|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Juanita?
2. What is the subject of Mark's column that he is working on at the beginning of Chapter Nine?
3. What color hair does Richard Finkle have?
4. What does Betty say that Jonathan organized for his wife that she never showed up for?
5. What style does Rachel say Mark sometimes writes his columns in that she describes as "dumb"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the policeman doing in Rachel's Washington house when she returns from the cooking demonstration in New York?
2. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
3. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
4. What is the Siegels' reaction when Rachel calls them to tell them about Mark and Thelma's affair?
5. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
6. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
7. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
8. In what way does Rachel seem to be hoping that her marriage will return to normal after Nathaniel is born?
9. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
10. Why does Rachel agree to return to Washington with Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Rachel worries about being single and thinks about marriage whenever she meets a new man. What does she think about the man on the subway? Does she believe Detective Nolan is someone she could be married to? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What are the members of the therapy group like? Does Rachel feel she will get support from them during this time? Are there tensions between some members? How so?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)