|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Char Nyuk Tsin do with the first acre of land that is given to her in Hawaii?
2. What is Kee Chun Fat's advice to the men who are moving to Hawaii?
3. What happens when the Japanese Federations of Labor workers' strike is broken?
4. What does Mun Ki's boss ask him to deliver to Hawaii?
5. Hong Kong Kee receives a visit from a Boston man named Mr. McLafferty. What does Mr. McLafferty want to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Nyuk Tsin's strategy of buying up losing properties from their major competition, the Fort, a smart business move? Why or why not?
2. Identify who "the Celestials" are, and name at least one term of their employment.
3. In 1880, when relatives refuse to let young Whip Hoxworth join the family business because of his wild ways, what do they give to him instead, and what does he do with their gift?
4. In the 1860s, John Whipple has many opportunities to observe the new Chinese workers as they settle into their lives in Hawaii. What impression do they make on him?
5. In 1952, who does Malama Kanaoka learns has been appointed as trustee for the Malama Kanaoka Trust, and why is the appointment sociologically interesting?
6. Later in 1946, in the Japanese city of Yokahama, what does Shigeo notice about the involvement of women in the city's clean-up effort, and why does it seem unfair?
7. When Sheong Mun, the granddaughter of Nyuk Tsin, asks her family for permission to marry a white sailor, and for their blessing, how does the family react?
8. In the early 1920s, the Japanese workers in Hawaii stage a strike to protest low wages and poor working conditions, but the strike is broken. What outcome does the strike have for Kamejiro, whose friend Ishii-san organized it?
9. In China, in the year 856 A.D., General Ching offers to lead a group of villagers in an escape from the Tartar invasion, but states that old people must stay behind. What happens when Char's elderly mother insists on joining the march?
10. On December 10, 1941, many members of the Japanese community in Hawaii are rounded up and placed in barbed-wire enclosures. What do the descendants of the white missionary families do about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think Kamejiro Sakagawa feels, on December 7, 1941, when the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor? Discuss the ways in which he has expressed his life-long allegiance to Japan, his feelings about Hawaii, and whether his children feel the same or differently about the day's event.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast King Tamatoa of Bora Bora and his brother, Teroro. Explore the positive and negative traits of both men. Which of them do you find more admirable, and why? Please illustrate your reasons with specific examples and information from Chapter 2.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Hawaiian experience of missionary Abraham Hewlett, first with his wife Urania and then, after her death, with his wife Malia. Then compare and contrast how Hewlett was treated by Abner Hale and how he was treated by John Whipple.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)