|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
2. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) A missionary.
(b) The hotel owner.
3. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
4. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is believed to be a place of healing.
(b) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(c) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
(d) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
5. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(b) Her journal.
(d) His drinking cup.
6. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
(b) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
(c) Maji and the narrator.
(d) The narrator and Chid.
7. What does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford about his mother in Section 15?
(a) He wants to visit her but the Nawab won't permit it.
(b) She has dysentery.
(c) She has special visions.
(d) He visits her in Khatm every week.
8. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(a) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) A psychiatrist.
9. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(b) Something in Olivia's letters.
(c) A loud groaning.
(d) Something she read at the library.
10. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) In Khatm.
(b) Next to the suttee shrine.
(c) In Satipur.
(d) On palace grounds.
11. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(b) Olivia makes him leave.
(c) The Nawab comes to get him.
(d) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
12. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
13. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
(a) He believes that evil spirits cannot enter a virtuous person.
(b) He does not believe in evil spirits.
(c) He believes that evil spirits are all around us.
(d) He does not believe in any type of God or spirits.
14. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
(a) The fire made it unlivable.
(b) The Begum doesn't like it.
(c) He was forbidden to return after that first visit.
(d) It holds bitter memories for the Nawab.
15. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(b) The village women.
(c) Inder Lal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
2. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
3. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
4. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
5. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)