|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many laundry facilities does Dave eliminate?
2. What does Dave do?
3. Who goes fishing with Dave?
4. Who is just arriving at Dave's house one day as he drives up?
5. What is Cecil's ethnic background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Victor Romero attempt?
2. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
3. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
4. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
5. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
6. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
7. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
8. Describe Claudette Rocque.
9. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
10. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interesting characters contribute a great deal to the success of most novels. Discuss one of the following using specific examples from the text in your discussion:
1. Dave is singly the most important and most visible character of all the characters. Discuss Dave's most prominent character strengths and flaws and how they impact the other characters in the novel.
2. Define the term "character foil" and discuss which characters serve as a "foil" to Dave's character. How do they do so? Why do they do so? How does having a foil to a character help define and make that character more complex? How does it do so in Dave's case?
3. Discuss four secondary characters. What are their flaws and strengths? How do they contribute or detract from Dave's efforts at a normal, quiet life? What is Dave's opinion of each of the four characters? Does he like them? Tolerate them? Admire or despise them? Use specific examples from the text in your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss. Be sure to include specific examples to illustrate the theme you are discussing. How do specific characters help illustrate the theme? Would this novel be different without the theme? How? Is the theme one that could be considered universal? Why or why not :
1. Trace and analyze the theme of violence.
2. Trace and analyze the theme of murder.
3. Trace and analyze the theme of betrayal.
This section contains 1,179 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)