|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The chorus invites the audience to "piece out" what with their thoughts?
(a) What will happen in the next scene.
(c) The story.
(d) The actors.
2. What words from Henry's speech at Harfleur does Bardolph repeat to the others in his group?
(a) On, to the breach.
(b) Dishonor not your mother.
(c) Teach them how to war.
(d) The game's afoot.
3. Which famous Parisian landmark does Exeter say will "shake" because of the Dauphin's insulting gift to King Henry?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) The Arc de Triomphe.
(d) Notre Dame Cathedral.
4. From where does the chorus ask the audience to imagine that the "well-appointed king" and his fleet embark?
(a) The Straits of Dover.
(d) Hampton pier.
5. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
(b) Wood from their own ships.
(c) English dead.
(d) French dead.
6. Henry states that during peacetime, nothing is more becoming to a man than __________.
(a) Modest stillness and humility.
(b) Fair nature.
(c) Hard-favored rage.
(d) Humble patience.
7. In the Prologue, what term does the chorus use to describe King Henry?
8. After Henry responds to the Dauphin's insulting gesture by declaring war, the chorus states that "all the youth of England are" in what state of mind and doing what?
(a) Afraid of being drafted and are going into hiding or leaving the country.
(b) Aware that the war will soon bring an end to the good times and are making merry while they can.
(c) Angry that they will have to fight a war to satisfy the king's personal agenda and are protesting in the streets.
(d) On fire and preparing themselves for war.
9. What is Alice's response to Katherine's assertion that she (Alice) speaks English well?
(a) Alice corrects Katherine and tells her it is German she speaks fluently, not English.
(b) Alice confirms that she is fluent in English.
(c) Alice laughs and asks Katherine why she would think such a thing.
(d) Alice says she knows a little.
10. What does Nym suggest Pistol can do to restore their friendship?
(a) Divorce Hostess Quickly so he can marry her as originally planned.
(b) Write a letter to the king extolling Nym's virtues.
(c) Pay him the money he owes him from betting.
(d) Kill one of Nym's enemies.
11. The "vasty fields" the chorus mentions are located in which country?
12. Why does Katherine think Alice speaks English well?
(a) Alice had once been married to an English man.
(b) Alice's mother is English.
(c) Alice has been to England.
(d) Alice's previous job had been working for an English family.
13. To whom is Hostess Nell Quickly married?
(a) Sir John Falstaff.
14. How are Exeter and Westmoreland related to King Henry?
(a) Exeter is his cousin and Westmoreland is his nephew.
(b) Exeter is his uncle and Westmoreland is his cousin.
(c) Exeter is his brother and Westmoreland is his son.
(d) Exeter is his nephew and Westmoreland is his uncle.
15. The chorus tells the audience that in the absence of the king and the army, England will be guarded by the following groups of people except for:
(a) Privèd maidens.
(b) Old women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry say the soldiers will go to Calais?
2. The chorus asks the audience "kindly to judge" what?
3. Dauphin tells the French king that they should show no more fear of England than if that country were busy with __________.
4. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
5. Canterbury urges King Henry to divide England into __________ and have __________ go to fight France while the rest stays home to defend against invaders.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)