|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city do the caretakers live?
(a) Midnight Falls.
(b) Caribou Falls.
2. What is the name of the place where Florence Tanner works?
(a) Church of a Thousand Souls.
(b) Haven for the Empty Hearted.
(c) The Rock.
(d) Temple of Spiritual Harmony.
3. What is the first room Ben and Florence investigate after leaving Edith and Lionel to start the fire?
(a) The garage.
(b) The attic.
(c) The steam room.
(d) The wine cellar.
4. As the car drives toward Hell House, in what is it enveloped?
(a) A blue mist.
(b) A dense forest.
(c) A cloud of insects.
(d) A green mist.
5. What are the first things Edith notices on her first approach to Hell House?
(a) The beauty of the architecture and the desperate landscaping.
(b) The oozing earth and ugly statuary.
(c) The smell of the dark spaces and the dankness everywhere.
(d) The cold and the smell.
6. What does the figure under the sheets in Part Four do when Florence speaks to it?
(b) It erupts in evil laughter.
(c) It flies at her.
(d) It says, "Boo!"
7. What is another name for Hell House?
(a) Belasco house.
(b) Dante's house.
(c) The Hellmouth.
(d) Deacon's Brothel.
8. Whom does Florence invite for a walk in Chapter 11?
(d) No one.
9. What is the physicist's name?
(a) Dr. Edith Barrett.
(b) Dr. Florence Tanner.
(c) Dr. Lionel Barrett.
(d) Dr. Benjamin Fischer.
10. What is Florence Tanner's purpose in going to Hell House?
(a) To cleanse it.
(b) To perform an exorcism.
(c) To burn it down.
(d) To make it into a sanctuary for her parishoners.
11. What event occurs in Lionel and Edith's bedroom that Lionel attributes to kinetics?
(a) A figure appears and then disappears.
(b) A window slams shut.
(c) The mirror turns black.
(d) A breeze blows out the candle.
12. What happens when Ben offers Edith his sweater?
(a) She takes the drink from his hand and swallows it.
(b) She yells at him and hits him.
(c) She takes the sweater and puts it on.
(d) She begins to take her clothes off.
13. What was Florence Taylor's previous profession?
(a) Social Worker.
(d) Lounge Singer.
14. What appears after the bell on the table rings?
(a) A small, indefinable ball of light.
(b) The face of a devil.
(c) A figure reaching for Edith.
(d) A screaming, writhing apparition.
15. In which valley is Hell House located?
(a) Stinging Gorge.
(c) Big Rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Emeric Belasco described?
2. What causes the cat to rush out of Florence's room?
3. What does Lionel call the appearance during Florence's trance?
4. What does William vow to do if Deutsch convinces the group to accept his offer?
5. Which room in Hell House disturbs Florence the most?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)