|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(b) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(c) Only Beth Crawford.
(d) Major Minnies and Olivia.
2. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Something in Olivia's letters.
(b) A loud groaning.
(c) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(d) Something she read at the library.
3. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(b) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
(c) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
(d) That she will fit in effortlessly.
4. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(b) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(c) To the suttee shrine.
(d) To a well where the women gather.
5. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
2. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
3. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
4. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
5. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inder Lal think of India?
2. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
3. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
4. Describe a typical day for the narrator, according to her March 8th journal entry.
5. Why don't Ritu's screams in Section 18 bother Chid?
6. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
7. Describe Olivia's feelings about and prior to the dinner party that she and Douglas attend at the Nawab's palace in Section 6.
8. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
9. Describe Maji.
10. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)