|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money has Falstaff made bribing good men out of going to war?
2. How long does Hotspur have to wait for Glendower's assistance?
3. How does Northumberland let Hotspur know that he will not be coming to battle?
4. Why is the Archbishop fearful of Hotspur failing?
5. Why is Prince Henry asked to withdraw from battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the style of writing which Shakespeare uses in the first scene of the play? Using examples from the text show what pattern the writing takes. How many syllables/feet are in each line? What feeling does this type of writing give this scene?
Essay Topic 2
Some scholars have written that in Richard II divine right to rule dies. Henry IV takes that right when he murders Richard II. They go on to say that in this play honor dies. Hotspur is the embodiment of honor. Discuss this and relate the death of honor to this overall theme and action of this play.
Essay Topic 3
In Shakespeare's time women could not act on stage and so he was limited in the number of female characters he could put into each play. There was probably a limited supply of male actors who could "pass" as women onstage. Describe the types of women that are in this play. How many are there? What is their function? Are they major or minor characters?
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)