Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dog said to feel for Philippovich?
2. Besides his seminal vesticles, what does Philippovich remove from Sharik?
3. What did the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery do for a living?
4. What does Sharik rip to shreds in Chapter 3?
5. What group are the four young men who visit Philippovich's office from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sharik want his official name to be, and how did he come up with it?
2. Who comes to the apartment at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
4. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
7. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
8. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
9. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
10. What does Philippovich do after Sharikov and Bormenthal leave the apartment in Chapter 7?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss socialism as it is portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)