|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the villagers upset?
2. In what part of France does Lily meet Henderson?
3. What is the name of Henderson's first wife?
4. Who does Henderson think will be the person to sort him out?
5. What does grun-tu-molani mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dick die?
2. In what way is Henderson's colonial mindset revealed in this chapter?
3. How has Lily' s life changed in Chapter Three?
4. Why does Henderson head off to the remote parts of Africa?
5. In what way is Willatale sympathetic to Henderson's plight?
6. In what way do Lily and Henderson's opinions differ on the portrait?
7. How are Henderson and Romilayu greeted at the Wariri village?
8. Describe the meeting between Willatale and Henderson.
9. Describe the wrestling match between Itelo and Henderson?
10. Describe how Henderson kills the frogs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henderson the Rain King is a famous book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after The Rain King that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss there similarities in terms of
Essay Topic 2
Look at the following statement: "In order to cope and understand death, people need to have an understanding of their spiritual nature." Argue for or against the statement using examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What are the main concerns during the 1950's? How does Bellow express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)