|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(a) Inder Lal.
(c) The village women.
2. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Help older widows.
(b) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(c) Sing and pray.
(d) Share food and have a good time.
3. How does Chid explain Ritu's screams?
(a) He says she is being treated by special infusions of a certain drug.
(b) He says this is her punishment for her sins.
(c) He says this is the best path for her to find enlightenment.
(d) He says she is being treated with red hot irons on her hands and feet.
4. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) What to bring to the prince.
(b) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(c) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(d) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
5. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
(a) Simple and peaceful.
(b) Enclosed by arches and dark.
(c) Crumbling to the ground.
(d) Gilt with gold and very ornate.
6. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(c) An anonymous source.
7. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Psychiatric treatment.
(b) Having Ritu stay with her.
(c) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
(d) Evicting Chid.
8. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Slaps the person in the face.
(b) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
(c) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(d) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
9. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(d) Inder Lal.
10. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(b) He does not want to leave his mother.
(c) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(d) He has his own berth arranged.
11. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are bitter enemies.
(d) They are sisters.
12. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a well where the women gather.
(b) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(c) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(d) To the suttee shrine.
13. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
14. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
(a) She finds it unbearable.
(b) It's just another background noise.
(c) It lulls her to sleep.
(d) She finds it peaceful
15. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(b) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(c) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
(d) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
2. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
3. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
4. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
5. Why does Major Minnies consider "Husband's Wedding Day" a problem?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)