|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes fishing with Dave?
2. What does Dave believe about the INS?
3. Why does Dave call Dautrieve?
4. What is found later that Dave goes to investigate?
5. How does Cecil come to regard Dave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
2. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
3. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
4. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
5. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
6. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
7. Describe Claudette Rocque.
8. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
9. Describe Victor Romero.
10. Why is Dave's new boss angry and what does the boss do as a consequence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
Essay Topic 2
Annie wants Dave to live a life resigned of all involvement in the shady side of life. She wants him to remain sober and entirely detached from any police-type involvement--and she is very verbal and increasingly forceful about her desires in this regard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave and Annie's relationship. Is it stable? Loving? What causes the problems in the relationship when there are problems?
2. Do you think it is fair of Annie to ask Dave to stay out of the situation that revolves around the plane crash? Does she expect him to be someone he is not?
3. Annie meets Dave after he has already resigned from the police force in New Orleans; therefore, she marries a man who is not engaged in police operations. Do you think she would have married Dave had he still been a police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)