|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) The narrator and Chid.
(b) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
(c) Maji and the narrator.
(d) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
2. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(b) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(c) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
(d) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
3. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
4. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
(a) She felt called to come to India to pursue a higher calling.
(b) She does not feel any spiritual calling.
(c) She doesn't understand it, but feels pulled by a higher power.
(d) She feels she must find a spiritual calling, or is doomed.
5. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Reads them to him.
(c) Works on them.
(d) Hides them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
2. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
3. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
4. Why does Major Minnies consider "Husband's Wedding Day" a problem?
5. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's room in Satipur City.
2. How will the pilgrimage help Ritu?
3. How do Inder Lal and the narrator become closer at their visit to the Nawab's palace?
4. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
5. What does Inder Lal think of India?
6. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
7. Is Maji sympathetic to the narrator?
8. Describe Maji.
9. Explain what happens to Olivia after her abortion.
10. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)