|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the theme of the book Sharikov read?
2. What does Philippovich suggest Sharikov do in the evening?
3. Who helped Sharik come up with his name?
4. What is the object that Philippovich examines in a jar?
5. Who does Sharikov blame his thefts on in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
2. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
3. At the end of the argument about socialism, what does Philippovich tell Zina to do?
4. What does Sharikov tell the doctors he has read in Chapter 7?
5. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
6. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
7. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
8. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
9. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
10. How does Sharikov die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)