|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in New Iberia a few days after Annie and Dave meet Claudette?
2. What does Dave see when he is wandering around outside?
3. How is Annie killed?
4. What bothers Dave a great deal about his job?
5. What does Dave do to the escape vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
2. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
3. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
4. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
5. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
6. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
7. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
8. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
9. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
10. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of James Lee Burke.
2. What in Burke's background may have helped Burke in writing HEAVEN'S PRISONERS? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)