|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the dog learn to do on his own?
2. What was the name of the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
3. How does Sharik feel about living with Philippovich?
4. What does the dog judge people by?
5. What is the name of Philippovich's cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
2. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
3. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
4. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
5. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
6. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
7. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
8. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
9. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
10. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret the reference to Faust. Who is Faust? What is the Faust legend about? How does the Faust legend relate to Heart of a Dog? Analyze and interpret the reference.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss socialism as it is portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret Bulgakov's use of metaphors in Heart of a Dog. What is a metaphor? What are some examples of metaphors in the novel? Analyze and interpret the meaning behind the metaphors.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)