|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
(a) For Harry, and because she's not pregnant.
(b) For Harry, and because she thinks she is pregnant.
(c) She wants him to prevent her from getting pregnant.
(d) She wants Douglas to see the doctor because she is not pregnant.
2. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(b) That they were attacked and separated.
(c) Nothing is revealed.
(d) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
3. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
(a) He avoids speaking to them at all.
(b) He is eager to engage them in English conversations.
(c) He seems angry and speaks to them like they are beneath him.
(d) He seems very curious about their relationship.
4. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
(a) To the church garden.
(b) To the graveyard.
(c) To the village center.
(d) To the nearby shrine.
5. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
(a) He is ill.
(b) He is unable to eat solid foods.
(c) He is constantly fatigued.
(d) He is constipated.
6. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(c) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
(d) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
7. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
(a) She is having pain in her belly.
(b) She wants to become a midwife.
(c) Inder Lal is taking her on a trip.
(d) She is leaving Satipur.
8. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
(a) Tells the laundry woman about her.
(b) Immediately runs to her side.
(c) Watches her for an hour.
(d) Decides it's not her problem and ignores her.
9. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) A suttee death.
(b) Baba Firdau.
(c) Husband's Wedding Day.
(d) Wives and widows.
10. What else do Olivia and the Nawab do together on the day they first make love?
(a) Discuss naming the baby.
(b) Read poems to each other.
(c) Pick mangoes and feed each other.
(d) Tie red strings and make wishes.
11. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
(a) That he is eager to leave.
(b) That he seems nervous and tense.
(c) That his energy is much lower than it used to be.
(d) That he is reluctant to leave.
12. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A loving mother.
(b) A Hindu God.
(c) A desert flower.
(d) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
13. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
14. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(a) The Nawab.
(c) The Begum.
15. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(b) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
2. What does the narrator say that Douglas's only son becomes when he grows up?
3. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
4. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
5. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)