|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
2. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
3. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
4. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
5. Who does the narrator believe is the father of the pregnant person she learns about on July 31st?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the roles of tradition and symbolism in Heat and Dust. Be sure to explain how the examples you give helped or hindered the people involved, why they chose to participate in acts or events, and why the symbols or symbolic acts or traditions were meaningful to the plot and storyline.
Essay Topic 2
Many minor characters in Heat and Dust have an important role in the story and a huge impact on other characters. Choose characters below and discuss the impact or the role that this person has on other characters in the novel.
4) Mrs. Saunders.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)