Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) Mango leaves.
(b) The rupees she drops on the way in.
(c) A key.
(d) Rock sugar and flower petals.
2. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Help older widows.
(b) Sing and pray.
(c) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(d) Share food and have a good time.
3. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Something in Olivia's letters.
(b) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(c) A loud groaning.
(d) Something she read at the library.
4. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
5. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Hides them.
(b) Works on them.
(c) Reads them to him.
(d) Burns them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
2. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
3. How does the narrator describe Chid?
4. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
5. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
2. How do Inder Lal and the narrator become closer at their visit to the Nawab's palace?
3. Explain the importance of the red strings in Section 26.
4. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
5. Describe Harry's argument with Olivia in Section 22.
6. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
7. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
8. Describe the narrator's clothing and her reasons for choosing them in Section 4.
9. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
10. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)