|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charlie refuse to give Vera when she was moving out of their apartment?
2. What do Rachel and Betty Searle try to figure out in Chapter 1?
3. Who is Lucy Mae Hopkins?
4. How many children does Rachel have at the beginning of the novel?
5. Who is Mr. Abbey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rachel discovers Mark's affair?
2. How does Mark get Rachel to marry him?
3. Describe Bebe's occupation.
4. What were Mark and Thelma doing the day that Thelma wrote an inscription in a child's song book to signify the importance of the day?
5. Does Rachel know the woman her husband is having an affair with?
6. How did Rachel get a cooking show on television?
7. What happens when Rachel's producer hires her a voice coach?
8. How does Rachel feel about going back to her therapy group?
9. What does Rachel think about Detective Nolan?
10. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of snooping in this novel and the characters who do it. Where does Rachel snoop to discover if Mark is having an affair? What information does she find? How is her snooping different than Jonathan's?
Essay Topic 2
How do the Siegels show their support of Rachel when Mark is having an affair? What kind of advice do they give her and does Rachel follow it?
Essay Topic 3
What influence has Richard had on Rachel's life? When he appears at her cooking demonstration, what kind of support does he give her? How does Rachel depend on Richard? Provide specific textual examples to support your points.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)