|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
2. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
3. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
4. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
5. How long does the narrator intend to stay at her proposed destination at the end of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 2
Many minor characters in Heat and Dust have an important role in the story and a huge impact on other characters. Choose characters below and discuss the impact or the role that this person has on other characters in the novel.
4) Mrs. Saunders.
Essay Topic 3
The relationships explored in Heat and Dust span generations, cultures and bloodlines. Of course, the connection between Olivia and the narrator is intriguing as they are not related by blood, and will never meet, yet Olivia's life is having a strong impact on the narrator's. Analyze the following aspects of this unique relationship.
1) Is Olivia a good person? Is the narrator?
2) Is it disloyal of the narrator to give so much attention and energy to the woman who betrayed her grandfather?
3) How would the story be different if the narrator was able to meet Olivia?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)