|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
2. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
3. How does the Nawab die?
4. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
5. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
Essay Topic 1
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In Heat and Dust, the narrator explores the life of a woman who lives in a different era, while living in a culture different from her own. Answer the following questions with these points in mind.
1) Is Ritu's treatment by her husband, mother-in-law and the narrator acceptable? Explain.
2) Why is Olivia's behavior so readily condemned by her English peers?
3) Explain why the old beggar woman who dies in Maji's arms is pivotal to the narrator's journey.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)