|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gentleman told when he reaches his building?
2. What does Philippovich admit at the end of Chapter 4?
3. How does Philippovich act as he talks on the phone in Chapter 4?
4. What kind of weather is occurring in Chapter 1?
5. What is thrown at the dog in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
2. What does Bormenthal offer to do to deal with Sharikov?
3. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
5. What do the police officers want to know about the dog?
6. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
7. What does Philippovich ask Shvonder when he comes to the apartment in Chapter 6?
8. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
9. How does Sharikov explain his smell when he returns home after three days?
10. Who does Sharikov bring home with him from work one day in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss socialism as it is portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)