|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Olivia spend her Sundays?
(a) Beth Crawford.
(d) The Nawab.
2. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
(a) The women treat her kindly, but the men ignore her.
(b) They treat her with more respect.
(c) They act as if she is unclean.
(d) The men treat her kindly, but the women talk behind her back.
3. Why does the narrator contact Chid's family?
(a) To ask for money.
(b) To ask his mother to come to his side.
(c) To ask for a return ticket.
(d) To tell them he is dying.
4. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In Satipur City.
(b) In India and England.
(c) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(d) In England and America.
5. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
(a) Tells the laundry woman about her.
(b) Immediately runs to her side.
(c) Decides it's not her problem and ignores her.
(d) Watches her for an hour.
6. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(c) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
(d) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
7. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
(b) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(c) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(d) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
8. Who does the narrator learn is pregnant on July 31st?
(a) Inder Lal's niece.
9. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
(b) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(c) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
(d) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
10. What is true of Maji?
(a) She wants a child.
(b) She dislikes Ritu.
(c) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
(d) She has worked as a midwife.
11. How does the Nawab die?
(a) He is assassinated.
(b) He has a stroke.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He kills himself.
12. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
(b) Major Saunders.
13. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
(a) In Olivia and Douglas's room.
(b) In the grove by Baba Firdau's shrine.
(c) In the palace garden.
(d) In his private quarters at the palace.
14. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
(a) She wants him to prevent her from getting pregnant.
(b) For Harry, and because she thinks she is pregnant.
(c) For Harry, and because she's not pregnant.
(d) She wants Douglas to see the doctor because she is not pregnant.
15. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
(a) The Begum.
(b) The Nawab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is true of the schedule that Olivia and Douglas keep in Section 24?
2. What environmental change is apparent in Section 32?
3. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
4. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
5. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)