|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
(a) After the Nawab's death.
(b) After she leaves Douglas.
(c) After she remarries.
(d) After she has a child.
2. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(a) The Nawab.
(b) The Begum.
3. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(b) She has no remaining relatives.
(c) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
4. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
(a) They make love.
(b) They argue about Ritu.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She kisses him and he leaves.
5. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
(a) They treat her with more respect.
(b) The women treat her kindly, but the men ignore her.
(c) The men treat her kindly, but the women talk behind her back.
(d) They act as if she is unclean.
6. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In England and America.
(b) In Satipur City.
(c) In India and England.
(d) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
7. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
(a) Outside the house where Olivia used to live.
(b) By the suttee shrine.
(c) At the place where she takes her clothes.
(d) At the bazaar where she buys her food.
8. Where does the narrator plan to go in Section 36?
(a) To meet with a midwife in Satipur City.
(b) To an ashram in the mountains.
(c) To Bombay.
(d) To visit Chid.
9. Who does the Nawab have a meeting with on the day that Olivia tells him that she is pregnant?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(b) The Begum's adviser.
(d) Major Minnies.
10. Where do the narrator and Inder Lal go together in Section 25?
(a) To Baba Firdau's Shrine.
(b) To the Suttee Shrine.
(c) To a healer.
(d) To a Hindu celebration.
11. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
12. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(a) That the child is Chid's.
(b) That the child is his.
(c) That she has had an abortion.
13. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas' children in her August 20th journal entry?
(a) He has two children, but the mother is not mentioned
(b) He has one son with Tessie and no other children.
(c) He has a daughter with Olivia and a son with Tessie.
(d) He has a son with Olivia and a daugther with Tessie.
14. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
(a) Douglas keeps longer hours at the office.
(b) Douglas goes to a men's club after work.
(c) Douglas goes to the pub after work.
(d) Douglas believes she is visiting the library.
15. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To grow some food.
(b) To have her child.
(c) To begin climbing.
(d) To start a new chapter in her life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
2. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
3. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
4. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
5. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)