|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He has a stroke.
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
(a) Mrs. Saunders' cousin.
(b) Harry's cousin.
(c) Marcia's sister.
(d) Beth's sister.
3. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
(a) To visit Ritu.
(b) To Maji's hut.
(c) To the monsoon pond in the village center.
(d) To tie strings at the shrine.
4. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A desert flower.
(b) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(c) A Hindu God.
(d) A loving mother.
5. What is true of Maji?
(a) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
(b) She dislikes Ritu.
(c) She wants a child.
(d) She has worked as a midwife.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
2. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
3. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
4. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
5. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)