|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Colton said that Jesus was the only one in heaven with what?
2. The parents left their son how?
3. Colton also said that Jesus had a __________ horse.
4. Where were the markers located?
5. Colton was unusually quiet and he complained that his tummy hurt. Why did they think this was because he ate something that did not agree with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was life difficult after the surgery?
2. How is the story about Rosie the Spider significant?
3. What surprising information was learned at Arby's? Why was this surprising?
4. How was the burst appendix a dire situation? Could this have been prevented? Why or why not?
5. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
6. Why did Todd rage at God? Should he have done this? Why or why not?
7. Why did Colton yell for his father? How is this important?
8. What sign did the technician give that made the Burpos believe something was seriously wrong with Colton?
9. How was Todd's mastectomy a miracle? Do you agree that this is a miracle? Why or why not?
10. What might Todd mean by the shadow of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colton chooses to not hold Rosie the Spider but later changes his mind.
Part 1) How does Colton get the chance to hold Rosie the Spider? Why does he, at first, choose not to hold her? What does this reveal about him? Why does he later change his mind and decide to hold her? What does this also reveal about him?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this story about Rosie? Is it simply to tell the events leading up to Colton's appendicitis and visions of heaven, or does it serve some other purpose?
Part 3) When have you looked past your fears and acted brave? What led to this bravery? How were you changed by this bravery?
Essay Topic 2
Todd gives an incomplete confession.
Part 1) What does Todd Confess? Why does he make this confession? How is it an incomplete confession? Why does he leave this information out? What does this say about him?
Part 2) When does Todd finally confess fully what happened to his son and to his family? Why does he finally make this confession? How do others react to it? How does this affect the Burpo family?
Part 3) How does Todd's reluctance to confess reveal his doubt? How is he like Doubting Thomas? How do you compare to Doubting Thomas and Todd? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Colton claims he sees the power of the Holy Spirit.
Part 1) What is the Holy Spirit? How does Colton describe the Holy Spirit? What is its role while Colton is in heaven? How does this compare to your previous understanding of the Holy Spirit?
Part 2) When does Colton see the power of the Holy Spirit? How is this significant? What does this say about Colton, post-trip to heaven?
Part 3) Do you believe that Colton actually saw the power of the Holy Spirit? Why or why not? In what other ways can one see God's power, or the power of nature?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)