|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippovich waiting for at the end of Chapter 7?
2. By the time the commotion that Sharikov causes in Chapter 8 is over, what is the hour?
3. What did Sharikov say he would buy with the money from the committee?
4. What rumor has Shyonder been spreading about Sharik?
5. What does Sharik say has been ailing him lately in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how has Sharikov become even more like Klim?
2. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
3. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
4. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
5. How does Sharikov die?
6. What document does Sharik ask Philippovich to get for him in Chapter 6?
7. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
8. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
9. Why is the house committee upset with Sharikov in Chapter 9?
10. Who does Sharikov bring home with him after going out drinking and how are they dealt with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)