|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Sharik locked up in Chapter 4?
2. What happens on January 6th?
3. What establishments does the dog look for food around especially?
4. What does the item Bormenthal is carrying smell like to Sharik?
5. What is the name of Philippovich's cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
2. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
3. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
4. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
5. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
6. What causes Sharik distress early in Chapter 4?
7. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
8. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
9. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
10. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel Heart of a Dog. How does the novel end? Were you surprised by the ending? What tone is the conclusion written in?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)