Part 1, Chapter 1
• John Singer and Spiros Antanopoulos are two men who are deaf and mute who share an apartment in a small town in the deep South.
• After ten years together Antonapoulos begins having strange behavior and is sometimes arrested.
• Antonapoulos's cousin has him committed to an insane asylum.
• Depressed because his friend is gone, Singer moves to a new apartment closer to the center of the community.
Part 1, Chapter 2
• Biff and Alice Brannon own the New York Cafe, a central meeting place for many of the main characters in the story.
• The two disagree about many things, but especially one strange patron, Jake Blount.
• Jake Blount not only owes them money, he drinks too much and is often disruptive to other patrons.
• Blount seems to be trying to share an important message with the patrons, but because he is so drunk most people can't figure out what...
This section contains 2,530 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)