|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next time the Fort meets, what do its members discover?
2. What happens to Hashimoto (a friend of Kamejiro's) after he marries a Hawaiian girl?
3. What does Kelly learn about Elinor as he gets to know her better?
4. What was the reaction in Hawaii to passage of the McCarren-Walter Immigration Act?
5. What does Goro's new wife think about the Sakagawa household?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident on August 19, 1916, causes hard feelings between Kamejiro and the German supervisor or "luna" under whom he works on the sugar plantation?
2. In 1946, Hoxworth Hale keeps California Fruit and Mr. McLafferty from opening a chain of supermarkets in Hawaii. In turn, what ethnic groups does Mr. McLafferty tell Hong Kong Kee that the success of California Fruit would benefit?
3. In the 1860s, John Whipple has many opportunities to observe the new Chinese workers as they settle into their lives in Hawaii. What impression do they make on him?
4. What historic event on December 7, 1941 endangers Kamejiro and his family?
5. Kee Chun Fat, who made his money in the California gold fields, tells his nephew, Mun Ki, what a Chinese must do in order to succeed in America. What is his advice?
6. In 1946, Hong Kong Kee becomes aware that he is being investigated by someone from the mainland. What local individual does he discover is behind the inquiries?
7. In November of 1899, when plague breaks out in Honolulu, what drastic step does the city take to prevent the spread of the disease, and what happens as a result?
8. In China, in the year 856 A.D., General Ching offers to lead a group of villagers in an escape from the Tartar invasion, but states that old people must stay behind. What happens when Char's elderly mother insists on joining the march?
9. Army captain Shigeo Sakagawa marches in a victory parade in Honolulu in 1946, but the occasion is a bittersweet one for him. He and his country have won the war, but Shigeo has suffered a great personal loss. What is it?
10. When Sheong Mun, the granddaughter of Nyuk Tsin, asks her family for permission to marry a white sailor, and for their blessing, how does the family react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the geographic isolation of Hawaii affect its history, from the time of King Tamatoa's arrival in the 9th century through its annexation by the United States in 1898?
Essay Topic 2
Define a "theocracy," a "monarchy," and a "democracy." Discuss the strengths and shortcomings of each, and examine how each was depicted in the novel HAWAII.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happened politically in Hawaii between the ascension of Queen Liliuokalani to the throne in 1891 and Hawaii's annexation by the United States in 1898. What actions did Micah Hale and the white politicians take, and how do you feel about the fairness of those actions?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)