|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich threaten to do after having been asked to give up two of his rooms?
2. How does Dr. Bormenthal feel watching Sharik's transformation?
3. What word does Sharik use to describe Philippovich in the examination room?
4. What is Philippovich's response when he is asked how he manages to do everything he does?
5. Where does the dog forage for food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
2. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
3. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
4. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
5. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
6. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
7. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
8. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
9. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
10. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social classes as they are portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog. What social classes are portrayed? Which characters represent the social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)