|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Sharik use to describe Philippovich in the examination room?
2. What is thrown at the dog in Chapter 1?
3. What is the dog's education said to have started with?
4. What does Philippovich say is the only way to get living creatures to respond?
5. Who asks to be excused from the dog's surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the group of four young people want, and how does Philippovich deal with the situation?
2. What are Sharik's last thoughts before being put under for the surgery?
3. What does Bormenthal find out about the man whose organs were used for Sharik's surgery?
4. What does Philippovich admit after the surgery is complete?
5. What is the dog doing at the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. How does Philippovich say he was able to get Sharik to follow him home?
7. How does Sharik learn to read and why?
8. Describe some of Philippovich's patients.
9. What does Philippovich think has happened to his galoshes?
10. What does Philippovich admit on January 8th?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the religion motif in the novel Heart of a Dog. What are some of the religious or Biblical allusions and metaphors found throughout the novel? Analyze and interpret the different religious references.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Russian Revolution. Why is the Russian Revolution referenced in the book Heart of a Dog? What does Philippovich feel about the changes that have taken place because of the revolution? What changes have taken place?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the father son relationship between Philippovich and Sharikov. What arguments and conflicts do they often have? How do their differences affect their relationship?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)