|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Philippovich act as he talks on the phone in Chapter 4?
2. Where does Sharik lie while the doctors are eating dinner?
3. How does the man that the dog bit describe the dog?
4. After dinner, where does Philippovich say he is going?
5. How does Sharik feel when his is locked up in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
2. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
3. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Sharik destroy from Philippovich's office, and why isn't he punished?
5. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
6. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
7. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
8. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
9. What does Philippovich rant about at dinner with Dr. Bormenthal?
10. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character, Sharik. What are Sharik's defining character traits? What is Sharik doing when the reader is first introduced to him? What happens to Sharik throughout the novel? What is your opinion of Sharik as a narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of symbolism. What are some examples of symbolism in the novel Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the symbols.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)