|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
2. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
3. Who does the narrator learn is pregnant on July 31st?
4. Where does the narrator take a room in the final chapter?
5. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships explored in Heat and Dust span generations, cultures and bloodlines. Of course, the connection between Olivia and the narrator is intriguing as they are not related by blood, and will never meet, yet Olivia's life is having a strong impact on the narrator's. Analyze the following aspects of this unique relationship.
1) Is Olivia a good person? Is the narrator?
2) Is it disloyal of the narrator to give so much attention and energy to the woman who betrayed her grandfather?
3) How would the story be different if the narrator was able to meet Olivia?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)