|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cecil come to regard Dave?
2. Who is Cecil Aguillard?
3. Why does Dave fire up through the ceiling?
4. Why is Dave angry with Robin?
5. Who is described as dim-witted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Victor Romero.
2. What murder scene does Dave investigate?
3. When Dave calls Dautrieve, what does Dave learn?
4. Why does Dautrieve question Dave about dead men turning up?
5. What happens with Dave's visit to Monroe?
6. What is the consequence of Claudette's visit?
7. Why does Claudette come to Dave's home and what does she do?
8. What is the ongoing argument between Annie and Dave and what does Dave try to do to please Annie about the issue?
9. What does Victor Romero attempt?
10. What does Dautrieve warn Dave about and what is Dave's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most fiction, readers would like all the loose ends to be neatly "tied up." Discuss the following:
1. Do you think HEAVEN'S PRISONERS is successful as a detective novel? Why or why not.
2. What about this book would motivate you to read another of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux series? What would discourage you from doing so?
3. Were all the "loose ends" satisfactorily settled for you? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Annie wants Dave to live a life resigned of all involvement in the shady side of life. She wants him to remain sober and entirely detached from any police-type involvement--and she is very verbal and increasingly forceful about her desires in this regard. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze Dave and Annie's relationship. Is it stable? Loving? What causes the problems in the relationship when there are problems?
2. Do you think it is fair of Annie to ask Dave to stay out of the situation that revolves around the plane crash? Does she expect him to be someone he is not?
3. Annie meets Dave after he has already resigned from the police force in New Orleans; therefore, she marries a man who is not engaged in police operations. Do you think she would have married Dave had he still been a police officer?
Essay Topic 3
Dave Robicheaux is the main character in a number of mystery novels by James Lee Burke. One of the most interesting things about Robicheaux is his Cajun background. It is therefore, useful to understand a little of Cajun culture. Discuss the following:
1. Who are the Cajuns? In what area of the United States do they reside? Who are several famous "real-life" Cajuns?
2. Describe some of the major aspects of the Cajun culture.
3. What about Dave Robicheaux reveals his Cajun heritage?
4. Why do you think James Lee Burke chooses to make his primary protagonist Cajun?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)