Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Todd find Sonja?
2. On that Fourth of July weekend trip, the now four-year-old boy not only told them that _____________________ while they were operating.
3. Todd went to a conference of ____________ and felt the need to confess.
4. What was Colton doing?
5. It was easy to blame who for not recognizing how severe the problem had been?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Colton give about his sister who his mother had miscarried? How do his parents react? Why?
2. What was one common word used by both Colton and Akiane to describe Jesus? Why?
3. What challenges occurred prior to the ordering of a CT scan?
4. How is the story about Rosie the Spider significant?
5. What complications occurred after the surgery?
6. What are the diagnoses given for Colton's illness? How could these pose a problem?
7. What made taking a CT scan challenging? What wa the technician's suggestion? Was this good? Why or why not?
8. How was Todd's mastectomy a miracle? Do you agree that this is a miracle? Why or why not?
9. How did the Burpos realize something unusual has happened to their son?
10. What is the "What does Jesus look like?" game? Why do they play it?
Between Todd's medical problems and Colton's near death, the family's finances are depleted.
Part 1) How have these events depleted their finances? How do they deal with this debt? Why do they deal with it in this way? What does this reveal about them and about Colton?
Part 2) What is surprising about the way in which they are able to pay their bills? How might this have happened? Is it merely good luck, or is there a higher being involved? Why do you believe this? Use information from the book to support your response.
Part 3) What miracles have you witnessed in your own life? How have you explained these miracles? How have these miracles affected your own life? How were the Burpos affected by the miracles in their lives?
Colton grows sick again.
Part 1) Why has Colton become sick again after the surgery? What do his family and doctor decide to do? How does this lead to more complications? How does this affect the mood of the book?
Part 2) How do others react to Colton's second bout of illness? What connection might this have to his getting better? How is his quick healing so surprising? What do you believe might be the explanation for his getting better so quickly?
Part 3) Do you believe that there is more to healing than the use of medicine? How much of one's ability to heal is due to one's body's abilities? How much is due to one's mental state? How much is due to prayer to various gods? Explain your answers.
Before being diagnosed with appendicitis, Colton is misdiagnosed.
Part 1) How is Colton's appendicitis first diagnosed? How is it misdiagnosed again? What leads to the wrong diagnoses? How do they affect Colton and his family? How different would this story be if Colton's appendicitis had been diagnosed correctly the first time?
Part 2) If given the chance, would the Burpo family go back and change the events of this story so that Colton was diagnosed correctly the first time? Why or why not?
Part 3) When you have suffered from set-backs, illness, or challenges that led to positive outcomes, would you have to change the past so those challenges never occurred? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)