|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
2. What best describes the natural elements in Satipur according to the narrator's April 25th journal entry?
3. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
4. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
5. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance of the red strings in Section 26.
2. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
3. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
4. Describe the behavior and actions of the midwives during Olivia's abortion.
5. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
6. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
7. Describe Olivia's feelings about and prior to the dinner party that she and Douglas attend at the Nawab's palace in Section 6.
8. What does Inder Lal think of India?
9. Does the narrator trust Maji?
10. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the roles of tradition and symbolism in Heat and Dust. Be sure to explain how the examples you give helped or hindered the people involved, why they chose to participate in acts or events, and why the symbols or symbolic acts or traditions were meaningful to the plot and storyline.
Essay Topic 2
Much of Heat and Dust is the study of contrasts between the Eastern and Western cultures. Explore that concept as you answer these questions:
1) What preconceived notions do the English in Olivia's time bring with them to India that shape their experiences in that culture? Use at least 3 specific character examples in your answer.
2) How do the Nawab and Chid adapt to cultures that are different from the ones they were raised in? What effects do their actions have on them and on those around them?
3) How do Harry and Maji represent the clash of, or integration of, different cultures in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)