|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Peter complains in Act 1, Scene 4, that he doesn't see Heidi often, what reason does she give?
2. What year does Act 1, Scene 5 open in?
3. What is Lisa's occupation in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. In Act I, Scene 2, what are Heidi's feelings toward women?
5. What is Heidi attending when the play resumes in Act I, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Heidi resentful of Peter?
2. What is the background of Lisa, Scoop's new wife?
3. Why do you think Heidi decides to leave with Scoop at the end of the evening in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Heidi criticizes the painting of Lily Martin Spencer for a particular reason. What is that reason?
5. What is one personality characteristic that Scoop sees in Heidi and how does he feel about this characteristic?
6. Heidi has one primary belief that seems to carry her throughout the play, including Act 1, Scene 3. What is this belief?
7. Describe at least two of the women who are present at the consciousness-raising discussion in the church basement.
8. How does Heidi approach the group at the women's consciousness rap group in the church basement?
9. What does Scoop possess that Heidi wishes she had more of? What does she question?
10. What is the topic of conversation between Heidi and Scoop once Peter and Lisa head off to dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heidi goes on living her life, keeping in touch with her friends. When she goes to Chicago to protest, she doesn't set up a time to visit with Peter. Why is Peter insulted that Heidi doesn't look him up while she's in Chicago? Does Heidi feel the same way about him as he does about her? How does Peter exhibit stereotypical male behavior in Chicago toward Heidi? If so, what behaviors? Is this a surprise? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Scoop is unable to make a serious commitment to anything, until the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Heidi is invited to speak to her high school alumni association at a luncheon. Heidi decides to provide intimate details of her own struggles with the feminist journey. What is the story she shares? Why does she choose to share her personal story? What does she hope to gain by sharing details? How do you think she feels when she is talking and reflecting on her point of view? If you were in the audience, what would your thoughts be?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)