|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich advise his patient who is entangled with a fourteen year old girl to do?
2. How did the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery die?
3. What did Philippovich expect would be the effect of his surgery on Sharik?
4. What is the gentleman told when he reaches his building?
5. What does Philippovich advise the group of four who visit his office to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, what does Sharik destroy from Philippovich's office, and why isn't he punished?
2. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
3. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
4. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
5. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
6. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
9. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
10. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine and analyze the character Sharikov. What are his defining character traits? How is he connected to Klim and Sharik? What is his relationship like with Philippovich?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character Philippovich. What are his defining character traits? What does he do for a living, and how do his profession and interests lead to problems in the novel? What social class does he belong to? How does this influence him?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)