|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) 42 days.
(b) A year and a day.
(c) Weeks and months of traveling.
(d) A matter of days.
2. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(a) A robe.
(c) A plant.
3. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
(a) She can read and write.
(b) She is uneducated.
(c) She has all her teeth.
(d) She brought a good dowry.
4. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) The Nawab.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) Mr. Saunders.
5. What does Harry tell the narrator when she asks him for news on Khatm when he visits in Section 16?
(a) That he lives in the palace and nothing happens there.
(b) That she shouldn't ask so many questions.
(c) That his mother lives in Khatm.
(d) That Khatm should be burned to the ground.
6. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It is condemned.
(b) It houses a post office substation.
(c) It has been torn down.
(d) It is for sale.
7. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(b) Sing and pray.
(c) Share food and have a good time.
(d) Help older widows.
8. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Only Beth Crawford.
(b) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(c) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(d) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
9. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(b) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(c) To a well where the women gather.
(d) To the suttee shrine.
10. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(b) Inder Lal.
11. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(a) Her journal.
(c) His drinking cup.
12. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(b) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
(d) Inder Lal.
13. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(b) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(c) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(d) What to bring to the prince.
14. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
(a) Simple and peaceful.
(b) Gilt with gold and very ornate.
(c) Enclosed by arches and dark.
(d) Crumbling to the ground.
15. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Minnies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
2. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
3. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
4. Why does Major Minnies consider "Husband's Wedding Day" a problem?
5. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)