Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog said to feel for Philippovich?
2. Besides his seminal vesticles, what does Philippovich remove from Sharik?
3. What did the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery do for a living?
4. What does Sharik rip to shreds in Chapter 3?
5. What group are the four young men who visit Philippovich's office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
4. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
9. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
10. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)