|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what kind of illness does Frances suffer?
2. How do the Arnewi people react to Henderson's victory?
3. Why is Hendrson depressed?
4. With what is the pool infested?
5. Where do Frances and Henderson go for the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lily and Henderson do in Paris?
2. In what way do Lily and Henderson's opinions differ on the portrait?
3. What experience has been weighing on Henderson's mind?
4. What does Ricey do with the black baby?
5. Why does Henderson become a pig farmer?
6. Describe Lily and Henderson's marriage.
7. What convinces Henderson to go to Africa with Charlie and his wife?
8. Describe the wrestling match between Itelo and Henderson?
9. In what way is Henderson's colonial mindset revealed in this chapter?
10. What does Henderson get from playing the violin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Henderson the Rain King is part of the philosophical genre.
1) What are the conventions of the philosophical genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did Rain King help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Rain King?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Henderson's decision to leave his family for such a long time. Do characters such as Ricey and Lily need him to stay? How does his decision affect them? Does Henderson have an alternative to going to Africa, one that that still allows him to discover who he is? Is such an act could potentially destructive to a family? What does it say about American society that he decides to leave?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Bellow's writing style. How would you describe Bellow's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Bellow's style give to the story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)