|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does the group begin working on the morning after Florence's attack?
2. What awakens the Barretts after Edith returns to bed?
3. What object does Florence use to focus her trance on Daniel?
4. In what document does Florence find proof of Daniel's birth?
5. How does Florence feel about her behavior after she tries to seduce Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the words Florence repeats over the body of Daniel Belasco at his funeral, and what is their purpose?
2. Ben finally begins to agree with Florence about the entity haunting Hell House. Who does Florence think it is, and what do they believe is the spirit's purpose for haunting?
3. Why do you think Florence wrote the letter "B" in her own blood on the chapel floor? What do you think she was trying to tell the Barretts and Ben?
4. Describe Daniel Belasco's exhumation and reburial.
5. Lionel's concern for the health of Florence and Ben leads him to call Deutsch's man for medical help, preferably an ambulance. What does Lionel learn during that call?
6. What happens to Florence after she finally gives in to Daniel's pleas?
7. How does Lionel behave after his attack in the steam room, and how does he rationalize the experience?
8. What does Lionel do to keep Edith from wandering off while he is asleep? How does this make Edith feel at first? How does it make her feel later?
9. Lionel and Edith have an awkward moment in the steam room, and Edith leaves hastily, slamming the door behind her. What happens to Lionel after he is abandoned in the steam room?
10. What is the result of Florence's copulation with Daniel, and how does it affect her friendship with Ben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The group's members are offered $100,000 apiece to find an answer to the question of life after death. However, only Ben has experienced the true nature of Hell House, and he was left in horrible condition. Is the money worth their lives? What could possibly make them stay around after the awful way that Florence died? What could be the motivation for them to stay? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The spirits have not left Hell House as originally thought and, as Edith naps, Lionel is dragged into the pool and drowned by an unseen force. Edith is awakened by Lionel's voice and her wedding ring cracking in two. Is this ending too "formulaic"? Were you expecting a more creative ending? If so, what would be more appropriate? Was Edith one of the characters you expected to survive the ending? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is a rich man with one wish left in life: to know if life after death exists. Why do you think he chose the Belasco house as his subject rather than some other location? What do you think led him to his choice of a physicist to lead the team rather than a paranormal expert? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)