|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes first to Shrewsbury?
2. What does the King scold his son for?
3. What does the Prince blame for the thing his father scolds him for?
4. Who murders Richard II?
5. What do the carriers want the Ostler to do for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hotspur say when the offer from the King is read?
2. How is it that the First Carrier can tell what time it is?
3. What does the offer from the King to Hotspur contain?
4. How does Vernon describe the King's army and the Prince of Wales?
5. Why is so much of what Falstaff and Prince Hal are saying unintelligible to modern audiences?
6. What part does the Archbishop of York have in the rebellion?
7. Why does Falstaff tell the mistress that he cannot pay his bill?
8. How does Shakespeare cue the audience as to where a scene, such as Hotspur at Warkworth Castle, is taking place?
9. What does Falstaff do when he sees the dead Sir Walter Blunt?
10. What did Henry Percy do before the play started that angers the King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character study of Prince Hal. What is his relationship to the King? To Falstaff? What stage of his life is he in? What happens to his character over the life of this play? Does he become more himself or does he abandon his true self when he returns to his royal personage?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 1,860 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)