|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the dog forage for food?
2. What does Philippovich say he will use to perform an ovarian transplant?
3. What word does Sharik use to describe Philippovich in the examination room?
4. On evenings Philippovich stays in, what does he study in his office?
5. What does Sharik begin doing on January 10th?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
2. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
3. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
4. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
5. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
6. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
7. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
8. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
9. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
10. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel Heart of a Dog. How does the novel end? Were you surprised by the ending? What tone is the conclusion written in?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)