|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudette want of Dave?
2. Why does Dave go to New Orleans?
3. Who is Cecil Aguillard?
4. Why is the visitor there?
5. Who is described as dim-witted?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
This section contains 2,890 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)