|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When analyzing Mansfield's stories, what doubts does Nin begin to feel?
(a) She doubted Mansfield's mental stability.
(b) She doubted Mansfield's feelings for her.
(c) She doubted Mansfield's talent as an artist.
(d) She doubted Mansfield is capable of telling the truth.
2. Why did Nin first sleep with Henry Miller?
(a) She was slipped a drug.
(b) She was trying to get back at Hugo.
(c) She pitied him.
(d) She thought she could write about her experiences for her next book.
3. Describe Jean's relationship to Mansfield.
(a) They were cousins.
(b) They were rivals for Miller and Nin's affections.
(c) They were sisters.
(d) They were lovers.
4. How did Hugo feel about June Mansfield when he first met her?
(a) He was afraid of her intellect.
(b) He hated her.
(c) He pitied her.
(d) He was attracted to her.
5. Why did Miller become angry with Nin during his first attempt at seducing her?
(a) She kept talking about her cousin.
(b) She got drunk and passed out.
(c) He did not know she had a husband.
(d) He thought she was purposely being coy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nin, why did she try to assume the dominant role in a relationship?
2. What revelation did Eduardo make to Nin in the first month of this journal?
3. Where did Eduardo and Nin have their first conversation of the book?
4. How did Hugo feel about Nin's new aspect on life after her meeting with Miller in March?
5. Who suggested Nin sees a psychoanalyst?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nin and Miller's relationship evolve during March?
2. How did Miller admit to feeling about Nin around March?
3. How did Nin characterize her relationships with men to Eduardo and why?
4. How did Nin and Miller build their relationship in February?
5. How did Nin juggle her conflicting affections for both Miller and Mansfield in March?
6. Describe the exhibition Nin and Hugo attend.
7. How did Nin realize that she might be falling in love with Miller in March?
8. Why was Hugo worried about Nin's affair with Miller?
9. What was significant about Nin allowing so many people to read her journal?
10. Why did Nin begin to doubt Mansfield's mental stability?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)