|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
2. Where is Chid at the end of Section 30?
3. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
4. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
5. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
Essay Topic 2
Inder Lal, the narrator, Olivia and the Nawab all carry on affairs while married or with someone who is married.
1)Is any one of these deceptions more acceptable than the others? For instance, is it more okay for the narrator to have the affair than Inder Lal because she is unmarried?
2) How does the act of deception affect the character's future in the story?
3) What other acts of deception occur in the novel, and how do they impact the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Consider each character listed below and their experience with the opposite sex in Heat and Dust. Using evidence from the novel, support the argument that the character's life has been or not been negatively impacted by that experience.
1) The Nawab.
2) The Narrator.
3) Inder Lal.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)