|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich threaten to do after having been asked to give up two of his rooms?
2. Where did the gentleman in Chapter 1 buy his meat?
3. Who does Philippovich call to complain about being asked to give up two of his rooms?
4. How does the man that the dog bit describe the dog?
5. What does the dog know the well-dressed gentleman is carrying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Sharik distress early in Chapter 4?
2. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
3. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
4. What does Sharik look like around January 8th?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
7. How does Sharik feel about being made to wear a collar?
8. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
9. Why does Bormenthal close his case history at the end of Chapter 5?
10. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the proletariat social class. Who is a proletariat in the novel? Who dislikes the proletariats? Why? Based on the novel, what might Bulgakov's opinion of proletariat be?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze the character Sharikov. What are his defining character traits? How is he connected to Klim and Sharik? What is his relationship like with Philippovich?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)