|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Alafair?
2. What does Dave learn about Keats from Dautrieve?
3. What does Romero tell Dave as Romero is dying?
4. What does Dave learn about Claudette from Dautrieve?
5. Who does Dave call later in the evening after talking with Dautrieve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
2. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
3. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
4. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
5. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
6. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
7. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
8. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
9. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
10. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and life as a young man with his father provide interesting parallels to his current situation. He recalls events because they were morally equivalent to his current situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave's life as a young man with his father and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. What symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as a grown man than when he was young? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
2. Trace and analyze Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. Why symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as an older man than when he was a young man? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
3. Do you think Burke would have used as many flashbacks in this book had this book not been part of a series? How much do the flashbacks shown in this book affect the current storyline? Do readers need the information presented in the flashbacks to understand the storyline ongoing in the present? Would there be any other way to understand Dave's complex personality without flashbacks? Justify your answers with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
Essay Topic 3
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)