|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
2. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
3. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
4. What environmental change is apparent in Section 32?
5. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inder Lal, the narrator, Olivia and the Nawab all carry on affairs while married or with someone who is married.
1)Is any one of these deceptions more acceptable than the others? For instance, is it more okay for the narrator to have the affair than Inder Lal because she is unmarried?
2) How does the act of deception affect the character's future in the story?
3) What other acts of deception occur in the novel, and how do they impact the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
This section contains 1,614 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)