|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Nin first sleep with Henry Miller?
(a) She was trying to get back at Hugo.
(b) She pitied him.
(c) She thought she could write about her experiences for her next book.
(d) She was slipped a drug.
2. According to Nin, what could she not be if she were a faithful wife?
(a) An expert on erotica.
(c) A tragic figure.
(d) An artist.
3. After their meeting in March, what was Nin happy to do for him?
(a) Break off her relationship with Mansfield.
(d) Divorce Hugo.
4. What did Nin realize her letters to Miller took the place of in March?
(a) Writing in her journal.
(b) Having sex with Hugo.
(c) Talking to Hugo.
(d) Writing a short story.
5. Why was Nin unable to eat in front of Mansfield when they met for lunch in January of 1932?
(a) She was too intimidated by Mansfield.
(b) She was too ill from drinking the night before.
(c) She was hoping to hide her nervous eating habits from Mansfield.
(d) She was annoyed that Mansfield was pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Eduardo claim that Nin could not be a lesbian?
2. What did Nin allow Miller to do in March?
3. What about Nin hurt Hugo more than anything else in the beginning of the journal?
4. Nin found herself torn between ______ and Mansfield for romantic affection in March.
5. Of what was Nin unsure in March in regards to Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Eduardo suggest Nin see a psychoanalyst?
2. Why did Nin feel that Henry and Mansfield had caused her to lose her sense of logic?
3. Why was Nin obsessed with sexual fulfillment in October of 1931?
4. How did Nin characterize her relationships with men to Eduardo and why?
5. How did Nin feel about Mansfield when she met her?
6. What was significant about Nin allowing so many people to read her journal?
7. Why did Nin begin to doubt Mansfield's mental stability?
8. How did Nin realize that she might be falling in love with Miller in March?
9. Describe Nin and Miller's first meeting.
10. How did Nin juggle her conflicting affections for both Miller and Mansfield in March?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)