|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
2. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
3. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
4. In Section 25, what do Inder Lal and the narrator do with the red strings?
5. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Heat and Dust is told from the narrator's first person journal entries and from Olivia's first person accounts in her letters to Marcia.
1) What is gained and lost from the author's use of this perspective for the story?
2) Who else could have told this story and what would the impact of their different viewpoint be?
3) If the narrator did not have Olivia's letters, but had heard of her story through oral accounts, how might the story change?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)