|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippovich wonder if Karl Marx has banned?
2. What does Philippovich admit at the end of Chapter 4?
3. Who asks to be excused from the dog's surgery?
4. What happens on January 6th?
5. What does Philippovich tell the other doctor not to discuss at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
2. What is the sharply dressed gentleman carrying in his pocket?
3. What progress does Sharik make after January 10th?
4. What does Sharik notice when he awakes in the examination room in Chapter 2?
5. What are the first signs that Sharik is undergoing a transformation?
6. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
7. Where does Zina take Sharik when he arrives at Philippovich's apartment, and what frightens him there?
8. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
9. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
10. What excites Philippovich early in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social classes as they are portrayed in the novel Heart of a Dog. What social classes are portrayed? Which characters represent the social classes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze the character Sharikov. What are his defining character traits? How is he connected to Klim and Sharik? What is his relationship like with Philippovich?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)