|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
2. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
3. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
4. What is Samadhi?
5. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
Essay Topic 2
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Heat and Dust is told from the narrator's first person journal entries and from Olivia's first person accounts in her letters to Marcia.
1) What is gained and lost from the author's use of this perspective for the story?
2) Who else could have told this story and what would the impact of their different viewpoint be?
3) If the narrator did not have Olivia's letters, but had heard of her story through oral accounts, how might the story change?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)