Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 1
The amount of freedom and choice varies greatly among the characters in Heat and Dust. Compare and contrast how each set of characters below is trapped by, wastes or uses their given freedom in the story.
1) Douglas and the Nawab.
2) Olivia and the Narrator.
3) Chid and Ritu.
Essay Topic 2
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)