|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kamejiro goes to work on one of Whip Hoxworth's plantations, what does he ask for permission to build?
2. What does Goro's new wife think about the Sakagawa household?
3. Why do Kamejiro and his wife have trouble saving $400?
4. When Mun Ki is diagnosed with leprosy and sent to the leper colony on Molokai, accompanied by his pregnant wife, Char Nyuk Tsin, what do the two of them find there?
5. 20-year-old Sakagawa Kamejiro courts Yoko. Before he leaves for Hawaii, what does he tell his family he will do when he is ready to marry her?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship shared by each of the following couples:
(a) Abner Hale and his wife Jerusha;
(b) Mun Ki and his wife Nyuk Tsin; and
(c) Malama (the Alii Nui) and her husband Kelolo
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how well or poorly the following characters dealt with change, during their lifetimes: (a) Abner Hale; (b) Nyuk Tsin; and (c) Kamejiro Sakagawa.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)