|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does Henderson have a violin lesson?
2. What does Henderson hear a voice saying?
3. Of what does Willatale say Henderson has some foundations?
4. What kind of animal does Henderson farm?
5. What are Lily and her father doing when he knocks out her teeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lily and Henderson meet?
2. Why are Henderson's books so important to him?
3. What does Henderson get from playing the violin?
4. How does Henderson describe himself?
5. Describe how Henderson kills the frogs.
6. How does Dick die?
7. In what way is Henderson's colonial mindset revealed in this chapter?
8. How has Lily' s life changed in Chapter Three?
9. Describe Lily's life up to meeting Henderson?
10. In what way is Willatale sympathetic to Henderson's plight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is set mostly in Africa.
1) What meaning does Africa bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that is set in Africa?
2) How different do you think today's Africa is to the Africa in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Africa?
3) How do you think the African settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spiritual meaning?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the novel reflect changes or problems that occur in Africa years later? In what way does the novel reflect the relationship between Africa and America as it is now?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Henderson and Lily.
1) In what ways are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)