|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
2. What is different about Chid when he returns on August 15th?
3. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
4. What does Olivia request to occur after her death?
5. In Section 24, why does Douglas seem to believe that Olivia travels frequently to Khatm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 3
The amount of freedom and choice varies greatly among the characters in Heat and Dust. Compare and contrast how each set of characters below is trapped by, wastes or uses their given freedom in the story.
1) Douglas and the Nawab.
2) Olivia and the Narrator.
3) Chid and Ritu.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)