|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the drivers do as the cars approach Hell House?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Switch cars because one is more difficult to maneuver on the hill.
(c) Get out and tell the group that they will have to continue on their own.
(d) Begin to pray loudly.
2. Why are there no windows in Hell House?
(a) Belasco bricked them up.
(b) To save on energy.
(c) To keep intruders from breaking in.
(d) To save on window taxes.
3. Why did Florence never marry?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
(b) She didn't believe in marriage.
(c) She never met a man she wanted to marry.
(d) She liked playing the field.
4. What does Lionel put on the table in front of Florence?
(a) A length of rope.
(b) Tambourine and small guitar.
(c) A tea bell.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
5. What does Ben find written on a piece of cardboard in the kitchen?
(a) An unsigned suicide note.
(b) An ancient menu.
(c) A quickly scrawled admonition to get out of the house.
(d) An "X" with a circle around it.
6. In which valley is Hell House located?
(a) Stinging Gorge.
(b) Big Rock.
7. What appears after the bell on the table rings?
(a) A screaming, writhing apparition.
(b) A figure reaching for Edith.
(c) The face of a devil.
(d) A small, indefinable ball of light.
8. What do Florence and Ben find after going down a set of stairs when they first start exploring the house together?
(a) A makeshift laboratory.
(b) A torture chamber.
(c) An oubliette.
(d) An Olympic-sized swimming pool.
9. What did the owner of Hell House create there?
(a) A private hell.
(b) A public cemetary.
(c) An architectural masterpiece.
(d) An amusement park.
10. How long was Lionel away from Edith in 1962?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Ten days.
11. What does Lionel place in Florence's lap during his testing?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bible.
(c) A crucifix.
(d) A glass bowl.
12. Which room in Hell House disturbs Florence the most?
(a) The chapel.
(b) The sunroom.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The theater.
13. What does Deutsch intend to pay Barrett to do?
(a) Find out if Hell House sits on a fault line.
(b) Prove whether or not there is life after death.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) Create a machine to keep him alive forever.
14. What is the size of the dining table?
(a) Forty feet.
(b) Thirty feet.
(c) Twenty feet.
(d) Ten feet.
15. What is another name for Hell House?
(a) Deacon's Brothel.
(b) The Hellmouth.
(c) Belasco house.
(d) Dante's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Barrett given to complete his assignment?
2. What color is Florence's hair?
3. What does Barrett make his wife promise?
4. What event occurs in Lionel and Edith's bedroom that Lionel attributes to kinetics?
5. In Lionel Barrett's article, to what does he compare sensitives?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)