|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
(a) Both are well-maintained.
(b) One is black and the other is white.
(c) One is a baby grand, the other is a child-sized spinnet.
(d) Both are in disrepair.
2. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(b) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(c) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
(d) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
3. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Only Beth Crawford.
(b) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(c) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(d) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
4. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
(a) She awakens to bells and works on her papers.
(b) She works on her papers and doesn't stop to eat until late in the day.
(c) She lights the fire and eats with Inder Lal's family.
(d) She awakens to birds and cooks for Inder Lal.
5. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
(a) Crumbling to the ground.
(b) Simple and peaceful.
(c) Enclosed by arches and dark.
(d) Gilt with gold and very ornate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
2. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
3. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
4. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
5. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
2. Is the narrator helping Chid when she lets him stay with her in Section 14?
3. Why does the narrator write to Chid's family in Section 31?
4. Is Mrs. Saunders aware of Olivia's relationship with the Nawab in Section 24?
5. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
6. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
7. Describe Maji.
8. Why does Douglas accept the Nawab's presence in his home so readily in Section 12?
9. Describe a typical day for the narrator, according to her March 8th journal entry.
10. Why is Husband's Wedding Day significant to the narrator in Section 15?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)