|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
2. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
3. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
4. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
5. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)