|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
2. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
3. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
4. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
5. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Chid a tolerant person?
2. Why is the narrator motivated to travel to India?
3. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
4. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
5. Explain how Olivia reveals the details of her pregnancy to the possible fathers.
6. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
7. Describe Chid's transformation in Section 28.
8. Compare Chid's letters in Section 21 to Olivia's letters.
9. Why is the location of the narrator's first act of intimacy with Inder Lal significant?
10. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do the characters in Heat and Dust create their own destinies, or has life thrust circumstances upon them? Analyze this question for any 3 characters in the story. Be sure to select at least one character from Olivia's time and one from the minor time. Consider expectations, behavior, circumstances and attitudes.
Essay Topic 2
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)