|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
(a) To a banquet in the Nawab's honor.
(b) To a celebration for the fertility goddess.
(c) To Baba Firdau's Shrine and the grove.
(d) To the palace garden.
2. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
(a) Buys a small gift at the bazaar.
(b) Skips through puddles.
(d) Convinces the person to keep the baby.
3. What is learned about Chid's separation from Ritu on her pilgrimage when he returns to the narrator's room without her?
(a) That they were attacked and separated.
(b) Chid left them at a shrine when he converted.
(c) Chid abandoned the women halfway there.
(d) Nothing is revealed.
4. Where do the narrator and Inder Lal go together in Section 25?
(a) To a Hindu celebration.
(b) To a healer.
(c) To Baba Firdau's Shrine.
(d) To the Suttee Shrine.
5. What does Dr. Saunders express after learning about Olivia's induced "miscarriage"?
6. Who do Harry, the Nawab, and Olivia laugh at in Section 24?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
(b) Dr. Saunders.
(d) Major Minnies.
7. When does Olivia cease writing letters to Marcia?
(a) After she remarries.
(b) After she has a child.
(c) After the Nawab's death.
(d) After she leaves Douglas.
8. Who interrupts Olivia's abortion?
(b) The Begum.
(c) The Nawab.
(d) Dr. Saunders.
9. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
(a) For Harry, and because she thinks she is pregnant.
(b) For Harry, and because she's not pregnant.
(c) She wants Douglas to see the doctor because she is not pregnant.
(d) She wants him to prevent her from getting pregnant.
10. What does the narrator tell Maji in the final section of the novel?
(a) Inder Lal is taking her on a trip.
(b) She wants to become a midwife.
(c) She is having pain in her belly.
(d) She is leaving Satipur.
11. Why does the narrator contact Chid's family?
(a) To ask for a return ticket.
(b) To ask for money.
(c) To tell them he is dying.
(d) To ask his mother to come to his side.
12. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(a) That the child is his.
(b) That the child is Chid's.
(c) That she has had an abortion.
13. How are Satipur and Ktahm described in Section 34?
14. Where does the narrator first notice the beggar woman in Section 23?
(a) At the place where she takes her clothes.
(b) At the bazaar where she buys her food.
(c) By the suttee shrine.
(d) Outside the house where Olivia used to live.
15. What do the midwives discuss when Olivia first arrives?
(a) A collapsing house.
(b) A devastated mango grove.
(c) An uncontrollable child.
(d) A fighting husband and wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Olivia and the Nawab first become lovers?
2. What is Chid's status in Section 30?
3. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
4. Who does the narrator learn is pregnant on July 31st?
5. What does the person who interrupts Olivia's abortion do?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)