|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scoop project that Heidi wishes she had more of?
2. Who does Heidi defend in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. What is the focus of the group of women meeting in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is Heidi's friend's reason for attending the dance?
5. What song is playing in the background when Heidi and her friend arrive at the high school dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Peter share with Heidi after she pushes him to find a girlfriend? Why is he frustrated?
2. How does Heidi react to Susan's instructions?
3. What is Heidi doing at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Heidi's old friend Peter show up at the protest?
5. Scoop Rosenbaum takes a sweeping view of Heidi's personality characteristics. Overall, what are Scoop's feelings towards Heidi? What does he admire?
6. Heidi discloses information about herself when mentioning her high school dance. What is that piece of information?
7. Why is Heidi resentful of Peter?
8. Describe Heidi's personality.
9. How do Heidi and Peter meet?
10. Heidi has one primary belief that seems to carry her throughout the play, including Act 1, Scene 3. What is this belief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What point do you think the author is trying to make regarding the word "feminism?"
Essay Topic 2
Heidi decides to stay in New York after visiting Peter in the AIDS ward. Heidi has many relationships throughout the play in terms of both male and female friends. What are the "not so obvious" aspects of her relationship with Peter that would cause Heidi to leave a fiance in Europe, but stay in New York after Peter breaks down? What were Peter's reasons for wanting her to stay? Do you feel it was selfish of him to stand in her way? Do you think Heidi was being selfish as well?
Essay Topic 3
Who does Heidi attribute Scoop's arrogance to? Why? Why would she single out a specific sex as encouraging this arrogance/confidence?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)