|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
2. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
3. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
4. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
5. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the characters in Heat and Dust create their own destinies, or has life thrust circumstances upon them? Analyze this question for any 3 characters in the story. Be sure to select at least one character from Olivia's time and one from the minor time. Consider expectations, behavior, circumstances and attitudes.
Essay Topic 2
Inder Lal, the narrator, Olivia and the Nawab all carry on affairs while married or with someone who is married.
1)Is any one of these deceptions more acceptable than the others? For instance, is it more okay for the narrator to have the affair than Inder Lal because she is unmarried?
2) How does the act of deception affect the character's future in the story?
3) What other acts of deception occur in the novel, and how do they impact the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Much of Heat and Dust is the study of contrasts between the Eastern and Western cultures. Explore that concept as you answer these questions:
1) What preconceived notions do the English in Olivia's time bring with them to India that shape their experiences in that culture? Use at least 3 specific character examples in your answer.
2) How do the Nawab and Chid adapt to cultures that are different from the ones they were raised in? What effects do their actions have on them and on those around them?
3) How do Harry and Maji represent the clash of, or integration of, different cultures in this story?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)