|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
2. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
3. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
4. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
5. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas's life in Section 30?
2. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
3. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
4. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
5. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
6. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
7. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
8. Why does Inder Lal's mother take Ritu on the pilgrimage?
9. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
10. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
Essay Topic 2
Many minor characters in Heat and Dust have an important role in the story and a huge impact on other characters. Choose characters below and discuss the impact or the role that this person has on other characters in the novel.
4) Mrs. Saunders.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, the narrator discovers negative traits about Olivia, yet this only seems to fuel her desire to discover more about this intriguing woman.
1) Compare and contrast the things that motivate Olivia and the narrator.
2) Explain how positive and negative traits in the narrator inspire her to learn about Olivia.
3) Explain how Olivia's decisions impact the narrator's decisions.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)