|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event in Part Four makes the whole group feel better about being inside the house?
2. What is the interesting part of Hell House's reputation?
3. What word does Florence use to describe the house, even before they have an opportunity to enter?
4. What is Deutsch's full name?
5. What does William vow to do if Deutsch convinces the group to accept his offer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hell House is said to have reached the pinnacle of evil in 1928. What sort of events were said to occur that year?
2. How does Lionel specifically describe the occurrences at Hell House?
3. How does Florence react to the steam room and wine cellar? What seems to trigger her reactions, and what does she say will "cure" the house?
4. Barrett seems unsure about whether he should accept the job offered by Deutsch. Why is he unsure, and why does he eventually agree to it?
5. How did the Belasco House come to be known as "Hell House"?
6. What does Ben do during the plane ride to Hell House, and how does he feel?
7. Whom does Deutsch choose as partners for Barrett and why?
8. Why does Lionel Barrett bring his wife, Edith, with him when she has no training in parapsychology or physics?
9. Why does Florence seem to be the center of the spirits' attentions?
10. What is on the list that Edith finds, and why does it disturb her so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emeric Belasco was perceived as an evil man who did much harm in his lifetime. It seems that he is bent on doing just as much, if not more, harm after death. What is Emeric Belasco's story, and why is he thought to haunt Hell House? Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Hell House destroyed one group of analysts 30 years before, leaving only a fifteen-year-old medium as a survivor, badly scarring him physically and mentally. Benjamin Fischer is now choosing to once again enter the place that almost killed him. What do you think his motivation is for joining the group in the latest exploration of Hell House?
Essay Topic 3
Outline the history of Hell House prior to the second group's expedition, including Bastard Bog's history. Does this history foreshadow the events that may occur at Hell House during the 1970 experiment? If so, how? Cite specific examples from the text to support your theory.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)