|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
(a) Olivia's letters and the map to the palace.
(b) Olivia's letters, her journal and a Hindi grammar book.
(c) Olivia's letters, her journal and a guide to India.
(d) Her journal, Tessie's diary and a Hindi grammar book.
2. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
(b) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
(c) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
(d) Shares it with the narrator.
3. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
(b) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(c) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
(d) Slaps the person in the face.
4. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With fear.
(b) With curiosity.
(c) With disdain.
(d) With respect.
5. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
2. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
3. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
4. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
5. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
2. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
3. How does Harry's reluctance to bring Olivia to the palace forecast events to come?
4. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
5. How will the pilgrimage help Ritu?
6. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
7. Describe the narrator's first night, and impressions of, Bombay.
8. What does Inder Lal think of India?
9. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
10. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)