|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Todd feel towards God at this point?
2. The doctor showed them what he had done in surgery, and he taught them how to do what?
3. Who wore different colored sashes?
4. Back at the church, over ___________ people gathered together to pray for the family.
5. Why was it decided that Colton should go to the emergency room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What challenges occurred prior to the ordering of a CT scan?
2. How is the story about Rosie the Spider significant?
3. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
4. How was Colton's recovery miraculous? Do you believe the prayers helped? Why or why not?
5. What surprising information was learned at Arby's? Why was this surprising?
6. What are the diagnoses given for Colton's illness? How could these pose a problem?
7. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
8. What had happened on the last Burpo family vacation in March? How was this affecting their preparations for their current trip?
9. What made taking a CT scan challenging? What wa the technician's suggestion? Was this good? Why or why not?
10. How did the Burpos realize something unusual has happened to their son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Between Todd's medical problems and Colton's near death, the family's finances are depleted.
Part 1) How have these events depleted their finances? How do they deal with this debt? Why do they deal with it in this way? What does this reveal about them and about Colton?
Part 2) What is surprising about the way in which they are able to pay their bills? How might this have happened? Is it merely good luck, or is there a higher being involved? Why do you believe this? Use information from the book to support your response.
Part 3) What miracles have you witnessed in your own life? How have you explained these miracles? How have these miracles affected your own life? How were the Burpos affected by the miracles in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Colton chooses to not hold Rosie the Spider but later changes his mind.
Part 1) How does Colton get the chance to hold Rosie the Spider? Why does he, at first, choose not to hold her? What does this reveal about him? Why does he later change his mind and decide to hold her? What does this also reveal about him?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this story about Rosie? Is it simply to tell the events leading up to Colton's appendicitis and visions of heaven, or does it serve some other purpose?
Part 3) When have you looked past your fears and acted brave? What led to this bravery? How were you changed by this bravery?
Essay Topic 3
Four months after the surgery, the family realizes something is unusual about Colton.
Part 1) What do they realize is unusual about him? How do they discover this? Why had they not noticed before?
Part 2) What might have been possible, logical explanations for his experiences? Is it possible that all of this took place in Colton's mind? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might be the reason for Colton's experience, when others have either died on the operating table momentarily and lived, yet did not experience anything remotely similar to what Colton experienced?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)