|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(a) A plant.
(d) A robe.
2. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(b) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(c) It is believed to be a place of healing.
(d) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
3. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(a) Hide and go seek.
(b) The Begum.
(c) Musical chairs.
4. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) The village women.
5. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(b) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(c) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(d) What to bring to the prince.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
2. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
3. What is the Begum?
4. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
5. Why is the person the narrator discovers inside the royal tomb there, in Section 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Nawab show his contempt for Saunders in Section 24?
2. Is Chid a tolerant person?
3. How does the narrator feel upon discovering that she is pregnant?
4. Are Mrs. Saunders and Olivia similar, based on their first meeting in Section 8?
5. Why does the Begum visit Olivia during the abortion?
6. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
7. Describe Maji.
8. Why does the narrator decide to travel to the town of X in the final chapter?
9. Do you think Chid is a sadhu?
10. Why does Olivia write to Marcia in Section 16?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)