|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A robe.
(d) A plant.
2. What is a sadhu?
(a) A tomb painting.
(b) A blessing.
(c) A holy man.
(d) An unforgivable sin.
3. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
(a) To escape the materialism of the West.
(b) To pursue a dream.
(c) To build a future.
(d) To find herself.
4. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
5. Why does the Nawab tell Douglas he is visiting on the day that Douglas arrives home during one of the Nawab's regular visits to Olivia?
(a) To invite Douglas and Olivia to a dinner in their honor.
(b) To offer a traditional prayer of welcome for their home.
(c) To congratulate Douglas for the way he handled a recent death.
(d) To invite Douglas to work in the palace.
6. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) Next to the suttee shrine.
(b) On palace grounds.
(c) In Satipur.
(d) In Khatm.
7. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
(a) She is uneducated.
(b) She can read and write.
(c) She brought a good dowry.
(d) She has all her teeth.
8. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(b) Olivia makes him leave.
(c) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
(d) The Nawab comes to get him.
9. What does Chid wear?
(a) A beggar's badge.
(b) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(c) A soldier's uniform.
(d) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
10. What do the narrator and the person or people who accompany her on Husband's Wedding Day do once they are there?
(a) Sing and pray.
(b) Share food and have a good time.
(c) Dance, drink and listen to poems about Baba Firdau.
(d) Help older widows.
11. How does the narrator describe Chid?
(a) He's always hungry for sleep and sex.
(b) He's a bit of calm in a storm of chaos.
(c) He carries an aura of danger.
(d) He's seeking for answers.
12. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(a) Inder Lal's mother.
(b) Inder Lal.
(c) The tall woman who sells fruit.
13. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It is for sale.
(b) It houses a post office substation.
(c) It has been torn down.
(d) It is condemned.
14. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
(a) He was forbidden to return after that first visit.
(b) It holds bitter memories for the Nawab.
(c) The fire made it unlivable.
(d) The Begum doesn't like it.
15. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
2. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
3. How does Chid explain Ritu's screams?
4. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
5. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)