|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dog think the gentleman in Chapter 1 smells like?
2. Who is interested to know what is going on with Philippovich's experiment?
3. What was the name of the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
4. On evenings Philippovich stays in, what does he study in his office?
5. What once stood in the hallway of Philippovich's building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
2. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
3. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
4. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
5. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
6. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
7. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
8. Besides the missing galoshes stand, what complaints does Philippovich voice about the new Soviet order?
9. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
10. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author, Mikhail Bulgakov, and his work. What other work has he done? Does he always write in the same genre? What are some recurring themes found throughout his works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social classes as they are portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog. What social classes are portrayed? Which characters represent the social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)