|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sharikov bring back with him to the apartment late at night in Chapter 8?
2. What does the object in the jar that Philippovich examines in Chapter 7 look like?
3. After returning home what is Sharikov NOT found to have stolen?
4. Who does Philippovich ask to bring in the dog in the Epilogue?
5. How does Sharikov die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Sharikov want to do in the evening?
4. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 8, what conclusion does Philippovich come to about his operation on Sharik?
6. What does Philippovich tell the police about Sarik's surgery?
7. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
8. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
9. Who does Sharikov bring home with him after going out drinking and how are they dealt with?
10. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author, Mikhail Bulgakov, and his work. What other work has he done? Does he always write in the same genre? What are some recurring themes found throughout his works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)