|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
2. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and the narrator.
(b) Maji and the narrator.
(c) The narrator and Chid.
(d) Inder Lal's mother and Chid.
3. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
(a) In his private quarters.
(b) At the end of a log maze of halls and rooms.
(c) In a beautiful conservatory with glass windows overlooking the garden.
(d) In the Grand Hall.
4. What best describes Chid as a houseguest?
(a) Helpful and unobtrusive.
(b) Quiet as a mouse.
(c) Noisy and clumsy.
(d) Lazy and messy.
5. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
(a) To pursue a dream.
(b) To escape the materialism of the West.
(c) To build a future.
(d) To find herself.
6. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
(a) He does not believe in any type of God or spirits.
(b) He does not believe in evil spirits.
(c) He believes that evil spirits are all around us.
(d) He believes that evil spirits cannot enter a virtuous person.
7. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) She is mad at him.
(b) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(c) Sex has become painful for her.
(d) She decides that it brings her misery.
8. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(b) He has his own berth arranged.
(c) He does not want to leave his mother.
(d) The Nawab cancels the berth.
9. Where does Chid recover from his fever?
(a) In the narrator's room.
(b) In the royal tomb.
(c) In the suttee shrine.
(d) In Inder Lal's home.
10. What does Harry tell the narrator when she asks him for news on Khatm when he visits in Section 16?
(a) That she shouldn't ask so many questions.
(b) That he lives in the palace and nothing happens there.
(c) That Khatm should be burned to the ground.
(d) That his mother lives in Khatm.
11. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
(a) Gloomy and crumbling.
(b) Bustling with activity.
(c) Practically empty.
(d) Ornate and impressive.
12. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are best friends.
(b) They are bitter enemies.
(c) They are sisters.
(d) They are cousins.
13. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
14. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
(d) Major Minnies.
15. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) What to bring to the prince.
(b) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(c) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(d) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
2. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
3. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
4. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
5. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)