|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dave see when he is wandering around outside?
2. What will the person receive from the government?
3. What occurs in New Iberia a few days after Annie and Dave meet Claudette?
4. Who is sitting on Dave's porch a few days later?
5. What does Claudette say about her car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
2. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
3. Describe Victor Romero.
4. Why is Dave's new boss angry and what does the boss do as a consequence?
5. Describe Claudette Rocque.
6. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
7. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
8. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
9. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
10. What does Dave ask Annie to do and how does she respond both to his request and her meeting Claudette?/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of HEAVEN'S PRISONERS?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Discuss where the various elements of plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) with specific details.
5. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of James Lee Burke.
2. What in Burke's background may have helped Burke in writing HEAVEN'S PRISONERS? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)