|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Olivia plays the piano for the Nawab?
(a) He breaks down in tears.
(b) He loses interest and leaves.
(c) He starts to sing.
(d) He sits down at the other piano and plays.
2. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
(a) Both are in disrepair.
(b) One is a baby grand, the other is a child-sized spinnet.
(c) Both are well-maintained.
(d) One is black and the other is white.
3. Why does Major Minnies consider "Husband's Wedding Day" a problem?
(a) The Nawab promotes anti-English sentiment on this day.
(b) There is conflict between the Hindus and the Muslims.
(c) There are too many people in a small space.
(d) The Nawab encourages fighting on this day.
4. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A robe.
(d) A plant.
5. What does Chid wear?
(a) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(b) A soldier's uniform.
(c) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(d) A beggar's badge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
2. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
3. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
4. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
5. Why is the person the narrator discovers inside the royal tomb there, in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Chid a tolerant person?
2. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
3. Explain how the narrator's sleep is interrupted in Section 10.
4. Describe the relationship between Inder Lal's mother and Ritu.
5. Explain the phrase, "Things get mixed up in India."
6. Describe Chid's appearance when the narrator finds him in the royal tomb.
7. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
8. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
9. What is Satipur like in Section 17?
10. How do the men react when Olivia first reveals that she is pregnant?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)