|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
(c) The narrator's.
(d) Inder Lal's mother's.
2. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
(a) The heat has subsided and monsoon season has begun.
(b) There are blue skies and no signs of rain.
(c) The heat remains stifling.
(d) Constant rains make the streets too muddy to walk in.
3. How are Olivia's visits to the palace affected after she tells the Nawab that she is pregnant?
(a) She stops going.
(b) She spends more time with the Begum.
(c) She visits more often.
(d) She visits less often.
4. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(b) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(c) She has no remaining relatives.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
5. What does the narrator report in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) She has shaved her head.
(c) She is followed by a woman.
(d) She cannot eat mangoes without getting sick.
6. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
(a) They argue about Ritu.
(b) They make love.
(c) She kisses him and he leaves.
(d) She slaps him.
7. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
(a) To the graveyard.
(b) To the church garden.
(c) To the village center.
(d) To the nearby shrine.
8. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In India and England.
(b) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(c) In England and America.
(d) In Satipur City.
9. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
(a) That everyone will be astonished when it is born.
(b) That it is not his.
(c) That he will raise the child.
(d) That there is no child.
10. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To begin climbing.
(b) To start a new chapter in her life.
(c) To have her child.
(d) To grow some food.
11. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
(a) She never speaks; she holds out her hands when hungry.
(b) She is crippled and sits on a low platform with wheels.
(c) She sings throughout the day to earn money from passersby.
(d) She is blind and wears a band over her eyes.
12. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
(a) He is ill.
(b) He is constipated.
(c) He is unable to eat solid foods.
(d) He is constantly fatigued.
13. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
(a) He is dying.
(b) He is admitted to the hopsital.
(c) He is comatose.
(d) He has been released from the hospital.
14. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
(c) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
(d) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
15. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
(a) The palace opens a pool to the public.
(b) The grove plants thrive.
(c) The mangoes are very sweet.
(d) The merchants at the bazaar are lazy and offer deals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
2. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
3. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
4. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
5. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)