|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(b) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(c) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(d) What to bring to the prince.
2. Why is the person the narrator discovers inside the royal tomb there, in Section 13?
(a) The person is hiding.
(b) The person is being held prisoner.
(c) The person is praying.
(d) The person is sick with fever.
3. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
4. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
(a) The Nawab.
(b) Mrs. Crawford.
(c) Major Minnies.
(d) Mr. Crawford.
5. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(b) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
(c) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(d) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
2. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
3. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
4. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
5. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Maji sympathetic to the narrator?
2. Is Chid a tolerant person?
3. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
4. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
5. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
6. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
7. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
8. Does the narrator trust Maji?
9. Based on her actions in Section 23, is the narrator a kindhearted person?
10. Describe Harry's argument with Olivia in Section 22.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)