|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(c) The Begum.
(d) The Nawab.
2. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
3. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
(b) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(c) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(d) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
4. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
(a) They act as if she is unclean.
(b) The women treat her kindly, but the men ignore her.
(c) The men treat her kindly, but the women talk behind her back.
(d) They treat her with more respect.
5. Who does the narrator believe is the father of the pregnant person she learns about on July 31st?
(a) The mango seller from the bazaar.
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) A sudhu.
6. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(b) That the child is Chid's.
(c) That the child is his.
(d) That she has had an abortion.
7. What does the doctor at the hospital ward say is wrong with Chid?
(b) Nothing but a weakness of character.
(c) Rapidly advancing cancer.
(d) Dysentery, and a number of other ailments.
8. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
(a) The way the valley holds the heat.
(b) The coming monsoons.
(c) The lack of cloud cover.
(d) The drought.
9. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(b) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
(c) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
(d) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
10. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
(a) With a massage.
(b) With black kohash.
(c) With alcohol and a pill.
(d) With a sharp utensil and chloroform.
11. How are Olivia's visits to the palace affected after she tells the Nawab that she is pregnant?
(a) She spends more time with the Begum.
(b) She stops going.
(c) She visits more often.
(d) She visits less often.
12. What is Samadhi?
(a) A higher state of consciousness.
(b) A body of water created by a monsoon.
(c) A glimpse of the future.
(d) The connection between a mother and her unborn child.
13. What is true of Maji?
(a) She wants a child.
(b) She has worked as a midwife.
(c) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
(d) She dislikes Ritu.
14. Why doesn't Harry pick Olivia up anymore in Section 22?
(a) He is ill.
(b) He is now employed by the Begum.
(c) The Nawab has forbidden him to be alone with her.
(d) He has gone to the Nawab's mountain chalet.
15. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(b) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
(c) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(d) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say that Douglas's only son becomes when he grows up?
2. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
3. With whom does Olivia spend her Sundays?
4. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
5. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)