|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who treats the Chinese workers kindly on their voyage from China to Hawaii?
2. What is the death rate at the Molokai leper colony when Mun Ki arrives?
3. Which of the following is NOT true about Kelly Kanakoa?
4. What advice does 94-year-old Char Nyuk Tsin give to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee, after the events of December 7, 1941?
5. What does Whip Hoxworth bring from Formosa and ask Char Nyuk Tsin to plant?
Essay Topic 1
Cultures and ethnic groups that are thrown together geographically have two basic choices: they can clash or they can blend. Show examples of each from HAWAII.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, after World War II, the Japanese wife of Goro Sakagama meets with Dr. Sumi Yamazaki, a young sociologist from the University of Hawaii who is making a study of Japanese women who married American G.I.s. Dr. Yamazaki's findings indicate that the happiness of those Japanese brides depends largely on whether the American husband is of Caucasian, Chinese or Japanese descent. Describe Dr. Yamazaki's findings for each of these ethnic groups, and whether you believe her theories to be true or untrue.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 3, Abner Hale and John Whipple begin as roommates at Yale, and both answer the call to do missionary work in Hawaii, but their paths soon diverge as their decisions bring them into greater and greater conflict with one another. Which of these men eventually feels more fulfilled by the life choices he has made, and why?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)