|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry pick Olivia up anymore in Section 22?
2. In Section 24, why does Douglas seem to believe that Olivia travels frequently to Khatm?
3. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
4. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
5. Who tells the narrator the old beggar woman's name?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Heat and Dust, the narrator discovers negative traits about Olivia, yet this only seems to fuel her desire to discover more about this intriguing woman.
1) Compare and contrast the things that motivate Olivia and the narrator.
2) Explain how positive and negative traits in the narrator inspire her to learn about Olivia.
3) Explain how Olivia's decisions impact the narrator's decisions.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
This section contains 1,527 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)