|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Chid?
(a) He's seeking for answers.
(b) He's a bit of calm in a storm of chaos.
(c) He carries an aura of danger.
(d) He's always hungry for sleep and sex.
2. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(b) She is mad at him.
(c) Sex has become painful for her.
(d) She decides that it brings her misery.
3. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(b) Something she read at the library.
(c) A loud groaning.
(d) Something in Olivia's letters.
4. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) Mango leaves.
(b) A key.
(c) The rupees she drops on the way in.
(d) Rock sugar and flower petals.
5. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(b) The tall woman who sells fruit.
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
2. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
3. Why is the person the narrator discovers inside the royal tomb there, in Section 13?
4. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
5. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Olivia and Douglas's relationship in Section 23.
2. What do Douglas and the Nawab represent in Section 16?
3. Describe the narrator's actions in the hospital ward that result in her being treated differently by the other people there.
4. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
5. How do Ritu's screams and Chid's chants affect the narrator in Section17?
6. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
7. How do Inder Lal and the narrator become closer at their visit to the Nawab's palace?
8. Describe the narrator's clothing and her reasons for choosing them in Section 4.
9. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
10. Describe the narrator's first night, and impressions of, Bombay.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)