|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many parapsychology experts are going to join the physicist?
2. What do the drivers do as the cars approach Hell House?
3. What does the figure under the sheets in Part Four do when Florence speaks to it?
4. What runs beneath the concrete bridge?
5. What does Florence tell the ghost when it tries to yank the blanket out of her hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Florence believe she channels during her first session at Hell House? How does Lionel feel about Florence's thoughts?
2. How did the Belasco House come to be known as "Hell House"?
3. What happens while Florence is in the cabinet?
4. Hell House is situated at the edge of Bastard Bog. How did Bastard Bog get its name?
5. How does Florence react to the steam room and wine cellar? What seems to trigger her reactions, and what does she say will "cure" the house?
6. Florence is determined to prove that Daniel exists, despite the negative reaction from the rest of the group. What does Florence do after the poltergeist activity at the dinner table to prove once and for all that Daniel did indeed exist?
7. What element is the omnipresent representation in "Hell House"?
8. How does Florence hear Belasco's voice, even though he has been dead for so long?
9. Barrett seems unsure about whether he should accept the job offered by Deutsch. Why is he unsure, and why does he eventually agree to it?
10. Hell House is said to have reached the pinnacle of evil in 1928. What sort of events were said to occur that year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Outline the history of Hell House prior to the second group's expedition, including Bastard Bog's history. Does this history foreshadow the events that may occur at Hell House during the 1970 experiment? If so, how? Cite specific examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 2
The group's members are offered $100,000 apiece to find an answer to the question of life after death. However, only Ben has experienced the true nature of Hell House, and he was left in horrible condition. Is the money worth their lives? What could possibly make them stay around after the awful way that Florence died? What could be the motivation for them to stay? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The "odd" character in the story is Edith Barrett. She has no expertise in any pertinent field and is only accompanying the group because she fears being away from her husband. What purpose do you think Edith Barrett serves to the story?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)