|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog said to feel for Philippovich?
2. Besides his seminal vesticles, what does Philippovich remove from Sharik?
3. What did the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery do for a living?
4. What does Sharik rip to shreds in Chapter 3?
5. What group are the four young men who visit Philippovich's office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
4. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
9. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
10. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
Essay Topic 2
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author, Mikhail Bulgakov, and his work. What other work has he done? Does he always write in the same genre? What are some recurring themes found throughout his works?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)