|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Saunders ill when Olivia first meets her?
(a) She lost her husband.
(b) She lost a child.
(c) She has malaria.
(d) She has dysentery.
2. What game do Olivia and Nawab play when he first takes her to the grove?
(a) The Begum.
(c) Musical chairs.
(d) Hide and go seek.
3. Where is Ritu going on her pilgrimage?
(a) To the Himalayas.
(b) To the River of Tears.
(c) To an ashram near Bombay.
(d) To a shrine for sick women.
4. Who accompanies the narrator to the royal tombs in Section 13?
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) Inder Lal's mother.
5. What does Chid do when someone gives him a guava or a banana?
(a) Gives profuse thanks and then gives it to a hungry child.
(b) Shares it with the narrator.
(c) Hoards it near his sleeping mat.
(d) Eats it himself and leaves the peel on the floor.
6. What is the narrator called in Part 1 Section 4?
7. Why does Major Minnies consider "Husband's Wedding Day" a problem?
(a) The Nawab encourages fighting on this day.
(b) There are too many people in a small space.
(c) There is conflict between the Hindus and the Muslims.
(d) The Nawab promotes anti-English sentiment on this day.
8. Whose father died from a stroke when he was only 15?
(a) Mr. Saunders.
(b) The Nawab.
(c) Mr. Crawford.
9. What does the narrator receive from Chid in Section 21?
(c) A robe.
(d) A plant.
10. Who decides that Ritu will go on a pilgrimage?
(a) The village women.
(b) Inder Lal.
11. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
(a) She can read and write.
(b) She has all her teeth.
(c) She brought a good dowry.
(d) She is uneducated.
12. Who tells the narrator that nothing human is important in India?
(a) The hotel owner.
(c) A missionary.
13. How does the narrator describe her relationship with her grandfather?
(a) She never met him.
(b) She hardly remembers him.
(c) They disliked each other.
(d) They were very close.
14. Describe the pianos that the Nawab shows to Olivia.
(a) One is black and the other is white.
(b) One is a baby grand, the other is a child-sized spinnet.
(c) Both are in disrepair.
(d) Both are well-maintained.
15. How long does Maji say it will take Ritu to reach the destination on the pilgrimage?
(a) A matter of days.
(b) A year and a day.
(c) Weeks and months of traveling.
(d) 42 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say she learns about the house where Olivia and Douglas used to live in the February 16th journal entry?
2. Who volunteers to take the narrator to the Nawab's palace in Khatm for the first time?
3. Why does Inder Lal say that he agreed to the treatment that Ritu receives?
4. What best describes the royal tombs visited by the narrator in Section 13?
5. What is the Begum?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)