|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
(a) She wears a burka and is led down a dark alley.
(b) She is blindfolded and taken to a small room.
(c) She is stripped and covered with a sheet.
(d) She is met by an older woman who doesn't speak.
2. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
3. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) A suttee death.
(b) Wives and widows.
(c) Husband's Wedding Day.
(d) Baba Firdau.
4. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(b) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(c) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
(d) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
5. How long does the narrator intend to stay at her proposed destination at the end of the story?
(a) Until the next monsoon season.
(b) Until she receives the ticket back to England.
(c) She doesn't know how long she will stay.
(d) Until her child is born.
6. How does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab handles questions he does not wish to answer?
(a) He answers the question with a question.
(b) He remains silent.
(c) He turns the question into an accusation of the questioner.
(d) He laughs at the questioner and then the questions.
7. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(b) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(c) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(d) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
8. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
(a) With a sharp utensil and chloroform.
(b) With black kohash.
(c) With alcohol and a pill.
(d) With a massage.
9. In whose arms does the old beggar woman die?
(a) Inder Lal's mother's.
(b) The narrator's.
10. What is true of Maji?
(a) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
(b) She dislikes Ritu.
(c) She has worked as a midwife.
(d) She wants a child.
11. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In Satipur City.
(b) In India and England.
(c) In England and America.
(d) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
12. Who do Harry, the Nawab, and Olivia laugh at in Section 24?
(a) Major Minnies.
(b) Dr. Saunders.
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
13. Where does the narrator go on her way to the bazaar on August 31st?
(a) To tie strings at the shrine.
(b) To Maji's hut.
(c) To visit Ritu.
(d) To the monsoon pond in the village center.
14. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To start a new chapter in her life.
(b) To have her child.
(c) To begin climbing.
(d) To grow some food.
15. In Section 25, what happens between Inder Lal and the narrator on their outing together?
(a) They argue about Ritu.
(b) They make love.
(c) She kisses him and he leaves.
(d) She slaps him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the doctor at the hospital ward say is wrong with Chid?
2. Where do Olivia and Douglas go when they walk together in the evenings?
3. What environmental change is apparent in Section 32?
4. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
5. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)