|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Sharikov disappear for in Chapter 9?
2. Who does Philippovich ask to bring in the dog in the Epilogue?
3. How does Zina feel after Sharikov disappears in Chapter 9?
4. What is Philippovich waiting for at the end of Chapter 7?
5. What does Sharikov do after Philippovich tells him to leave the apartment in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
2. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
3. What happens when Sharikov chases a cat into the bathroom in Chapter 6?
4. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
5. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
6. What document does Sharik ask Philippovich to get for him in Chapter 6?
7. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
8. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
9. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
10. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze the character Sharikov. What are his defining character traits? How is he connected to Klim and Sharik? What is his relationship like with Philippovich?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)