|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It is for sale.
(b) It has been torn down.
(c) It is condemned.
(d) It houses a post office substation.
2. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) She never sees it.
(b) It is simple and radiates peace.
(c) It is full of phallic symbols and fertility icons.
(d) Poorly maintained.
3. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(b) The Nawab.
(c) Major Minnies.
(d) Mrs. Crawford.
4. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
(a) He believes that evil spirits are all around us.
(b) He believes that evil spirits cannot enter a virtuous person.
(c) He does not believe in evil spirits.
(d) He does not believe in any type of God or spirits.
5. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(b) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
(c) The Nawab comes to get him.
(d) Olivia makes him leave.
6. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
(a) She felt called to come to India to pursue a higher calling.
(b) She does not feel any spiritual calling.
(c) She doesn't understand it, but feels pulled by a higher power.
(d) She feels she must find a spiritual calling, or is doomed.
7. What does Chid wear?
(a) A beggar's badge.
(b) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(c) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(d) A soldier's uniform.
8. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) Mango leaves.
(b) Rock sugar and flower petals.
(c) A key.
(d) The rupees she drops on the way in.
9. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(d) Inder Lal.
10. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
(a) They disliked each other.
(b) They were very close.
(c) She hardly remembers him.
(d) She never met him.
11. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
(a) They will do a dance to thank the good spirits.
(b) Some will faint with joy.
(c) Ritu's healing will begin.
(d) Ritu will proceed on her own.
12. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(b) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
(c) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(d) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
13. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With fear.
(b) With respect.
(c) With disdain.
(d) With curiosity.
14. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
15. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(c) An anonymous source.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
2. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
3. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
4. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
5. What is the Begum?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)