|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sharikov break the glass in Apartment 7?
2. What does the dog have on his head?
3. What does Philippovich ask Shyonder in Chapter 6?
4. How does Sharik refer to Bormenthal in the Epilogue?
5. Who appears in the hallway with an angry face in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich tell the police about Sarik's surgery?
2. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
3. In Chapter 8, how has Sharikov become even more like Klim?
4. What happens when Sharikov chases a cat into the bathroom in Chapter 6?
5. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
6. Why is the house committee upset with Sharikov in Chapter 9?
7. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
8. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
9. What does Sharikov tell the doctors he has read in Chapter 7?
10. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Philippovich. What are his defining character traits? What does he do for a living, and how do his profession and interests lead to problems in the novel? What social class does he belong to? How does this influence him?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)