|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It is for sale.
(b) It is condemned.
(c) It has been torn down.
(d) It houses a post office substation.
2. How does the narrator describe Chid?
(a) He's a bit of calm in a storm of chaos.
(b) He's always hungry for sleep and sex.
(c) He carries an aura of danger.
(d) He's seeking for answers.
3. What does Harry tell the narrator when she asks him for news on Khatm when he visits in Section 16?
(a) That his mother lives in Khatm.
(b) That she shouldn't ask so many questions.
(c) That he lives in the palace and nothing happens there.
(d) That Khatm should be burned to the ground.
4. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
(b) Inder Lal.
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
5. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
(a) It holds bitter memories for the Nawab.
(b) The Begum doesn't like it.
(c) He was forbidden to return after that first visit.
(d) The fire made it unlivable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
2. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
3. Where does Chid recover from his fever?
4. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
5. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator motivated to travel to India?
2. How does Chid treat the people and things in his life?
3. Why does Olivia want a child in Section 20?
4. Describe the narrator's clothing and her reasons for choosing them in Section 4.
5. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
6. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
7. Explain how the narrator tells Chid and Inder Lal about her pregnancy in Section 28.
8. Is Maji sympathetic to the narrator?
9. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
10. What is the wish that the narrator makes with the red strings, and why?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)