|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
2. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
3. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
4. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
5. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
Essay Topic 3
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)