|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
(d) An anonymous source.
2. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Having Ritu stay with her.
(d) Psychiatric treatment.
3. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(b) Inder Lal.
(c) The tall woman who sells fruit.
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
4. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) A missionary.
(d) The hotel owner.
5. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Something in Olivia's letters.
(b) Something she read at the library.
(c) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(d) A loud groaning.
6. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(c) The Nawab.
(d) Mr. Saunders.
7. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
8. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With curiosity.
(b) With disdain.
(c) With respect.
(d) With fear.
9. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) A year and a day.
(b) A matter of days.
(c) Weeks and months of traveling.
(d) 42 days.
10. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
(a) To the Himalayas.
(b) To an ashram near Bombay.
(c) To the River of Tears.
(d) To a shrine for sick women.
11. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(b) Mrs. Saunders.
12. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
(a) Ritu curls up in a corner and starts shrieking.
(b) Chid seems to calm Ritu.
(c) Ritus starts chanting with Chid.
(d) Ritu and Chid fight.
13. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(a) The Begum.
(b) Musical chairs.
(d) Hide and go seek.
14. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(b) Inder Lal.
(d) The village women.
15. What is the religious significance of Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is believed to restore youth and energy to the aging.
(b) It is sacred for the blessing of young men just coming of age.
(c) It is believed to be a place of healing.
(d) It is sacred for women who want to become pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ritu's screams affect Chid?
2. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
3. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
4. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
5. What is a sadhu?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)