Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog said to feel for Philippovich?
2. Besides his seminal vesticles, what does Philippovich remove from Sharik?
3. What did the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery do for a living?
4. What does Sharik rip to shreds in Chapter 3?
5. What group are the four young men who visit Philippovich's office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
4. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
9. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
10. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)