|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
(a) The heat has subsided and monsoon season has begun.
(b) There are blue skies and no signs of rain.
(c) Constant rains make the streets too muddy to walk in.
(d) The heat remains stifling.
2. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) Husband's Wedding Day.
(b) Wives and widows.
(c) A suttee death.
(d) Baba Firdau.
3. What does Olivia request to occur after her death?
(a) That her ashes be scattered on the mountainside.
(b) That the Nawab donate her piano.
(c) That her body be buried with Douglas.
(d) That her body be returned to England.
4. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) That they were attacked and separated.
(b) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
(c) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(d) Nothing is revealed.
5. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A desert flower.
(b) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(c) A Hindu God.
(d) A loving mother.
6. When is the first time that Olivia calls the Nawab by his name?
(a) When they play the piano duet.
(b) Just before she tells him about her pregnancy.
(c) After he tells her that he is glad she is pregnant.
(d) When they add 3 red ribbons to the shrine.
7. How are Olivia's visits to the palace affected after she tells the Nawab that she is pregnant?
(a) She stops going.
(b) She spends more time with the Begum.
(c) She visits less often.
(d) She visits more often.
8. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
(a) Major Minnies.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(d) The Begum's adviser.
9. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
(a) He avoids speaking to them at all.
(b) He seems angry and speaks to them like they are beneath him.
(c) He is eager to engage them in English conversations.
(d) He seems very curious about their relationship.
10. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
(a) Douglas goes to bed very early and insists that Olivia does the same.
(b) Olivia stays up late at night and sleeps late in the morning.
(c) Douglas come to bed hours after Olivia.
(d) Olivia gets up early to make breakfast for Douglas.
11. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
(b) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
(c) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
(d) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
12. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(b) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(c) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(d) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
13. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
(a) That there is no child.
(b) That everyone will be astonished when it is born.
(c) That it is not his.
(d) That he will raise the child.
14. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
(a) On the same day she tells the Nawab.
(b) Just before he leaves for a month long trip.
(c) As they are going to a dinner at the Nawab's.
(d) After they fight about routine household matters.
15. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(a) The Begum.
(d) The Nawab.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab handles questions he does not wish to answer?
2. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
3. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
4. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
5. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)