|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich conclude that the hypophysis is?
2. What does Zina see Bormenthal burning?
3. What is the object that Philippovich examines in a jar?
4. After returning home what is Sharikov NOT found to have stolen?
5. Where does Sharikov chase a cat into in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
2. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
3. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
4. Why is the house committee upset with Sharikov in Chapter 9?
5. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
6. At the end of the argument about socialism, what does Philippovich tell Zina to do?
7. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
8. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
9. What do the police officers want to know about the dog?
10. What does Philippovich tell the police about Sarik's surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss conflict in Heart of a Dog. Who is in conflict with who or what? How do the conflicts play out in the narrative? Are the conflicts resolved? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)