England are" in what state of mind and doing what?
2. In the Prologue, the chorus refers to King Henry by what nickname?
3. Why does Ely think King Henry will prevent a certain bill from being passed that would take away half the church's land and money?
4. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
5. The constable tells the Dauphin that he has a mistaken opinion regarding what?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)