|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
2. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
3. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
4. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
5. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
2. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
3. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
4. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
5. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
6. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
7. Describe the beggar the narrator notices and helps in Section 23.
8. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
9. Are Mrs. Saunders and Olivia similar, based on their first meeting in Section 8?
10. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 2
The amount of freedom and choice varies greatly among the characters in Heat and Dust. Compare and contrast how each set of characters below is trapped by, wastes or uses their given freedom in the story.
1) Douglas and the Nawab.
2) Olivia and the Narrator.
3) Chid and Ritu.
Essay Topic 3
Many minor characters in Heat and Dust have an important role in the story and a huge impact on other characters. Choose characters below and discuss the impact or the role that this person has on other characters in the novel.
4) Mrs. Saunders.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)