|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philippovich feel about the new Soviet order in Moscow?
2. What establishments does the dog look for food around especially?
3. What is the gentleman told when he reaches his building?
4. On evenings Philippovich stays in, what does he study in his office?
5. What word does Sharik use to describe Philippovich in the examination room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
2. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
4. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
5. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
6. What causes Sharik distress early in Chapter 4?
7. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
8. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
9. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
10. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)