• A dog without a collar or tags begs for food and forages for scraps in alleyways.
• A cook throws boiling water on the dog, singeing off his body hair. The dog is cold, in pain, and hungry.
• The dog observes a ninth-grade typist whose lover takes advantage of her.
• The dog judges people by their eyes.
• The dog encounters a well dressed man. He can smell the sausage in the man's pocket. From his eyes he can tell he is a man who would not hurt a dog.
• The man, Philip Philippovich, gives the dog a piece of the sausage. Upon finding no tags on the dog he takes the dog home with him.
• Philippovich arrives at his building where his doorman tells him that more tenants are moving into the building. The apartments will be partitioned into smaller units to accommodate them.
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)