|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philip admit on January 8th?
2. How does Philippovich act as he talks on the phone in Chapter 4?
3. What does the typist's lover buy her off with?
4. What frightens the dog in the examination room?
5. Which of the following does the dog NOT decide about the gentleman in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
2. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
3. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
4. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
5. In Chapter 3, what does Sharik destroy from Philippovich's office, and why isn't he punished?
6. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
7. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
8. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
9. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
10. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Bulgakov's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism in the novel Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the symbols.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)