|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the newspaper that Mark gives Rachel in the airport that has a story about the robbery?
2. What color mustache does Arthur have?
3. What did Rachel's pediatrician tell Rachel and Mark when Sam was born?
4. What is Marvin's occupation?
5. Who does Rachel visit the morning after she returns to Washington with Mark?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Rachel seem to be hoping that her marriage will return to normal after Nathaniel is born?
2. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
3. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
4. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
5. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
6. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
7. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
8. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
9. Describe Richard Finkel's character.
10. Describe Juanita's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
Essay Topic 2
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Rachel worries about being single and thinks about marriage whenever she meets a new man. What does she think about the man on the subway? Does she believe Detective Nolan is someone she could be married to? Why or why not?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)