|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(a) Inder Lal.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
2. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To escape the rodents.
(b) To escape the heat.
(c) To see the stars.
(d) To be close to Inder Lal.
3. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Slaps the person in the face.
(b) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
(c) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(d) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
4. What does Harry tell the narrator when she asks him for news on Khatm when he visits in Section 16?
(a) That Khatm should be burned to the ground.
(b) That he lives in the palace and nothing happens there.
(c) That she shouldn't ask so many questions.
(d) That his mother lives in Khatm.
5. Why was Baba Firdau's shrine built?
(a) To honor one who gave shelter to an ancestor of the Nawab.
(b) To grant fertility to the Nawab and his wife.
(c) To honor the Nawab's great grandmother.
(d) To bless the harvest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
2. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
3. What is a suttee?
4. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
5. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
2. What kind of a person is Chid when the narrator first meets him in Section 7?
3. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
4. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
5. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
6. Describe the beggar the narrator notices and helps in Section 23.
7. Does the narrator trust Maji?
8. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
9. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
10. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)