|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(b) She has no remaining relatives.
(c) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
2. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
3. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(a) That she has had an abortion.
(b) That the child is his.
(d) That the child is Chid's.
4. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
(a) He has been released from the hospital.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is comatose.
(d) He is admitted to the hopsital.
5. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
(a) The mangoes are very sweet.
(b) The merchants at the bazaar are lazy and offer deals.
(c) The palace opens a pool to the public.
(d) The grove plants thrive.
6. What does the doctor at the hospital ward say is wrong with Chid?
(a) Dysentery, and a number of other ailments.
(b) Nothing but a weakness of character.
(d) Rapidly advancing cancer.
7. Who tells the narrator the old beggar woman's name?
(b) The laundry woman.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
8. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
9. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(b) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(c) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
(d) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
10. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
(a) Her hut.
(b) An abortion inducing massage.
(c) A relaxing massage.
(d) A swimming outfit.
11. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
(a) She is uncertain about it.
(b) She is desperate to end it.
(c) She ends up in a state of rapture.
(d) She wants to share it with Inder Lal.
12. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He kills himself.
(d) He is assassinated.
13. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
(a) To the graveyard.
(b) To the village center.
(c) To the nearby shrine.
(d) To the church garden.
14. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
(b) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(c) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(d) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
15. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
(b) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
(c) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
(d) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
2. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
3. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
4. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
5. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)