Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who awakens the narrator by screaming in the courtyard on March 9th?
(a) Inder Lal's youngest child.
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) A young girl she has never seen before.
2. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) Inder Lal.
3. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
(a) They disliked each other.
(b) They were very close.
(c) She hardly remembers him.
(d) She never met him.
4. What does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford about his mother in Section 15?
(a) She has dysentery.
(b) She has special visions.
(c) He wants to visit her but the Nawab won't permit it.
(d) He visits her in Khatm every week.
5. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(a) A robe.
(d) A plant.
6. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) A year and a day.
(b) Weeks and months of traveling.
(c) 42 days.
(d) A matter of days.
7. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(b) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(c) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(d) What to bring to the prince.
8. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
(a) Some will faint with joy.
(b) They will do a dance to thank the good spirits.
(c) Ritu will proceed on her own.
(d) Ritu's healing will begin.
9. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
10. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
(a) She has all her teeth.
(b) She can read and write.
(c) She brought a good dowry.
(d) She is uneducated.
11. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(b) In the A's Hotel.
(c) In a room above the saloon.
(d) In a room above a cloth shop.
12. What best describes the natural elements in Satipur according to the narrator's April 25th journal entry?
(a) There are dust storms and hot winds.
(b) Plants and crops are dying.
(c) There is constant rain and a lack of sun.
(d) There are blooming flowers and gentle breezes.
13. Why was Baba Firdau's shrine built?
(a) To bless the harvest.
(b) To honor the Nawab's great grandmother.
(c) To honor one who gave shelter to an ancestor of the Nawab.
(d) To grant fertility to the Nawab and his wife.
14. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(b) Only Beth Crawford.
(c) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(d) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
15. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) Sex has become painful for her.
(b) She is mad at him.
(c) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(d) She decides that it brings her misery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
2. How does the narrator describe Chid?
3. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
4. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
5. What is the Begum?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)