|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens the dog in the examination room?
2. Besides his seminal vesticles, what does Philippovich remove from Sharik?
3. What is the name of the dog?
4. What does Sharik begin doing on January 10th?
5. Where does Sharik lie while the doctors are eating dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
2. What does the dog observe about a typist in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 3, what does Sharik destroy from Philippovich's office, and why isn't he punished?
4. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
5. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
6. Why does Zina beg to be excused from the surgery?
7. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
8. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
9. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
10. What direction does Philippovich give Dr. Bormenthal in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret Heart of a Dog as a satire. What is a satire? What makes Heart of a Dog a satire? What does the novel satirize?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Romantic movement and how it relates to the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some characteristics of the Romantic movement? What elements of the novel are influenced by the Romantic movement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Philippovich's creation and his need to create. What does Philippovich create? Why does he do so? What effect does his creation have on him? Was his creation successful?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)