|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Olivia goes to have an abortion?
(a) She is met by an older woman who doesn't speak.
(b) She is blindfolded and taken to a small room.
(c) She wears a burka and is led down a dark alley.
(d) She is stripped and covered with a sheet.
2. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(a) That the child is his.
(b) That she has had an abortion.
(d) That the child is Chid's.
3. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) Wives and widows.
(b) Baba Firdau.
(c) Husband's Wedding Day.
(d) A suttee death.
4. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
(a) Daily, when he visits her.
(b) Daily, when she visits him.
(c) Rarely, and only when she can get a ride with Maji.
(d) Only when she sneaks into the ward.
5. Why, in Section 24, does Olivia cease to hurry home after her visits to the palace?
(a) Douglas keeps longer hours at the office.
(b) Douglas goes to a men's club after work.
(c) Douglas believes she is visiting the library.
(d) Douglas goes to the pub after work.
6. How do the people at the hospital ward react to the narrator after she empties the bed pan of the man in the bed next to Chid?
(a) The men treat her kindly, but the women talk behind her back.
(b) They treat her with more respect.
(c) They act as if she is unclean.
(d) The women treat her kindly, but the men ignore her.
7. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
(a) On the same day she tells the Nawab.
(b) Just before he leaves for a month long trip.
(c) As they are going to a dinner at the Nawab's.
(d) After they fight about routine household matters.
8. How do the midwives perform Olivia's abortion?
(a) With a sharp utensil and chloroform.
(b) With a massage.
(c) With black kohash.
(d) With alcohol and a pill.
9. Who interrupts Olivia's abortion?
(a) The Nawab.
(c) Dr. Saunders.
(d) The Begum.
10. Why does the narrator say she is anxious for the seasons to change at the end of the story?
(a) To have her child.
(b) To begin climbing.
(c) To grow some food.
(d) To start a new chapter in her life.
11. What does Maji offer the narrator in Section 33?
(a) A relaxing massage.
(b) An abortion inducing massage.
(c) A swimming outfit.
(d) Her hut.
12. Where does the narrator take a room in the final chapter?
(a) In town X, in the Himalayas.
(b) In her grandmother's town.
(c) In the mountain house where Olivia last lived.
(d) In Maji's hut.
13. Where does the narrator plan to go in Section 36?
(a) To visit Chid.
(b) To meet with a midwife in Satipur City.
(c) To Bombay.
(d) To an ashram in the mountains.
14. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
(a) She hopes it is Douglas.
(c) She hopes it is the Nawab.
15. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
(a) That she uses it as an outlet for her frustration.
(b) That she has much improved.
(c) That it seems to soothe the Nawab.
(d) That she hasn't played for a long time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
2. What is true of Maji?
3. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
4. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
5. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)