|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Section 24, why does Douglas seem to believe that Olivia travels frequently to Khatm?
(a) To accompany Beth Crawford.
(b) To visit the Begum.
(c) To visit the library.
(d) To visit Harry.
2. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(b) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(c) She has no remaining relatives.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
3. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
(a) Marcia's sister.
(b) Mrs. Saunders' cousin.
(c) Beth's sister.
(d) Harry's cousin.
4. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
(b) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(c) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(d) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
5. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
6. Who does the narrator believe is the father of the pregnant person she learns about on July 31st?
(a) Inder Lal.
(c) The mango seller from the bazaar.
(d) A sudhu.
7. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
(a) The coming monsoons.
(b) The way the valley holds the heat.
(c) The drought.
(d) The lack of cloud cover.
8. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
(a) A relaxing massage.
(b) An abortion inducing massage.
(c) Her hut.
(d) A swimming outfit.
9. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
(a) That everyone will be astonished when it is born.
(b) That it is not his.
(c) That he will raise the child.
(d) That there is no child.
10. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
(a) An uncontrollable child.
(b) A devastated mango grove.
(c) A collapsing house.
(d) A fighting husband and wife.
11. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
(a) At the bazaar where she buys her food.
(b) Outside the house where Olivia used to live.
(c) At the place where she takes her clothes.
(d) By the suttee shrine.
12. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
(a) The palace opens a pool to the public.
(b) The merchants at the bazaar are lazy and offer deals.
(c) The mangoes are very sweet.
(d) The grove plants thrive.
13. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
(b) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
(c) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
(d) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
14. Why does the narrator contact Chid's family?
(a) To ask his mother to come to his side.
(b) To tell them he is dying.
(c) To ask for money.
(d) To ask for a return ticket.
15. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(c) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
(d) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Olivia's visits to the palace affected after she tells the Nawab that she is pregnant?
2. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
3. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. What is Samadhi?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)