|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave learn about Claudette from Dautrieve?
2. Why does Dave call Dautrieve?
3. What does Dave ask of Annie?
4. Who is the man Dave goes to investigate?
5. How many laundry facilities does Dave eliminate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
2. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
3. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
4. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
5. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
6. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
7. Describe Victor Romero.
8. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
9. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
10. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave rescues a little girl from the submerged plane and after taking her to a hospital for a checkup where they say she is their daughter they take her home and decide to keep her. Discuss the following:
1. How likely is it that in the "real" world a couple could get away with taking home a "stray" child and just deciding to keep her?
2. Do you think Dave and Annie are doing the right thing in keeping the girl (who they name Alafair)? Why or why not?
3. Is it ethical to keep a child when she could have blood relatives who might be concerned about her and would want to keep her as part of the family?
4. How will Dave and Annie produce the necessary documentation for school attendance and other legalities? Do you think Dave will forge the necessary documents and how could Dave justify breaking the law given that he was a police officer and returns to police work during the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and life as a young man with his father provide interesting parallels to his current situation. He recalls events because they were morally equivalent to his current situation. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave's life as a young man with his father and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. What symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as a grown man than when he was young? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
2. Trace and analyze Dave's various flashbacks to Vietnam and how those memories are related to the plot of this story. Why symbols/metaphors are common to both? What of Dave's feelings are common to both? Does Dave react differently as an older man than when he was a young man? How? If not, would you say he has not learned from his life experiences?
3. Do you think Burke would have used as many flashbacks in this book had this book not been part of a series? How much do the flashbacks shown in this book affect the current storyline? Do readers need the information presented in the flashbacks to understand the storyline ongoing in the present? Would there be any other way to understand Dave's complex personality without flashbacks? Justify your answers with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,385 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)