Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cecil come to regard Dave?
2. With whom does Dave become lovers?
3. What do Dave and the police do?
4. Who is sitting on Dave's porch a few days later?
5. What does Dave start doing?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)