|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the King weary of at the beginning of the play?
2. What does Falstaff say men who steal purses should be named when the Prince is King?
3. What does the King want from Hotspur?
4. What does the carrier have in his hand at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Who is the King envious of at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Falstaff say he has heard people on the street say about the Prince?
2. What does Falstaff do when he sees the dead Sir Walter Blunt?
3. What is the controversy over Falstaff's seal ring?
4. What does Falstaff tell the Prince after speaking with the nobleman sent by the King?
5. How did Falstaff enlist most of his soldiers?
6. What does the Prince promise his father he will do on the battlefield?
7. Where does the first scene take place?
8. How does the Chamberlain say Gadhill will die, and how does Gadshill respond to this?
9. Who is Lord John of Lancaster?
10. What must Falstaff do to repay the Prince for his help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most interesting aspects of Henry IV, Part 1 is the mixture of comedy and serious action. Looking at the overall action of the play, what is the effect if this mixture? Why would Shakespeare put so much comedy into a fairly serious tale about historical battles and power struggles? Does comedy allow the playwright to comment in a different way about honor? War? Struggle?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this play as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)