|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Samadhi?
(a) The connection between a mother and her unborn child.
(b) A glimpse of the future.
(c) A body of water created by a monsoon.
(d) A higher state of consciousness.
2. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(b) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
(c) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(d) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
3. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
(a) She hopes it is Douglas.
(c) She hopes it is the Nawab.
4. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(b) Major Saunders.
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
5. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) Nothing is revealed.
(b) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(c) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
(d) That they were attacked and separated.
6. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
(a) After the Nawab's death.
(b) After she remarries.
(c) After she leaves Douglas.
(d) After she has a child.
7. Where is Chid at the end of Section 30?
(a) He has left, but no one knows where he is.
(b) He is back at the narrator's room.
(c) Dead, and his body awaits cremation.
(d) In the hospital ward.
8. What does Chid say is wrong with him when he is in the hospital ward?
(a) He is being tested by God.
(b) He can't stand the smell of the ward.
(c) He caught a disease from a woman on the pilgrimage.
(d) His unfulfilled spirit is dying.
9. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
(a) Looks into her eyes.
(b) Takes her home.
(c) Cries and begs.
(d) Holds her tight.
10. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
(a) He is comatose.
(b) He is dying.
(c) He is admitted to the hopsital.
(d) He has been released from the hospital.
11. What environmental change is apparent in Section 32?
(a) Plants and crops are withering.
(b) The heavy dust is replaced by water.
(c) There are locusts everywhere.
(d) The monsoons have stopped.
12. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
(a) To a banquet in the Nawab's honor.
(b) To the palace garden.
(c) To a celebration for the fertility goddess.
(d) To Baba Firdau's Shrine and the grove.
13. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
(a) In the palace garden.
(b) In the grove by Baba Firdau's shrine.
(c) In his private quarters at the palace.
(d) In Olivia and Douglas's room.
14. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To start a new chapter in her life.
(b) To grow some food.
(c) To have her child.
(d) To begin climbing.
15. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
(a) She never speaks; she holds out her hands when hungry.
(b) She is crippled and sits on a low platform with wheels.
(c) She is blind and wears a band over her eyes.
(d) She sings throughout the day to earn money from passersby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
2. What is true of the weather in Section 23?
3. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
4. What else do Olivia and the Nawab do together on the day they first make love?
5. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)