|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mortimer related to Hotspur?
2. Who does King Henry compare his son to while scolding him?
3. How many men does Falstaff claimed attacked him?
4. What is Falstaff's first name?
5. What is Poins first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 4 at the tavern, Falstaff goes to deal with the King's messenger and comes back with what message?
2. Who is King Henry the Fourth?
3. What has Prince Hal done to keep Falstaff from being arrested for the robbery?
4. What does Vernon say when he hears of the Prince's offer to single combat?
5. What does Worcester tell young Hotspur when he returns from his conversation in the King's camp?
6. Where does the first scene take place?
7. Who has set up the robbery?
8. What does the King say he fears his son will do with the war?
9. What does Prince Henry say must happen during the war when he goes to the tavern?
10. Why can Mortimer and his new wife, the daughter of Glendower, not communicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The second scene takes place in a tavern and is written in prose. How is this style of writing different? What is the effect of this on the feeling and tone of the scene? What does it allow Shakespeare to do?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the protagonist of Henry IV, part 1? Make an argument that it is King Henry IV. What is the development of the King? Does he change in this play? Is there a shift of perception? Does he learn something important? Make an argument that it is Prince Hal. What is his development? What changes does the Prince go through? What do we learn about him from the scenes with Falstaff?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)