|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
(a) That she uses it as an outlet for her frustration.
(b) That she has much improved.
(c) That she hasn't played for a long time.
(d) That it seems to soothe the Nawab.
2. Where does the narrator plan to go in Section 36?
(a) To an ashram in the mountains.
(b) To meet with a midwife in Satipur City.
(c) To visit Chid.
(d) To Bombay.
3. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
(a) That he is reluctant to leave.
(b) That he seems nervous and tense.
(c) That his energy is much lower than it used to be.
(d) That he is eager to leave.
4. What does the narrator say that Douglas's only son becomes when he grows up?
(a) A sadhu.
(b) An antique dealer.
(c) A military soldier.
(d) A British ambassador.
5. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(b) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(c) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(d) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
6. How long does the narrator intend to stay at her proposed destination at the end of the story?
(a) Until her child is born.
(b) Until the next monsoon season.
(c) She doesn't know how long she will stay.
(d) Until she receives the ticket back to England.
7. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In India and England.
(b) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(c) In Satipur City.
(d) In England and America.
8. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
(a) Cries and begs.
(b) Takes her home.
(c) Looks into her eyes.
(d) Holds her tight.
9. Who does the narrator believe is the father of the pregnant person she learns about on July 31st?
(a) The mango seller from the bazaar.
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) A sudhu.
10. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
(a) To the church garden.
(b) To the graveyard.
(c) To the nearby shrine.
(d) To the village center.
11. Why doesn't Harry pick Olivia up anymore in Section 22?
(a) He is ill.
(b) The Nawab has forbidden him to be alone with her.
(c) He has gone to the Nawab's mountain chalet.
(d) He is now employed by the Begum.
12. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
(a) She hopes it is Douglas.
(b) She hopes it is the Nawab.
13. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is comatose.
(c) He is admitted to the hopsital.
(d) He has been released from the hospital.
14. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
(a) In the palace with the Nawab.
(b) In a house in the mountains.
(c) Alone in Satipur City.
(d) In England.
15. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
(a) He seems angry and speaks to them like they are beneath him.
(b) He is eager to engage them in English conversations.
(c) He seems very curious about their relationship.
(d) He avoids speaking to them at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
2. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
3. What environmental change is apparent in Section 32?
4. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
5. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)