|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
2. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
3. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
4. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
5. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
2. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
3. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
4. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
5. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
6. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
7. Compare Chid's letters in Section 21 to Olivia's letters.
8. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
9. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
10. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the roles of tradition and symbolism in Heat and Dust. Be sure to explain how the examples you give helped or hindered the people involved, why they chose to participate in acts or events, and why the symbols or symbolic acts or traditions were meaningful to the plot and storyline.
Essay Topic 2
The power to change one's self and transform one's circumstances is a theme in Heat and Dust.
1) Explain how the dual stories of Olivia and the narrator reflect this theme.
2) Discuss the impact of setting and nature on a personal transformation in the story.
3) What one character transformation that did NOT occur in the story could have changed the entire course of the novel? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout Heat and Dust, numerous references are made about India and Illness. Locate 3 such references in the novel. Analyze each one for its accuracy based upon the story, the impact this comment has on characters or events, and how the comment impacts the reader's experience of the novel.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)