|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What location does Act 1, Scene 4 open in?
2. What song is playing when Act 1, Scene 3 ends?
3. What is Heidi's high school friend doing in Chicago in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. Why is Peter irritated with Heidi in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is one characteristic that would describe Heidi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Scoop Rosenbaum takes a sweeping view of Heidi's personality characteristics. Overall, what are Scoop's feelings towards Heidi? What does he admire?
2. When Fran invites Heidi to share, what does Heidi do?
3. How does Heidi react to Susan's instructions?
4. Why is Heidi resentful of Peter?
5. What is one of Scoop's most unusual personality characteristics?
6. What is the purpose of this Prologue to Act 1?
7. What is the background of Lisa, Scoop's new wife?
8. Heidi criticizes the painting of Lily Martin Spencer for a particular reason. What is that reason?
9. What is the significance of "Ladies Choice" at the dance?
10. Describe at least two of the women who are present at the consciousness-raising discussion in the church basement.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What initially attracts Peter and Heidi to each other and why do they carry on their life-long friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Peter tells Heidi that he is gay. What does Heidi struggle with when Peter tells he that he is gay? Do you, as the reader, think that Heidi might have suspected? What clues, if any, are provided in the play up to that point that might have given away Peter's sexual orientation? In this scene, with this news, does Heidi exhibit stereotypical female behavior? If so, what behavior(s)?
Essay Topic 3
What are the similarities and differences between Lisa and Heidi?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)