|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Peter irritated with Heidi in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. What is Heidi attending when the play resumes in Act I, Scene 2?
3. Why does Heidi initially choose not to share her struggle with the women's group in the church basement?
4. What does Scoop do at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Why is Heidi annoyed with Peter in Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Susan's reason for being at the high school dance in 1965.
2. What is Becky's story in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What news does Peter share with Heidi after she pushes him to find a girlfriend? Why is he frustrated?
4. By reading the Prologue, what facts do we learn about Heidi and the play in general?
5. Heidi discloses information about herself when mentioning her high school dance. What is that piece of information?
6. Describe the subject Heidi discusses in her class in 1989.
7. What is Heidi and her friend Debbie protesting in 1974?
8. What is the topic of conversation between Heidi and Scoop once Peter and Lisa head off to dance?
9. What reason does Scoop give for marrying Lisa rather than Heidi?
10. What has Susan decided to do in Act, Scene 3 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heidi is invited to speak to her high school alumni association at a luncheon. Heidi decides to provide intimate details of her own struggles with the feminist journey. What is the story she shares? Why does she choose to share her personal story? What does she hope to gain by sharing details? How do you think she feels when she is talking and reflecting on her point of view? If you were in the audience, what would your thoughts be?
Essay Topic 2
What initially attracts Heidi to Scoop and what keeps their relationship going throughout the years, no matter what form it takes?
Essay Topic 3
Heidi decides to stay in New York after visiting Peter in the AIDS ward. Heidi has many relationships throughout the play in terms of both male and female friends. What are the "not so obvious" aspects of her relationship with Peter that would cause Heidi to leave a fiance in Europe, but stay in New York after Peter breaks down? What were Peter's reasons for wanting her to stay? Do you feel it was selfish of him to stand in her way? Do you think Heidi was being selfish as well?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)