|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens the dog in the examination room?
2. What is the name of the second doctor at Philippovich's office?
3. How does Sharik feel at first to be wearing a collar and leash?
4. What is the dog's education said to have started with?
5. How does Dr. Bormenthal feel watching Sharik's transformation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
3. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
4. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
5. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
6. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
7. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
8. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
9. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
10. What causes Sharik distress early in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Bulgakov's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism in the novel Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the symbols.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)