|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what do Dave and Annie continue to argue?
2. Who goes fishing with Dave?
3. What is found later that Dave goes to investigate?
4. What do Claudette and Annie do when they meet?
5. What does Claudette say about her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
2. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
3. Describe Victor Romero.
4. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
5. What does Victor Romero attempt?
6. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
7. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
8. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
9. Describe Claudette Rocque.
10. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It becomes increasingly obvious that Dave is willing to sacrifice his simple and enjoyable life in order to become involved with the ugly side of life in Louisiana and to set things aright, as he sees it. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze the process of Dave becoming involved, then retreating, then becoming involved, then retreating, etc., and why you think he vacillates so much.
2. Discuss the aspects of Dave's personality that makes it very difficult for him to forget the plane crash.
3. If Dave had stayed away from the plane crash investigation, it is likely Annie would still be alive. How do you think this knowledge impacts Dave? Use specific examples from the story to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
Essay Topic 3
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)