|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Philippovich expect would be the effect of his surgery on Sharik?
2. What does Bormenthal shave to prepare Sharik for the operation?
3. Who asks to be excused from the dog's surgery?
4. What happens on January 6th?
5. What does the dog think the gentleman in Chapter 1 smells like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
2. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
3. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
4. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
5. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
6. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
7. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
8. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
9. What causes Sharik distress early in Chapter 4?
10. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Bulgakov have chosen to include an epilogue? How does the epilogue change one's experience of the novel? Does the epilogue go in a different direction than expected? Would the novel be substantially different if the epilogue was not included?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social classes as they are portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog. What social classes are portrayed? Which characters represent the social classes?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)