|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(b) Something in Olivia's letters.
(c) Something she read at the library.
(d) A loud groaning.
2. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(b) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(c) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(d) Only Beth Crawford.
3. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
(a) Having children.
(c) Returning to England.
(d) Adopting an Indian child.
4. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Shares it with the narrator.
(b) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
(c) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
(d) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
5. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are bitter enemies.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are best friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
2. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
3. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
4. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
5. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
2. Describe Olivia's feelings about and prior to the dinner party that she and Douglas attend at the Nawab's palace in Section 6.
3. Why is the location of the narrator's first act of intimacy with Inder Lal significant?
4. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
5. Why is the narrator motivated to travel to India?
6. What does Inder Lal think of India?
7. Describe a typical day for the narrator, according to her March 8th journal entry.
8. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
9. Describe the beggar the narrator notices and helps in Section 23.
10. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)