|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Olivia see in the room with the Nawab's pianos?
(a) A child-size bicycle.
(b) A painting of his first wife.
(c) Rusting camera equipment.
(d) A painting of herself.
2. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(a) Inder Lal.
(b) The village women.
3. Who accompanies the narrator to Husband's Wedding Day?
(a) No one.
(d) Inder Lal's mother and her friends.
4. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
(b) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
(c) Shares it with the narrator.
(d) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
5. What is the Begum?
(a) A traditional Indian game.
(b) The Nawab's mother.
(c) The Indian term for an English woman's gloves.
(d) The tree outside of Mrs. Saunders' window.
6. What does the palace watchman give to the narrator?
(a) The rupees she drops on the way in.
(b) A key.
(c) Mango leaves.
(d) Rock sugar and flower petals.
7. What topic do Olivia and Douglas start to discuss during her growing friendship with the Nawab?
(a) Returning to England.
(c) Having children.
(d) Adopting an Indian child.
8. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(b) Inder Lal.
(c) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) The tall woman who sells fruit.
9. What does the narrator think about Karim living in India?
(a) She can't imagine him living in India.
(b) She thinks he is too materialistic to live in India.
(c) She thinks he is too sickly to live in India.
(d) She doesn't understand why he doesn't come to India.
10. Who does not agree that a suttee is a form of suicide?
(a) Major Minnies and Olivia.
(b) Only Beth Crawford.
(c) Douglas and Dr. Saunders.
(d) Olivia and Beth Crawford.
11. What best describes the narrator's room when both Chid and Ritu are in it?
(a) It becomes a friendly haven for all three of them.
(b) It takes on a peace it did not have before.
(c) It sounds like a religious war.
(d) It is full of silent tension.
12. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
(a) She is excited to talk to Mrs. Crawford and other women.
(b) She dreads spending time with stuffy government types.
(c) She is excited to show off her dress and jewels.
(d) She is intimidated by the idea of meeting royalty.
13. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(d) Inder Lal.
14. What is the relationship between Tessie and Beth?
(a) They are sisters.
(b) They are bitter enemies.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are best friends.
15. Where is Baba Firdau's shrine?
(a) On palace grounds.
(b) In Khatm.
(c) Next to the suttee shrine.
(d) In Satipur.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator's first journal entry, where does she spend her first night in Bombay?
2. What does Maji say will happen after the pilgrimage party reaches the tree line of the mountain base?
3. How does the narrator explain her spiritual calling to Inder Lal?
4. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
5. Who recommended the treatment that Ritu is receiving that makes her scream?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)