|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(c) Mr. Saunders.
(d) The Nawab.
2. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
(b) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(c) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
(d) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
3. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
(a) Major Minnies.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) The Nawab.
(d) Mrs. Crawford.
4. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
(a) They were very close.
(b) She never met him.
(c) She hardly remembers him.
(d) They disliked each other.
5. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(b) Sex has become painful for her.
(c) She decides that it brings her misery.
(d) She is mad at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
2. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
3. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
4. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
5. How do the narrator and Chid appear in Satipur?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
2. Describe the behavior and actions of the midwives during Olivia's abortion.
3. Why does Inder Lal's mother take Ritu on the pilgrimage?
4. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
5. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
6. What do Douglas and the Nawab represent in Section 16?
7. Does the narrator trust Maji?
8. Is Maji sympathetic to the narrator?
9. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
10. Describe Chid's transformation in Section 28.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)