|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Colton wasn't quite brave enough to hold who, but Cassie was?
2. Who is the Burpo family traveling to visit at the beginning of the book?
3. Colton told them about the angels singing to him. Why did they sing to him?
4. What did Colton say everyone, but Jesus, had in heaven?
5. In March of 2003, the family was planning a celebratory trip to _____________, Colorado.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
2. How did Colton react at the funerals? Why?
3. What might Todd mean by the shadow of death?
4. What challenges occurred prior to the ordering of a CT scan?
5. How was Colton's recovery miraculous? Do you believe the prayers helped? Why or why not?
6. Why did Colton yell for his father? How is this important?
7. Why did the flu or food poisoning seem to be likely causes for Colton's illness?
8. What had happened on the last Burpo family vacation in March? How was this affecting their preparations for their current trip?
9. Colton said he did homework in heaven. What kind of homework might this have been? Why?
10. What did the Burpos refuse to stop paying? Why do they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On January 28, 2007, the family goes public with their story.
Part 1) Why does the family choose to go public with this story? Why does it take them so long to choose to go public? How might the publicizing of this story affect the family?
Part 2) What might the family be like now, several years after the book was published? What might they have to say about Colton's story and this book? Use the book to support your response.
Part 3) How can being in the public eye be both good and bad? What should one do to stay healthy and happy when constantly being in the public eye?
Essay Topic 2
Colton's stories match up with Biblical texts.
Part 1) Describe the details that Colton gives that support Biblical texts. How is this information important?
Part 2) In what other ways might Colton have known about Biblical history, prior to his trip to heaven? Could this knowledge have played a role in his vision of heaven? Why or why not?
Part 3) If the Bible is an accurate description of God and what He asks of us, how must the world change to suit His desires? How must you change? Why? How do you feel about this? Why do you feel this way?
Essay Topic 3
Heaven is filled with children.
Part 1) Describe this child-filled heaven. Why might heaven be filled with children? How does the author prove that Colton's story about heaven is true? What information does he provide to back this claim that heaven is filled with children?
Part 2) How does this new information about heaven affect the Burpo family? How does their view of children change? How might this book change others views of children?
Part 3) What do you see as the importance of children? What role do they play in society? How can adults learn from them?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)