|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharik suspect there may be in his ancestry?
2. How does Sharikov die?
3. Philippovich tells Bormenthal to take Sharikov where he wants to go on what condition?
4. How does Sharik feel at the end of the story?
5. When asked about his smell, what does Sharikov say he has been doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik say he suspects about his ancestry in the Epilogue?
2. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
3. What definition is the reader unsure of at the end of Chapter 7?
4. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
5. How does Sharikov die?
6. In Chapter 8, what conclusion does Philippovich come to about his operation on Sharik?
7. What does one of Philippovich's patients bring to show Philippovich in Chapter 9?
8. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
9. What happens when Sharikov chases a cat into the bathroom in Chapter 6?
10. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss socialism as it is portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel Heart of a Dog. How does the novel end? Were you surprised by the ending? What tone is the conclusion written in?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)