|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In March of 2003, the family was planning a celebratory trip to _____________, Colorado.
2. Who wore different colored sashes?
3. Colton was unusually quiet and he complained that his tummy hurt. Why did they think this was because he ate something that did not agree with him?
4. Todd went to a conference of ____________ and felt the need to confess.
5. The surgeons performed another surgery, and the parents were concerned about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a broken leg severely affect the family's finances?
2. What was one common word used by both Colton and Akiane to describe Jesus? Why?
3. How did Colton react at the funerals? Why?
4. How was this trip to Greeley supposed to be celebratory?
5. What made taking a CT scan challenging? What wa the technician's suggestion? Was this good? Why or why not?
6. Whywas Colton's comment about Pop important?
7. Who was next to God in heaven? How does this support the Bible?
8. Why did the Burpos wait so long to tell their story?
9. What did Colton know about his father becoming a pastor? Why is this important?
10. What information did Colton give about his sister who his mother had miscarried? How do his parents react? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Four months after the surgery, the family realizes something is unusual about Colton.
Part 1) What do they realize is unusual about him? How do they discover this? Why had they not noticed before?
Part 2) What might have been possible, logical explanations for his experiences? Is it possible that all of this took place in Colton's mind? Why or why not?
Part 3) What might be the reason for Colton's experience, when others have either died on the operating table momentarily and lived, yet did not experience anything remotely similar to what Colton experienced?
Essay Topic 2
Heaven is filled with children.
Part 1) Describe this child-filled heaven. Why might heaven be filled with children? How does the author prove that Colton's story about heaven is true? What information does he provide to back this claim that heaven is filled with children?
Part 2) How does this new information about heaven affect the Burpo family? How does their view of children change? How might this book change others views of children?
Part 3) What do you see as the importance of children? What role do they play in society? How can adults learn from them?
Essay Topic 3
Before being diagnosed with appendicitis, Colton is misdiagnosed.
Part 1) How is Colton's appendicitis first diagnosed? How is it misdiagnosed again? What leads to the wrong diagnoses? How do they affect Colton and his family? How different would this story be if Colton's appendicitis had been diagnosed correctly the first time?
Part 2) If given the chance, would the Burpo family go back and change the events of this story so that Colton was diagnosed correctly the first time? Why or why not?
Part 3) When you have suffered from set-backs, illness, or challenges that led to positive outcomes, would you have to change the past so those challenges never occurred? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,820 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)