|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Philippovich wearing when the police come to his apartment?
2. What does the dog have on his head?
3. How many days does Sharikov disappear for in Chapter 9?
4. How did Sharikov break the glass in Apartment 7?
5. What does Sharikov think of the theatre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik say he suspects about his ancestry in the Epilogue?
2. In Chapter 8, how has Sharikov become even more like Klim?
3. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Sharikov want to do in the evening?
5. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
6. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
7. What definition is the reader unsure of at the end of Chapter 7?
8. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
9. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
10. Where does Sharikov find a job, and who helps him find it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss conflict in Heart of a Dog. Who is in conflict with who or what? How do the conflicts play out in the narrative? Are the conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)