|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Philippovich call to complain about being asked to give up two of his rooms?
2. In Chapter 4, Bormenthal announces that someone had died how many hours ago?
3. What does Philippovich advise his patient who is entangled with a fourteen year old girl to do?
4. What does Philippovich threaten to do after having been asked to give up two of his rooms?
5. What kind of weather is occurring in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
2. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
3. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
4. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
5. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
6. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
7. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
8. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
9. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
10. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character Philippovich. What are his defining character traits? What does he do for a living, and how do his profession and interests lead to problems in the novel? What social class does he belong to? How does this influence him?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism in the novel Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the symbols.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)