|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Harry and Olivia quarrel about in Section 22?
(a) Harry wants Olivia to run away with him.
(b) Harry wants Olivia to tell Douglas about her time with the Nawab.
(c) Harry says Olivia shouldn't visit the palace.
(d) Olivia believes that Harry is going to tell Douglas about the time she spends with the Nawab.
2. What accounts for the intensely hot weather in Section 25?
(a) The drought.
(b) The way the valley holds the heat.
(c) The coming monsoons.
(d) The lack of cloud cover.
3. Where does the narrator take a room in the final chapter?
(a) In the mountain house where Olivia last lived.
(b) In town X, in the Himalayas.
(c) In Maji's hut.
(d) In her grandmother's town.
4. Where does Olivia go after her abortion?
(a) To England.
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To her home.
(d) To the palace.
5. How does Olivia feel about the fact that she is not yet pregnant in Section 22?
(a) Concerned, because she is afraid there is something wrong with her.
(b) Relieved; she never really wanted to have children.
(c) Relieved, as she wants to leave Douglas.
(d) Disappointed, because she wants children.
6. How often and when does the narrator see Chid in Section 31?
(a) Rarely, and only when she can get a ride with Maji.
(b) Daily, when she visits him.
(c) Daily, when he visits her.
(d) Only when she sneaks into the ward.
7. How does the narrator feel about her pregnancy when she visits Maji's hut?
(a) She ends up in a state of rapture.
(b) She is desperate to end it.
(c) She wants to share it with Inder Lal.
(d) She is uncertain about it.
8. What does the narrator tell Inder Lal about her pregnancy upon Chid's return?
(b) That the child is Chid's.
(c) That the child is his.
(d) That she has had an abortion.
9. Who warns Olivia that "they" only want to "you-know-what with a white woman"?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Saunders.
10. What does Olivia ask Harry to do in Section 32?
(a) Convince the Nawab that the child is his.
(b) Buy her a poultice at the bazaar.
(c) Ask the Begum about an abortion.
(d) Get her a ticket back to England.
11. How does Olivia feel about her pregnancy in Section 32?
(a) She feels her pregancy can heal her marriage.
(b) She wants to be pregnant, but feels her baby is not safe in India.
(c) She is sick daily, but still happy to be pregnant.
(d) She no longer wants to be pregnant.
12. How does the narrator feel about Inder Lal, according to her August 15th journal entry?
(a) She resents his treatment of Ritu.
(b) She is confused by him and their relationship.
(c) She is annoyed by his constant presence.
(d) She enjoys his company when they are alone.
13. How does the doctor at the hospital ward respond to Chid and the narrator?
(a) He seems very curious about their relationship.
(b) He seems angry and speaks to them like they are beneath him.
(c) He avoids speaking to them at all.
(d) He is eager to engage them in English conversations.
14. Why does Olivia want to consult Dr. Saunders in Section 24?
(a) She wants him to prevent her from getting pregnant.
(b) For Harry, and because she's not pregnant.
(c) For Harry, and because she thinks she is pregnant.
(d) She wants Douglas to see the doctor because she is not pregnant.
15. Where does the narrator plan to go in Section 36?
(a) To Bombay.
(b) To visit Chid.
(c) To meet with a midwife in Satipur City.
(d) To an ashram in the mountains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator do on the way back to her room after learning of the pregnancy in Section 23?
2. What does Olivia mention about her piano playing in Section 26?
3. When is the first time that Olivia calls the Nawab by his name?
4. What is one benefit of the hotter weather in Section 25?
5. When does she tell Douglas that she is pregnant?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)