|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the nurse tell Rachel and Mark when she called their Virginia home?
2. Who was having drinks with Thelma at the Washington Hilton, according to Betty?
3. What is Marvin's occupation?
4. What is the name of Rachel and Mark's second son?
5. Who sends Rachel a fruit basket after she gives birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rachel get into the food writing business?
2. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
3. Why does Rachel agree to return to Washington with Mark?
4. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
5. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
6. Describe Juanita's character.
7. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
8. What does Rachel discover in Mark's office?
9. Describe Richard Finkel's character.
10. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jonathan's role as a husband. Why is he willing to put up with Thelma's affair with Mark? How does he attempt to control it? What does he try to persuade Rachel to do?
Essay Topic 2
What prompts Rachel to go into labor? Why does she believe the baby wants to be born early? How does Rachel contrast the birth of Nathaniel with that of Sam?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)