|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edith do that causes Ben to slap her across the face?
2. What appears after the bell on the table rings?
3. What word does Florence use to describe the house, even before they have an opportunity to enter?
4. Who is the group's physical medium?
5. How wealthy was Emeric Belasco purported to be at the time of his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Florence leaves the first sitting frustrated and a bit afraid. What happens to her when she gets out of the shower?
2. Why does Lionel Barrett bring his wife, Edith, with him when she has no training in parapsychology or physics?
3. Why does Florence seem to be the center of the spirits' attentions?
4. Hell House is situated at the edge of Bastard Bog. How did Bastard Bog get its name?
5. Whom does Deutsch choose as partners for Barrett and why?
6. Florence is determined to prove that Daniel exists, despite the negative reaction from the rest of the group. What does Florence do after the poltergeist activity at the dinner table to prove once and for all that Daniel did indeed exist?
7. Barrett seems unsure about whether he should accept the job offered by Deutsch. Why is he unsure, and why does he eventually agree to it?
8. How did Ben support himself after the first experience at Hell House? Why did he follow this particular path?
9. Why was Hell House closed for thirty years, and how was it re-opened?
10. Hell House is said to have reached the pinnacle of evil in 1928. What sort of events were said to occur that year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Florence so easily fooled into giving in to (what she thinks is) Daniel Belasco? What are her motivations? How does she think her self-sacrifice will save Daniel from everlasting torment in Hell House? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The physicist, Lionel Barrett, is to be accompanied by a spiritualist and a medium. Why do you think he is disappointed with the selection? Whom would he rather have as associates in this situation? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is a rich man with one wish left in life: to know if life after death exists. Why do you think he chose the Belasco house as his subject rather than some other location? What do you think led him to his choice of a physicist to lead the team rather than a paranormal expert? Cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)