|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Colton contradict Sonja?
2. Todd had a picture of Pop when Pop was what age?
3. One evening, the mother and children were praying together as a family. Sonja suggested that they pray for whom?
4. With whom were the children sent to live?
5. How were they able to use the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had heaven become a normal part of Colton's life?
2. What reservations did the Burpos family have for writing a book?
3. For what did Sonja ask the children to pray? Why might she do this?
4. Where did Colton sit in heaven? What might this say about God?
5. How did Colton make an impact on Ali Titus?
6. How had Colton's experience in heaven made him more of a risk-taker? Is this good or bad? Why?
7. Why did Colton not recognize Pop? Why did he later recognize him? What might this say about heaven?
8. Why did the Burpos begin to view children differently?
9. Why might the family have decided to go public with the story?
10. Why did Colton say his father's dying friend did not have to worry? Would you be calmed by this? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Todd gives an incomplete confession.
Part 1) What does Todd Confess? Why does he make this confession? How is it an incomplete confession? Why does he leave this information out? What does this say about him?
Part 2) When does Todd finally confess fully what happened to his son and to his family? Why does he finally make this confession? How do others react to it? How does this affect the Burpo family?
Part 3) How does Todd's reluctance to confess reveal his doubt? How is he like Doubting Thomas? How do you compare to Doubting Thomas and Todd? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Colton grows sick again.
Part 1) Why has Colton become sick again after the surgery? What do his family and doctor decide to do? How does this lead to more complications? How does this affect the mood of the book?
Part 2) How do others react to Colton's second bout of illness? What connection might this have to his getting better? How is his quick healing so surprising? What do you believe might be the explanation for his getting better so quickly?
Part 3) Do you believe that there is more to healing than the use of medicine? How much of one's ability to heal is due to one's body's abilities? How much is due to one's mental state? How much is due to prayer to various gods? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Colton chooses to not hold Rosie the Spider but later changes his mind.
Part 1) How does Colton get the chance to hold Rosie the Spider? Why does he, at first, choose not to hold her? What does this reveal about him? Why does he later change his mind and decide to hold her? What does this also reveal about him?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this story about Rosie? Is it simply to tell the events leading up to Colton's appendicitis and visions of heaven, or does it serve some other purpose?
Part 3) When have you looked past your fears and acted brave? What led to this bravery? How were you changed by this bravery?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)