|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
(a) To build a future.
(b) To pursue a dream.
(c) To escape the materialism of the West.
(d) To find herself.
2. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) She never sees it.
(b) It is full of phallic symbols and fertility icons.
(c) Poorly maintained.
(d) It is simple and radiates peace.
3. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
(b) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Minnies.
4. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
(a) In a missionary hostel.
(b) With a woman she met on the trip over.
(c) In a cheap hotel attached to a bar.
(d) In a doorway.
5. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
(a) She can't imagine him living in India.
(b) She doesn't understand why he doesn't come to India.
(c) She thinks he is too sickly to live in India.
(d) She thinks he is too materialistic to live in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
2. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
3. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
4. How does the narrator describe Chid?
5. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
2. Does the narrator trust Maji?
3. What does Inder Lal think of India?
4. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
5. Describe Chid's transformation in Section 28.
6. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
7. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
8. Describe Chid's health in Section 30.
9. Are Mrs. Saunders and Olivia similar, based on their first meeting in Section 8?
10. Describe Dr. Saunders' opinion of Olivia in Section 35.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)