|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sharik refer to Bormenthal in the Epilogue?
2. What does Sharik do "with reckless ease"?
3. What does the dog have on his head?
4. Who brings Philippovich a report to look at in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 9 what had Sharikov told the young woman had happened to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What document does Sharik ask Philippovich to get for him in Chapter 6?
2. What happens when Sharikov chases a cat into the bathroom in Chapter 6?
3. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
4. Why is the house committee upset with Sharikov in Chapter 9?
5. What do the men argue about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
6. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
7. What definition is the reader unsure of at the end of Chapter 7?
8. Where does Sharikov find a job, and who helps him find it?
9. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
10. How does Sharikov die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 2
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)