|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine tell Mary Ann she should go work for since she no longer wants her as a maid?
2. What does Catherine trip over in Peter's pumpkin patch when she goes to save Mary Ann?
3. What is Jest supposed to steal as part of his mission?
4. What are the Sisters wearing the second time the group reaches the treacle well on their way to Chess?
5. Who was the only judge to eat Catherine's pumpkin cake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Sisters say Catherine's heart can do for them?
2. Why does Catherine bring the King a key lime pie?
3. Why does Hatta refuse to accept Catherine's business proposal?
4. In Catherine's last encounter with the Jabberwock, why does the Jabberwock only have one eye?
5. Why does Jest push Catherine to marry the King of Hearts?
6. How does Mary Ann know that Lady Peter is the Jabberwock?
7. What makes Catherine angry at Mary Ann when she returns home after having her ankle healed?
8. Why did Catherine's father cry the first time she told him a story?
9. Why is Peter so angry to see Hatta in his pumpkin patch?
10. Why is Catherine angry to learn that the Duke and Margaret are courting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plants grow in Catherine’s room several times throughout the novel. Each plant symbolizes something and also serves as Catherine’s inspiration for some action. Write an essay explaining the importance of each of the plants and how they inspire Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Jest as a romantic hero archetype. Define the archetype and explain how Jest fits that role.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author uses wordplay throughout the novel. What inspiration does she draw from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland as well as other literary works? What is the purpose of using wordplay?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)