|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
2. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
3. What is the Begum?
4. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
5. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
2. Is Chid a tolerant person?
3. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
4. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
5. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
6. What does Inder Lal think of India?
7. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
8. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
9. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
10. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The amount of freedom and choice varies greatly among the characters in Heat and Dust. Compare and contrast how each set of characters below is trapped by, wastes or uses their given freedom in the story.
1) Douglas and the Nawab.
2) Olivia and the Narrator.
3) Chid and Ritu.
Essay Topic 2
The use of religion and culture to justify a character's actions occurs in different ways in Heat and Dust.
1) Find 3 incidences of these occurrences and discuss their impact on the story.
2) Explain the differing attitudes toward abortion that are seen in the story.
3) Choose a character from the novel and explain how he or she is judged based on that person's religious or cultural beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)