|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
2. Who tells the narrator the old beggar woman's name?
3. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
4. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
5. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the author effectively uses nature or weather to develop one of the story lines listed below:
1) Olivia and the narrator's pregnancies.
2) Olivia's marriage to Douglas and relationship with the Nawab.
3) The narrator's exploration of Olivia's life.
4) Ritu's ailments.
Essay Topic 2
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
Essay Topic 3
Heat and Dust is told from the narrator's first person journal entries and from Olivia's first person accounts in her letters to Marcia.
1) What is gained and lost from the author's use of this perspective for the story?
2) Who else could have told this story and what would the impact of their different viewpoint be?
3) If the narrator did not have Olivia's letters, but had heard of her story through oral accounts, how might the story change?
This section contains 1,592 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)