|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) Rock sugar and flower petals.
(b) The rupees she drops on the way in.
(c) A key.
(d) Mango leaves.
2. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Reads them to him.
(b) Works on them.
(c) Hides them.
(d) Burns them.
3. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(c) The hotel owner.
(d) A missionary.
4. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) They are bitter enemies.
(d) They are sisters.
5. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To see the stars.
(b) To escape the rodents.
(c) To be close to Inder Lal.
(d) To escape the heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
2. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
3. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
4. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
5. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
2. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
3. Describe Chid's transformation in Section 28.
4. Does the narrator trust Maji?
5. Explain the importance of the red strings in Section 26.
6. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
7. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
8. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas's life in Section 30?
9. Explain how Olivia reveals the details of her pregnancy to the possible fathers.
10. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)