|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What recipe did Rachel's mother like to make for her New Year's Day party?
2. After the robbery at group, what do the police use to transport the group to the police station?
3. Who taught Rachel how to cook mushrooms?
4. When did Mark give Rachel the diamond ring that she hides in her bra?
5. How long does it take Mark to arrive home after his wife calls him to tell him she knows about his affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the jewelers that is important to Rachel's future?
2. What were Mark and Thelma doing the day that Thelma wrote an inscription in a child's song book to signify the importance of the day?
3. What marital fantasy does Rachel have in the airport on the way home to Washington?
4. Why does Rachel feel a sense of relief when she discovers Mark's affair?
5. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
6. How do Arthur and Julie keep Rachel entertained in the hospital?
7. How does Rachel describe her first husband, Charlie?
8. Describe Nathaniel's physical appearance.
9. Why does Betty want to give a dance for Thelma?
10. How did Rachel get a cooking show on television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two secondary characters and explain their importance to the story. How do they influence Rachel? In what way do they help the plot advance? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why Rachel worries about being single and thinks about marriage whenever she meets a new man. What does she think about the man on the subway? Does she believe Detective Nolan is someone she could be married to? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Rachel remain silent after she is released from the hospital? How does this silence make her feel? When she finally breaks her silence at Betty's house, what extreme action does she take? Why?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)