|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Heidi to join in and not just be a visitor?
2. Who arrives and begins to make fun of Heidi's and Debbie's protest?
3. Why is Peter irritated with Heidi in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. What do Heidi and her new friend she meets at the high school dance do?
5. What is Heidi's friend's reason for attending the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Peter share with Heidi after she pushes him to find a girlfriend? Why is he frustrated?
2. What reason does Scoop give for marrying Lisa rather than Heidi?
3. What is the background of Lisa, Scoop's new wife?
4. What are the societal expectations at the high school dance in the mid-1960's?
5. What does Scoop possess that Heidi wishes she had more of? What does she question?
6. What is one personality characteristic that Scoop sees in Heidi and how does he feel about this characteristic?
7. Describe Heidi's personality.
8. What is Heidi doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What is the purpose of this Prologue to Act 1?
10. Heidi discloses information about herself when mentioning her high school dance. What is that piece of information?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the play, Scoop claims to be inspired by Heidi. Why does he feel inspired? Do you think his feeling of inspiration is genuine or will he revert back to his old habits?
Essay Topic 2
Heidi decides to stay in New York after visiting Peter in the AIDS ward. Heidi has many relationships throughout the play in terms of both male and female friends. What are the "not so obvious" aspects of her relationship with Peter that would cause Heidi to leave a fiance in Europe, but stay in New York after Peter breaks down? What were Peter's reasons for wanting her to stay? Do you feel it was selfish of him to stand in her way? Do you think Heidi was being selfish as well?
Essay Topic 3
Heidi is invited to speak to her high school alumni association at a luncheon. Heidi decides to provide intimate details of her own struggles with the feminist journey. What is the story she shares? Why does she choose to share her personal story? What does she hope to gain by sharing details? How do you think she feels when she is talking and reflecting on her point of view? If you were in the audience, what would your thoughts be?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)