|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(b) Disappointed, because she wants children.
(c) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
(d) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
2. On the first day after Harry's recovery that he accompanies the Nawab to pick up Olivia, where do Olivia and the Nawab go?
(a) To a celebration for the fertility goddess.
(b) To Baba Firdau's Shrine and the grove.
(c) To a banquet in the Nawab's honor.
(d) To the palace garden.
3. What is true of Maji?
(a) She has worked as a midwife.
(b) She once lost a 5-year-old child.
(c) She wants a child.
(d) She dislikes Ritu.
4. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
(b) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
(c) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
(d) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
5. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(a) That she has had an abortion.
(b) That the child is his.
(c) That the child is Chid's.
6. What does Olivia request to occur after her death?
(a) That her body be returned to England.
(b) That her ashes be scattered on the mountainside.
(c) That her body be buried with Douglas.
(d) That the Nawab donate her piano.
7. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
(b) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(c) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
(d) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
8. How are Olivia's visits to the palace affected after she tells the Nawab that she is pregnant?
(a) She visits less often.
(b) She stops going.
(c) She spends more time with the Begum.
(d) She visits more often.
9. Describe Chid's health upon his August 15th return.
(a) He is constipated.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He is constantly fatigued.
(d) He is unable to eat solid foods.
10. What does Maji say about the narrator's plans in the last section of the story?
(a) She disapproves and wants the narrator to change her mind.
(b) She approves, but says the weather is not good.
(c) She disapproves, but says we create our own misery.
(d) She approves and gives the narrator a gift to help her.
11. With whom does Olivia spend her Sundays?
(b) The Nawab.
(d) Beth Crawford.
12. Who does the narrator learn is pregnant on July 31st?
(d) Inder Lal's niece.
13. Why does Olivia ask Harry to do her the favor in Section 32?
(a) She wants to have the baby away from both men.
(b) She wants the Begum to embrace her child.
(c) She wants to cure her morning sickness.
(d) This is the first time she is worried about the baby's appearance.
14. Where do the narrator and Inder Lal go together in Section 25?
(a) To a healer.
(b) To the Suttee Shrine.
(c) To a Hindu celebration.
(d) To Baba Firdau's Shrine.
15. What does the narrator say that Douglas's only son becomes when he grows up?
(a) An antique dealer.
(b) A British ambassador.
(c) A sadhu.
(d) A military soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry tell Olivia that the Nawab says about her baby?
2. How does Inder Lal react to Chid's reappearance in Section 28?
3. Who tells the narrator the old beggar woman's name?
4. In Section 24, why does Douglas seem to believe that Olivia travels frequently to Khatm?
5. Where does Olivia live after leaving Douglas?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)