|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. No __________ could be found and one alleged victim refused to testify in relation to the rape charges.
2. Who was the senator in Monterey County who was keen on outrage stories, according to Thompson?
3. What was the name of the motorcycle gang in "The Wild One" movie?
4. The citizens of the area were becoming concerned about the predictions of ______________ and criminal activities.
5. What was the title of the article printed about the Hell's Angels in Time Magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the Hell's Angels different from other gangs in their area of the state of California?
2. Where were the bikers at the beginning of the book headed to on Labor Day weekend?
3. What happened to the rape allegations that were made in reference to the Hell's Angels during the Labor Day weekend of 1964?
4. How are the bikers on Labor Day weekend described at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What did the jailer from San Francisco have to say about the Hell's Angels?
6. Why was Thompson eventually evicted from his apartment during the time he lived in California?
7. What was the basic tenet of the moral code of the Hell's Angels? What did they believe about those who harmed them?
8. Who were the 'One Percenters' as Thompson found out from his research?
9. What was the typical response of the police who were in the vicinity of Hell's Angels during that period of time?
10. What does Zorro, the only Brazilian Hell's Angel, say is the best thing about the Hell's Angels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The initiation ritual of the Hell's Angels is certainly an interesting one. That said, it also seems to create the idea that all of the men are equal.
Part 1: Why do you think an initiation ritual is necessary to be a part of the Hell's Angels?
Part 2: Why do you think feces and urine are used in this ritual? Why not something else?
Part 3: Can you come up with an alternative ritual the Hell's Angels might use to induct a new member?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, it seems that the Hell's Angels, though wary of Thompson at first, seem to open up to him in a way they might not with other journalists.
Part 1: Why do you think Thompson decided to learn more about the Hell's Angels?
Part 2: Why do you think the Hell's Angels responded to Thompson and his inquiries?
Part 3: Isn't Thompson just as bad as the rest of the media? Isn't he just trying to make money or gain fame from the celebrity of the Hell's Angels? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Meeting up with the sheriff of Bass Lake is an unexpected turn of events for a story about the Hell's Angels, it seems.
Part 1: Why do you think the Hell's Angels decided to meet up with the sheriff?
Part 2: Why was the sheriff keen on meeting up with the leader of the Hell's Angels?
Part 3: Do you think the sheriff intentionally led the Hell's Angels to an inferior camping area? Why or why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)