|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Dave be heard when he starts yelling?
2. Who arrives after Annie is killed?
3. What do Dave and the police do?
4. What does Dave realize about Romero?
5. Who is described as dim-witted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
2. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
3. Describe Claudette Rocque.
4. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
5. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
6. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
7. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
8. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
9. What does Dave do with this new information he gains from Dautrieve about Keats?
10. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Annie wants Dave to live a life resigned of all involvement in the shady side of life. She wants him to remain sober and entirely detached from any police-type involvement--and she is very verbal and increasingly forceful about her desires in this regard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave and Annie's relationship. Is it stable? Loving? What causes the problems in the relationship when there are problems?
2. Do you think it is fair of Annie to ask Dave to stay out of the situation that revolves around the plane crash? Does she expect him to be someone he is not?
3. Annie meets Dave after he has already resigned from the police force in New Orleans; therefore, she marries a man who is not engaged in police operations. Do you think she would have married Dave had he still been a police officer?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
Essay Topic 3
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)