|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4 Section 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What paperwork does the narrator keep on her small desk in Part 1, Section 3?
(a) Her journal, Tessie's diary and a Hindi grammar book.
(b) Olivia's letters, her journal and a Hindi grammar book.
(c) Olivia's letters, her journal and a guide to India.
(d) Olivia's letters and the map to the palace.
2. What is a suttee?
(a) A religious icon of an older woman.
(b) A fertility symbol.
(c) A religious suicide of a widow.
(d) A long mat used for praying.
3. Who befriends the narrator and gets her good deals at the bazaar in Section 11?
(b) Inder Lal's mother.
(c) Inder Lal.
(d) The tall woman who sells fruit.
4. Where does the narrator say she is staying in her February 16th entry?
(a) In a room above the saloon.
(b) In the A's Hotel.
(c) In Marcia's small hut outside of Satipur.
(d) In a room above a cloth shop.
5. Who does the narrator say her grandmother is in the first section of the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator start sleeping in the outdoor courtyard with Inder Lal's family?
2. How does Olivia feel when she is first invited to visit the Nawab's palace with Douglas in 1923?
3. Who awakens the narrator by screaming in the courtyard on March 9th?
4. What is the Begum?
5. Why does Inder Lal tell the narrator that his mother selected Ritu as his wife?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)