|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Singer move?
2. Where does Jake spend the second night of the story?
3. In the summer when Mick takes her brothers for walks what does she think about?
4. Where did Mick Kelly take her brothers on Sunday morning?
5. What has Jake Blount been so upset about, even before he came to this town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mick Kelly?
2. What generally goes on inside Mick Kelly's head?
3. Why did Mick Kelly decide she wanted to have a prom party?
4. Why does Jake insist on going to visit Willie after hears about the young man's situation?
5. What do we learn about the Kellys financial situation in Part 2, Chapter 9?
6. What happens to Harry and Mick when they go on their swimming trip?
7. What happens when Jake's two coworkers make fun of him behind his back?
8. What question was plaguing Biff Brannon as he watched Mister Singer, Jake Blount, and Mick Kelly together?
9. What does Blount want even more than a job?
10. Why did Singer suddenly go away during July without warning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Jake Blount's original intent to become an evangelist and how that is similar, or differs, from what he is doing in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the kind of relationship Mick Kelly has with her family, especially her mother. Why doesn't Mick confide in her parents about her dreams? What happened to the close relationship she once had with her older brother? Why does Mick seem closest to her younger brothers? At one point in the novel Mick keeps asking her brother Bubber/George if he loves her. Why was it so important to her that he love her not just because she was his sister?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the conversations with John Singer were mostly one sided. Was it mostly because he was deaf, or because they other characters were content just having someone to talk to?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)