|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A radiologist told them that their son had what?
2. A CT scan showed what?
3. What did Colton need immediately?
4. When the doctor came in, what did he order?
5. Why was it decided that Colton should go to the emergency room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Colton react after surgery? Why?
2. What was significant about Colton's response that he was in heaven for three minutes?
3. What made taking a CT scan challenging? What wa the technician's suggestion? Was this good? Why or why not?
4. What sign did the technician give that made the Burpos believe something was seriously wrong with Colton?
5. What might Todd mean by the shadow of death?
6. Who was stronger in this situation, Todd or Sonja? Why?
7. What had happened on the last Burpo family vacation in March? How was this affecting their preparations for their current trip?
8. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
9. How was Colton's response regarding paying the doctor significant?
10. What are the diagnoses given for Colton's illness? How could these pose a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Four months after the surgery, the family realizes something is unusual about Colton.
Part 1) What do they realize is unusual about him? How do they discover this? Why had they not noticed before?
Part 2) What might have been possible, logical explanations for his experiences? Is it possible that all of this took place in Colton's mind? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might be the reason for Colton's experience, when others have either died on the operating table momentarily and lived, yet did not experience anything remotely similar to what Colton experienced?
Essay Topic 2
Colton panics at a funeral.
Part 1) Describe Colton's behavior at a funeral after his trip to heaven. Why might he act this way? What does this say about God and heaven?
Part 2) How might this part of the book affect a non-believer? Why? How does it affect your beliefs about heaven and who goes to heaven?
Part 3) What other details of Colton's story tell what one must do to get to heaven? What does this say about those of other faiths? Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Todd rages at God.
Part 1) When does Todd rage at God? Why does he rage at God? To what does this raging lead? What does this reveal about Todd and about God?
Part 2) How does Sonja act as Todd is raging at God? What does this reveal about her? Who is the stronger of the two, Sonja or Todd? Why?
Part 3) How might you have reacted if you were in their position? Why do you believe you would have acted like this?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)