|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Todd was bothered that he had done what?
2. Colton also insisted that they pay the doctor. Why?
3. How did Todd feel about seeing this in his not yet four-year-old son's room?
4. As a pastor, he has seen it numerous times before as he stayed with families who were with a relative who was what?
5. Who is the Burpo family traveling to visit at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Colton's reaction to his favorite action figure?
2. How is the story about Rosie the Spider significant?
3. Colton said he did homework in heaven. What kind of homework might this have been? Why?
4. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
5. How was Colton's recovery miraculous? Do you believe the prayers helped? Why or why not?
6. How did Colton react after surgery? Why?
7. How was Todd's mastectomy a miracle? Do you agree that this is a miracle? Why or why not?
8. What surprising information was learned at Arby's? Why was this surprising?
9. How did Colton react at the funerals? Why?
10. What complications occurred after the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Todd sees the shadow of death in Colton's room.
Part 1) What is the shadow of death? Why does Todd see it? How is this significant? What does this foreshadow?
Part 2) How does this vision of the shadow of death make Colton's story even more amazing?
Part 3) What other details of this story make Colton's trip to heaven and back more shocking, yet believable?
Essay Topic 2
Todd rages at God.
Part 1) When does Todd rage at God? Why does he rage at God? To what does this raging lead? What does this reveal about Todd and about God?
Part 2) How does Sonja act as Todd is raging at God? What does this reveal about her? Who is the stronger of the two, Sonja or Todd? Why?
Part 3) How might you have reacted if you were in their position? Why do you believe you would have acted like this?
Essay Topic 3
Between Todd's medical problems and Colton's near death, the family's finances are depleted.
Part 1) How have these events depleted their finances? How do they deal with this debt? Why do they deal with it in this way? What does this reveal about them and about Colton?
Part 2) What is surprising about the way in which they are able to pay their bills? How might this have happened? Is it merely good luck, or is there a higher being involved? Why do you believe this? Use information from the book to support your response.
Part 3) What miracles have you witnessed in your own life? How have you explained these miracles? How have these miracles affected your own life? How were the Burpos affected by the miracles in their lives?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)