|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
2. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
(a) Major Minnies.
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
3. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(b) No one.
(c) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
4. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) She never sees it.
(b) It is simple and radiates peace.
(c) Poorly maintained.
(d) It is full of phallic symbols and fertility icons.
5. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) A matter of days.
(b) Weeks and months of traveling.
(c) 42 days.
(d) A year and a day.
6. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Inder Lal.
(c) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
7. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) In Satipur.
(b) Next to the suttee shrine.
(c) In Khatm.
(d) On palace grounds.
8. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To see the stars.
(b) To be close to Inder Lal.
(c) To escape the heat.
(d) To escape the rodents.
9. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
(a) He does not believe in evil spirits.
(b) He believes that evil spirits cannot enter a virtuous person.
(c) He does not believe in any type of God or spirits.
(d) He believes that evil spirits are all around us.
10. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Evicting Chid.
(b) Having Ritu stay with her.
(c) Psychiatric treatment.
(d) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
11. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
(a) He meditated on the problem and believes this is the best course of action.
(b) The person recommending it healed with this treatment.
(c) Nothing else has worked.
(d) It is good for her soul.
12. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A plant.
(d) A robe.
13. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(b) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(c) He has his own berth arranged.
(d) He does not want to leave his mother.
14. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
(a) The wife of the major at the Nawab's dinner party.
(b) An English girl the narrator meets at an old bungalow.
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Beth Crawford.
15. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford about his mother in Section 15?
2. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
3. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
4. What is a suttee?
5. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)