|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(a) An anonymous source.
2. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A painting of herself.
(b) A child-size bicycle.
(c) Rusting camera equipment.
(d) A painting of his first wife.
3. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
(a) She doesn't understand it, but feels pulled by a higher power.
(b) She does not feel any spiritual calling.
(c) She felt called to come to India to pursue a higher calling.
(d) She feels she must find a spiritual calling, or is doomed.
4. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
(a) Her journal, Tessie's diary and a Hindi grammar book.
(b) Olivia's letters, her journal and a Hindi grammar book.
(c) Olivia's letters and the map to the palace.
(d) Olivia's letters, her journal and a guide to India.
5. What is a suttee?
(a) A long mat used for praying.
(b) A religious icon of an older woman.
(c) A religious suicide of a widow.
(d) A fertility symbol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Baba Firdau's shrine built?
2. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
3. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
4. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
5. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
2. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
3. Why does Olivia want a child in Section 20?
4. Describe Chid's health in Section 30.
5. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
6. Why is the location of the narrator's first act of intimacy with Inder Lal significant?
7. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
8. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
9. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
10. What does Inder Lal think of India?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)