|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dave go to find Robin?
2. What will the person receive from the government?
3. What happens when Dave is walking around his property one evening?
4. What does Dave believe?
5. What does Dave learn about Keats from Dautrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
2. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
3. What does Victor Romero attempt?
4. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
5. What does Dave do with this new information he gains from Dautrieve about Keats?
6. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
7. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
8. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
9. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
10. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting characters contribute a great deal to the success of most novels. Discuss one of the following using specific examples from the text in your discussion:
1. Dave is singly the most important and most visible character of all the characters. Discuss Dave's most prominent character strengths and flaws and how they impact the other characters in the novel.
2. Define the term "character foil" and discuss which characters serve as a "foil" to Dave's character. How do they do so? Why do they do so? How does having a foil to a character help define and make that character more complex? How does it do so in Dave's case?
3. Discuss four secondary characters. What are their flaws and strengths? How do they contribute or detract from Dave's efforts at a normal, quiet life? What is Dave's opinion of each of the four characters? Does he like them? Tolerate them? Admire or despise them? Use specific examples from the text in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)