|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas' children in her August 20th journal entry?
2. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
3. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
4. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
5. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider each character listed below and their experience with the opposite sex in Heat and Dust. Using evidence from the novel, support the argument that the character's life has been or not been negatively impacted by that experience.
1) The Nawab.
2) The Narrator.
3) Inder Lal.
Essay Topic 2
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)