|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Florence and Ben find after going down a set of stairs when they first start exploring the house together?
(a) A makeshift laboratory.
(b) An Olympic-sized swimming pool.
(c) A torture chamber.
(d) An oubliette.
2. Who is the author of "Hell House"?
(a) Richard Simmons.
(b) Robert Matheson.
(c) Richard Matheson.
(d) Diane Rockner.
3. What does Florence tell the ghost when it tries to yank the blanket out of her hand?
(a) That she's had enough.
(b) That the ghost needs to reveal its name.
(c) That it needs to show itself.
(d) That she wants to talk.
4. What does Edith notice on the table when Florence departs for her walk?
(a) Edith's purse.
(b) A long list of observed phenomena.
(c) A strangely shaped instrument.
(d) A dark shadow.
5. How is the fog described when the group first approaches the house?
(a) A churning sea of cotton.
(b) A blinding blanket of white.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) A sea of curdled milk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lionel attach to Florence's feet during his experiment testing her authenticity?
2. What hovers above the water beneath the bridge?
3. What is the name of the group's spiritualist?
4. Where does Florence feel that she has found Daniel Belasco?
5. Who is the ghostly figure in blue pajamas that Ben sees heading out the front door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Florence seem to be the center of the spirits' attentions?
2. What does Ben do during the plane ride to Hell House, and how does he feel?
3. What is the first paranormal sign seen? Who sees it? What does Barrett attribute it to?
4. Who does Florence believe she channels during her first session at Hell House? How does Lionel feel about Florence's thoughts?
5. In what condition was Ben found after his first experience at Hell House?
6. Florence is determined to prove that Daniel exists, despite the negative reaction from the rest of the group. What does Florence do after the poltergeist activity at the dinner table to prove once and for all that Daniel did indeed exist?
7. Whom does Deutsch choose as partners for Barrett and why?
8. How does Florence hear Belasco's voice, even though he has been dead for so long?
9. Why was Hell House closed for thirty years, and how was it re-opened?
10. How did the Belasco House come to be known as "Hell House"?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)