|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heidi teach?
2. What does Scoop do that is somewhat unusual?
3. What is one thing that Heidi does at the high school dance that might be considered unusual, considering where she was?
4. What song is the dance for "Ladies' Choice?"
5. What does Scoop insist on calling Heidi at his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Becky's story in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. By reading the Prologue, what facts do we learn about Heidi and the play in general?
3. What does Lisa do to save face at her wedding reception?
4. What is Heidi doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Susan gives Heidi very specific instructions on behavior at the dance. What instructions does Susan give Heidi?
6. Why does Heidi's old friend Peter show up at the protest?
7. What is the background of Lisa, Scoop's new wife?
8. Heidi criticizes the painting of Lily Martin Spencer for a particular reason. What is that reason?
9. What are the societal expectations at the high school dance in the mid-1960's?
10. Describe the subject Heidi discusses in her class in 1989.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Scoop is unable to make a serious commitment to anything, until the end of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Heidi is invited to speak to her high school alumni association at a luncheon. Heidi decides to provide intimate details of her own struggles with the feminist journey. What is the story she shares? Why does she choose to share her personal story? What does she hope to gain by sharing details? How do you think she feels when she is talking and reflecting on her point of view? If you were in the audience, what would your thoughts be?
Essay Topic 3
Heidi goes on living her life, keeping in touch with her friends. When she goes to Chicago to protest, she doesn't set up a time to visit with Peter. Why is Peter insulted that Heidi doesn't look him up while she's in Chicago? Does Heidi feel the same way about him as he does about her? How does Peter exhibit stereotypical male behavior in Chicago toward Heidi? If so, what behaviors? Is this a surprise? Why or why not?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)