|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked about his smell, what does Sharikov say he has been doing?
2. Where does the dog run out from in the Epilogue?
3. Who does Sharikov blame his thefts on in Chapter 8?
4. How did Sharikov break the glass in Apartment 7?
5. What has Sharikov gotten a job doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
2. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
3. At the end of the argument about socialism, what does Philippovich tell Zina to do?
4. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
5. What does Sharik say he suspects about his ancestry in the Epilogue?
6. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
7. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
8. In Chapter 8, what conclusion does Philippovich come to about his operation on Sharik?
9. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
10. What do the men argue about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)