|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator's new friend take her in Section 11?
(a) To a library to see some papers regarding Olivia.
(b) To a well where the women gather.
(c) To the suttee shrine.
(d) To the grove where Olivia and the Nawab went.
2. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
3. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) Rock sugar and flower petals.
(b) A key.
(c) Mango leaves.
(d) The rupees she drops on the way in.
4. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
(a) The fire made it unlivable.
(b) The Begum doesn't like it.
(c) It holds bitter memories for the Nawab.
(d) He was forbidden to return after that first visit.
5. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(b) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(c) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(d) Only Beth Crawford.
6. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
7. What is a sadhu?
(a) A blessing.
(b) A tomb painting.
(c) A holy man.
(d) An unforgivable sin.
8. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
(a) Ritu curls up in a corner and starts shrieking.
(b) Chid seems to calm Ritu.
(c) Ritus starts chanting with Chid.
(d) Ritu and Chid fight.
9. What does Chid ask the narrator for in Section 21?
(a) Her journal.
(c) His drinking cup.
10. What does Inder Lal's mother do to calm the screaming person in the courtyard the night of March 9th?
(a) Slaps the person in the face.
(b) Sprinkles rice and utters incantations.
(c) Gives the person a ginger and honey tea.
(d) Sings and rocks the person back to sleep.
11. How do the narrator and Chid appear in Satipur?
(a) They are ignored and treated like ghosts.
(b) They are revered like prophets.
(c) They stand out.
(d) They blend in.
12. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
(a) Enclosed by arches and dark.
(b) Crumbling to the ground.
(c) Simple and peaceful.
(d) Gilt with gold and very ornate.
13. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With fear.
(c) With respect.
(d) With curiosity.
14. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
(a) To a shrine for sick women.
(b) To the Himalayas.
(c) To an ashram near Bombay.
(d) To the River of Tears.
15. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
(a) Adopting an Indian child.
(b) Returning to England.
(d) Having children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
2. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
3. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
4. Who visits Olivia four days after she and Douglas attend their first dinner party at the palace?
5. How does Chid explain Ritu's screams?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)