|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the quotation, "No man can serve two masters" from?
2. What does the dog know the well-dressed gentleman is carrying?
3. Where did the gentleman in Chapter 1 buy his meat?
4. What does the item Bormenthal is carrying smell like to Sharik?
5. In Chapter 4, Bormenthal announces that someone had died how many hours ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
2. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
3. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
4. What does Sharik say he suspects about his ancestry in the Epilogue?
5. What does Philippovich tell the police about Sarik's surgery?
6. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
7. How does Sharikov die?
8. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
9. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
10. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Bulgakov's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism in the novel Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the symbols.
Essay Topic 2
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)