|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
2. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
3. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
4. Where does Chid recover from his fever?
5. What is a sadhu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
2. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
3. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
4. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
5. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
6. Is Maji sympathetic to the narrator?
7. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
8. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
9. Why is the narrator motivated to travel to India?
10. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select two characters from the story that have different perspectives of the same event. Write two letters, one from each character addressed to the other, describing their event and what happened. For example, you might use Douglas and the Nawab's account of Olivia's pregnancy, Chid and Inder Lal's perceptions of the narrator's journey, or Dr. Saunders' and the Begum's perception of Olivia's abortion.
Essay Topic 2
In Heat and Dust, the role of each character adds depth to the message of the novel. Choose 3 characters listed below. For each, examine how the role each one plays, or refuses to play, helps to advance the storyline.
1) The Narrator.
3) The Nawab.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism occurs in many forms in Heat and Dust. Select 3 symbolic items from the list below, or elsewhere in the story. Answer the questions that follow about those 3 items. Red strings, the piano, Olivia's letters, Chid's robe, the Nawab's palace, the Saunders' baby's grave, the grove, Baba Firdau's shrine, the royal tombs, Maji's hut.
1) Explain the significance this item has to the story and to specific characters.
2) Relate the symbolic item to the culture in which it exists.
3) Discuss what the story would lose without the inclusion of this symbolic item.
This section contains 2,190 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)