|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
2. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
3. What is true of Maji?
4. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
5. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism occurs in many forms in Heat and Dust. Select 3 symbolic items from the list below, or elsewhere in the story. Answer the questions that follow about those 3 items. Red strings, the piano, Olivia's letters, Chid's robe, the Nawab's palace, the Saunders' baby's grave, the grove, Baba Firdau's shrine, the royal tombs, Maji's hut.
1) Explain the significance this item has to the story and to specific characters.
2) Relate the symbolic item to the culture in which it exists.
3) Discuss what the story would lose without the inclusion of this symbolic item.
Essay Topic 2
Consider each character listed below and their experience with the opposite sex in Heat and Dust. Using evidence from the novel, support the argument that the character's life has been or not been negatively impacted by that experience.
1) The Nawab.
2) The Narrator.
3) Inder Lal.
Essay Topic 3
Many minor characters in Heat and Dust have an important role in the story and a huge impact on other characters. Choose characters below and discuss the impact or the role that this person has on other characters in the novel.
4) Mrs. Saunders.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)