|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Rachel in the hospital, listens to her talk, and gives her a head massage?
2. Who uses four thousand dollars of Arthur and Julie's money to purchase cocaine?
3. What does Rachel discover in the copy of the Washington Post she finds in Mark's office?
4. What does Julie say her daughter flushed down the toilet at school?
5. What did Rachel get from the owner of Chez Helene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonathan doing outside his house when Rachel arrives?
2. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
3. Describe Richard's proposal to Rachel.
4. What does Rachel write about in her article "Potatoes and Love"?
5. Does Rachel enjoy giving cooking demonstrations?
6. What does Arthur do that betrays his marriage and the Feldmans friendship?
7. What does Rachel discover in Mark's office?
8. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
9. Describe Arthur's physical appearance.
10. What does Rachel learn about Thelma's birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's strengths and weaknesses as a character. Do you think she will weather the end of her marriage to Mark and get back on her feet? Why do you think so? Provide specific examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)