|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is these men is NOT an example of a Golden Man?
2. Why do Japanese men in Hawaii want to join the U.S. military in 1942?
3. When Mun Ki is diagnosed with leprosy and sent to the leper colony on Molokai, accompanied by his pregnant wife, Char Nyuk Tsin, what do the two of them find there?
4. What happens to Shigeo's three brothers who also served in World War II?
5. Why does John Whipple come to China in 1865?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the good and bad points about the actions and decisions taken by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM) with regard to the mission work carried out in Hawaii? How might the fate of the island have been affected if no missionaries had come to Hawaii at all?
Essay Topic 2
How do you think Kamejiro Sakagawa feels, on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? Discuss the ways in which he has expressed his life-long allegiance to Japan, his feelings about Hawaii, and whether his children feel the same or differently about the day's event.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Hawaiian experience of missionary Abraham Hewlett, first with his wife Urania and then, after her death, with his wife Malia. Then compare and contrast how Hewlett was treated by Abner Hale and how he was treated by John Whipple.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)