Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 1
Heat and Dust is told from the narrator's first person journal entries and from Olivia's first person accounts in her letters to Marcia.
1) What is gained and lost from the author's use of this perspective for the story?
2) Who else could have told this story and what would the impact of their different viewpoint be?
3) If the narrator did not have Olivia's letters, but had heard of her story through oral accounts, how might the story change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism occurs in many forms in Heat and Dust. Select 3 symbolic items from the list below, or elsewhere in the story. Answer the questions that follow about those 3 items. Red strings, the piano, Olivia's letters, Chid's robe, the Nawab's palace, the Saunders' baby's grave, the grove, Baba Firdau's shrine, the royal tombs, Maji's hut.
1) Explain the significance this item has to the story and to specific characters.
2) Relate the symbolic item to the culture in which it exists.
3) Discuss what the story would lose without the inclusion of this symbolic item.
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)