|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Annie killed?
2. What happens to Alafair?
3. What does Monroe offer to Dave?
4. What does Dave learn about Keats from Dautrieve?
5. Upon whom does Dave call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Victor Romero.
2. What does Dave do with this new information he gains from Dautrieve about Keats?
3. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
4. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
5. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
6. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
7. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
8. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
9. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
10. Describe Claudette Rocque.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
Essay Topic 2
It becomes increasingly obvious that Dave is willing to sacrifice his simple and enjoyable life in order to become involved with the ugly side of life in Louisiana and to set things aright, as he sees it. Discuss the following:
1. Analyze the process of Dave becoming involved, then retreating, then becoming involved, then retreating, etc., and why you think he vacillates so much.
2. Discuss the aspects of Dave's personality that makes it very difficult for him to forget the plane crash.
3. If Dave had stayed away from the plane crash investigation, it is likely Annie would still be alive. How do you think this knowledge impacts Dave? Use specific examples from the story to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 3
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)