|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Mark's column that he is working on at the beginning of Chapter Nine?
2. What does Rachel say that Thelma has when she talks to Betty on the phone?
3. How many columns does Mark write a week?
4. Whose birthday party does Rachel forget to go to?
5. What kind of stories does Rachel read to Sam after she comes home from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
2. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
3. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
4. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
5. Does Rachel enjoy giving cooking demonstrations?
6. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
7. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
8. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
9. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
10. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What influence has Richard had on Rachel's life? When he appears at her cooking demonstration, what kind of support does he give her? How does Rachel depend on Richard? Provide specific textual examples to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
Essay Topic 3
What are the members of the therapy group like? Does Rachel feel she will get support from them during this time? Are there tensions between some members? How so?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)