|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Julie working when Arthur met her?
2. What did Rachel's pediatrician tell Rachel and Mark when Sam was born?
3. Who sends Rachel a fruit basket after she gives birth?
4. Who takes Rachel to the hospital when she is at the Rice's house?
5. What recipe do Julie and Rachel perfect while at Rachel and Mark's Virginia home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rachel's labor.
2. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
3. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
4. How did Rachel get into the food writing business?
5. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
6. Describe Richard Finkel's character.
7. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
8. Describe Richard's proposal to Rachel.
9. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
10. Describe Juanita's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rachel remain silent after she is released from the hospital? How does this silence make her feel? When she finally breaks her silence at Betty's house, what extreme action does she take? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Rachel worries about being single and thinks about marriage whenever she meets a new man. What does she think about the man on the subway? Does she believe Detective Nolan is someone she could be married to? Why or why not?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)