|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why could Todd not understand how Colton could have gone to heaven?
2. What did Colton say everyone, but Jesus, had in heaven?
3. How had Todd broken his leg?
4. _____________ before they went to the Butterfly Pavilion, Colton had a stomachache.
5. When they arrived, they discovered what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the diagnoses given for Colton's illness? How could these pose a problem?
2. What is the significance of Colton's reaction to his favorite action figure?
3. How did Colton react after surgery? Why?
4. How are the markers on Jesus' hands and feet significant?
5. What was significant about the donations that came in?
6. How was this trip to Greeley supposed to be celebratory?
7. Who was stronger in this situation, Todd or Sonja? Why?
8. What might Todd mean by the shadow of death?
9. Why did Colton yell for his father? How is this important?
10. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Todd sees the shadow of death in Colton's room.
Part 1) What is the shadow of death? Why does Todd see it? How is this significant? What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) How does this vision of the shadow of death make Colton's story even more amazing?
Part 3) What other details of this story make Colton's trip to heaven and back more shocking, yet believable?
Essay Topic 2
On January 28, 2007, the family goes public with their story.
Part 1) Why does the family choose to go public with this story? Why does it take them so long to choose to go public? How might the publicizing of this story affect the family?
Part 2) What might the family be like now, several years after the book was published? What might they have to say about Colton's story and this book? Use the book to support your response.
Part 3) How can being in the public eye be both good and bad? What should one do to stay healthy and happy when constantly being in the public eye?
Essay Topic 3
The trip in March was to be celebratory.
Part 1) Why was the trip supposed to be celebratory? What had happened to the Burpo family prior to this trip? How had their faith and strength been tested? What did these previous challenges reveal about the Burpo family?
Part 2) How did the trip change? Why did it change? How did the various family members react to these changes? What do these reactions reveal about them?
Part 3) How, in the end, did this trip in March lead to celebration? When have you suffered and later realized it had led you to positive changes in your life and/or in the lives of others?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)