|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lionel call his machine?
(a) The Reversor.
(b) The Regulator.
(c) The Spiritor.
(d) The Revivor.
2. What does Florence pray for in Part Five?
(a) Peace for Edith.
(c) Strength to resist Daniel's pleas.
(d) Help to enable Daniel to leave the house.
3. What happened to Grace Lauter, who came to the house to free the spirits of what she thought were two sisters?
(a) She was killed when she fell down the stairs.
(b) She drowned herself.
(c) She cut her own throat.
(d) She disappeared.
4. What does Florence say she needs to let her body become as she tries to help Daniel?
(a) A fortress.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A temple.
(d) A conduit.
5. What happens to the wall in the wine cellar when Ben removes the item he has uncovered?
(a) It collapses.
(b) It rocks back and forth.
(c) It slides to the right.
(d) It doesn't move.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Lionel works on his machine, how long does Florence pray for Daniel's release?
2. What happens to Lionel's manuscript after he dies?
3. In Chapter 36, what does Ben tell Florence she should do after her latest attack?
4. What does Florence insist that the group must do the morning after her attack in Chapter 30?
5. What is Daniel's middle name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lionel's concern for the health of Florence and Ben leads him to call Deutsch's man for medical help, preferably an ambulance. What does Lionel learn during that call?
2. To whom does Ben compare Florence's belief that Daniel haunts Hell House, and what happened to that person?
3. Ben finally begins to agree with Florence about the entity haunting Hell House. Who does Florence think it is, and what do they believe is the spirit's purpose for haunting?
4. From what does Lionel say that ecotoplasm derives, and from what does he say it is?
5. How does Lionel behave after his attack in the steam room, and how does he rationalize the experience?
6. What happens to Florence after she finally gives in to Daniel's pleas?
7. What is the result of Florence's copulation with Daniel, and how does it affect her friendship with Ben?
8. What happens when Florence attacks Edith, and what secret does Florence reveal about Edith's childhood?
9. Explain in detail what Florence does to rid herself of Daniel's possession.
10. What does Daniel make Florence do after he forces her to wet the bed? How does Florence regain some control?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)