|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philippovich feel about the new Soviet order in Moscow?
2. What kind of weather is occurring in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Dr. Bormenthal make most of the observations about Sharik's progress?
4. What is the name of the dog?
5. Who asks to be excused from the dog's surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
2. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
3. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
4. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
6. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
7. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
8. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
9. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
10. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Sharik. What are Sharik's defining character traits? What is Sharik doing when the reader is first introduced to him? What happens to Sharik throughout the novel? What is your opinion of Sharik as a narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss socialism as it is portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)