|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recipe directs cooks to cut off the stems carefully or the dish will be hairy?
2. Who tells Rachel that she saw Mark and another woman at a hotel in Chicago?
3. What does Rachel compare Amelia to?
4. Who taught Rachel how to cook mushrooms?
5. Where is Rachel's father in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mark get Rachel to marry him?
2. What was Rachel and Mark's early relationship like?
3. Describe Amelia's role in Rachel's life.
4. What are some of the rules of Rachel's therapy group?
5. What happens when a robber comes into therapy group?
6. What kind of details does Jonathan relate to Rachel about Mark and Thelma's relationship?
7. What were Mark and Thelma doing the day that Thelma wrote an inscription in a child's song book to signify the importance of the day?
8. How does Rachel feel about going back to her therapy group?
9. Describe Vera's physical appearance.
10. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of snooping in this novel and the characters who do it. Where does Rachel snoop to discover if Mark is having an affair? What information does she find? How is her snooping different than Jonathan's?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)