|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the four people who often visited Mr. Singer?
(a) Bubber, Mick, Mandy Lewis, and Dr. Copeland.
(b) Mick Kelly, Biff Brannon, Jake Blount, and Dr. Copeland.
(c) Willie, Highboy, Bubber, and Mick.
(d) Mick Kelly, Portia, Willie, and Biff Brannon.
2. What is Singer's job?
(a) A sign-language teacher at a special school.
(b) An engraver in a jewelery store.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A chess master.
3. What happens after Antonapoulos becomes ill?
(a) His behavior changes. He steals and urinates in public.
(b) He starts to lose weight.
(c) He wants to stay in bed all day.
(d) He recovers and goes back to his usual routine.
4. What does Mick do most nights?
(a) Drinks beer behind the house.
(b) Works a part time job.
(c) Walks the streets alone.
(d) Hides in the attic and looks at her secret box.
5. Where does Dr. Copeland go after the Christmas party?
(a) To visit Willie.
(b) On his rounds.
(c) To Portia's for dinner.
(d) To bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mick suddenly realize about her father in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. What did Portia say about Mick that Mick knew was wrong?
3. What does Dr. Copeland's daughter tell him about her job?
4. What does Brannon carry downstairs and keep behind the cash register?
5. How does Jake Blount feel when he is at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Jake Blount and Doctor Copeland's feelings about inequality of the races and the power of the rich?
2. What changed about Biff Brannon's feelings for Mick?
3. After living without his friend for over a year, why did the death of the other man push Mister Singer to suicide?
4. Why is Doctor Copeland being forced to move from his home?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 11, how is Mick affected by the changes in her family?
6. What bothered Doctor Copeland when he attended the family reunion?
7. What had changed about Mick Kelly as she sat in the restaurant on the evening of August 21, 1939?
8. In what way did Doctor Copeland use the Christmas party as a forum?
9. Why did Singer suddenly go away during July without warning?
10. Why did Jake Blount not feel like a stranger in a strange town?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)