|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
2. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
3. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
4. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
5. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the roles of tradition and symbolism in Heat and Dust. Be sure to explain how the examples you give helped or hindered the people involved, why they chose to participate in acts or events, and why the symbols or symbolic acts or traditions were meaningful to the plot and storyline.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
Essay Topic 3
Do the characters in Heat and Dust create their own destinies, or has life thrust circumstances upon them? Analyze this question for any 3 characters in the story. Be sure to select at least one character from Olivia's time and one from the minor time. Consider expectations, behavior, circumstances and attitudes.
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)