|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Cecil Aguillard?
2. Who goes fishing with Dave?
3. What does Dave do when Keats comes into the bar?
4. What does Dave learn about Keats from Dautrieve?
5. What does Jerry tell Dave about Romero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
2. What does Dave find when he searches Romero's apartment?
3. Describe the night of Annie's murder.
4. Describe Claudette Rocque.
5. Describe the confrontation between Dave and Romero.
6. How does Dave ferret information out of Jerry?
7. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
8. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
9. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
10. What does Dave decide about Bubba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 10, Romero calls Dave and says that he has cut a deal with Federal agents, except that Dave's refusal to come on board has stalled the process. Romero says that Dave must help him with the plea bargain or pay the consequences. Discuss the following:
1. What consequences do you think Romero has in mind?
2. Do you think it is wise and/or ethical for the government to cut a deal with Romero when he is threatening to commit another crime (i.e. the murder of Dave and/or a loved one of Dave's)?
3. Are plea bargains ethical in general? Fair? Necessary? What alternatives are there to plea bargains?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, after Dave is beaten rather severely and spends the night in the hospital, he talks with the local sheriff. During the interview with the local sheriff, Dave quickly concludes that the sheriff has no intention of doing anything. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think the sheriff seems uninterested in following up on a person being beaten? Do you think this is common law enforcement practice? Do you think if the sheriff had taken action and arrested Eddie Keats, Dave would not have taken punishment into his own hands and not sparked off a chain of violence? Does violence beget violence in other works and in a sense is Dave partly responsible for Annie's death and perhaps even the sheriff who declines to take the first act of violence seriously.
2. It seems many people in the "real" world expect a lot of police officers when it comes to protecting them and their property, but when it comes to enforcing laws that the people themselves break, they think the police are unfair to too zealous. (for example, the way many people respond to a ticket for a driving violation). Is this fair to the police officers? Is it just human nature to respond when "caught"? Discuss fully using examples from the book and your own experiences.
3. Trace and analyze the actions of enforcement officers, both local police and the INS and DEA agents. Are they all ethical? Humane? Competent? What are their motives for police work? Use specific examples to illustrate your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Claudette murders her husband, Bubba, in a seemingly cold, calculated way. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the relationship between Bubba and Claudette. Why do you think the two marry initially? What goes wrong in their relationship?
2. How do you think Claudette is able to murder someone with whom she has lived and been involved with sexually? Do you think Bubba brings the murder on partly because of his abuse of Claudette?
3. Does Bubba get what he deserves? Should Claudette receive the death penalty? Do you think she could use the battered wife syndrome as a defense? (You may need to research that term).
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)