* A dog without a collar or tags begs for food and forages for scraps in alleyways.
* A cook throws boiling water on the dog, singeing off his body hair. The dog is cold, in pain, and hungry.
* The dog observes a ninth-grade typist whose lover takes advantage of her.
* The dog judges people by their eyes.
* The dog encounters a well dressed man. He can smell the sausage in the man's pocket. From his eyes he can tell he is a man who would not hurt a dog.
* The man, Philip Philippovich, gives the dog a piece of the sausage. Upon finding no tags on the dog he takes the dog home with him.
* Philippovich arrives at his building where his doorman tells him that more tenants are moving into the building. The apartments will be partitioned into smaller units to accommodate them.
* The dog, named...
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)