|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Rachel a fruit basket after she gives birth?
2. Who visits Rachel in the hospital, listens to her talk, and gives her a head massage?
3. Why does Rachel believe her newborn son arrives early?
4. What kind of stories does Rachel read to Sam after she comes home from the hospital?
5. What subject is the article about that is in Rachel's typewriter in Chapter Nine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
2. Describe Rachel's labor.
3. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
4. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
5. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
6. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
7. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
8. What does Rachel discover in Mark's office?
9. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
10. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
As a therapist, how does Vera seem to help Rachel? How does act as a positive role model for Rachel? In what way does Vera offer comfort and support after Nathaniel is born?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)