|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Portia?
(a) A young woman who boards with them.
(b) A friend of Mick's from school.
(c) The daughter of the town banker.
(d) The woman who cooks for the Kellys.
2. Who is John Singer?
(a) A man whoes hobby is engraving.
(b) The owner of a jewelry store.
(c) A tall man with a quick, intelligent expression.
(d) A tall, obese, Jewish man.
3. What do the men tell Jake about when there was a strike at the mill.
(a) The mill closed down and didn't open until the strike was over.
(b) Their wives made them go back to work.
(c) The mill sent out trucks and brought in other workers to replace the strikers.
(d) The mill offered them half of what they wanted.
4. What does Charles Parker, Antonapoulos's cousin do?
(a) Helps pay the fines for Antonapoulos as long as he leaves town.
(b) Loans Antonapoulos money to go away.
(c) He has Antonapoulos committed to an insane asylum.
(d) Takes Antonapoulos 200 miles away to live with his sister.
5. What does Antonapoulos do once a week?
(a) Go out for steak.
(b) Go out dancing.
(c) Invite his cousin to dinner.
(d) Have his photograph taken.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of things does Mick think about when she goes to her "inside room"?
2. What does Brannon carry downstairs and keep behind the cash register?
3. What does part of Biff almost wish?
4. What is the Sunny Dixie Show?
5. What is the essay contest supposed to be about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Singer suddenly go away during July without warning?
2. What regrets does Doctor Copeland have about his relationship with his family?
3. After living without his friend for over a year, why did the death of the other man push Mister Singer to suicide?
4. What had changed about Mick Kelly as she sat in the restaurant on the evening of August 21, 1939?
5. What happens when Jake's two coworkers make fun of him behind his back?
6. Why did the four people, Mick Kelly, Jake Blount, Doctor Copeland, and Biff Brannon visit Mister Singer so often?
7. Why did Blount return to Mister Singer's room?
8. What does Blount want even more than a job?
9. What do Spiros Antonapoulos and John Singer have in common?
10. What was it that Biff Brannon and his sister-in-law, Lucille, disagreed on?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)