|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Dave later that night after Claudette?
2. What call does Dave get to investigate?
3. What is Cecil's ethnic background?
4. What does Claudette say about her car?
5. What does Dave realize about Romero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
2. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
3. What does Romero tell Dave when he calls Dave and what is Dave's reaction?
4. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
5. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
6. Why is Robin waiting for Dave one evening and what happens?
7. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
8. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
9. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
10. What is the government offering Romero and why is Dave informed of the fact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
Essay Topic 2
Dave succumbs to his inner demons and engages on a prolonged bout of serious drinking. Throughout this period he spends many nights passed out in the bayou and many days drinking in a bar. Discuss one of the following:
1. What is an alcoholic? Do you think Dave is an alcoholic? What indications are there that Dave is or is not an alcoholic? What about Robin? Is she an alcoholic? How does she stop drinking? Do you think it will last?
2. What do most alcoholics do to quit drinking? Is Dave doing any of those things? Should he? Do you think it will be effective given his state of mind?
3. There is something called an "alcoholic personality," which some people have characteristics of even if they are not drinking. These people are called dry drunks. Research this concept and analyze Dave's personality in light of those characteristics. Do you think Dave is a dry drunk (Before Annie is killed)? Do the parts of his personality that contribute to his involvement and violent behavior fit that of a dry drunk?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)