|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nin unable to do for Mansfield in her dream?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Satisfy her.
(c) Find her.
(d) Leave her.
2. How did Hugo find out about Nin's affair with John Erskine?
(a) He found the gifts Erskine had given her.
(b) He read her journal.
(c) Erskine wrote him a letter.
(d) Erskine's wife confronted Hugo when she saw him at a museum.
3. After Mansfield's departure in January of 1932, where did Nin go to recover?
4. How did Perles's suggestion to Nin that she loved Miller more than Mansfield affect Nin?
(a) She grew defensive.
(b) She felt alienated from Mansfield.
(c) She felt emboldened.
(d) She grew saddened.
5. Who suggested Nin sees a psychoanalyst?
6. According to Nin, what could she not be if she were a faithful wife?
(b) An artist.
(c) A tragic figure.
(d) An expert on erotica.
7. How did Miller feel about Nin and Mansfield's relationship in January of 1932?
(a) He began to hate Nin.
(b) He began to hate Mansfield.
(c) He began to feel emasculated by their relationship.
(d) He began to entertain thoughts of living with both women.
8. What was significant about Nin's meeting with Perles and Miller?
(a) Miller ignored Nin.
(b) Both men wanted her.
(c) Perles immediately hated Nin.
(d) Nin refused to talk to either of the men.
9. Why did Miller want to unmask Nin?
(a) He wanted to own every aspect of her.
(b) He wanted to tear her down for his own needs.
(c) He wanted to manipulate her out of loving Hugo.
(d) He wanted to write about her.
10. Where did Eduardo and Nin have their first conversation of the book?
11. According to Nin, what did Henry and Mansfield destroy in her?
12. How did Perles feel when Nin went to Miller's bedroom the night they met?
(a) He felt jealous.
(b) He was indifferent.
(c) He felt angry at Nin.
(d) He felt sorry for Mansfield.
13. In dividing her affections between Miller and Hugo, how did Nin view herself?
(a) Two separate people.
(b) A phony.
(c) A spy.
(d) A betrayer of affections.
14. Nin referred to a period of time she spent in a certain city in February of 1932, though never revealed what happened there. What city was this?
(b) St. Tropez.
15. Where did Nin meet Perles and Miller in March?
(a) The Eiffel tower.
(b) Cafe Rotundo.
(c) Place Clichy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nin realize her letters to Miller took the place of in March?
2. What did Nin leave a dinner with Hugo to do in March of 1932?
3. Fill in the blank: at the end of January, Nin concluded that Mansfield was capable of only generosity and of loving _____.
4. Even after their meeting with Perles, how did Miller still view Nin?
5. Why did Nin refuse to leave Hugo?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)