|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Miller claim that Nin needed more of a man than Hugo?
(a) He saw her as fragile.
(b) He saw her as lonely.
(c) He saw her as aggressive.
(d) He saw her as passionate.
2. What did Perles and Miller both beg of Nin when they meet with her in March?
(a) They begged her to pose for a portrait.
(b) They both wanted her to spend the night with him.
(c) They begged her to read her work aloud to him.
(d) They asked her to leave them alone.
3. With whom does Nin find solace when she was at her most insecure in March?
4. How did Hugo feel about June Mansfield when he first met her?
(a) He hated her.
(b) He was attracted to her.
(c) He was afraid of her intellect.
(d) He pitied her.
5. What action did Nin and her guest take at the exhibition?
(a) They merely watched.
(b) They each painted one of the dancers.
(c) They danced.
(d) They drank with the dancers.
6. How did Hugo find out about Nin's affair with John Erskine?
(a) He read her journal.
(b) He found the gifts Erskine had given her.
(c) Erskine's wife confronted Hugo when she saw him at a museum.
(d) Erskine wrote him a letter.
7. When Nin read Miller's new novel in February, how did she feel about it?
(a) She enjoyed his technical skill, but believed he lacked passion.
(b) She found it to be boring.
(c) She was annoyed that he included their affair as part of the novel.
(d) She found it to be beautiful.
8. What was the purpose of the exhibition Nin attended in March?
(a) Naked women were dancing and having sex.
(b) Naked men were posing for artists.
(c) Naked men danced for money.
(d) Naked men and women were painting and dancing.
9. Who did Nin allow to read her journal at the end of March?
10. What did Nin leave a dinner with Hugo to do in March of 1932?
(a) Read a letter from Miller.
(b) Read a letter from Mansfield.
(c) Took a call from Mansfield.
(d) Took a call from Miller.
11. How did Miller feel about Nin and Mansfield's relationship in January of 1932?
(a) He began to feel emasculated by their relationship.
(b) He began to entertain thoughts of living with both women.
(c) He began to hate Mansfield.
(d) He began to hate Nin.
12. With whom does Nin attempt to end a relationship in March of 1932?
13. What did Nin allow Miller to do in March?
(a) Write about their relationship.
(b) Read her journal.
(c) Watch her have sex with Hugo.
(d) Slap her.
14. In March of 1932, where did Nin and Miller meet?
(a) Cafe de la Rotonde.
(b) Cafe de le Dome.
(c) La Closerie des Lilas.
(d) La Coupole.
15. How did Perles's suggestion to Nin that she loved Miller more than Mansfield affect Nin?
(a) She grew saddened.
(b) She grew defensive.
(c) She felt alienated from Mansfield.
(d) She felt emboldened.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their meeting in March, what was Nin happy to do for him?
2. According to Nin, what could she not be if she were a faithful wife?
3. Why was Nin unable to eat in front of Mansfield when they met for lunch in January of 1932?
4. Why did Miller want to unmask Nin?
5. How did Perles feel when Nin went to Miller's bedroom the night they met?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)