|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
(a) The coming monsoons.
(b) The drought.
(c) The lack of cloud cover.
(d) The way the valley holds the heat.
2. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
(a) After she remarries.
(b) After she leaves Douglas.
(c) After the Nawab's death.
(d) After she has a child.
3. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Saunders.
4. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
(a) He is being tested by God.
(b) He can't stand the smell of the ward.
(c) He caught a disease from a woman on the pilgrimage.
(d) His unfulfilled spirit is dying.
5. What does the narrator compare Maji to in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) A bitter, but healing, medicine.
(b) A desert flower.
(c) A Hindu God.
(d) A loving mother.
6. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(b) Nothing is revealed.
(c) That they were attacked and separated.
(d) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
7. Who does the narrator learn is pregnant on July 31st?
(d) Inder Lal's niece.
8. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
9. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
(a) With alcohol and a pill.
(b) With a massage.
(c) With black kohash.
(d) With a sharp utensil and chloroform.
10. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
(a) Convince the Nawab that the child is his.
(b) Get her a ticket back to England.
(c) Ask the Begum about an abortion.
(d) Buy her a poultice at the bazaar.
11. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
(a) She is desperate to end it.
(b) She is uncertain about it.
(c) She wants to share it with Inder Lal.
(d) She ends up in a state of rapture.
12. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
(c) Inder Lal's mother's.
(d) The narrator's.
13. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
(a) A swimming outfit.
(b) A relaxing massage.
(c) An abortion inducing massage.
(d) Her hut.
14. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
(a) She is stripped and covered with a sheet.
(b) She wears a burka and is led down a dark alley.
(c) She is blindfolded and taken to a small room.
(d) She is met by an older woman who doesn't speak.
15. Why is the beggar woman who the narrator brings to the hospital living on the streets?
(a) Her husband divorced her and kicked her out of the home.
(b) She was evicted by her family after her husband died.
(c) She has no remaining relatives.
(d) No one knows where she comes from.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
2. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
3. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
4. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
5. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)