|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the apartment building's doorman?
2. Who does Philippovich ask to bring in the dog in the Epilogue?
3. Who appears in the hallway with an angry face in Chapter 8?
4. What does Sharikov say he wants to do in the evening in Chapter 7?
5. What does Sharik catch with his fingers in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
2. What does Sharik say he suspects about his ancestry in the Epilogue?
3. On what condition does Philippovich allow Sharikov to go to the circus?
4. What do the men argue about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
6. In Chapter 8, how has Sharikov become even more like Klim?
7. What does one of Philippovich's patients bring to show Philippovich in Chapter 9?
8. What document does Sharik ask Philippovich to get for him in Chapter 6?
9. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
10. Where does Sharikov find a job, and who helps him find it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Sharik. What are Sharik's defining character traits? What is Sharik doing when the reader is first introduced to him? What happens to Sharik throughout the novel? What is your opinion of Sharik as a narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Philippovich. What are his defining character traits? What does he do for a living, and how do his profession and interests lead to problems in the novel? What social class does he belong to? How does this influence him?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)