|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sends Philippovich through the roof at dinner?
2. When Sharikov and Bormenthal leave for the evening in Chapter 7, what does Philippovich do?
3. What does Sharik do "with reckless ease"?
4. What does Sharikov do since he is so upset by his argument with Philippovich ?
5. What word does Sharik use to refer to the men around him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharikov die?
2. Who does Sharikov bring home with him after going out drinking and how are they dealt with?
3. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
5. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
6. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
7. What does one of Philippovich's patients bring to show Philippovich in Chapter 9?
8. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
9. Where does Sharikov find a job, and who helps him find it?
10. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)