|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the gentleman in Chapter 1 buy his meat?
2. Where does the dog forage for food?
3. What does the dog think about how people eat?
4. On evenings Philippovich stays in, what does he study in his office?
5. What does Sharik call the second doctor at Philippovich's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
2. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
3. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
4. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
5. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
6. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
9. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
10. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)