|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jake Blount arrive in town?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 5, what does Spareribs bring with him to the Kelly house?
3. Who were the four people who often visited Mr. Singer?
4. While outside on the porch with his friend, Spareribs, what does Bugger do to Baby?
5. What does Jake Blount say about Mr. Singer after he first meets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Doctor Copeland have problems choosing the essay contest winner?
2. How does Jake Blount react when he realizes Mister Singer was deaf and mute?
3. What was Mick's theory about the younger kids in a family?
4. What made Doctor Copeland different from most other African-Americans in the town?
5. What do Spiros Antonapoulos and John Singer have in common?
6. In what way did Doctor Copeland use the Christmas party as a forum?
7. Why is Portia so determined that her father should live with her grandfather and other brothers when he is so different from them?
8. What was it about the message in red, written on a wall, that held Jake Blount's attention?
9. In what ways do Portia and her father differ in their reaction to Willie's punishment in prison and the loss of his feet?
10. What happens when Jake Blount finally meets, Simms, the man who wrote the message on the wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Jake Blount's original intent to become an evangelist and how that is similar, or differs, from what he is doing in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Evaluate the composition written by the young boy and determine what were the problems Doctor Copeland had with the composition.
Essay Topic 3
Mick Kelly's dream was to be a famous pianist. Was this dream realistic? What would she have had to overcome to achieve her dream? What talent, if any, did she show in the story that might lead the reader to believe this dream might come true one day? Did Mick see being a pianist as a means to travel around the world, or were the dreams to play piano and travel independent of one another?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)