|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
2. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
3. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
4. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
5. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men react when Olivia first reveals that she is pregnant?
2. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas's life in Section 30?
3. Does the narrator trust Maji?
4. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
5. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
6. Describe Harry's argument with Olivia in Section 22.
7. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
8. Explain the importance of the piano in Section 20.
9. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
10. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of faith in Heat and Dust. Select one of the questions to analyze.
1) How does the narrator's faith or lack of faith impact her experiences and expectations in this story?
2) How does the narrator's faith in herself or in others change the direction of the novel at an important point or points?
3) Which character in the story has the strongest faith? The weakest?
Essay Topic 2
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Consider each character listed below and their experience with the opposite sex in Heat and Dust. Using evidence from the novel, support the argument that the character's life has been or not been negatively impacted by that experience.
1) The Nawab.
2) The Narrator.
3) Inder Lal.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)