|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the two policeman Rachel finds at her Washington home want to return to her?
2. What is Rachel's position on nouvelle cuisine?
3. What is the name of Rachel and Mark's second son?
4. What does Rachel trip over when she is snooping outside the Rice's house?
5. What does Rachel say is hard to include in a book when the author has to move the plot forward?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Richard Finkel's character.
2. Does Rachel enjoy giving cooking demonstrations?
3. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
4. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
5. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
6. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
7. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
8. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
9. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
10. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rachel end her marriage to Mark? What loose ends does she tie up at home with Mark before she leaves? What plans does she make for her immediate future?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's strengths and weaknesses as a character. Do you think she will weather the end of her marriage to Mark and get back on her feet? Why do you think so? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)