|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
2. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
3. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
4. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
5. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 3
Inder Lal, the narrator, Olivia and the Nawab all carry on affairs while married or with someone who is married.
1)Is any one of these deceptions more acceptable than the others? For instance, is it more okay for the narrator to have the affair than Inder Lal because she is unmarried?
2) How does the act of deception affect the character's future in the story?
3) What other acts of deception occur in the novel, and how do they impact the characters involved?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)