|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Scoop give Heidi for not marrying her?
2. What is Heidi's class reviewing for?
3. Three years after the high school dance, who is Heidi campaigning for?
4. What does Heidi invite Peter and his friend to do in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is Heidi's friend's reason for attending the dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Heidi discloses information about herself when mentioning her high school dance. What is that piece of information?
2. What is the topic of conversation between Heidi and Scoop once Peter and Lisa head off to dance?
3. What is Becky's story in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Heidi has one primary belief that seems to carry her throughout the play, including Act 1, Scene 3. What is this belief?
5. Why does Heidi's old friend Peter show up at the protest?
6. What are the societal expectations at the high school dance in the mid-1960's?
7. Why is Heidi resentful of Peter?
8. What is Heidi doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Scoop Rosenbaum takes a sweeping view of Heidi's personality characteristics. Overall, what are Scoop's feelings towards Heidi? What does he admire?
10. What has Susan decided to do in Act, Scene 3 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heidi decides to stay in New York after visiting Peter in the AIDS ward. Heidi has many relationships throughout the play in terms of both male and female friends. What are the "not so obvious" aspects of her relationship with Peter that would cause Heidi to leave a fiance in Europe, but stay in New York after Peter breaks down? What were Peter's reasons for wanting her to stay? Do you feel it was selfish of him to stand in her way? Do you think Heidi was being selfish as well?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Scoop claims to be inspired by Heidi. Why does he feel inspired? Do you think his feeling of inspiration is genuine or will he revert back to his old habits?
Essay Topic 3
Heidi goes on living her life, keeping in touch with her friends. When she goes to Chicago to protest, she doesn't set up a time to visit with Peter. Why is Peter insulted that Heidi doesn't look him up while she's in Chicago? Does Heidi feel the same way about him as he does about her? How does Peter exhibit stereotypical male behavior in Chicago toward Heidi? If so, what behaviors? Is this a surprise? Why or why not?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)