|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On Wednesday, the parents told the staff at the hospital that they were going to take Colton where?
2. In March of 2003, the family was planning a celebratory trip to _____________, Colorado.
3. Besides being a pastor, what other job did Todd have?
4. How did Todd feel towards God at this point?
5. _____________ before they went to the Butterfly Pavilion, Colton had a stomachache.
Short Essay Questions
1. How was this trip to Greeley supposed to be celebratory?
2. What was significant about Colton's response that he was in heaven for three minutes?
3. How did the Burpos realize something unusual has happened to their son?
4. What complications occurred after the surgery?
5. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
6. Why did Todd rage at God? Should he have done this? Why or why not?
7. What had happened on the last Burpo family vacation in March? How was this affecting their preparations for their current trip?
8. What surprising information was learned at Arby's? Why was this surprising?
9. How did a broken leg severely affect the family's finances?
10. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colton panics at a funeral.
Part 1) Describe Colton's behavior at a funeral after his trip to heaven. Why might he act this way? What does this say about God and heaven?
Part 2) How might this part of the book affect a non-believer? Why? How does it affect your beliefs about heaven and who goes to heaven?
Part 3) What other details of Colton's story tell what one must do to get to heaven? What does this say about those of other faiths? Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The trip in March was to be celebratory.
Part 1) Why was the trip supposed to be celebratory? What had happened to the Burpo family prior to this trip? How had their faith and strength been tested? What did these previous challenges reveal about the Burpo family?
Part 2) How did the trip change? Why did it change? How did the various family members react to these changes? What do these reactions reveal about them?
Part 3) How, in the end, did this trip in March lead to celebration? When have you suffered and later realized it had led you to positive changes in your life and/or in the lives of others?
Essay Topic 3
Colton claims he sees the power of the Holy Spirit.
Part 1) What is the Holy Spirit? How does Colton describe the Holy Spirit? What is its role while Colton is in heaven? How does this compare to your previous understanding of the Holy Spirit?
Part 2) When does Colton see the power of the Holy Spirit? How is this significant? What does this say about Colton, post-trip to heaven?
Part 3) Do you believe that Colton actually saw the power of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not? In what other ways can one see God's power, or the power of nature?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)