|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does one of Philippovich's patients have?
2. Which of the following is not one of the first words Sharik started saying?
3. What is the name of Philippovich's cook?
4. What does the dog notice when he wakes up?
5. What does Philippovich wonder if Karl Marx has banned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
2. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
3. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
4. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
5. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
6. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
7. What does Sharik look like in the Epilogue?
8. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
9. What do the police officers want to know about the dog?
10. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
Essay Topic 1
Examine and analyze the character Sharikov. What are his defining character traits? How is he connected to Klim and Sharik? What is his relationship like with Philippovich?
Essay Topic 2
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
This section contains 1,204 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)