|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
2. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Noisy and clumsy.
(b) Lazy and messy.
(c) Quiet as a mouse.
(d) Helpful and unobtrusive.
3. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(b) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
(c) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(d) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
4. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
(b) Shares it with the narrator.
(c) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
(d) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
5. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
(a) She hardly remembers him.
(b) They disliked each other.
(c) She never met him.
(d) They were very close.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
2. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
3. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
4. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
5. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
2. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
3. What do Douglas and the Nawab represent in Section 16?
4. Describe the seasonal changes and its relationship to the story in Section 32.
5. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
6. Explain the importance of the red strings in Section 26.
7. How do the men react when Olivia first reveals that she is pregnant?
8. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
9. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
10. Describe Harry's argument with Olivia in Section 22.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)