|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is just arriving at Dave's house one day as he drives up?
2. What bothers Dave a great deal about his job?
3. What does Bubba believe about Dave?
4. Why does Dave fire up through the ceiling?
5. With whom does Dave become lovers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that Dave is able to start his new job?
2. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
3. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
4. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
5. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
6. Who does Dave go to see after Annie is buried and what happens?
7. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
8. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
9. Why is Dave's new boss angry and what does the boss do as a consequence?
10. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Burke chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss James Lee Burke's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Burke use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Dave continues his job but begins to drown in unwanted paperwork. He is good street cop but the administrative side of the job is definitely not his strong point. Discuss the following:
1. What does Dave have to do administratively that is so consuming and onerous for him? What aspects of his personality make this paperwork so difficult for him to deal with?
2. Do you think there should be some way for men and women who are really good beat cops but lousy on paperwork to have assistance with the paperwork aspect of the job? Why or why not?
3. What could be some advantages in filling out paperwork? Disadvantages?
4. Is there too much paperwork in general in the American culture? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The plot of a mystery/detective novel is part of what makes the book successful or not. Discuss the following:
1. What is the basic plot of HEAVEN'S PRISONERS?
2. How successful is the author at making the plot believable?
3. How successful is the author at expressing the plot with believable characters and action?
4. Discuss where the various elements of plot occur (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) with specific details.
5. Do you think most mystery/detective novels have the same basic plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)