Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of take-out does Rachel's father order for her from his apartment?
2. What does Rachel say she heard one day while cooking at her Washington home?
3. What kind of pets did Rachel's first husband have?
4. What positive expression does Rachel use to describe her father at the end of Chapter Three?
5. Who did Rachel's mother marry that she thought was God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vera's physical appearance.
2. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
3. Why is Rachel concerned about having Mark's Aunt Florence on her show?
4. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
5. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
6. What happens to Rachel when she takes the subway to her therapy group meeting?
7. What happens when a robber comes into therapy group?
8. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
9. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
10. Describe Dmitri's character.
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Choose two secondary characters and explain their importance to the story. How do they influence Rachel? In what way do they help the plot advance? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)