|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rachel and Mark dance together for the first time?
2. Who did Rachel give a recipe for carrot cake?
3. What word does Mark use when he describes his first wife, Kimberly?
4. Who did Eleanor find wandering the streets dressed only in a towel?
5. What did Mark and Thelma shop for at Bloomingdales, according to Jonathan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel feel a sense of relief when she discovers Mark's affair?
2. Why does Detective Nolan question Rachel about being in therapy?
3. Does Rachel know the woman her husband is having an affair with?
4. How did Rachel get a cooking show on television?
5. What does Rachel imagine her mother would say about Mark's affair?
6. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
7. What does Rachel think about Detective Nolan?
8. Describe Rachel Samstat's character.
9. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
10. Why does Jonathan visit Rachel in New York City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's success as a cook and food writer. What makes her television show a success? Why do readers find Rachel's writing so appealing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of snooping in this novel and the characters who do it. Where does Rachel snoop to discover if Mark is having an affair? What information does she find? How is her snooping different than Jonathan's?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of person is Mark? Why does he persuade Rachel to return to Washington even though he has no intention of being faithful to her? What does that suggest about his personality?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)