|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
2. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
3. What best describes the natural elements in Satipur according to the narrator's April 25th journal entry?
4. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
5. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Douglas and the Nawab represent in Section 16?
2. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
3. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
4. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
5. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
6. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas's life in Section 30?
7. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
8. What does Inder Lal think of India?
9. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
10. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Heat and Dust the narrator keeps her child and heads off to live on the mountainside. Explain the changes that she has experienced that allow her to make this move and these decisions at this point in her life. Consider the theme of appearance versus reality, the power of choice, and the ability to change in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)