|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Hotpsur use to describe the Prince when he hears that Lancaster is marching?
2. Why is Bardolph called the Knight of the Burning Lamp?
3. When Falstaff and the Prince call each other "Jack" what do they mean?
4. What does Douglas name Hotspur?
5. What does Falstaff say is pricking at him before the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most interesting aspects of Henry IV, Part 1 is the mixture of comedy and serious action. Looking at the overall action of the play, what is the effect if this mixture? Why would Shakespeare put so much comedy into a fairly serious tale about historical battles and power struggles? Does comedy allow the playwright to comment in a different way about honor? War? Struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this play. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)