|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Colton know about his parents, while he was in surgery?
2. As his son was taken away, Todd felt as if he was going to lose it, and he had to do what?
3. When the doctor came in, what did he order?
4. In March of 2003, the family was planning a celebratory trip to _____________, Colorado.
5. Why did they call ahead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
2. How was life difficult after the surgery?
3. What did the Burpos refuse to stop paying? Why do they do this?
4. What sign did the technician give that made the Burpos believe something was seriously wrong with Colton?
5. What challenges occurred prior to the ordering of a CT scan?
6. How was Todd's mastectomy a miracle? Do you agree that this is a miracle? Why or why not?
7. Who was stronger in this situation, Todd or Sonja? Why?
8. How was Colton's recovery miraculous? Do you believe the prayers helped? Why or why not?
9. How was this trip to Greeley supposed to be celebratory?
10. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On January 28, 2007, the family goes public with their story.
Part 1) Why does the family choose to go public with this story? Why does it take them so long to choose to go public? How might the publicizing of this story affect the family?
Part 2) What might the family be like now, several years after the book was published? What might they have to say about Colton's story and this book? Use the book to support your response.
Part 3) How can being in the public eye be both good and bad? What should one do to stay healthy and happy when constantly being in the public eye?
Essay Topic 2
Before being diagnosed with appendicitis, Colton is misdiagnosed.
Part 1) How is Colton's appendicitis first diagnosed? How is it misdiagnosed again? What leads to the wrong diagnoses? How do they affect Colton and his family? How different would this story be if Colton's appendicitis had been diagnosed correctly the first time?
Part 2) If given the chance, would the Burpo family go back and change the events of this story so that Colton was diagnosed correctly the first time? Why or why not?
Part 3) When you have suffered from set-backs, illness, or challenges that led to positive outcomes, would you have to change the past so those challenges never occurred? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Todd rages at God.
Part 1) When does Todd rage at God? Why does he rage at God? To what does this raging lead? What does this reveal about Todd and about God?
Part 2) How does Sonja act as Todd is raging at God? What does this reveal about her? Who is the stronger of the two, Sonja or Todd? Why?
Part 3) How might you have reacted if you were in their position? Why do you believe you would have acted like this?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)