|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sharik feel at first to be wearing a collar and leash?
2. After dinner, where does Philippovich say he is going?
3. What is the name of the gentleman in Chapter 1?
4. What is the dog's education said to have started with?
5. Within how many days does Sharik show signs of recovery from the surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
2. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
4. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
5. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
6. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
7. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
8. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
9. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
10. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)