|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Rachel living when she first met Mark?
2. Where is Mark when his wife calls and says she knows about his affair?
3. What stock did Rachel's parents invest in that made them rich?
4. Why does Rachel say she would not introduce her therapy group members into a book under normal circumstances?
5. What is the name of the detective who takes Rachel's statement after the mugging at group therapy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Vera's physical appearance.
2. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
3. How did Rachel get a cooking show on television?
4. Why does Harry order a lot of stationery?
5. What does Rachel imagine her mother would say about Mark's affair?
6. Why is Rachel concerned about having Mark's Aunt Florence on her show?
7. What does Rachel think about Detective Nolan?
8. Why does Detective Nolan question Rachel about being in therapy?
9. How does Mark get Rachel to marry him?
10. Describe Rachel Samstat's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Rachel's opinion about the connection between food and love? How can she tell which stage of a relationship she is by the potatoes she is making? Provide textual examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Mark? Why does he persuade Rachel to return to Washington even though he has no intention of being faithful to her? What does that suggest about his personality?
Essay Topic 3
What role does food play in this novel? How is it important to Rachel's life and marriage? Why does Rachel provide recipes as she tells the story of her marriage breaking up? Do the recipes add to the story? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)