|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Philippovich compared to while in his study in Chapter 7?
2. What does Philippovich lock the jar within?
3. What does Sharik refer to Phillipovich as in the Epilogue?
4. What sends Philippovich through the roof at dinner?
5. What has Sharikov reported against Philippovich ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sends Philippovich through the roof at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
2. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
3. At the end of the argument about socialism, what does Philippovich tell Zina to do?
4. What definition is the reader unsure of at the end of Chapter 7?
5. What does Sharikov tell the doctors he has read in Chapter 7?
6. What do the men argue about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
7. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
8. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
9. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
10. What does one of Philippovich's patients bring to show Philippovich in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author, Mikhail Bulgakov, and his work. What other work has he done? Does he always write in the same genre? What are some recurring themes found throughout his works?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)