|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Philip's maid?
2. Where did the gentleman in Chapter 1 buy his meat?
3. What kind of staircase does the gentleman's building have?
4. Where is Sharik locked up in Chapter 4?
5. What word does Sharik use to describe Philippovich in the examination room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
2. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
3. In the Epilogue, what does Sharik say makes him feel better?
4. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
5. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
6. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
7. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
8. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
9. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
10. What happens when Sharikov chases a cat into the bathroom in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)