Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of take-out does Rachel's father order for her from his apartment?
2. What does Rachel say she heard one day while cooking at her Washington home?
3. What kind of pets did Rachel's first husband have?
4. What positive expression does Rachel use to describe her father at the end of Chapter Three?
5. Who did Rachel's mother marry that she thought was God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vera's physical appearance.
2. What does Julie tell Rachel about Mark's promise not to see Thelma anymore?
3. Why is Rachel concerned about having Mark's Aunt Florence on her show?
4. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
5. Why is Rachel so upset about the new blazer Mark bought?
6. What happens to Rachel when she takes the subway to her therapy group meeting?
7. What happens when a robber comes into therapy group?
8. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
9. How did Rachel react to seeing an article about herself and the robbery in the Daily News?
10. Describe Dmitri's character.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
Essay Topic 2
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
How do the Siegels show their support of Rachel when Mark is having an affair? What kind of advice do they give her and does Rachel follow it?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)