|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the doctors called in Hearts?
2. What does Jest pull out of Jack's hat?
3. What does Hatta tell Catherine cannot be taken back once stolen?
4. What does Jest say about Catherine's demeanor when she talks about baking?
5. What color dress does Catherine want to wear to the ball?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Catherine flustered at the King's tea party by the King asking her if she likes Jest?
2. During the croquet game, why does Jest accuse Catherine of having been dishonest with him?
3. Why is Catherine baking lemon tarts at the beginning of the book?
4. Why do white roses grow in Catherine's room on the night of the King's ball?
5. How does Hatta feel about Jest trying to keep Catherine from performing at his tea party?
6. What reason does the Duke give Catherine for his housekeeper seeming shaken by her visit?
7. Why does Catherine think that the riddle Hatta tells her about a heart is inaccurate?
8. Why is Mary Ann frightened when she comes into Catherine's room on the night of Hatta's tea party?
9. Why does Lion agree to be the last one to enter the Crossroads when the Jabberwock attacks the tea party?
10. Why does the King decide to court Catherine instead of immediately proposing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Meyer uses Carroll’s book as inspiration for her novel. In doing so, she draws heavily on the original work. Write an essay explaining the importance of Carroll’s novel to Heartless and how Meyer draws upon the characters, setting, and even the language of Carroll’s work to write her own novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the theme of loyalty and how the loyalties of the characters influences the decisions they make and, therefore, the outcome of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Catherine undergoes a transformation at the end of the book from Catherine, a kind, loyal young woman, to the Queen of Hearts, an angry and bitter woman bent on revenge. Write an essay explaining Catherine’s transformation, its causes, and what personality traits contributed to her change.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)