|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rachel stay when she goes to New York?
2. After the robbery at group, what do the police use to transport the group to the police station?
3. What is Harry wearing when he returns to his apartment in Chapter Three?
4. How far along is Rachel's pregnancy in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter Two, what does Rachel say she loves about marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the details Rachel gives Detective Nolan about the robber?
2. What are some of the rules of Rachel's therapy group?
3. Why does Rachel feel a sense of relief when she discovers Mark's affair?
4. Why does Harry order a lot of stationery?
5. Why does Jonathan visit Rachel in New York City?
6. What does Rachel imagine her mother would say about Mark's affair?
7. Describe Amelia's role in Rachel's life.
8. How does Ellis react when he sees Rachel when he is buying popcorn?
9. What happens to Rachel when she takes the subway to her therapy group meeting?
10. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
What prompts Rachel to go into labor? Why does she believe the baby wants to be born early? How does Rachel contrast the birth of Nathaniel with that of Sam?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two secondary characters and explain their importance to the story. How do they influence Rachel? In what way do they help the plot advance? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)