|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
(a) It is feminine and alluring.
(b) She wants to fit in.
(c) It is cheaper and cooler.
(d) Her suitcase of clothing is stolen.
2. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(b) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(c) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
(d) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
3. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(b) Sing and pray.
(c) Share food and have a good time.
(d) Help older widows.
4. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(b) Hide and go seek.
(c) The Begum.
(d) Musical chairs.
5. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
6. What best describes the natural elements in Satipur according to the narrator's April 25th journal entry?
(a) There are blooming flowers and gentle breezes.
(b) There is constant rain and a lack of sun.
(c) There are dust storms and hot winds.
(d) Plants and crops are dying.
7. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
(a) Mrs. Crawford.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) Major Minnies.
(d) The Nawab.
8. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
9. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
(a) Her journal, Tessie's diary and a Hindi grammar book.
(b) Olivia's letters and the map to the palace.
(c) Olivia's letters, her journal and a Hindi grammar book.
(d) Olivia's letters, her journal and a guide to India.
10. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She lost a child.
(b) She lost her husband.
(c) She has malaria.
(d) She has dysentery.
11. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
12. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Noisy and clumsy.
(b) Lazy and messy.
(c) Helpful and unobtrusive.
(d) Quiet as a mouse.
13. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(b) He does not want to leave his mother.
(c) He has his own berth arranged.
(d) He does not want to leave Olivia.
14. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) The Nawab.
(c) Mr. Crawford.
(d) Mr. Saunders.
15. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(b) It is believed to be a place of healing.
(c) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(d) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
2. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
3. What does Chid wear?
4. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
5. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)