|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With fear.
(b) With curiosity.
(c) With disdain.
(d) With respect.
2. What does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford about his mother in Section 15?
(a) She has special visions.
(b) She has dysentery.
(c) He visits her in Khatm every week.
(d) He wants to visit her but the Nawab won't permit it.
3. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) A missionary.
(d) The hotel owner.
4. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Olivia makes him leave.
(b) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(c) The Nawab comes to get him.
(d) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
5. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
(b) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(c) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
(d) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
2. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
3. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
4. What is a suttee?
5. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's clothing and her reasons for choosing them in Section 4.
2. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
3. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
4. Describe Dr. Saunders' opinion of Olivia in Section 35.
5. Explain how Olivia reveals the details of her pregnancy to the possible fathers.
6. Is the narrator's decision to stay in India indicative of her approval or disapproval of Olivia's life and decisions?
7. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
8. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
9. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas's life in Section 30?
10. Based on her actions in Section 23, is the narrator a kindhearted person?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)