|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Begum?
2. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
3. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
4. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
5. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
2. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
3. Describe Chid's health in Section 30.
4. Based on her actions in Section 23, is the narrator a kindhearted person?
5. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
6. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
7. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
8. How do Inder Lal and the narrator become closer at their visit to the Nawab's palace?
9. How will the pilgrimage help Ritu?
10. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Heat and Dust, the narrator discovers negative traits about Olivia, yet this only seems to fuel her desire to discover more about this intriguing woman.
1) Compare and contrast the things that motivate Olivia and the narrator.
2) Explain how positive and negative traits in the narrator inspire her to learn about Olivia.
3) Explain how Olivia's decisions impact the narrator's decisions.
Essay Topic 2
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)