|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the King say he won his crown?
2. What is the situation in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Who announces to Gadshill that the travelers are coming?
4. Why is Hal given the title "Prince of Wales?"
5. What is "Charles' wain?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Falstaff say to the Prince before he is hushed on the highway?
2. Where does the first scene take place?
3. How does Prince Hal amend the robbery operation?
4. What news does the chamberlain share with Gadshill which sets off the robbery?
5. What did Henry Percy do before the play started that angers the King?
6. What does the Prince do when Falstaff falls asleep?
7. What happens after the first robbery has been committed by Falstaff?
8. What bad news does Vernon bring Hotspur, and how does Hotspur react to this news?
9. Why is the Archbishop so fearful of Hotspur failing in his cause?
10. Who does the King compare he and his son to while scolding the Prince for his behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hotspur and the Prince are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
The Prince endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of Henry IV, part 1? Make an argument that it is King Henry IV. What is the development of the King? Does he change in this play? Is there a shift of perception? Does he learn something important? Make an argument that it is Prince Hal. What is his development? What changes does the Prince go through? What do we learn about him from the scenes with Falstaff?
This section contains 1,761 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)