|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel dislike about Richard's wife?
2. Why does Rachel believe her newborn son arrives early?
3. What excuse does Rachel use for missing Betty's party when she is talking with Betty on the phone?
4. Who was having drinks with Thelma at the Washington Hilton, according to Betty?
5. What do Sam and Mark find in the river near their Virginia home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Rachel seem to be hoping that her marriage will return to normal after Nathaniel is born?
2. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
3. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
4. What does Rachel discover in Mark's office?
5. How did Rachel get into the food writing business?
6. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
7. Describe Richard's proposal to Rachel.
8. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
9. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
10. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Rachel worries about being single and thinks about marriage whenever she meets a new man. What does she think about the man on the subway? Does she believe Detective Nolan is someone she could be married to? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jonathan's role as a husband. Why is he willing to put up with Thelma's affair with Mark? How does he attempt to control it? What does he try to persuade Rachel to do?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)