|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel Belasco's date of birth?
2. After Florence sets a glass of water on her nightstand in Part Five, what happens?
3. What is Ben using as a tool in his excavation efforts in Part Five?
4. How does Florence feel about her behavior after she tries to seduce Ben?
5. What does Florence threaten to do to Edith when Edith is running away from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Florence's copulation with Daniel, and how does it affect her friendship with Ben?
2. Lionel and Edith have an awkward moment in the steam room, and Edith leaves hastily, slamming the door behind her. What happens to Lionel after he is abandoned in the steam room?
3. What happens to Florence after she finally gives in to Daniel's pleas?
4. What happens when Florence attacks Edith, and what secret does Florence reveal about Edith's childhood?
5. What happens forty-five minutes after Lionel starts the Reversor, and why does he tell Ben that he needs Ben's presence in the house?
6. If there was a moral to the story of Hell House, what would it be and why?
7. Ben and Lionel believe that Florence has created the ghost of Daniel Belasco. Florence vehemently denies this until she is struck with a sudden, painful memory. What is that memory, and who has she come to believe the ghost of Daniel Belasco really is?
8. What does Lionel do to keep Edith from wandering off while he is asleep? How does this make Edith feel at first? How does it make her feel later?
9. Explain in detail what Florence does to rid herself of Daniel's possession.
10. Why is Florence's sitting after finding Daniel Belasco so important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Florence so easily fooled into giving in to (what she thinks is) Daniel Belasco? What are her motivations? How does she think her self-sacrifice will save Daniel from everlasting torment in Hell House? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The spirits have not left Hell House as originally thought and, as Edith naps, Lionel is dragged into the pool and drowned by an unseen force. Edith is awakened by Lionel's voice and her wedding ring cracking in two. Is this ending too "formulaic"? Were you expecting a more creative ending? If so, what would be more appropriate? Was Edith one of the characters you expected to survive the ending? Why or why not? Cite examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Florence and Lionel clash over the dinner table regarding his condescending treatment of her, and they briefly argue. What happens afterward, and what is the significance of this event?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)