|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(a) Musical chairs.
(b) Hide and go seek.
(c) The Begum.
2. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
(a) It is full of silent tension.
(b) It sounds like a religious war.
(c) It takes on a peace it did not have before.
(d) It becomes a friendly haven for all three of them.
3. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
(b) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
(c) The narrator and Chid.
(d) Maji and the narrator.
4. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
(a) Adopting an Indian child.
(c) Having children.
(d) Returning to England.
5. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
(a) He goes to her side to try and calm her immediately.
(b) He cries and chants.
(c) He covers his ears and tells her to shut up.
(d) He is unaffected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
2. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
3. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
4. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
5. How does Chid explain Ritu's screams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the narrator trust Maji?
2. Explain the importance of the piano in Section 20.
3. Is the narrator's decision to stay in India indicative of her approval or disapproval of Olivia's life and decisions?
4. What does Inder Lal think of India?
5. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
6. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
7. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
8. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
9. Explain how the narrator tells Chid and Inder Lal about her pregnancy in Section 28.
10. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)