|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave conclude about Bubba?
2. Upon whom does Dave call?
3. How is Annie killed?
4. Who is just arriving at Dave's house one day as he drives up?
5. What does Dautrieve ask Dave when Dautrieve calls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
2. Describe Claudette Rocque.
3. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
4. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
5. What does Victor Romero attempt?
6. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
7. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
8. Describe Victor Romero.
9. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
10. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)