|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lionel tell Hell House when he finds out the surprising news about Deustch in Part Six?
(a) It won't win.
(b) It has won.
(c) It is dead.
(d) It will die.
2. What did Florence's brother, David, die from?
(a) Traffic accident.
(b) Spinal meningitis.
3. What does Barrett call the sound of Edith brushing her teeth and splashing the water as she washes her face?
(a) Symphonie Aquafer.
(b) Symphonie Domestique.
(c) Symphony of Life.
(d) Symphony Brusillia.
4. How much did Lionel's machine cost to build?
(a) Two hundred thousand dollars.
(b) Half a million dollars.
(c) More than a million dollars.
(d) More than seventy thousand dollars.
5. When Lionel makes his phone call, what surprising information does he receive about Deustch?
(a) He is penniless.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He doesn't really exist.
(d) He has disappeared.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben say about Daniel to Florence while she is praying for Daniel's release?
2. Florence claims that she was attacked by whom/what at the beginning of Chapter 30?
3. What does Florence threaten to do to Edith when Edith is running away from her?
4. How does Ben feel as he thinks about Hell House while driving away?
5. In Chapter 36, what does Ben tell Florence she should do after her latest attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Ben compare Florence's belief that Daniel haunts Hell House, and what happened to that person?
2. On what does Lionel blame Edith's overtly sexual behavior toward Ben?
3. From what does Lionel say that ecotoplasm derives, and from what does he say it is?
4. Describe Daniel Belasco's exhumation and reburial.
5. What happens forty-five minutes after Lionel starts the Reversor, and why does he tell Ben that he needs Ben's presence in the house?
6. What does Daniel tell Florence that Lionel's machine will do? What does he tell her he needs in order to leave?
7. Ben and Lionel believe that Florence has created the ghost of Daniel Belasco. Florence vehemently denies this until she is struck with a sudden, painful memory. What is that memory, and who has she come to believe the ghost of Daniel Belasco really is?
8. If there was a moral to the story of Hell House, what would it be and why?
9. What is the operating premise of the Reversor?
10. Why is Florence's sitting after finding Daniel Belasco so important?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)