|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lionel makes his phone call, what surprising information does he receive about Deustch?
2. What does Lionel ask Edith to get for him when they go to bed?
3. What does Lionel say will happen if they stay in the house after the Reversor is started?
4. What does Lionel say the radiation of light negates?
5. After Florence's attack, Lionel goes to sleep. What does Edith do?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Ben compare Florence's belief that Daniel haunts Hell House, and what happened to that person?
2. What is the result of Florence's copulation with Daniel, and how does it affect her friendship with Ben?
3. If there was a moral to the story of Hell House, what would it be and why?
4. What happens forty-five minutes after Lionel starts the Reversor, and why does he tell Ben that he needs Ben's presence in the house?
5. What does Daniel tell Florence that Lionel's machine will do? What does he tell her he needs in order to leave?
6. What is Ben's reaction to Lionel's accusation that Deutsch is wasting one-third of his money?
7. At 6:47 a.m. on December 23, 1970, Florence once again seems to be the victim of the ghost's violence. Her scream cuts the early morning air. What happens to her, and what are her companions' opinions of the incident?
8. Ben and Lionel believe that Florence has created the ghost of Daniel Belasco. Florence vehemently denies this until she is struck with a sudden, painful memory. What is that memory, and who has she come to believe the ghost of Daniel Belasco really is?
9. What does Lionel do to keep Edith from wandering off while he is asleep? How does this make Edith feel at first? How does it make her feel later?
10. Describe Daniel Belasco's exhumation and reburial.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is a rich man with one wish left in life: to know if life after death exists. Why do you think he chose the Belasco house as his subject rather than some other location? What do you think led him to his choice of a physicist to lead the team rather than a paranormal expert? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Ben's two visits to Hell House. Cite examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How is Florence so easily fooled into giving in to (what she thinks is) Daniel Belasco? What are her motivations? How does she think her self-sacrifice will save Daniel from everlasting torment in Hell House? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)