Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
Throughout Heat and Dust, the narrator discovers negative traits about Olivia, yet this only seems to fuel her desire to discover more about this intriguing woman.
1) Compare and contrast the things that motivate Olivia and the narrator.
2) Explain how positive and negative traits in the narrator inspire her to learn about Olivia.
3) Explain how Olivia's decisions impact the narrator's decisions.
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)