|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dave's best area as a cop?
2. What does Dave do when Keats comes into the bar?
3. What does Dave do?
4. How is Dave in the week after Annie is buried?
5. What occurs in New Iberia a few days after Annie and Dave meet Claudette?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
2. Describe Victor Romero.
3. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
4. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
5. What does Dave do with this new information he gains from Dautrieve about Keats?
6. What does Victor Romero attempt?
7. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
8. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
9. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
10. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, after Dave is beaten rather severely and spends the night in the hospital, he talks with the local sheriff. During the interview with the local sheriff, Dave quickly concludes that the sheriff has no intention of doing anything. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think the sheriff seems uninterested in following up on a person being beaten? Do you think this is common law enforcement practice? Do you think if the sheriff had taken action and arrested Eddie Keats, Dave would not have taken punishment into his own hands and not sparked off a chain of violence? Does violence beget violence in other works and in a sense is Dave partly responsible for Annie's death and perhaps even the sheriff who declines to take the first act of violence seriously.
2. It seems many people in the "real" world expect a lot of police officers when it comes to protecting them and their property, but when it comes to enforcing laws that the people themselves break, they think the police are unfair to too zealous. (for example, the way many people respond to a ticket for a driving violation). Is this fair to the police officers? Is it just human nature to respond when "caught"? Discuss fully using examples from the book and your own experiences.
3. Trace and analyze the actions of enforcement officers, both local police and the INS and DEA agents. Are they all ethical? Humane? Competent? What are their motives for police work? Use specific examples to illustrate your statements.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)