|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharikov do since he is so upset by his argument with Philippovich ?
2. What does Sharik do "with reckless ease"?
3. Who does Sharikov bring back with him to the apartment late at night in Chapter 8?
4. What does Sharikov say he wants to do in the evening in Chapter 7?
5. What does Sharik catch with his fingers in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
3. What does Philippovich tell the police about Sarik's surgery?
4. In Chapter 8, what conclusion does Philippovich come to about his operation on Sharik?
5. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
6. At the end of the argument about socialism, what does Philippovich tell Zina to do?
7. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
8. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
9. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
10. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in Heart of a Dog. Who is in conflict with who or what? How do the conflicts play out in the narrative? Are the conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)