|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich say is the only way to get living creatures to respond?
2. How does Philippovich act as he talks on the phone in Chapter 4?
3. What does Sharik begin doing on January 10th?
4. Who asks to be excused from the dog's surgery?
5. What is the name of the gentleman in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the dog judge people, and what does he decide about the sharply dressed gentleman?
2. What does Philippovich's doorman tell him when he arrives home at the end of the chapter?
3. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
4. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
5. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
6. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
7. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
8. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
9. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
10. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the freedom versus comforts conflict in the novel Heart of a Dog. How do the characters, particularly Philippovich and Sharik, struggle with this conflict? What are some examples of freedoms in the novel, as well as some examples of comforts?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel Heart of a Dog. How does the novel end? Were you surprised by the ending? What tone is the conclusion written in?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)