|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
(a) She is uneducated.
(b) She brought a good dowry.
(c) She can read and write.
(d) She has all her teeth.
2. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) Olivia makes him leave.
(b) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
(c) The Nawab comes to get him.
(d) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
3. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Psychiatric treatment.
(d) Having Ritu stay with her.
4. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(b) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(c) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
(d) What to bring to the prince.
5. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Works on them.
(b) Hides them.
(c) Reads them to him.
(d) Burns them.
6. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) The hotel owner.
(c) A missionary.
7. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(a) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
(c) No one.
8. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A painting of his first wife.
(b) Rusting camera equipment.
(c) A painting of herself.
(d) A child-size bicycle.
9. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
(a) She is mad at him.
(b) It's too hot and he does not bathe.
(c) She decides that it brings her misery.
(d) Sex has become painful for her.
10. Why was Baba Firdau's shrine built?
(a) To honor the Nawab's great grandmother.
(b) To grant fertility to the Nawab and his wife.
(c) To honor one who gave shelter to an ancestor of the Nawab.
(d) To bless the harvest.
11. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It has been torn down.
(b) It is for sale.
(c) It houses a post office substation.
(d) It is condemned.
12. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are bitter enemies.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are best friends.
13. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(c) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
(d) Inder Lal.
14. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In a room above the saloon.
(b) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(c) In the A's Hotel.
(d) In a room above a cloth shop.
15. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Saunders.
(b) Mr. Crawford.
(c) The Nawab.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
2. Who gives Olivia's letters to Marcia?
3. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
4. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
5. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)