|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(b) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(c) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
(d) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
2. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Psychiatric treatment.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
(d) Having Ritu stay with her.
3. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(a) An anonymous source.
4. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(b) To the suttee shrine.
(c) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(d) To a well where the women gather.
5. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(b) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
(c) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(d) It is believed to be a place of healing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
2. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
3. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
4. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
5. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chid's transformation in Section 28.
2. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
3. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
4. Describe the beggar the narrator notices and helps in Section 23.
5. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
6. Explain how the narrator tells Chid and Inder Lal about her pregnancy in Section 28.
7. Describe a typical day for the narrator, according to her March 8th journal entry.
8. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
9. What does Inder Lal think of India?
10. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)