|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
2. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Psychiatric treatment.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Having Ritu stay with her.
(d) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
3. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Inder Lal.
(d) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
4. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) Weeks and months of traveling.
(b) A year and a day.
(c) A matter of days.
(d) 42 days.
5. What does Harry tell the narrator when she asks him for news on Khatm when he visits in Section 16?
(a) That she shouldn't ask so many questions.
(b) That his mother lives in Khatm.
(c) That he lives in the palace and nothing happens there.
(d) That Khatm should be burned to the ground.
6. What is a sadhu?
(a) An unforgivable sin.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A tomb painting.
(d) A holy man.
7. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is believed to be a place of healing.
(b) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
(c) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(d) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
8. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
(b) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(c) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(d) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
9. Why is Ritu sent on a pilgrimage?
(a) To represent the village.
(b) To pray for rain.
(c) To heal her ailments.
(d) To heal a sick child.
10. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A child-size bicycle.
(b) A painting of herself.
(c) Rusting camera equipment.
(d) A painting of his first wife.
11. Who awakens the narrator by screaming in the courtyard on March 9th?
(a) Inder Lal's youngest child.
(c) A young girl she has never seen before.
(d) Inder Lal.
12. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She lost a child.
(b) She has malaria.
(c) She has dysentery.
(d) She lost her husband.
13. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
(a) In a doorway.
(b) In a cheap hotel attached to a bar.
(c) In a missionary hostel.
(d) With a woman she met on the trip over.
14. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
(a) That a Westerner won't last for a month.
(b) That modern India is an impossible place to live.
(c) That she will fit in effortlessly.
(d) That she will find the answers she is seeking.
15. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Olivia makes him leave.
(b) The Nawab comes to get him.
(c) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
(d) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
2. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
3. What is a suttee?
4. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
5. What does Chid wear?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)