|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What room does the group begin working on the morning after Florence's attack?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The steam room.
(c) The wine cellar.
(d) The pool area.
2. What does Ben say has changed about the house after they run the Reversor?
(a) The vibration.
(b) The atmosphere.
(c) The smell.
(d) The feel.
3. In what room is the Reversor located?
(a) The great hall.
(b) The steam room.
(c) The chapel.
(d) The wine cellar.
4. How does Lionel feel about Deutsch and the fact that Deutsch will never know the truth about life after death?
5. What does the group discover behind the wall in the wine cellar?
(a) An unknown body.
(b) The body of Emeric Belasco.
(c) The body of Daniel Belasco.
(d) The body of Emeric Belasco's first wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lionel makes his phone call, what surprising information does he receive about Deustch?
2. What object does Florence use to focus her trance on Daniel?
3. How much did Lionel's machine cost to build?
4. What phenomenon does Edith see as she lies awake in Chapter 48?
5. After Florence's attack, Lionel goes to sleep. What does Edith do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ben's reaction to Lionel's accusation that Deutsch is wasting one-third of his money?
2. On what does Lionel blame Edith's overtly sexual behavior toward Ben?
3. To whom does Ben compare Florence's belief that Daniel haunts Hell House, and what happened to that person?
4. Ben finally begins to agree with Florence about the entity haunting Hell House. Who does Florence think it is, and what do they believe is the spirit's purpose for haunting?
5. What is the result of Florence's copulation with Daniel, and how does it affect her friendship with Ben?
6. If there was a moral to the story of Hell House, what would it be and why?
7. Ben and Lionel believe that Florence has created the ghost of Daniel Belasco. Florence vehemently denies this until she is struck with a sudden, painful memory. What is that memory, and who has she come to believe the ghost of Daniel Belasco really is?
8. Lionel's concern for the health of Florence and Ben leads him to call Deutsch's man for medical help, preferably an ambulance. What does Lionel learn during that call?
9. What are the words Florence repeats over the body of Daniel Belasco at his funeral, and what is their purpose?
10. What happens forty-five minutes after Lionel starts the Reversor, and why does he tell Ben that he needs Ben's presence in the house?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)