|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Henderson when his brother died?
2. What is the name of the lion?
3. What do the wome throe HEnderson into?
4. Who does Henderson wish was with him?
5. What kind of lion was Dahfu parted from when he went to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henderson's first morning at the village.
2. What is Henderson's life like as an Sungo?
3. What bet do Henderson and Dahfu make?
4. What pact do Henderson and Dahfu make?
5. What are Dahfu's dying words to Henderson?
6. What is Dahfu's conviction about people?
7. What is Henderson's bad feeling in Chapter Twenty?
8. What does Henderson write in his letter to Lilly?
9. Why must Henderson try and lift the idol?
10. Describe Dahfu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bellow's life. In what way do you think his life and personality are reflected in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Africa.
1) What meaning does Africa bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that is set in Africa?
2) How different do you think today's Africa is to the Africa in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Africa?
3) How do you think the African settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Henderson and Lily.
1) In what ways are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)