|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sharik begin doing on January 10th?
2. What caused the dog to begin his education? .
3. Who takes Sharik for a walk in Chapter 3?
4. Where did the gentleman in Chapter 1 buy his meat?
5. In Chapter 1, who throws something at the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
2. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
3. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
4. In Chapter 3, what does Sharik destroy from Philippovich's office, and why isn't he punished?
5. What procedure do Dr. Bormenthal and Philippovich carry out on Sharik?
6. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
7. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
8. What does the dog note about the food people eat?
9. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
10. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)