|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arthur make Rachel the day she can eat bland food in the hospital?
2. Who is the note from that Rachel reads after she returns to Washington in Chapter Eleven?
3. What does Betty say that Jonathan organized for his wife that she never showed up for?
4. Where did Arthur and Mark grow up together?
5. What does the nurse tell Rachel and Mark when she called their Virginia home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
2. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
3. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
4. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
5. What is the relationship like between the Feldmans and the Siegels?
6. What does Rachel discover in Mark's office?
7. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
8. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
9. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
10. Why does Rachel agree to return to Washington with Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jonathan's role as a husband. Why is he willing to put up with Thelma's affair with Mark? How does he attempt to control it? What does he try to persuade Rachel to do?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
Essay Topic 3
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)