|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Dave a great deal about his job?
2. Where do Dave and Annie meet with Claudette?
3. What does Dave contemplate?
4. Why is Dave angry with Robin?
5. What does Dave do to the escape vehicle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
2. Describe Victor Romero.
3. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
4. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
5. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
6. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
7. Why is Dave's new boss angry and what does the boss do as a consequence?
8. Describe Claudette Rocque.
9. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
10. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Dave takes the law into his own hands when he decides to beat up Keats and then when he goes after Romero, one of his wife's murderers. Discuss the following:
1. When (or if) is it justified to mete out your own justice to someone who has wronged you or a loved one and broken the law in doing so?
2. What do you think it says about Dave's beliefs about the criminal justice system that he is his own judge and executioner?
3. Do you think Dave's beliefs about the justice system could influence his work as a police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)