|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of school did Dahfu attend?
2. How old was Henderson when his brother died?
3. Who is Gimilo?
4. Which of the following is one of Lily's good traits?
5. Where does Dahfu say Bunam and the executioner are from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henderson's first morning at the village.
2. How does Henderson defend his sessions with Dahu and Atti?
3. What do Henderson and Dahfu think about each other?
4. Why will Henderson not turn back in Chapter Sixteen?
5. Why does Dahfur claim he needs a lion?
6. Describe Dahfu's wife in chapter 18.
7. How does Romilayu save Henderson from evil?
8. What is Henderson's life like as an Sungo?
9. What are Dahfu's dying words to Henderson?
10. How does Henderson imitate the lion's behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The character of Henderson is a portrayal of American societty's increasingly individualistic outlook. Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Bellow use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the following statement: "In order to cope and understand death, people need to have an understanding of their spiritual nature." Argue for or against the statement using examples from the novel.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)