|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rachel visit the morning after she returns to Washington with Mark?
2. Whose birthday party does Rachel forget to go to?
3. What meal does Rachel make for Mark the first night she is back home in Washington?
4. What does Betty ask Rachel to bring to dinner to go with the lobsters?
5. Who uses four thousand dollars of Arthur and Julie's money to purchase cocaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Finkel's character.
2. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
3. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
4. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
5. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
6. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
7. Does Rachel enjoy giving cooking demonstrations?
8. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
9. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
10. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of Rachel's diamond ring to this story. When did Mark give her the ring? How does losing it in a robbery symbolize the end of her marriage? What happens that makes Rachel decide to sell it?
Essay Topic 3
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)