|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
(a) Gloomy and crumbling.
(b) Ornate and impressive.
(c) Bustling with activity.
(d) Practically empty.
2. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(b) He has his own berth arranged.
(c) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(d) He does not want to leave his mother.
3. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
(a) She doesn't understand it, but feels pulled by a higher power.
(b) She felt called to come to India to pursue a higher calling.
(c) She does not feel any spiritual calling.
(d) She feels she must find a spiritual calling, or is doomed.
4. What does Chid wear?
(a) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(b) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) A beggar's badge.
5. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
(a) Having children.
(b) Adopting an Indian child.
(d) Returning to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
2. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
3. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
4. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
5. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
2. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
3. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
4. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
5. Explain how Olivia reveals the details of her pregnancy to the possible fathers.
6. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
7. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
8. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
9. Based on her actions in Section 23, is the narrator a kindhearted person?
10. What does Inder Lal think of India?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)