|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the visitor there?
2. What does Dave ask of Annie?
3. What will the person receive from the government?
4. What does Claudette want of Dave?
5. What does Jerry tell Dave about Romero?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
2. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
3. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
4. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
5. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
6. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
7. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
8. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
9. Why is Dave's new boss angry and what does the boss do as a consequence?
10. Describe Claudette Rocque.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Alafair's story is brutally graphic and presented at some length, but has no involvement with the remainder of the plot. Discuss the following:
1. Briefly summarize what Alafair tells Dave and Annie through and interpreter. Does her story sound authentic? Why do you think Burke goes into Alafair's story to great detail but it really is not relevant to the rest of the book? Is he setting her up to become a regular character in future novels? Why or why not?
2. Do you think a six-year-old is cognizant enough to offer a brutal and graphic description of her former life? If so, is she capable of understanding what she is relating? What emotional repercussions do you think Alafair will suffer from the time in her previous country?
3. Do you think Dave should keep Alafair after Annie's death? Does he have the emotional capability to give Alafair what she needs--after all, Alafair has suffered much emotional trauma in her few short years and may need professional help and a stable home. Can Dave provide both?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of HEAVEN'S PRISONERS?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Discuss where the various elements of plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) with specific details.
5. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)