|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the narrator and Chid appear in Satipur?
(a) They stand out.
(b) They are revered like prophets.
(c) They blend in.
(d) They are ignored and treated like ghosts.
2. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
(b) An English girl the narrator meets at an old bungalow.
(c) The wife of the major at the Nawab's dinner party.
(d) Beth Crawford.
3. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
(a) Both are in disrepair.
(b) One is black and the other is white.
(c) Both are well-maintained.
(d) One is a baby grand, the other is a child-sized spinnet.
4. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It houses a post office substation.
(b) It has been torn down.
(c) It is for sale.
(d) It is condemned.
5. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Quiet as a mouse.
(b) Noisy and clumsy.
(c) Lazy and messy.
(d) Helpful and unobtrusive.
6. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In a room above the saloon.
(b) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(c) In a room above a cloth shop.
(d) In the A's Hotel.
7. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
(a) He goes to her side to try and calm her immediately.
(b) He is unaffected.
(c) He cries and chants.
(d) He covers his ears and tells her to shut up.
8. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
(a) She feels she must find a spiritual calling, or is doomed.
(b) She does not feel any spiritual calling.
(c) She doesn't understand it, but feels pulled by a higher power.
(d) She felt called to come to India to pursue a higher calling.
9. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
(a) It is cheaper and cooler.
(b) She wants to fit in.
(c) It is feminine and alluring.
(d) Her suitcase of clothing is stolen.
10. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(c) Her journal.
(d) His drinking cup.
11. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(b) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
(c) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
(d) That she will fit in effortlessly.
12. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(c) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
13. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(d) An anonymous source.
14. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
(b) Maji and the narrator.
(c) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
(d) The narrator and Chid.
15. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She lost her husband.
(b) She lost a child.
(c) She has malaria.
(d) She has dysentery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
2. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
3. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
4. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
5. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)