Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
Essay Topic 1
Much of Heat and Dust is the study of contrasts between the Eastern and Western cultures. Explore that concept as you answer these questions:
1) What preconceived notions do the English in Olivia's time bring with them to India that shape their experiences in that culture? Use at least 3 specific character examples in your answer.
2) How do the Nawab and Chid adapt to cultures that are different from the ones they were raised in? What effects do their actions have on them and on those around them?
3) How do Harry and Maji represent the clash of, or integration of, different cultures in this story?
Essay Topic 2
The relationships explored in Heat and Dust span generations, cultures and bloodlines. Of course, the connection between Olivia and the narrator is intriguing as they are not related by blood, and will never meet, yet Olivia's life is having a strong impact on the narrator's. Analyze the following aspects of this unique relationship.
1) Is Olivia a good person? Is the narrator?
2) Is it disloyal of the narrator to give so much attention and energy to the woman who betrayed her grandfather?
3) How would the story be different if the narrator was able to meet Olivia?
Essay Topic 3
Do the characters in Heat and Dust create their own destinies, or has life thrust circumstances upon them? Analyze this question for any 3 characters in the story. Be sure to select at least one character from Olivia's time and one from the minor time. Consider expectations, behavior, circumstances and attitudes.
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)