|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of chapter four?
2. What does Henderson think is the only thing that can burst the spirit's sleep?
3. What kind of school does Ricey attend?
4. What time do the owners have to pick up the cat?
5. What is the name of Henderson's first wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henderson have to fight Itelo?
2. Describe Mtalba's visit with Henderson.
3. Describe the meeting between Willatale and Henderson.
4. Describe how Henderson kills the frogs.
5. How does Henderson describe himself?
6. How does Dick die?
7. How does the meeting with Willatale change Henderson?
8. Why does Henderson feel depressed after the wrestling match?
9. How do Lily and Henderson meet?
10. Why are Henderson's books so important to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motives? Why? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What are the main concerns during the 1950's? How does Bellow express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Henderson and Lily.
1) In what ways are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think they are the perfect match?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)