|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is noticeable about the beggar woman that the narrator notices and ends up helping?
(a) She is crippled and sits on a low platform with wheels.
(b) She never speaks; she holds out her hands when hungry.
(c) She sings throughout the day to earn money from passersby.
(d) She is blind and wears a band over her eyes.
2. Where does the narrator say that Douglas's only son grows up?
(a) In India and England.
(b) In Satipur City.
(c) With Olivia in a Himalayan town.
(d) In England and America.
3. What do the narrator and Inder Lal do together in Section 25?
(a) Have a picnic.
(b) Buy medicine for Ritu.
(c) Collect seeds for planting.
(d) Pick mangoes.
4. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
(a) A devastated mango grove.
(b) A fighting husband and wife.
(c) An uncontrollable child.
(d) A collapsing house.
5. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Saunders.
6. What does the Nawab joke about on the day that he and Olivia make love for the first time?
(a) A suttee death.
(b) Wives and widows.
(c) Baba Firdau.
(d) Husband's Wedding Day.
7. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) That they were attacked and separated.
(b) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
(c) Nothing is revealed.
(d) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
8. What does Olivia seem to feel about determining the father of her child in Section 29?
(b) She hopes it is the Nawab.
(c) She hopes it is Douglas.
9. What does the narrator report in her August 31st journal entry?
(a) She has shaved her head.
(b) She cannot eat mangoes without getting sick.
(c) She is very ill.
(d) She is followed by a woman.
10. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
(a) He is jealous of the time Chid spends with the narrator.
(b) He is angry at Chid for returning.
(c) He is initially shy in Chid's presence.
(d) He receives him like a long lost brother.
11. With whom does Olivia spend her Sundays?
(c) Beth Crawford.
(d) The Nawab.
12. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(b) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
(c) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
(d) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
13. How does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab handles questions he does not wish to answer?
(a) He remains silent.
(b) He laughs at the questioner and then the questions.
(c) He answers the question with a question.
(d) He turns the question into an accusation of the questioner.
14. Where is Chid at the end of Section 30?
(a) He is back at the narrator's room.
(b) He has left, but no one knows where he is.
(c) In the hospital ward.
(d) Dead, and his body awaits cremation.
15. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
(a) She wants to become a midwife.
(b) She is leaving Satipur.
(c) She is having pain in her belly.
(d) Inder Lal is taking her on a trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Harry pick Olivia up anymore in Section 22?
2. Who becomes Douglas's second wife?
3. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
4. Who does Olivia first tell about her pregnancy?
5. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)