|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most of Char Nyuk Tsin's great-great-grandchildren do not know her real name. How do they refer to her?
2. Why does Micah Hale think that America will try to take over Hawaii?
3. What happens when Shigeo Sakagawa runs for a senate seat?
4. Why doesn't Kamejiro pay for college for his youngest child, his daughter Reiko?
5. What promise does Char Nyuk Tsin make to her husband, Mun Ki, at the Molokai leper colony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship shared by each of the following couples:
(a) Abner Hale and his wife Jerusha;
(b) Mun Ki and his wife Nyuk Tsin; and
(c) Malama (the Alii Nui) and her husband Kelolo
Essay Topic 2
In her 100th year, Nyuk Tsin offers the following piece of advice to her grandson, Hong Kong Kee: "If someone wants to hurt you, keep him off balance. Make him take the first step toward you, for then you can watch him coming and take precautions." Discuss how this advice applies to decisions that Nyuk Tsin has made during her long life.
Essay Topic 3
What might have happened differently if all of the missionaries who initially came to Hawaii had been like Abner Hale? What might have happened differently if they had all been like John Whipple?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)