|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and Inder Lal go together in Section 25?
2. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
3. In Section 25, what do Inder Lal and the narrator do with the red strings?
4. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
5. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Heat and Dust, the narrator discovers negative traits about Olivia, yet this only seems to fuel her desire to discover more about this intriguing woman.
1) Compare and contrast the things that motivate Olivia and the narrator.
2) Explain how positive and negative traits in the narrator inspire her to learn about Olivia.
3) Explain how Olivia's decisions impact the narrator's decisions.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)