|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What production does the King invite Catherine to see with him at the theater?
2. What are the Sisters wearing the second time the group reaches the treacle well on their way to Chess?
3. Which of the following is not a judge at the Baking Contest?
4. Who was the only character that Catherine told about her deal with the Sisters?
5. Who does Catherine decide to take a business proposal to after her parents refuse to let her use her dowry to open a bakery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jest push Catherine to marry the King of Hearts?
2. Why does Catherine decide that she will marry the King before going to the masquerade ball?
3. How does Hatta think he can escape the fate of going mad?
4. In Catherine's last encounter with the Jabberwock, why does the Jabberwock only have one eye?
5. When Catherine goes to the pumpkin patch to save Mary Ann, why does Peter think Catherine is there?
6. During the Turtle Days Festival, why does Catherine tell Jest he should not touch her?
7. What is the reason that the Marquess gives Catherine for not allowing her to open a bakery?
8. What is the secret to being able to find the treacle well?
9. Why does Hatta refuse to accept Catherine's business proposal?
10. What makes Catherine angry at Mary Ann when she returns home after having her ankle healed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the author draws upon Carroll’s original work and the work of other authors in developing the Duke’s character. How is the Duke important to the theme of the gentry versus the common class? How does the author suggest to readers that he is important to the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Meyer uses the character of the Cheshire cat to move the plot forward. What attributes does Cheshire have that make him perfect for the role Meyer places him in?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing how Meyer develops the mystery of the Jabberwock. Examine the clues she leaves for readers about the identity of the Jabberwock and what caused the transformation.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)