|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What establishments does the dog look for food around especially?
2. What caused the dog to begin his education? .
3. What does Sharik call Bormenthal before falling asleep?
4. What does the item Bormenthal is carrying smell like to Sharik?
5. What is the dog afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
3. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
4. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
5. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
6. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
7. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
8. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
9. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
10. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character Philippovich. What are his defining character traits? What does he do for a living, and how do his profession and interests lead to problems in the novel? What social class does he belong to? How does this influence him?
Essay Topic 2
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)