|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chid wear?
(a) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(b) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) A beggar's badge.
2. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(b) The tall woman who sells fruit.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) Inder Lal.
3. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
(a) Inder Lal.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
4. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She has malaria.
(b) She lost her husband.
(c) She has dysentery.
(d) She lost a child.
5. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a well where the women gather.
(b) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(c) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(d) To the suttee shrine.
6. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Something in Olivia's letters.
(b) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(c) A loud groaning.
(d) Something she read at the library.
7. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
(a) It sounds like a religious war.
(b) It is full of silent tension.
(c) It takes on a peace it did not have before.
(d) It becomes a friendly haven for all three of them.
8. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) Weeks and months of traveling.
(b) 42 days.
(c) A matter of days.
(d) A year and a day.
9. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A robe.
(d) A plant.
10. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) What to bring to the prince.
(b) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(c) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(d) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
11. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Hides them.
(b) Works on them.
(c) Reads them to him.
(d) Burns them.
12. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Psychiatric treatment.
(d) Having Ritu stay with her.
13. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
(a) She finds it unbearable.
(b) She finds it peaceful
(c) It's just another background noise.
(d) It lulls her to sleep.
14. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Saunders.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(d) The Nawab.
15. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Helpful and unobtrusive.
(b) Quiet as a mouse.
(c) Lazy and messy.
(d) Noisy and clumsy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
2. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
3. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
4. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
5. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)