|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) In Khatm.
(b) On palace grounds.
(c) Next to the suttee shrine.
(d) In Satipur.
2. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are best friends.
(c) They are bitter enemies.
(d) They are cousins.
3. What do Olivia and Douglas argue about when the prince extends a second visit to the palace?
(a) The fact that the Minnies are not invited.
(b) What to bring to the prince.
(c) The fact that the Crawfords are not invited.
(d) If it's appropriate to go during a holy time.
4. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) A key.
(b) Rock sugar and flower petals.
(c) The rupees she drops on the way in.
(d) Mango leaves.
5. Why does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford that he has only been to the Nawab's mountain chalet once?
(a) It holds bitter memories for the Nawab.
(b) The fire made it unlivable.
(c) He was forbidden to return after that first visit.
(d) The Begum doesn't like it.
6. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
(b) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
(c) Shares it with the narrator.
(d) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
7. How does the narrator describe Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) It is full of phallic symbols and fertility icons.
(b) Poorly maintained.
(c) She never sees it.
(d) It is simple and radiates peace.
8. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
(a) In a doorway.
(b) With a woman she met on the trip over.
(c) In a cheap hotel attached to a bar.
(d) In a missionary hostel.
9. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
(a) It is a common treatment in Satipur.
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) A psychiatrist.
10. Why does the narrator tell Inder Lal that she is in India (other than for Olivia's letters)?
(a) To build a future.
(b) To escape the materialism of the West.
(c) To pursue a dream.
(d) To find herself.
11. What does Chid wear?
(a) A beggar's badge.
(b) A very worn straw farmer's hat.
(c) An orange Indian ascetic's robe.
(d) A soldier's uniform.
12. How do the townspeople treat Chid?
(a) With respect.
(b) With fear.
(c) With curiosity.
(d) With disdain.
13. What happens when Olivia plays the piano for the Nawab?
(a) He breaks down in tears.
(b) He sits down at the other piano and plays.
(c) He starts to sing.
(d) He loses interest and leaves.
14. What is the Begum?
(a) The tree outside of Mrs. Saunders' window.
(b) The Indian term for an English woman's gloves.
(c) A traditional Indian game.
(d) The Nawab's mother.
15. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(b) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
(c) Only Beth Crawford.
(d) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Ritu on her pilgrimage to the Himalayas?
2. Why won't the narrator have sex with Chid in Section 17?
3. What best describes the Nawab's palace during the narrator's first visit?
4. What does Harry tell the narrator and Mrs. Crawford about his mother in Section 15?
5. Why is Ritu sent on a pilgrimage?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)