|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
(a) The Nawab.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) Mrs. Crawford.
(d) Major Minnies.
2. Why is the person the narrator discovers inside the royal tomb there, in Section 13?
(a) The person is hiding.
(b) The person is being held prisoner.
(c) The person is praying.
(d) The person is sick with fever.
3. What is a suttee?
(a) A fertility symbol.
(b) A religious suicide of a widow.
(c) A long mat used for praying.
(d) A religious icon of an older woman.
4. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Helpful and unobtrusive.
(b) Quiet as a mouse.
(c) Noisy and clumsy.
(d) Lazy and messy.
5. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
(a) She finds it peaceful
(b) It lulls her to sleep.
(c) It's just another background noise.
(d) She finds it unbearable.
6. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It is for sale.
(b) It has been torn down.
(c) It houses a post office substation.
(d) It is condemned.
7. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A painting of herself.
(b) A child-size bicycle.
(c) A painting of his first wife.
(d) Rusting camera equipment.
8. Who awakens the narrator by screaming in the courtyard on March 9th?
(a) A young girl she has never seen before.
(c) Inder Lal's youngest child.
(d) Inder Lal.
9. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
10. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
(a) It is feminine and alluring.
(b) It is cheaper and cooler.
(c) Her suitcase of clothing is stolen.
(d) She wants to fit in.
11. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(b) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(c) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
(d) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
12. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(b) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
(d) Inder Lal.
13. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To be close to Inder Lal.
(b) To escape the heat.
(c) To see the stars.
(d) To escape the rodents.
14. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(b) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(c) To the suttee shrine.
(d) To a well where the women gather.
15. What does Chid wear?
(a) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(b) A beggar's badge.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
2. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
3. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
4. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
5. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)