|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a suttee?
(a) A religious icon of an older woman.
(b) A religious suicide of a widow.
(c) A long mat used for praying.
(d) A fertility symbol.
2. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(a) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
3. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
(a) Bustling with activity.
(b) Gloomy and crumbling.
(c) Practically empty.
(d) Ornate and impressive.
4. Why does Harry return to the palace after staying with Olivia and Douglas for several days?
(a) The Nawab comes to get him.
(b) Olivia makes him leave.
(c) Douglas suspects he is having an affair with Olivia.
(d) He receives news that the Nawab is ill.
5. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
(a) To build a future.
(b) To escape the materialism of the West.
(c) To find herself.
(d) To pursue a dream.
6. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(a) The tall woman who sells fruit.
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(c) Inder Lal.
7. What happens when Ritu visits the narrator in her room after she tries unsuccessfully to throw Chid out of her room?
(a) Ritu curls up in a corner and starts shrieking.
(b) Ritus starts chanting with Chid.
(c) Ritu and Chid fight.
(d) Chid seems to calm Ritu.
8. Who does the narrator discover when she investigates the royal tomb on March 30th?
(a) Inder Lal.
(d) The angry English woman she met at the British bungalow.
9. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
(a) To be close to Inder Lal.
(b) To see the stars.
(c) To escape the rodents.
(d) To escape the heat.
10. Who is the recipient of Olivia's letters that are in the narrator's possession?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
11. Where does the Nawab keep his pianos?
(a) In his private quarters.
(b) In a beautiful conservatory with glass windows overlooking the garden.
(c) In the Grand Hall.
(d) At the end of a log maze of halls and rooms.
12. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
(a) One is black and the other is white.
(b) Both are well-maintained.
(c) Both are in disrepair.
(d) One is a baby grand, the other is a child-sized spinnet.
13. According to Olivia's letters, where do Mrs. Crawford and Mrs. Minnies go together in 1923?
14. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
(a) Olivia's letters, her journal and a Hindi grammar book.
(b) Olivia's letters, her journal and a guide to India.
(c) Olivia's letters and the map to the palace.
(d) Her journal, Tessie's diary and a Hindi grammar book.
15. What does the narrator decide to discuss with Inder Lal after Ritu's screaming episode in her room?
(a) Psychiatric treatment.
(b) Evicting Chid.
(c) Having Ritu stay with her.
(d) Having Ritu go to a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chid recover from his fever?
2. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
3. Who awakens the narrator by screaming in the courtyard on March 9th?
4. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
5. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)