|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rachel's pediatrician tell Rachel and Mark when Sam was born?
2. How does the newspaper report about the robbery describe Rachel's occupation that irritates her?
3. What is Rachel's position on nouvelle cuisine?
4. What recipe do Julie and Rachel perfect while at Rachel and Mark's Virginia home?
5. Who sends Rachel a fruit basket after she gives birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Rachel enjoy giving cooking demonstrations?
2. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
3. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
4. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
5. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
6. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
7. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
8. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
9. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
10. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of snooping in this novel and the characters who do it. Where does Rachel snoop to discover if Mark is having an affair? What information does she find? How is her snooping different than Jonathan's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jonathan's role as a husband. Why is he willing to put up with Thelma's affair with Mark? How does he attempt to control it? What does he try to persuade Rachel to do?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)