|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
(b) She hopes it is Douglas.
(c) She hopes it is the Nawab.
2. Where does the narrator take a room in the final chapter?
(a) In town X, in the Himalayas.
(b) In Maji's hut.
(c) In her grandmother's town.
(d) In the mountain house where Olivia last lived.
3. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
(a) Just before he leaves for a month long trip.
(b) As they are going to a dinner at the Nawab's.
(c) On the same day she tells the Nawab.
(d) After they fight about routine household matters.
4. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
(a) She wants Douglas to see the doctor because she is not pregnant.
(b) For Harry, and because she's not pregnant.
(c) For Harry, and because she thinks she is pregnant.
(d) She wants him to prevent her from getting pregnant.
5. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
(a) He is being tested by God.
(b) He can't stand the smell of the ward.
(c) His unfulfilled spirit is dying.
(d) He caught a disease from a woman on the pilgrimage.
6. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
(a) They treat her with more respect.
(b) The men treat her kindly, but the women talk behind her back.
(c) The women treat her kindly, but the men ignore her.
(d) They act as if she is unclean.
7. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In India and England.
(b) In Satipur City.
(c) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(d) In England and America.
8. Where do the narrator and Inder Lal go together in Section 25?
(a) To a Hindu celebration.
(b) To the Suttee Shrine.
(c) To Baba Firdau's Shrine.
(d) To a healer.
9. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
(b) Convinces the person to keep the baby.
(c) Skips through puddles.
(d) Buys a small gift at the bazaar.
10. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(b) That they were attacked and separated.
(c) Nothing is revealed.
(d) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
11. Who offers to perform an abortion for the pregnant person on July 31st?
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
12. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
(a) In the palace with the Nawab.
(b) In England.
(c) In a house in the mountains.
(d) Alone in Satipur City.
13. Where is Chid at the end of Section 30?
(a) He is back at the narrator's room.
(b) In the hospital ward.
(c) He has left, but no one knows where he is.
(d) Dead, and his body awaits cremation.
14. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
(a) Watches her for an hour.
(b) Immediately runs to her side.
(c) Decides it's not her problem and ignores her.
(d) Tells the laundry woman about her.
15. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
(a) He is admitted to the hopsital.
(b) He is comatose.
(c) He has been released from the hospital.
(d) He is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator reveal about Douglas' children in her August 20th journal entry?
2. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
3. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
4. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
5. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)