|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the person receive from the government?
2. What does Dave conclude about Bubba?
3. Who is the man Dave goes to investigate?
4. Where do Dave and Annie meet with Claudette?
5. What call does Dave get to investigate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
2. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
3. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
4. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
5. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
6. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
7. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
8. Describe Claudette Rocque.
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heaven's Prisoners is considered a crime/murder mystery, a sub-genre of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Define genre and then specifically crime/murder mystery.
2. What do you think is the difference between a suspense novel and a murder mystery?
3. Many in the world of academe do not see mystery as a serious genre, that its primary purpose is entertainment and not "worthy" of being studied by serious students of literature? Respond to that idea.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of James Lee Burke.
2. What in Burke's background may have helped Burke in writing HEAVEN'S PRISONERS? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Dave begins working as a deputy for the Layfayette Parish Sheriff's Department. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think Dave goes back to police work? Are we told why Dave quit police work with the New Orleans police department? Why?
2. What personality traits of Dave's might make him a good police officer? What would make him a ineffective or less-than-desirable police officer? Which in balancing the two seems to be stronger--his ability to be a good or not-so-great cop? Explain your rationale.
3. Why do you think the Sheriff of Layfaette Parish hires Dave when Dave is obviously drunk when he applies for the position? Is this a responsible thing to do on the Sheriff's part? Do you think the sheriff understands why Dave wants the position?
4. What motivates Dave to quit his job as a police officer at the end of the story? Is this a good decision on his part? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)