|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Help older widows.
(b) Share food and have a good time.
(c) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(d) Sing and pray.
2. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A painting of herself.
(b) Rusting camera equipment.
(c) A child-size bicycle.
(d) A painting of his first wife.
3. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) She decides that it brings her misery.
(b) She is mad at him.
(c) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(d) Sex has become painful for her.
4. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
(b) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
(c) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(d) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
5. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) Inder Lal.
6. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(b) A robe.
(d) A plant.
7. Why does the narrator say she buys Indian clothing after settling into her new place in Satipur?
(a) It is cheaper and cooler.
(b) She wants to fit in.
(c) It is feminine and alluring.
(d) Her suitcase of clothing is stolen.
8. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
(a) In a cheap hotel attached to a bar.
(b) With a woman she met on the trip over.
(c) In a doorway.
(d) In a missionary hostel.
9. Why is Ritu sent on a pilgrimage?
(a) To pray for rain.
(b) To heal her ailments.
(c) To heal a sick child.
(d) To represent the village.
10. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(a) Inder Lal.
(c) The village women.
11. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
12. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Crawford.
(b) The Nawab.
(d) Mr. Saunders.
13. What is the Begum?
(a) A traditional Indian game.
(b) The tree outside of Mrs. Saunders' window.
(c) The Nawab's mother.
(d) The Indian term for an English woman's gloves.
14. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(b) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
(c) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
(d) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
15. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She has dysentery.
(b) She lost a child.
(c) She has malaria.
(d) She lost her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
2. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
3. Who says, at the Crawford's dinner party, that if a woman wants to throw her life away for her religion it is her choice?
4. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
5. What does Chid wear?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)