|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
(a) An English girl the narrator meets at an old bungalow.
(b) The wife of the major at the Nawab's dinner party.
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Beth Crawford.
2. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(b) Inder Lal.
(c) Mr. Crawford.
3. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
4. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(b) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
(c) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(d) It is believed to be a place of healing.
5. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(a) Inder Lal's mother.
(b) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
(d) A psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
2. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
3. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
4. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
5. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's clothing and her reasons for choosing them in Section 4.
2. What does Inder Lal think of India?
3. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
4. Describe Dr. Saunders' opinion of Olivia in Section 35.
5. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
6. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
7. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
8. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
9. Does the narrator trust Maji?
10. Is Chid a tolerant person?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)