|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 1
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 3
Inder Lal, the narrator, Olivia and the Nawab all carry on affairs while married or with someone who is married.
1)Is any one of these deceptions more acceptable than the others? For instance, is it more okay for the narrator to have the affair than Inder Lal because she is unmarried?
2) How does the act of deception affect the character's future in the story?
3) What other acts of deception occur in the novel, and how do they impact the characters involved?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)