|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
(a) She disapproves, but says we create our own misery.
(b) She approves, but says the weather is not good.
(c) She disapproves and wants the narrator to change her mind.
(d) She approves and gives the narrator a gift to help her.
2. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
(a) Buy her a poultice at the bazaar.
(b) Get her a ticket back to England.
(c) Convince the Nawab that the child is his.
(d) Ask the Begum about an abortion.
3. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) Wives and widows.
(b) A suttee death.
(c) Baba Firdau.
(d) Husband's Wedding Day.
4. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
(a) To the monsoon pond in the village center.
(b) To tie strings at the shrine.
(c) To Maji's hut.
(d) To visit Ritu.
5. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
(b) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
(c) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
(d) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
6. Who does the narrator believe is the father of the pregnant person she learns about on July 31st?
(a) A sudhu.
(b) Inder Lal.
(c) The mango seller from the bazaar.
7. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(b) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
(c) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(d) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
8. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(b) In England and America.
(c) In Satipur City.
(d) In India and England.
9. What does the narrator report in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) She has shaved her head.
(b) She is very ill.
(c) She is followed by a woman.
(d) She cannot eat mangoes without getting sick.
10. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He drowns.
(c) He is assassinated.
(d) He has a stroke.
11. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(c) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
(d) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
12. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A desert flower.
(b) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(c) A Hindu God.
(d) A loving mother.
13. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
(a) He is constantly fatigued.
(b) He is constipated.
(c) He is unable to eat solid foods.
(d) He is ill.
14. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
(a) In Olivia and Douglas's room.
(b) In the palace garden.
(c) In the grove by Baba Firdau's shrine.
(d) In his private quarters at the palace.
15. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
(a) Olivia gets up early to make breakfast for Douglas.
(b) Douglas come to bed hours after Olivia.
(c) Douglas goes to bed very early and insists that Olivia does the same.
(d) Olivia stays up late at night and sleeps late in the morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
2. Harry once again accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia after having been absent due to his illness. What does Olivia notice about his behavior on his first reappearance?
3. What do the narrator and Inder Lal do together in Section 25?
4. What does the narrator say that Douglas's only son becomes when he grows up?
5. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)