|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who interrupts Olivia's abortion?
(b) The Nawab.
(c) The Begum.
(d) Dr. Saunders.
2. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
(a) The coming monsoons.
(b) The way the valley holds the heat.
(c) The drought.
(d) The lack of cloud cover.
3. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
(a) He is constantly fatigued.
(b) He is constipated.
(c) He is unable to eat solid foods.
(d) He is ill.
4. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
(a) An abortion inducing massage.
(b) Her hut.
(c) A swimming outfit.
(d) A relaxing massage.
5. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
(a) That it is not his.
(b) That everyone will be astonished when it is born.
(c) That he will raise the child.
(d) That there is no child.
6. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
(a) Marcia's sister.
(b) Beth's sister.
(c) Mrs. Saunders' cousin.
(d) Harry's cousin.
7. Where does the narrator plan to go in Section 36?
(a) To meet with a midwife in Satipur City.
(b) To visit Chid.
(c) To Bombay.
(d) To an ashram in the mountains.
8. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
(a) Daily, when she visits him.
(b) Only when she sneaks into the ward.
(c) Daily, when he visits her.
(d) Rarely, and only when she can get a ride with Maji.
9. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
(a) To the nearby shrine.
(b) To the church garden.
(c) To the village center.
(d) To the graveyard.
10. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
(a) He is eager to engage them in English conversations.
(b) He seems very curious about their relationship.
(c) He seems angry and speaks to them like they are beneath him.
(d) He avoids speaking to them at all.
11. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
(a) As they are going to a dinner at the Nawab's.
(b) After they fight about routine household matters.
(c) On the same day she tells the Nawab.
(d) Just before he leaves for a month long trip.
12. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
(a) To the monsoon pond in the village center.
(b) To visit Ritu.
(c) To Maji's hut.
(d) To tie strings at the shrine.
13. What does the narrator do when she first wonders if the beggar woman she sees in Section 23 is dead?
(a) Decides it's not her problem and ignores her.
(b) Immediately runs to her side.
(c) Tells the laundry woman about her.
(d) Watches her for an hour.
14. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
(a) She is desperate to end it.
(b) She wants to share it with Inder Lal.
(c) She is uncertain about it.
(d) She ends up in a state of rapture.
15. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(b) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(c) She has no remaining relatives.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Section 24, why does Douglas seem to believe that Olivia travels frequently to Khatm?
2. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
3. How does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab handles questions he does not wish to answer?
4. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
5. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)