|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wore different colored sashes?
2. When they arrived, they discovered what?
3. A radiologist told them that their son had what?
4. A CT scan showed what?
5. On Wednesday, the parents told the staff at the hospital that they were going to take Colton where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
2. How are the markers on Jesus' hands and feet significant?
3. What might Todd mean by the shadow of death?
4. How was Todd's mastectomy a miracle? Do you agree that this is a miracle? Why or why not?
5. What had happened on the last Burpo family vacation in March? How was this affecting their preparations for their current trip?
6. What made taking a CT scan challenging? What wa the technician's suggestion? Was this good? Why or why not?
7. What sign did the technician give that made the Burpos believe something was seriously wrong with Colton?
8. Who was stronger in this situation, Todd or Sonja? Why?
9. Why did Colton yell for his father? How is this important?
10. What complications occurred after the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Todd rages at God.
Part 1) When does Todd rage at God? Why does he rage at God? To what does this raging lead? What does this reveal about Todd and about God?
Part 2) How does Sonja act as Todd is raging at God? What does this reveal about her? Who is the stronger of the two, Sonja or Todd? Why?
Part 3) How might you have reacted if you were in their position? Why do you believe you would have acted like this?
Essay Topic 2
Todd gives an incomplete confession.
Part 1) What does Todd Confess? Why does he make this confession? How is it an incomplete confession? Why does he leave this information out? What does this say about him?
Part 2) When does Todd finally confess fully what happened to his son and to his family? Why does he finally make this confession? How do others react to it? How does this affect the Burpo family?
Part 3) How does Todd's reluctance to confess reveal his doubt? How is he like Doubting Thomas? How do you compare to Doubting Thomas and Todd? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Four months after the surgery, the family realizes something is unusual about Colton.
Part 1) What do they realize is unusual about him? How do they discover this? Why had they not noticed before?
Part 2) What might have been possible, logical explanations for his experiences? Is it possible that all of this took place in Colton's mind? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might be the reason for Colton's experience, when others have either died on the operating table momentarily and lived, yet did not experience anything remotely similar to what Colton experienced?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)