|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
2. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
(a) She disapproves, but says we create our own misery.
(b) She approves, but says the weather is not good.
(c) She disapproves and wants the narrator to change her mind.
(d) She approves and gives the narrator a gift to help her.
3. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
(a) Convince the Nawab that the child is his.
(b) Ask the Begum about an abortion.
(c) Get her a ticket back to England.
(d) Buy her a poultice at the bazaar.
4. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
(b) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(c) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(d) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
5. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) That they were attacked and separated.
(b) Nothing is revealed.
(c) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
(d) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
6. Where does Olivia go after her abortion?
(a) To her home.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To England.
7. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
(a) By the suttee shrine.
(b) Outside the house where Olivia used to live.
(c) At the place where she takes her clothes.
(d) At the bazaar where she buys her food.
8. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
(a) She slaps him.
(b) They argue about Ritu.
(c) She kisses him and he leaves.
(d) They make love.
9. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
(a) Only when she sneaks into the ward.
(b) Rarely, and only when she can get a ride with Maji.
(c) Daily, when she visits him.
(d) Daily, when he visits her.
10. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(b) The Begum.
(c) The Nawab.
11. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To begin climbing.
(b) To have her child.
(c) To start a new chapter in her life.
(d) To grow some food.
12. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
(a) In a house in the mountains.
(b) In the palace with the Nawab.
(c) Alone in Satipur City.
(d) In England.
13. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He is assassinated.
(c) He has a stroke.
(d) He drowns.
14. How does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab handles questions he does not wish to answer?
(a) He laughs at the questioner and then the questions.
(b) He answers the question with a question.
(c) He turns the question into an accusation of the questioner.
(d) He remains silent.
15. Why does the narrator contact Chid's family?
(a) To ask for a return ticket.
(b) To ask his mother to come to his side.
(c) To tell them he is dying.
(d) To ask for money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
2. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
3. What does Olivia request to occur after her death?
4. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
5. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)