|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) On palace grounds.
(b) In Khatm.
(c) Next to the suttee shrine.
(d) In Satipur.
2. How does the narrator describe Chid?
(a) He's always hungry for sleep and sex.
(b) He's a bit of calm in a storm of chaos.
(c) He's seeking for answers.
(d) He carries an aura of danger.
3. What is a suttee?
(a) A long mat used for praying.
(b) A religious suicide of a widow.
(c) A fertility symbol.
(d) A religious icon of an older woman.
4. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(b) Sing and pray.
(c) Help older widows.
(d) Share food and have a good time.
5. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) 42 days.
(b) A matter of days.
(c) A year and a day.
(d) Weeks and months of traveling.
6. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
(a) In a beautiful conservatory with glass windows overlooking the garden.
(b) In his private quarters.
(c) In the Grand Hall.
(d) At the end of a log maze of halls and rooms.
7. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A robe.
(d) A plant.
8. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(b) In a room above a cloth shop.
(c) In a room above the saloon.
(d) In the A's Hotel.
9. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) He has his own berth arranged.
(b) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(c) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(d) He does not want to leave his mother.
10. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(a) Her journal.
(c) His drinking cup.
11. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
(a) Ritus starts chanting with Chid.
(b) Ritu curls up in a corner and starts shrieking.
(c) Ritu and Chid fight.
(d) Chid seems to calm Ritu.
12. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is simple and radiates peace.
(b) Poorly maintained.
(c) It is full of phallic symbols and fertility icons.
(d) She never sees it.
13. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
(b) No one.
14. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(d) Inder Lal.
15. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a well where the women gather.
(b) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(c) To the suttee shrine.
(d) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
2. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
3. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
4. Who says she came to India to find peace, but only got dysentery?
5. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)