|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells the narrator the old beggar woman's name?
(a) The laundry woman.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
2. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
(a) Douglas goes to the pub after work.
(b) Douglas believes she is visiting the library.
(c) Douglas goes to a men's club after work.
(d) Douglas keeps longer hours at the office.
3. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
(a) Only when she sneaks into the ward.
(b) Rarely, and only when she can get a ride with Maji.
(c) Daily, when she visits him.
(d) Daily, when he visits her.
4. What is true of Maji?
(a) She has worked as a midwife.
(b) She wants a child.
(c) She dislikes Ritu.
(d) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
5. Who interrupts Olivia's abortion?
(a) Dr. Saunders.
(b) The Nawab.
(c) The Begum.
6. Who do Harry, the Nawab, and Olivia laugh at in Section 24?
(a) Major Minnies.
(b) Dr. Saunders.
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
7. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
(b) Convinces the person to keep the baby.
(c) Skips through puddles.
(d) Buys a small gift at the bazaar.
8. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
(b) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
(c) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(d) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
9. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He has a stroke.
10. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
(a) She kisses him and he leaves.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) They make love.
(d) They argue about Ritu.
11. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
(a) The heat remains stifling.
(b) There are blue skies and no signs of rain.
(c) The heat has subsided and monsoon season has begun.
(d) Constant rains make the streets too muddy to walk in.
12. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
(a) Cries and begs.
(b) Looks into her eyes.
(c) Takes her home.
(d) Holds her tight.
13. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
14. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
(a) At the bazaar where she buys her food.
(b) Outside the house where Olivia used to live.
(c) At the place where she takes her clothes.
(d) By the suttee shrine.
15. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
(a) She ends up in a state of rapture.
(b) She wants to share it with Inder Lal.
(c) She is desperate to end it.
(d) She is uncertain about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
2. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
3. What does the doctor at the hospital ward say is wrong with Chid?
4. What do the narrator and Inder Lal do together in Section 25?
5. Where does Olivia go after her abortion?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)