|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dave and Annie meet with Claudette?
2. What is found later that Dave goes to investigate?
3. Why does Romero call Dave?
4. Why is the sheriff angry with Dave?
5. What is Dave's best area as a cop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Interesting characters contribute a great deal to the success of most novels. Discuss one of the following using specific examples from the text in your discussion:
1. Dave is singly the most important and most visible character of all the characters. Discuss Dave's most prominent character strengths and flaws and how they impact the other characters in the novel.
2. Define the term "character foil" and discuss which characters serve as a "foil" to Dave's character. How do they do so? Why do they do so? How does having a foil to a character help define and make that character more complex? How does it do so in Dave's case?
3. Discuss four secondary characters. What are their flaws and strengths? How do they contribute or detract from Dave's efforts at a normal, quiet life? What is Dave's opinion of each of the four characters? Does he like them? Tolerate them? Admire or despise them? Use specific examples from the text in your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, after Dave is beaten rather severely and spends the night in the hospital, he talks with the local sheriff. During the interview with the local sheriff, Dave quickly concludes that the sheriff has no intention of doing anything. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think the sheriff seems uninterested in following up on a person being beaten? Do you think this is common law enforcement practice? Do you think if the sheriff had taken action and arrested Eddie Keats, Dave would not have taken punishment into his own hands and not sparked off a chain of violence? Does violence beget violence in other works and in a sense is Dave partly responsible for Annie's death and perhaps even the sheriff who declines to take the first act of violence seriously.
2. It seems many people in the "real" world expect a lot of police officers when it comes to protecting them and their property, but when it comes to enforcing laws that the people themselves break, they think the police are unfair to too zealous. (for example, the way many people respond to a ticket for a driving violation). Is this fair to the police officers? Is it just human nature to respond when "caught"? Discuss fully using examples from the book and your own experiences.
3. Trace and analyze the actions of enforcement officers, both local police and the INS and DEA agents. Are they all ethical? Humane? Competent? What are their motives for police work? Use specific examples to illustrate your statements.
This section contains 2,920 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)