|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(b) A loving mother.
(c) A desert flower.
(d) A Hindu God.
2. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
3. What is true of Maji?
(a) She has worked as a midwife.
(b) She wants a child.
(c) She dislikes Ritu.
(d) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
4. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
(a) Buy her a poultice at the bazaar.
(b) Convince the Nawab that the child is his.
(c) Get her a ticket back to England.
(d) Ask the Begum about an abortion.
5. What does the narrator report in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) She is followed by a woman.
(b) She has shaved her head.
(c) She is very ill.
(d) She cannot eat mangoes without getting sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
3. What is different about Chid when he returns on August 15th?
4. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
5. How long does the narrator intend to stay at her proposed destination at the end of the story?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)