|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tribe Henderson meets in Chapter six?
2. What kind of ticket does Henderson buy for his trip to Africa?
3. What is the name of Willatal's sister?
4. Who does Henderson say is the sanest person in his family?
5. What falls out of the books when Henderson reads them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lily's life up to meeting Henderson?
2. How does the meeting with Willatale change Henderson?
3. How are Henderson and Romilayu greeted at the Wariri village?
4. In what way is Henderson's colonial mindset revealed in this chapter?
5. Describe the wrestling match between Itelo and Henderson?
6. Why are the villagers so upset when Henderson arrives in Chapter Five?
7. Describe the meeting between Willatale and Henderson.
8. What does Henderson feel when he sees the frog?
9. In what way do Lily and Henderson's opinions differ on the portrait?
10. How is Henderson going to build a bomb?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Bellow's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Look at the following statement: "In order to cope and understand death, people need to have an understanding of their spiritual nature." Argue for or against the statement using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Bellow use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)