|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich do after the surgery?
2. After dinner, where does Philippovich say he is going?
3. Which of the following is not one of the first words Sharik started saying?
4. How does Dr. Bormenthal feel watching Sharik's transformation?
5. What group are the four young men who visit Philippovich's office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
2. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
3. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
4. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
5. What does Sharikov do to himself following his argument with Philip in Chapter 8?
6. How is Sharik dressed at the dinner table in Chapter 6?
7. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
8. What do the police officers want to know about the dog?
9. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
10. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author, Mikhail Bulgakov, and his work. What other work has he done? Does he always write in the same genre? What are some recurring themes found throughout his works?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)