|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard get a ticket for when he proposes to Rachel?
2. What new item of clothing does Rachel see that Mark has draped over a chair in Harry's apartment?
3. What is the name of Rachel and Mark's second son?
4. Who uses four thousand dollars of Arthur and Julie's money to purchase cocaine?
5. What does Marvin take from the fruit basket in Rachel's hospital room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
2. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
3. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
4. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
5. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
6. Describe Juanita's character.
7. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
8. In what way does Rachel seem to be hoping that her marriage will return to normal after Nathaniel is born?
9. Describe Richard's proposal to Rachel.
10. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Mark? Why does he persuade Rachel to return to Washington even though he has no intention of being faithful to her? What does that suggest about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Rachel's diamond ring to this story. When did Mark give her the ring? How does losing it in a robbery symbolize the end of her marriage? What happens that makes Rachel decide to sell it?
Essay Topic 3
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)