|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine suggest the King do about the Jabberwock when Cheshire first tells her about it?
2. What is Cheshire's magical ability?
3. Who does Catherine ask to create a distraction so she can leave the ball?
4. What instrument does Jest play for the King and Catherine?
5. Who comes into Catherine's room just as she returns from Hatta's tea party?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the King's ball, why does Cheshire tell Catherine that he does not think many people know it was Catherine the King intended to propose to?
2. Why is Mary Ann frightened when she comes into Catherine's room on the night of Hatta's tea party?
3. Why do white roses grow in Catherine's room on the night of the King's ball?
4. Why does Catherine insist on going to Peter Peter's pumpkin patch to get a pumpkin for the baking contest?
5. Why was Peter Peter knighted?
6. Why is Catherine disconcerted to learn that the Duke owns the store the cobbler is leaving?
7. Where did the lemons that Catherine used to make lemon tarts for the King's ball come from?
8. What upsetting event does Margaret tell Catherine happened at the King's ball?
9. How does Cheshire know the courtiers who were taken in the Jabberwock's attack on the ball are dead?
10. When Catherine has dinner with her parents after the King's tea party, why does the Marchioness send the dessert away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plants grow in Catherine’s room several times throughout the novel. Each plant symbolizes something and also serves as Catherine’s inspiration for some action. Write an essay explaining the importance of each of the plants and how they inspire Catherine.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing Jest as a romantic hero archetype. Define the archetype and explain how Jest fits that role.
Essay Topic 3
Catherine undergoes a transformation at the end of the book from Catherine, a kind, loyal young woman, to the Queen of Hearts, an angry and bitter woman bent on revenge. Write an essay explaining Catherine’s transformation, its causes, and what personality traits contributed to her change.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)