|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(b) Something she read at the library.
(c) Something in Olivia's letters.
(d) A loud groaning.
2. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
3. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
(c) No one.
4. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
(b) Major Minnies.
5. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
(b) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(c) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
(d) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
2. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
3. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
4. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
5. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
2. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
3. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
4. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
5. What does Inder Lal think of India?
6. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
7. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
8. Describe Dr. Saunders' opinion of Olivia in Section 35.
9. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
10. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)