|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) Maji and the narrator.
(b) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
(c) The narrator and Chid.
(d) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
2. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
3. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(c) Mr. Crawford.
(d) Inder Lal.
4. What happens when Olivia plays the piano for the Nawab?
(a) He breaks down in tears.
(b) He starts to sing.
(c) He loses interest and leaves.
(d) He sits down at the other piano and plays.
5. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Sing and pray.
(b) Share food and have a good time.
(c) Help older widows.
(d) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
2. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
3. Why is Ritu sent on a pilgrimage?
4. Why was Baba Firdau's shrine built?
5. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
2. Compare Chid's letters in Section 21 to Olivia's letters.
3. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
4. Why does Inder Lal's mother take Ritu on the pilgrimage?
5. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
6. Describe a typical day for the narrator, according to her March 8th journal entry.
7. Why is the location of the narrator's first act of intimacy with Inder Lal significant?
8. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
9. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
10. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)