|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel say she hates at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
2. What did Rachel's pediatrician tell Rachel and Mark when Sam was born?
3. How tall is Juanita?
4. What do Sam and Mark find in the river near their Virginia home?
5. Who takes Rachel to the hospital when she is at the Rice's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
2. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
3. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
4. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
5. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
6. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
7. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
8. Why does Rachel agree to return to Washington with Mark?
9. How did Rachel get into the food writing business?
10. Describe Juanita's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of snooping in this novel and the characters who do it. Where does Rachel snoop to discover if Mark is having an affair? What information does she find? How is her snooping different than Jonathan's?
Essay Topic 2
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)