|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(b) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(c) Only Beth Crawford.
(d) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
2. What prompts the narrator to investigate the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Something in Olivia's letters.
(b) A symbol she sees on the outside of the tomb.
(c) Something she read at the library.
(d) A loud groaning.
3. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) Rusting camera equipment.
(b) A child-size bicycle.
(c) A painting of his first wife.
(d) A painting of herself.
4. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(a) A robe.
(d) A plant.
5. When Chid visits the narrator, what does she do with her papers?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Hides them.
(c) Reads them to him.
(d) Works on them.
6. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) In Khatm.
(b) In Satipur.
(c) Next to the suttee shrine.
(d) On palace grounds.
7. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(b) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
(c) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
(d) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
8. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
9. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(b) To a well where the women gather.
(c) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
(d) To the suttee shrine.
10. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(b) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
(c) Slaps the person in the face.
(d) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
11. What does Inder Lal say about his belief in evil spirits?
(a) He does not believe in evil spirits.
(b) He believes that evil spirits are all around us.
(c) He believes that evil spirits cannot enter a virtuous person.
(d) He does not believe in any type of God or spirits.
12. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
(a) Bustling with activity.
(b) Ornate and impressive.
(c) Practically empty.
(d) Gloomy and crumbling.
13. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
(a) It houses a post office substation.
(b) It is condemned.
(c) It has been torn down.
(d) It is for sale.
14. How does Chid's chanting affect the narrator?
(a) It lulls her to sleep.
(b) She finds it unbearable.
(c) She finds it peaceful
(d) It's just another background noise.
15. How do the narrator and Chid appear in Satipur?
(a) They stand out.
(b) They are revered like prophets.
(c) They are ignored and treated like ghosts.
(d) They blend in.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
2. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
3. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
4. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
5. Why doesn't Harry take the berth that Douglas has arranged for him?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)