|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of job did Rachel's mother have when Rachel was growing up?
2. What does Rachel say her contractor forgot to put on their West Virginia property?
3. What recipe directs cooks to cut off the stems carefully or the dish will be hairy?
4. What kind of casserole was Rachel's mother famous for?
5. What time did Rachel tell Mark that she heard something while cooking at her Washington home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
2. Why does Harry order a lot of stationery?
3. What are some of the details Rachel gives Detective Nolan about the robber?
4. What caused Rachel to break up with Mark?
5. Why does Jonathan visit Rachel in New York City?
6. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
7. How does Ellis react when he sees Rachel when he is buying popcorn?
8. What happened to Mr. Abbey, Rachel's Washington neighbor?
9. How does Rachel discover her husband is having an affair?
10. How does Harry help Rachel deal with being upset about Mark's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Mark? Why does he persuade Rachel to return to Washington even though he has no intention of being faithful to her? What does that suggest about his personality?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rachel remain silent after she is released from the hospital? How does this silence make her feel? When she finally breaks her silence at Betty's house, what extreme action does she take? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two secondary characters and explain their importance to the story. How do they influence Rachel? In what way do they help the plot advance? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)