|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and Chid appear in Satipur?
(a) They are revered like prophets.
(b) They are ignored and treated like ghosts.
(c) They stand out.
(d) They blend in.
2. What is a sadhu?
(a) A tomb painting.
(b) An unforgivable sin.
(c) A holy man.
(d) A blessing.
3. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
4. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(a) Hide and go seek.
(c) Musical chairs.
(d) The Begum.
5. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(b) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
(c) Slaps the person in the face.
(d) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
2. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
3. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
4. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
5. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Chid a tolerant person?
2. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
3. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
4. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
5. Are Mrs. Saunders and Olivia similar, based on their first meeting in Section 8?
6. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
7. Compare Chid's letters in Section 21 to Olivia's letters.
8. Explain how the narrator tells Chid and Inder Lal about her pregnancy in Section 28.
9. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
10. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)