|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben notice through an opening he made in the wine cellar wall?
2. Who does Florence say is waiting for Daniel after she removes her clothes?
3. What does Ben say about Daniel to Florence while she is praying for Daniel's release?
4. What does Florence find on the body in the wine cellar?
5. What is Daniel's middle name?
Short Essay Questions
1. If there was a moral to the story of Hell House, what would it be and why?
2. What is the operating premise of the Reversor?
3. What does Daniel tell Florence that Lionel's machine will do? What does he tell her he needs in order to leave?
4. How does Lionel behave after his attack in the steam room, and how does he rationalize the experience?
5. What does Lionel do to keep Edith from wandering off while he is asleep? How does this make Edith feel at first? How does it make her feel later?
6. At 6:47 a.m. on December 23, 1970, Florence once again seems to be the victim of the ghost's violence. Her scream cuts the early morning air. What happens to her, and what are her companions' opinions of the incident?
7. From what does Lionel say that ecotoplasm derives, and from what does he say it is?
8. What happens forty-five minutes after Lionel starts the Reversor, and why does he tell Ben that he needs Ben's presence in the house?
9. Describe Daniel Belasco's exhumation and reburial.
10. Explain in detail what Florence does to rid herself of Daniel's possession.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is a rich man with one wish left in life: to know if life after death exists. Why do you think he chose the Belasco house as his subject rather than some other location? What do you think led him to his choice of a physicist to lead the team rather than a paranormal expert? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
The group's members are offered $100,000 apiece to find an answer to the question of life after death. However, only Ben has experienced the true nature of Hell House, and he was left in horrible condition. Is the money worth their lives? What could possibly make them stay around after the awful way that Florence died? What could be the motivation for them to stay? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Florence and Lionel clash over the dinner table regarding his condescending treatment of her, and they briefly argue. What happens afterward, and what is the significance of this event?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)