|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy said there were lots of _____________ in heaven.
2. Colton also said that Jesus had a __________ horse.
3. What did their new friend, Phil, suggest?
4. As a pastor, he has seen it numerous times before as he stayed with families who were with a relative who was what?
5. What color did Jesus wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Burpos begin to view children differently?
2. What are the diagnoses given for Colton's illness? How could these pose a problem?
3. How was Colton's response regarding paying the doctor significant?
4. Who was stronger in this situation, Todd or Sonja? Why?
5. How is the story about Rosie the Spider significant?
6. Why did the flu or food poisoning seem to be likely causes for Colton's illness?
7. What was significant about the donations that came in?
8. Why did Colton not recognize Pop? Why did he later recognize him? What might this say about heaven?
9. For what did Sonja ask the children to pray? Why might she do this?
10. What did Todd confess? Why was this not a full confession?
Essay Topic 1
Colton chooses to not hold Rosie the Spider but later changes his mind.
Part 1) How does Colton get the chance to hold Rosie the Spider? Why does he, at first, choose not to hold her? What does this reveal about him? Why does he later change his mind and decide to hold her? What does this also reveal about him?
Part 2) What is the purpose of this story about Rosie? Is it simply to tell the events leading up to Colton's appendicitis and visions of heaven, or does it serve some other purpose?
Part 3) When have you looked past your fears and acted brave? What led to this bravery? How were you changed by this bravery?
Essay Topic 2
Todd gives an incomplete confession.
Part 1) What does Todd Confess? Why does he make this confession? How is it an incomplete confession? Why does he leave this information out? What does this say about him?
Part 2) When does Todd finally confess fully what happened to his son and to his family? Why does he finally make this confession? How do others react to it? How does this affect the Burpo family?
Part 3) How does Todd's reluctance to confess reveal his doubt? How is he like Doubting Thomas? How do you compare to Doubting Thomas and Todd? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Colton meets Pop in heaven.
Part 1) Who is Pop? How is this significant? Why might Colton meet Pop in heaven? What purpose might this serve?
Part 2) What is significant about the way Pop looks in heaven? What might this signify about heaven, or at least Colton's heaven? How does this tie in with the people with whom Jesus felt a close connection?
Part 3) Describe Colton's sister's appearance in heaven. Why might she look this way? Why would all people in heaven be in the same age range? What might be the purpose of this?
This section contains 2,700 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)