|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(a) No one.
(c) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
2. What does Chid wear?
(a) A beggar's badge.
(b) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(c) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(d) A soldier's uniform.
3. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
(a) Some will faint with joy.
(b) Ritu will proceed on her own.
(c) Ritu's healing will begin.
(d) They will do a dance to thank the good spirits.
4. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
(a) He does not want to leave Olivia.
(b) The Nawab cancels the berth.
(c) He has his own berth arranged.
(d) He does not want to leave his mother.
5. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) The hotel owner.
(b) A missionary.
6. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
(a) It's just another background noise.
(b) She finds it unbearable.
(c) She finds it peaceful
(d) It lulls her to sleep.
7. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(b) In a room above the saloon.
(c) In the A's Hotel.
(d) In a room above a cloth shop.
8. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
(a) Chid seems to calm Ritu.
(b) Ritu and Chid fight.
(c) Ritus starts chanting with Chid.
(d) Ritu curls up in a corner and starts shrieking.
9. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(a) A plant.
(d) A robe.
10. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
(a) She thinks he is too sickly to live in India.
(b) She doesn't understand why he doesn't come to India.
(c) She can't imagine him living in India.
(d) She thinks he is too materialistic to live in India.
11. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
(a) To an ashram near Bombay.
(b) To the River of Tears.
(c) To a shrine for sick women.
(d) To the Himalayas.
12. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(b) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(c) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(d) Only Beth Crawford.
13. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
14. What is a sadhu?
(a) A holy man.
(b) An unforgivable sin.
(c) A tomb painting.
(d) A blessing.
15. What does the narrator notice about the relationship between Ritu and Inder Lal's mother?
(a) Ritu is openly hostile to her mother-in-law.
(b) Ritu dotes on her mother-in-law.
(c) Ritu is abused by her mother-in-law.
(d) Ritu obeys her mother-in-law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
2. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
3. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
4. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
5. What best describes the narrator's morning routine at her room in Satipur?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)