|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Allendy predict would keep Nin unhappy?
(a) Not being herself.
(b) Denying her homosexuality.
(c) Writing in her journal.
(d) Being with Miller.
2. What was the motivation behind Miller's tirade about Hugo and Nin's relationship?
(a) He believed that he could drive Hugo away.
(b) He wanted Nin entirely to himself.
(c) He was afraid that Nin would ultimately choose Hugo over himself.
(d) He thought Nin was hurting Hugo unfairly.
3. What did Miller begin to consider in July, despite Nin's insistence that he not?
(a) Pursuing another woman.
(b) Leaving Mansfield.
(c) Moving to New York.
(d) Giving up writing.
4. How did Allendy characterize Hugo?
(a) Nin's brother.
(b) Nin's true love.
(c) Nin's father.
(d) Nin's child.
5. By May, how did Nin begin to view her journal?
(a) A lifeline.
(b) A new lover.
(c) A necessity.
(d) A vice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nin ask of Miller in May?
2. If Nin should ever lose Miller, what did she claim would no longer be necessary?
3. Why could Nin no longer feel comfortable in her own home in May?
4. In May, Nin began to wonder which of the two men (Miller and Allendy) were helping her control her _____.
5. How had Nin's romantic love for Hugo changed over the years by her estimation in April?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revitalized Hugo and Nin's relationship in May?
2. Why was Nin firm about her commitment that she would always choose Hugo over Miller?
3. Describe Nin's studio at Louveciennes.
4. Why did Mansfield's return worry both Miller and Nin?
5. Why was Nin unable to believe Miller would leave Mansfield for her?
6. How was Miller hypocritical about relationships?
7. What was Dr. Allendy's analysis of Nin's relationships?
8. Describe Nin's discussion about her femininity with Dr. Allendy.
9. What was problematic about Nin's agreement to Eduardo in regards to her journal?
10. What is significant about Nin's realization that she had never given herself fully to another person?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)