|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rachel find at her father's apartment after she is interviewed by the police?
2. What stock did Rachel's parents invest in that made them rich?
3. What kind of routine was Rachel doing when Richard first saw her?
4. What story does Mark like to tell that Rachel describes as a "novella"?
5. How old is Rachel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry help Rachel deal with being upset about Mark's affair?
2. Why does Detective Nolan question Rachel about being in therapy?
3. Describe Amelia's role in Rachel's life.
4. Why is Rachel concerned about having Mark's Aunt Florence on her show?
5. Describe Rachel Samstat's character.
6. Where is Rachel's father, Harry, when Rachel arrives at his apartment?
7. What does Rachel think about Detective Nolan?
8. What were Mark and Thelma doing the day that Thelma wrote an inscription in a child's song book to signify the importance of the day?
9. What happens when a robber comes into therapy group?
10. What caused Rachel to break up with Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rachel's parents and their influence in her life. What kind of role models are they? Does she wish she could share this experience with her mother? How does her father attempt to comfort her? In what way have both her parents failed her?
Essay Topic 2
How is humor used in this novel in an effective way? Does Rachel like to use humor to deal with serious, distressing experiences? How so? Provide specific textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jonathan's role as a husband. Why is he willing to put up with Thelma's affair with Mark? How does he attempt to control it? What does he try to persuade Rachel to do?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)