|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ely think King Henry will prevent a certain bill from being passed that would take away half the church's land and money?
(a) King Henry is a good friend of Canterbury and will do what he requests.
(b) The Queen Mother would be unhappy if the bill passed.
(c) The king is a true lover of the holy church.
(d) Peasants would riot in the streets.
2. What military operation does Fluellen think is being done incorrectly?
(a) Setting up a prisoner-of-war interment camp.
(b) Digging mines.
(c) Breaching the city's walls.
(d) The set up of the cannons.
3. King Henry hesitates to go to war with France because he is afraid what group will seize the opportunity to invade?
(a) The Spanish.
(b) The Scots.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The Vikings.
4. King Henry implores his army that if they do not go unto the breach once more, then they should close up the walls of the city with what?
(a) Wood from their own ships.
(b) English dead.
(d) French dead.
5. The chorus compares England's response to the war to a person with a "little body" and __________.
(a) A mighty heart.
(b) The temper of a woman.
(c) An even smaller brain.
(d) A strong stomach.
6. What justification does Henry give for his soldiers to wreak havoc if Harfleur does not surrender?
(a) The soldiers will be so enraged that he will not be able to control them.
(b) To make an example of them for other French cities.
(c) To prove to the Dauphin that war is his favorite sport, not tennis.
(d) This is what French soldiers would do if the situation were reversed.
7. In addition to not wanting to die, why does Nym not want to go up to the breach?
(a) He is against attacking innocent civilians.
(b) He would just get in the way.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) It is raining.
8. According to the chorus, what is the French response to the impending war?
(a) They are not worried because they know the Spanish will come to their aid.
(b) They are as eager to go to war as the English.
(c) They are shaking in their fear.
(d) They are confident that their diplomats will bring about a peaceful resolution.
9. What does Ely say regarding the transformation in King Henry?
(a) It was a long time coming.
(b) We are blessed.
(c) He used to be more fun.
(d) He now has a holier-than-thou attitude.
10. Henry tells his army that "when the blast of war blows in our ears," to imitate the action of which animal?
11. To what account from the Christian Bible does Henry allude to when he foretells the suffering the people of Harfleur will experience if they do not surrender?
(a) Pharaoh's slaughter of Hebrew babies.
(b) Joshua's attack on Jericho.
(c) The battle of Armageddon.
(d) Herod's slaughter of Jewish children.
12. How are Exeter and Westmoreland related to King Henry?
(a) Exeter is his uncle and Westmoreland is his cousin.
(b) Exeter is his cousin and Westmoreland is his nephew.
(c) Exeter is his brother and Westmoreland is his son.
(d) Exeter is his nephew and Westmoreland is his uncle.
13. What does Canterbury say Henry had once been addicted to?
(a) Sot weed.
(c) Lusty wenches.
(d) Courses vain.
14. Canterbury urges King Henry to look to his great uncle, who had once defeated the French, for strength. What is the name of Henry's great uncle?
(a) Edward Longshanks.
(b) King Arthur.
(c) William the Conqueror.
(d) Edward the Black Prince.
15. What does King Henry tell Exeter to do with the drunken man who had railed against him the day before?
(a) Put him in the stocks in the town square.
(b) Pardon him.
(c) Execute him.
(d) Offer him a position at court.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chorus invites the audience to "piece out" what with their thoughts?
2. The "vasty fields" the chorus mentions are located in which country?
3. Henry tells Cambridge, Grey, and Scroop that mercy has been suppressed and killed for them. What caused this to happen?
4. What does Henry tell the governor will happen if Harfleur does not surrender?
5. The constable tells the Dauphin that he has a mistaken opinion regarding what?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)