|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
(a) She is blind and wears a band over her eyes.
(b) She never speaks; she holds out her hands when hungry.
(c) She is crippled and sits on a low platform with wheels.
(d) She sings throughout the day to earn money from passersby.
2. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
(a) That it seems to soothe the Nawab.
(b) That she hasn't played for a long time.
(c) That she has much improved.
(d) That she uses it as an outlet for her frustration.
3. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
(a) She is stripped and covered with a sheet.
(b) She is met by an older woman who doesn't speak.
(c) She is blindfolded and taken to a small room.
(d) She wears a burka and is led down a dark alley.
4. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(b) A loving mother.
(c) A desert flower.
(d) A Hindu God.
5. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
(b) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
(c) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(d) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else do Olivia and the Nawab do together on the day they first make love?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
4. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
5. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)