|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Florence tells the figure under the sheets that she isn't interested in jokes?
2. How old was Fischer when he became familiar with Hell House?
3. What color is Florence's hair?
4. During Lionel's tests on Florence, what happens when the temperature drops?
5. What hovers above the water beneath the bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Deutsch ask Dr. Lionel Barrett to stay in Hell House?
2. What is on the list that Edith finds, and why does it disturb her so much?
3. How did the Belasco House come to be known as "Hell House"?
4. How does Lionel specifically describe the occurrences at Hell House?
5. How does Florence hear Belasco's voice, even though he has been dead for so long?
6. Why does Lionel Barrett bring his wife, Edith, with him when she has no training in parapsychology or physics?
7. Florence leaves the first sitting frustrated and a bit afraid. What happens to her when she gets out of the shower?
8. Why is Florence unable to enter the chapel in Hell House?
9. Why was Hell House closed for thirty years, and how was it re-opened?
10. Who does Florence believe she channels during her first session at Hell House? How does Lionel feel about Florence's thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how and where Edith and Ben find Emeric Belasco and how they finally overcome him. What was his secret protection? Why do you think his reign finally ended? Did Belasco bring it upon himself or was it "fate"? What role did Edith play? What role did Ben play? Be specific and cite examples from the text to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
Outline the history of Hell House prior to the second group's expedition, including Bastard Bog's history. Does this history foreshadow the events that may occur at Hell House during the 1970 experiment? If so, how? Cite specific examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
Reverend Florence Tanner is the spiritualist in the group. Upon the initial exploration of Hell House, she is unable to enter the chapel, which should be a place of peace and serenity. Why is Florence repelled by the chapel? What other place in the house makes her feel the same way? Why do you think she fears these rooms? What significance does this have later in the story? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)