|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(b) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
(c) Olivia makes him leave.
(d) The Nawab comes to get him.
2. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) The hotel owner.
(b) A missionary.
3. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To escape the rodents.
(b) To be close to Inder Lal.
(c) To see the stars.
(d) To escape the heat.
4. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(a) The village women.
(c) Inder Lal.
5. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(b) Mr. Saunders.
(d) The Nawab.
6. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(b) A robe.
(d) A plant.
7. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
(a) It is cheaper and cooler.
(b) Her suitcase of clothing is stolen.
(c) She wants to fit in.
(d) It is feminine and alluring.
8. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
(a) She lights the fire and eats with Inder Lal's family.
(b) She awakens to bells and works on her papers.
(c) She works on her papers and doesn't stop to eat until late in the day.
(d) She awakens to birds and cooks for Inder Lal.
9. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(a) Her journal.
(b) His drinking cup.
10. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
11. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
(a) It sounds like a religious war.
(b) It takes on a peace it did not have before.
(c) It becomes a friendly haven for all three of them.
(d) It is full of silent tension.
12. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(b) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
(c) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
(d) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
13. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
(a) To an ashram near Bombay.
(b) To the River of Tears.
(c) To the Himalayas.
(d) To a shrine for sick women.
14. What happens when Olivia plays the piano for the Nawab?
(a) He loses interest and leaves.
(b) He sits down at the other piano and plays.
(c) He starts to sing.
(d) He breaks down in tears.
15. What is a suttee?
(a) A fertility symbol.
(b) A religious icon of an older woman.
(c) A religious suicide of a widow.
(d) A long mat used for praying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
2. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
3. What do Karim and his friends think about the narrator's plans to visit India?
4. What is the Begum?
5. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)