|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Catherine tell Jest taught her to bake?
2. What game does Margaret pretend to play with Catherine to avoid the Duke at the tea party?
3. Who are the replacement Rooks while Raven and Jest are in Hearts?
4. What does Hatta tell Catherine cannot be taken back once stolen?
5. What is Peter Peter doing when Catherine and Mary Ann arrive at the pumpkin patch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information about Jest does Catherine withhold from Mary Ann when she confesses that she was at a tea party with him?
2. After the King's ball, why does Cheshire tell Catherine that he does not think many people know it was Catherine the King intended to propose to?
3. Why is Catherine baking lemon tarts at the beginning of the book?
4. During the croquet game, why does Jest accuse Catherine of having been dishonest with him?
5. Why is Catherine flustered at the King's tea party by the King asking her if she likes Jest?
6. How does Hatta feel about Jest trying to keep Catherine from performing at his tea party?
7. Why does the King decide to court Catherine instead of immediately proposing?
8. What upsetting event does Margaret tell Catherine happened at the King's ball?
9. After the King asks permission to court Catherine, how does Catherine know that Jest is waiting outside her window?
10. What does Catherine do with all of the gifts the King sends her while he is courting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plants grow in Catherine’s room several times throughout the novel. Each plant symbolizes something and also serves as Catherine’s inspiration for some action. Write an essay explaining the importance of each of the plants and how they inspire Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining how Meyer draws upon Greek mythology in developing the characters of the Sisters. Include how Meyer transforms the Fates into the Sisters in order to fit her story.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author uses the game of chess to develop Jest’s character and to give structure to the plot.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)